Capita Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
2.5

Capita CEO Paul Pindar
Paul Pindar

Pros
  • good work/life balance, plenty of activities and Summer/Winter events organised (in 11 reviews)

• Friendly staff, somewhat flexible working (depending on manager) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from senior management when dealing with operational staff (in 13 reviews)

• Promotions not guaranteed despite hard work-no meritocracy (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

False promises and poor company culture including bad management of projects - STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big name but you will learn nothing here, you will not progress as a developer

Cons

bad environment
    False promises from management
    Salary increases hardly ever happen
    No career progression

Learn how to treat employees!

Poor implementation of a simple delivery model

Former Employee - Agile Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Agile Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Quite a few people work from home which sounds really good for flexibility. There are internal development and research projects going on all the time.

Cons

Even though you work from home a few times, you end up working 11 hours plus a day. Due to short-term issue fixing mentality of the management, you end up working on issues without any recognition. More people needed to deliver to support overworked teams. Due to above and lack of pay increases, so many people move.

Provide strategic viewpoints rather than a fix-it now culture. Do not make changes to the organisation every year or more - not helpful for delivering solutions.

shocking employer, only focused on profits

Current Employee - Deployment Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deployment Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of internal vacancies (aka high staff turnover) if you want to move around

Cons

pay is poor, I had no appraisal for 4 years, high management turnover so no consistency in direction and approach, treat customers with a low level of care, primarily this is a profits driven organisation. there is a culture of taking no responsibility driven by poor management and low levels of employee satisfaction, very depressing company to work for.

stop talking absolute rubbish and jump off a cliff

No acknowledgement for your hard work and very poor management

Former Employee - Assistant Consultant
    Former Employee - Assistant Consultant

I worked at Capita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work experience for your CV

Cons

You are expected to do an unreasonable amount of overtime, which is under appreciated, in order to complete: work for projects that have unrealistic deadlines, 10-20 hours of mandatory training which is required to be undertaken each year and to fill in your time sheet on a weekly basis which can be very time consuming. There is also almost no training provided for graduates who are underpaid and at times the instructions for tasks given by senior staff are not clear due to members being more worried about completing their own work than helping others.

Re-think about how you treat your employees such as by letting staff know that their hard work is valued and conduct a 360 degree review of all your senior managers to get a better insight into how they are performing and to ensure they are doing their job correctly. Better management will improve your employee's job satisfaction and thus Capita's staff retention. Furthermore, this will increase your employee's motivation to produce a higher standard of work.

waste of time

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Pune (India)

I worked at Capita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

shift timings with 7 hours log in

Cons

bad management, too much of office politics

no use

Terribly disorganised and they rip off their own staff

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Capita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is such a lack of visibility of who is doing what that you can get away with not doing much work.

Cons

10% bonus described in contracts is never given to anyone except directors and above who usually get more than that. No pay rises. No personal or professional development. Completely unstructured. Almost non-existent communication from senior people. Clients choose Capita because they are cheap (and therefore rubbish). Senior positions are only given to chartered accountants, regardless of relevancy. The whole company is run by accountants who are bean counters and who place zero value on the employees. Only work for these ungrateful idiots if you like to be viewed as a "productivity unit" on a spreadsheet. Expect nothing in return for hard work. As an example: just before Christmas each year we receive an email telling us to do between 12 and 20 hours of mandatory online training that is non-billable and must be completed in our own time. Not doing it is a sackable offence. Work 20 hours one day and expect to be given some slack the next day? No way. You must bill 7.5 hours each day or face disciplinary action. Any work over 7.5 hours is a free gift to Capita and they write this into the contracts.

You need to re-evaluate the whole way your company is run by putting an emphasis on employee satisfaction. It wouldn't take much effort or money. Happy employees do good work. As it stands pretty much all of my colleagues openly hate Capita and specifically you, the upper management.

Recruitment business

I worked at Capita

Pros

There are a number of accounts that they have won

Cons

No career progression. Very much depended on who you were as to getting any opportunity.

Career maps

Nasty bullying culture. Underinvest in systems and staff

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Colleagues pleasant to work with. If you can take being shouted at then I suppose there are good opportunities for advancement as staff turnover is stratospheric

Cons

There's a nasty bullying culture that comes right down from the top. I have sat in meetings where senior managers have been shouted at. This has resulted in a staff turnover of over 60% in the IT department in the year I was there. They also underinvest in their systems (how they manage to keep their FCA approval I'll never know) so they fail a lot and there is continual pressure to fire-fight.

The Directors responsible (it is well known at corporate level who they are) should be sacked.

Underpaid is an understatement.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Capita

Pros

Other staff on your level are good.

Cons

Quick staff turnaround because of how we are treated. I'm working on one of Capitas big contracts in the UK but to say I'm overworked is an understatement. I get paid just over £15k and find myself at the point of walking out the office everyday. Lunch breaks are a thing of the past thanks to being given the workload of 4 people and getting no sympathy from a team leader. Training is no good as it in no way prepared us for the job in hand and team leaders got the same training as workers. Capita are extremely money focused so management will take on more work than their teams can handle as it will make them more money and they don't have to do the work.

I wake up each morning thinking of a way I can get myself dismissed so I don't have to pay the extortionate training fee for the training that didn't help me do my job. When you ask for help you get pointed to someone, then they will point you, then they will and so on.

My advice is unless you can speak to someone working at capita where you will be working, don't do it.

Did I mention that in my first month I get fined by bank and insurance because capita paid me 2 weeks late? Yeah...they lost my bank information.

Sort it out, think of your workers and you will probably make more money than just throwing 300% workload at them...no one should get paid £15k and feel like they are running a multinational empire which has come under fire from the media and is about to collapse.

Horrific- will not leave me alone even now!

Former Employee - Call Handler in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Call Handler in London, England (UK)

I worked at Capita full-time (more than an year)

Pros

atmosphere. training... formality/ professional and sometimes helpful

Cons

salary-
    after leaving in 2010- I was asked for an overpayment of salary to be paid back. I did not understand this and asked again for support. I was later ignored and felt it was a mistake by them.
    4 years later......... I receive letters from debt collectors! a separate body. I then go the CAB for support....the CAB wrote a letter requesting a breakdown of overpayment.....and the debt collectors have funny enough not received this? unfortunately they still have not responded. now when I don't receive letters- its BIG, I then get threats of having doorstep collectors arrive at my house and so on.
    does not sound very fair, especially writing this.

to accept responsibility of their mistakes. not involve unnecessary bodies as they may worsen a situation.

Capita Photos

Mazars House, Gelderd Road, Gildersome (Photo thanks to Geograph user Humphrey Bolton, Some Rights Reserved)
Capita (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anne Burgess, Some Rights Reserved)
Capita Symonds, Treforest Industrial Estate (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)
Capita (Photo thanks to Geograph user Anne Burgess, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo