Capital Bank Reviews

Capital Bank Chairman & CEO R. Eugene Taylor
R. Eugene Taylor

1. TC

I have been working at Capital Bank

Pros

Great team environment, great products and customers

Cons

Low pay, no raises, stressful environment

2. Teller

Current Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Teller in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady pay, relatively calm work environment, free coffee, banker's hours

Cons

Outdated technology, lack of competitive products to offer, management completely out of touch, sales pressure at every position without incentives pushing products and features that likely aren't even in the customer's best interest, health and retirement benefits not even close to industry standard. My manager isn't even trained on the teller side and defers most platform functions to our personal banker (who is actually fantastic at her job, by the way). Training focuses on teller systems but puts no focus at all on true customer service and it shows. Upper Management are more concerned with keeping the bank growing just enough to stay above water until it is bought by a bigger bank. In my 8 months, I've made contact with the Consumer Market Manager a handful of times and the Consumer Market Executive once. There is very little continuity unless you've got a branch manager who really works to make their team feel connected to the rest of the bank. The turnover is higher than in my previous industry...I worked in a restaurant. Also, the region-wide chain e-mails that get started sometimes make me want to jump through a glass window.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they won't listen. Bigger banks are evolving the way they think about customer service, as are many community banks. This one will be left in the dust unless they're acquired by a better institution.

3. Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Capital Bank (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money and training, lot of support and positive feedback for growth. Management was very professional and educated on services and programs.

Cons

Market conditions and constant change of rates and programs made it difficult to close and provide customer service. Test was very difficult and tedious.

Advice to Management

Provide better education Preparation for the test and license along with paid training until you have passed the national and state exam.

5. personal banker

I worked at Capital Bank

Pros

Good benefits Medical vacation and holidays.

Cons

Employees from the big banks think they are doing a good job. Not!

Advice to Management

Support your staff. You are still a small Bank.

6. Customer Service/Teller

I worked at Capital Bank full-time

Pros

Hours, location and I had some good coworkers.

Cons

So many to say! Sales pressure, micromanager that stood over you the entire time and observed you selling unnecessary products to customers. If you care about customers and take pride in where you work then RUN! They cannot keep employees or customers!!!

Advice to Management

You need to control the enormous turnover of both customers and employees. Take pride and make this bank a better environment for everybody.

7. banker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Capital Bank (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers and good hours

Cons

Lots of sales pressure and no raises

8. Teller

Current Employee - Teller in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teller in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Capital Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours...but that goes with every bank, so it isn't necessarily a unique pro. My coworkers

Cons

Almost everything else No incentive for goals Illegal Business Practices Customers and Employees leaving in droves Extremely sales oriented with absolutely no care for employee or customer happiness.

Advice to Management

My favorite phrase they use is something like "helping our customers to discover products and services that are right for them." This translates to, "we are trying to suck as much out of this as we can before we turn around and sell this thing to someone else." Sales-driven is an understatement as it is all you hear about all day every day. Say you are too busy actually servicing customers to respond to a never-ending barrage of emails about people's goal numbers for the day, they will send you a personal, condescending email asking you why you've been so quiet. BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DOING MY JOB? They are more concerned with money than actually helping and understanding the needs of the customers they already have. Customer retention is low, and that is because their ability to accomodate customers is directly proportional to how much money that customer has. They have absolutely now knowledge of what actually goes on at the branches, yet pretend to be supportive and helpful to both employees and customers. You are constantly berated to make sales calls and referrals with no incentive. Incentivizing people is what makes people work towards goals. You want me to sell to these customers when you are giving me absolutely nothing AND I know that what you want me to sell to them is definitely NOT the best product for them? Yea. Good luck with that. Illegal Business Practices: they frequently ask folks to bring their lunches to work since almost every branch is constantly short-staffed. The full-time tellers and our personal banker often work without lunch when I am not there to relieve them, which is completely illegal. On top of that, many incur overtime because we are short-staffed. They do not like this, and push you up against a wall by explicitly barring you from getting overtime, which is necessary if you do not want your branch closing down early or opening late because your employees are 'over' on their time. Want to drive customers away even more quickly? Keep telling the people who service them every day that they must leave as soon as they have hit 40 hours and see what happens. If you don't take care of your people, your customers and your employees, you will have nothing. Trying to brand yourself as a "Southeastern community bank" is an absolute joke. You don't even understand what the word community means.

DON'T WORK HERE!!!!

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Capital Bank

Pros

nothing is good About this place trust me

Cons

Calling people and harassing them your jus a number to them and staying late

Advice to Management

Let people actually come to work happy and leave jion time

Retail-focused SE regional bank steadily growing with smart acquisitions, strong Sr. management, and lots of capital

I worked at Capital Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- top notch well-qualified Senior Management. - Great entry level / first "career" full time job. - Well capitalized bank and therefore a stable job - Kind and respectful co-workers

Cons

- Compensation wasn't the best but it was a steady salary and the benefits were solid - Investment in technology / upgraded computer equipment needed

Very happy with bank that has growing pains

Current Employee - Commercial Team Vice President
    Current Employee - Commercial Team Vice President

I have been working at Capital Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) I am lucky to have a great direct boss that is very knowledgable. This may not be the case for many others in the company which could be a contributing factor to why I am so positive. 2) Decent pay with good benefits/PTO 3) Growing bank with clear vision (some may not like the vision, but it is clear; it is all about sales and growth). 4) knowledgable leadership that goes out of their way to make employees feel important (as long as you are not on a sales call and missing your numbers). 5) Right balance of pressuring employees to succeed without over stressing. Good understanding need for family life.

Cons

1) the company has very little diversity at the VP level and above. 2) Management at times use degrading techniques as sales motivators. 3) the business plan involves buying failed banks and turning them around. Due to this there are employees from the previous purchased banks that don't like the change and can be vocal at times. Many of these are gone now and as they are weeded out, this improves overall moral. 4) technology is improving, but is still behind the ball.

Advice to Management

Better training materials and defined expectations for new hires. Need activities to have different segments of the bank to meet each other (ie business bankers, commercial team, retail and wealth management all seem to operate independent). Creating cross team activities would improve ability to work together and provide better customer solutions.

RSS Feed </> Embed