Capita

Capita Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Capita CEO Paul Pindar

Paul Pindar

Pros
  • good work/life balance, plenty of activities and Summer/Winter events organised (in 10 reviews)

• Not minimum wage, fairly easy to change working hours as long as the department has availability, and also has some decent people working there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from senior management when dealing with operational staff (in 8 reviews)

• Sometimes acts like a new company rather than an established one and career progression is confusing (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Nasty bullying culture. Underinvest in systems and staff

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsColleagues pleasant to work with. If you can take being shouted at then I suppose there are good opportunities for advancement as staff turnover is stratospheric

ConsThere's a nasty bullying culture that comes right down from the top. I have sat in meetings where senior managers have been shouted at. This has resulted in a staff turnover of over 60% in the IT department in the year I was there. They also underinvest in their systems (how they manage to keep their FCA approval I'll never know) so they fail a lot and there is continual pressure to fire-fight.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Directors responsible (it is well known at corporate level who they are) should be sacked.

Active barriers to growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of work/experience at entry level

Cons1. Pay
    2. Top heavy with inward looking, unresponsive management
    3. Barriers to progression
    4. Barriers to involvement and innovation
    5. Poor communication systems

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less formulic and, work on staff involvement and strategic thinking.

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsGood leave policy and good transport facility.

ConsCompensation not as per the performance and no growth opportunities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate surveyor

Graduate Surveyor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood working environment
    Easy going

ConsCan get boring at times

Advice to Senior Managementwork needs to be organized

A highly dynamic work structure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe size of the organisation means there are plenty of opportunities to develop your career.

ConsPay is generally less than the market industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that everybody has an equal chance.

Underpaid is an understatement.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsOther staff on your level are good.

ConsQuick staff turnaround because of how we are treated. I'm working on one of Capitas big contracts in the UK but to say I'm overworked is an understatement. I get paid just over £15k and find myself at the point of walking out the office everyday. Lunch breaks are a thing of the past thanks to being given the workload of 4 people and getting no sympathy from a team leader. Training is no good as it in no way prepared us for the job in hand and team leaders got the same training as workers. Capita are extremely money focused so management will take on more work than their teams can handle as it will make them more money and they don't have to do the work.

I wake up each morning thinking of a way I can get myself dismissed so I don't have to pay the extortionate training fee for the training that didn't help me do my job. When you ask for help you get pointed to someone, then they will point you, then they will and so on.

My advice is unless you can speak to someone working at capita where you will be working, don't do it.

Did I mention that in my first month I get fined by bank and insurance because capita paid me 2 weeks late? Yeah...they lost my bank information.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort it out, think of your workers and you will probably make more money than just throwing 300% workload at them...no one should get paid £15k and feel like they are running a multinational empire which has come under fire from the media and is about to collapse.

Ok experience, slightly prepared me for university

Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsSmall office environment, training courses available.

ConsNo structure for training, left on your own,

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove graduate training

Think twice before you join

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Bedford, England (UK)

ProsNice friendly place to work in.

ConsVery less to learn new things. same old software using from long time.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide traning to the employees, reduce the cost of software for the customer.

Service Desk Analysis - be wary of every move you make

Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) Weybridge, England (UK)

ProsThe benefit of working at Capita for me was to learn what and how a call center agents handle our requests, complaints, enquire and advise. As I got to work for a big company like Capita, reasonable pay

ConsLack of training, no progression, no management support

Advice to Senior Managementprovide some training, progression and a little respect

Great for career opportunities - communication not great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newcastle, England (UK)

Pros- very good at investing in staff training wise - keen to see people progress
    - good work/life balance, plenty of activities and Summer/Winter events organised
    - senior management are very approachable
    - encouraged to give ideas on how to improve client relationships and business in general

Cons- long working hours and fairly stressful
    - communication between the top senior managers isn't great - can definitely be improved
    - not much feedback to staff on what goes on or is discussed (regarding work) between senior managers
    - salary not that great compared to other companies

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more with all staff and don't keep them in the dark with issues etc

Worked for Capita? Contribute to the Community!