Capital Bank

Capital Bank Reviews

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.4

Capital Bank President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Capital Bank B. Grant Yarber
B. Grant Yarber

Great people, good working environment, no internal promotions.

I have been working at Capital Bank

Pros

The people are good, and very lively environment. This Bank is beginning to emerge as the Washington, DC's leader among all community banks, so they are experiencing their growing pains. Slowly but surely, they are getting things right. There is very little turnover.

Cons

No upward mobility. All hires are brought in outside the company. Small bonuses. Benefits could be a lot better. No tuition reimbursement, no outside training nor any outside education offered to make you more valuable and knowledgable.

Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not Many - Health Insurance and vacation.

Cons

They are too busy trying to expand that they forget to take care of their current staff and technologies.

They should fix their internal issues before acquiring more banks.

Nice change of pace

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Went from a big name bank to a smaller community bank and it has been a welcome change. Yes, the pace is much slower but the push to sell products is definitely not there. The starting salary I was offered was surprisingly great; much more than the other "big name" banks. Co-workers are nice and overall easy to get along with. I just started a month ago but so far I am happy with the change and think this will be a better place to retire from.

Cons

The benefits could be much better. There is no match in your 401K until possibly the end of the year at a max of about 1%. I will know more once I hit the end of the year.

I have been working in the banking environment for over 15 years and there is no need to micro manage your employees unless given a reason to.

Capital Bank Distrust

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time

Pros

Worked with great peers in local branches

Cons

Leadership was very divisive and untrusting

Career Suicide

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro that I could think of is the location was close to my home. There aren't any other pros for this company.

Cons

After the conversion from Green Bank, it went downhill. Customers have left in droves. They can't retain talent. Career suicide comes to mind. Do not work in the Tennessee market.

Too Concerned with Expantion. Not enough focus on day to day.

Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only positives I can think of for working at Capital Bank would be the health insurance and they observe all federal bank holidays.

Cons

The biggest problem I faced was horrible management. I worked in a branch with an Assistant Branch Manager who was there daily and the Branch Manager was rarely there but instead managing a home branch. This person had no clue what was taking place in the branch on a daily basis. This is a common practice for the area I worked in. My ABM allowed favorites to arrive late on a daily basis, never make sales goals, use the bank as their personal dating service, and generally behave with no professionalism at all; others like myself were expected to pick up the slack and looked at under a microscope by the ABM. All the while the Branch Manager knew nothing about what was really going on. At one point the ABM attempted to give my sales credit to a "buddy." Meanwhile, I had done all the work only to have the sales credit and incentive taken away knowing I had made the sale. If it had not been for an honest employee in another department, this extreme dishonesty would have slid by and the Branch Manager would have been none the wiser. What really made me question working for this company was that the ABM was never reprimanded for this but instead has since been promoted to Branch Manager.

Pay attention to what happens in your branches! If you want employees to consistently produce results and stay with Capital they have to be working in a positive environment! This means management must be the right person for the job. Some people just are not management material. After being in several branches at Capital, this is a common issue. If you don't start doing a better job of finding out what goes on in your branches on a daily basis by listening to employes, don't ever expect to expand.

Very rewarding

I worked at Capital Bank full-time

Pros

Potential for growth, team approach, competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

experiencing a few "growing pains" as they work through their business model. Workload can be heavy at times.

Grant Yarber hasn't been CEO of the company for over 3 years

Deposit Operations

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual.. thats all I can say

Cons

Upper management is a joke, selling is main goal, no room for advancement.

Stop w the big bank thinking.

I'm a ROBOT, not an EMPLOYEE.

Former Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Capital Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was satisfying for no banking experience. Staff and other co-workers were wonderful.

Cons

No incentive plan for opening accounts; only verbal recognition. SELL, SELL, SELL was the motto in this establishment. Stressful weekly huddle calls, team sell plans, and upper MICRO-management. Consumer Market Managers believed this bank was a Wells Fargo or Bank Of America. Required to make sales calls to people who wanted NO extra accounts.

STOP treating your employees like robots. It's stressful to have to deal with life issues, then deal with the stress of workload. We're tellers, not telemarketers. Customers shouldn't have to be annoyed with calls from us everyday of the week because you all bought too many banks. Stop biting off more than you can chew & spending money on unnecessary things(flights, rental cars) update your systems. The computers were generic Windows computers(not even a Dell nor an HP). The banking system is so outdated & un-user friendly. FOCUS ON THE EMPLOYEE, CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND WELLBEING first.

Small Big Bank

I have been working at Capital Bank

Pros

Small enough that you know a lot of people from different branches

Cons

Upper management believe this small bank is a BoA or Wells Fargo. Not enough focus on employees

Add incentives to employees. Nobody believes a $25 gift card put into a raffle to be won by one person out of hundreds is an incentive.