Capital Bank Reviews

Updated February 27, 2015
27 reviews filtered by
2.3
R. Eugene Taylor

1. Retail-focused SE regional bank steadily growing with smart acquisitions, strong Sr. management, and lots of capital

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- top notch well-qualified Senior Management.
    - Great entry level / first "career" full time job.
    - Well capitalized bank and therefore a stable job
    - Kind and respectful co-workers

Cons

- Compensation wasn't the best but it was a steady salary and the benefits were solid
    - Investment in technology / upgraded computer equipment needed

DON'T WORK HERE!!!!

I worked at Capital Bank

Pros

nothing is good About this place trust me

Cons

Calling people and harassing them your jus a number to them and staying late

Let people actually come to work happy and leave jion time

Very happy with bank that has growing pains

Current Employee - Commercial Team Vice President
    Current Employee - Commercial Team Vice President

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) I am lucky to have a great direct boss that is very knowledgable. This may not be the case for many others in the company which could be a contributing factor to why I am so positive.
    2) Decent pay with good benefits/PTO
    3) Growing bank with clear vision (some may not like the vision, but it is clear; it is all about sales and growth).
    4) knowledgable leadership that goes out of their way to make employees feel important (as long as you are not on a sales call and missing your numbers).
    5) Right balance of pressuring employees to succeed without over stressing. Good understanding need for family life.

Cons

1) the company has very little diversity at the VP level and above.
    2) Management at times use degrading techniques as sales motivators.
    3) the business plan involves buying failed banks and turning them around. Due to this there are employees from the previous purchased banks that don't like the change and can be vocal at times. Many of these are gone now and as they are weeded out, this improves overall moral.
    4) technology is improving, but is still behind the ball.

Better training materials and defined expectations for new hires. Need activities to have different segments of the bank to meet each other (ie business bankers, commercial team, retail and wealth management all seem to operate independent). Creating cross team activities would improve ability to work together and provide better customer solutions.

Anyone who says good things about this bank are the executive management team trying to fake you out.

Current Employee - Vice President Special Assets in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Vice President Special Assets in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of working here...people from the VP level down are great.

Cons

Too many to list. People above VP level are in it for themselves, no respect for anything or anyone. The bank is going down.

High compensation and low competency. Serious lack of diversity - potential EEOC issues.

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Up and coming bank - might have opportunities one day??

Cons

The people working here in management are in these positions because of their friendships or family connections. How can you be an SVP and have only worked at one small bank (former TIB Bank) your entire career? How can you be a senior level manager with responsibilities to mentor and lead other managers yet you've NEVER done anything those managers are required to do (manage a branch? take loans???). Also, there are NO people of color (brown people) in senior level positions. Yet the brown people that work there all have education and experience - far greater than those who are in higher level positions. There are no Black managers... Seems like the "Good ol'boy" network is well at work there.

Hire qualified people - folks who have expertise, education and experience - not your friends or relatives. Create a diversity team - focus on inclusion - you accomplish more with a diverse workforce than you do with a plain vanilla one...

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not Many - Health Insurance and vacation.

Cons

They are too busy trying to expand that they forget to take care of their current staff and technologies.

They should fix their internal issues before acquiring more banks.

8. Nice change of pace

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Went from a big name bank to a smaller community bank and it has been a welcome change. Yes, the pace is much slower but the push to sell products is definitely not there. The starting salary I was offered was surprisingly great; much more than the other "big name" banks. Co-workers are nice and overall easy to get along with. I just started a month ago but so far I am happy with the change and think this will be a better place to retire from.

Cons

The benefits could be much better. There is no match in your 401K until possibly the end of the year at a max of about 1%. I will know more once I hit the end of the year.

I have been working in the banking environment for over 15 years and there is no need to micro manage your employees unless given a reason to.

Career Suicide

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro that I could think of is the location was close to my home. There aren't any other pros for this company.

Cons

After the conversion from Green Bank, it went downhill. Customers have left in droves. They can't retain talent. Career suicide comes to mind. Do not work in the Tennessee market.

Capital Bank Distrust

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time

Pros

Worked with great peers in local branches

Cons

Leadership was very divisive and untrusting

11. Too Concerned with Expantion. Not enough focus on day to day.

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only positives I can think of for working at Capital Bank would be the health insurance and they observe all federal bank holidays.

Cons

The biggest problem I faced was horrible management. I worked in a branch with an Assistant Branch Manager who was there daily and the Branch Manager was rarely there but instead managing a home branch. This person had no clue what was taking place in the branch on a daily basis. This is a common practice for the area I worked in. My ABM allowed favorites to arrive late on a daily basis, never make sales goals, use the bank as their personal dating service, and generally behave with no professionalism at all; others like myself were expected to pick up the slack and looked at under a microscope by the ABM. All the while the Branch Manager knew nothing about what was really going on. At one point the ABM attempted to give my sales credit to a "buddy." Meanwhile, I had done all the work only to have the sales credit and incentive taken away knowing I had made the sale. If it had not been for an honest employee in another department, this extreme dishonesty would have slid by and the Branch Manager would have been none the wiser. What really made me question working for this company was that the ABM was never reprimanded for this but instead has since been promoted to Branch Manager.

Pay attention to what happens in your branches! If you want employees to consistently produce results and stay with Capital they have to be working in a positive environment! This means management must be the right person for the job. Some people just are not management material. After being in several branches at Capital, this is a common issue. If you don't start doing a better job of finding out what goes on in your branches on a daily basis by listening to employes, don't ever expect to expand.