Capita

Capita Reviews in Reading, England

2.4

Capita CEO Paul Pindar
Paul Pindar

Pros
  • good work/life balance, plenty of activities and Summer/Winter events organised (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible working and excellent training (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from senior management when dealing with operational staff (in 13 reviews)

• Sometimes acts like a new company rather than an established one and career progression is confusing (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Treat Employees as Employees not as numbers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Opportunity to work on big clients.
    Opportunity to work with some very talented people.
    Trainings
    Always keep you on Toes.

Cons

Too much Politics and clash of personalities.
    Employees are treated as numbers.
    No Benefits at lower level.
    Less Salaries.
    Poor employee retention.
    Complicated structure, its always very difficult to contact someone with in the company. Specially IT support. Everything is divided in business units and needs lot of signoffs for little thing. Which actually slows down the things.

Treat your employees as an asset and try to retain good people. Ship is sinking

Terrible at every level, except pay

Current Employee - Web Developer in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They did pay well and on time. Overtime was paid time and a half, though it was mandatory and absolutely not needed.

Cons

Everyone was a contract worker, and there was an implicit culture of unhealthy competition between employees: any colleague's success was one's failure. Officially, we had a very horizontal structure. But, in reality, some people were other people's bosses and that was made very clear: the man above me always refused to delegate anything and tried to do his job as well as the job of the three people he was supposed to supervise. He said no to any suggestion, even minor ones that would have clearly improved our product and wouldn't have cost him any time or effort. Any attempt I took to bring it up with our team leader led to the team leader to refer me back to that same person who was ignoring me.

We were encouraged not to help the other teams and to say we were overworked, but we weren't, as there was no delegation and all the junior staff had basically nothing to do. There were many other problems. A coworker was suspicious when I tried to help him: there was no trust at all between colleagues. In the end, they tried to fire me for breaking a piece of software. When I pointed out that I had fixed it, not broken it, they decided to fire me for not caring enough about the project instead. I wasn't very sad to go.

That part of Capita was very, very broken when I worked there. I'm not sure what could be done to fix it.

Private Eye's favourite big outsourcer

Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Capita

Pros

As an external contractor the pay can be excellent.
    No pointless following of methodologies.
    The possibility to work on large, genuinely important projects...

Cons

... which turned out to be a chimera as management carried out frequent reorganisations for no obviosu reason other than political infighting over budget control. There was no overall design strategy and what technlogical strategy there had been was ripped apart as part of the political machinations. An unhappy place that I was happy to depart.

Actually allow people to do the jobs they are hired to do. Not have such a ridiculous network policy that makes anyone who can avoid it.

Capita Photos