Capital BlueCross

Intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Capital BlueCross

Pros

Very nice place to work. Everyone is extremely helpful and nice. Would love to continue working here after my internship is finished

Cons

Sometimes you have to seek out new projects to get involved with.

The worst experience I've EVER had to deal with in my adult work life.....EVER.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Capital BlueCross as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There are some very nice people working there as well. It's a very laid back environment, but that's also part of the problem.

Cons

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE management who couldn't work their way out of a wet paper bag. The left hand couldn't tell you what the right was remotely doing. VERY entitled, not outsider friendly if you're new to the company and think of "mean girls", that about sums it up. Don't think you're going to get any training lol, more like here's your folder of meaningless email and figure it out.

Get a clue....

A pleasant experience for the majority of my time at CBC, until restructuring & cutbacks, caused a hostile environment

Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Capital BlueCross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the first couple of years it was a very pleasant work environment and the structure of the company made sense. (Even though we still were very top heavy with so many directors and managers it was unreal.) But, it was very much a family atmosphere. The end users that I supported treated me with the upmost respect and I received dozens of emails from all levels of the company even senior level executives whom i provided executive technical support to, for most of my career there. When the economy went down and job cuts started happening and they decided to reorganize everything, is when things began to crumble, and has only gotten worse. But for the most part, It was a god company that I enjoyed waking up to everyday. A job that didn't even seem like a job because I was doing what i love and I worked with a great group of people in my department and got to support and work with great people all over the company. The pay was competitive, with nice bonuses as long as the company meets it's goal for the year.

Cons

Since the economy crashed, CBC cut back on it's work force, and has done multiple reorganizations of departments, Some don't make any sense at all. The worst part of this is that Every single employee has suffered because of the lower amount of employees, workers are expected to take on a workload that is so overwhelming, it has turned a company full of happy people and a solid unit of people willing to work together as a team and help one another when one is in need of assistance. These days, Everyone seems to be beyond stressed and can barely keep their head above water. In fact it's gotten so bad that many employees don't even get along anymore because of a situation regarding a task that may of needed completed by one person ended up falling into the hands of another and it's this non stop bickering between employees on who carries more of the workload. The younger workforce does take on a great deal more than the tenured staff who know that they have been there so long and that they can coast through the rest of the years at CBC before retirement that they are not pulling their weight what so ever and the jobs they do take on are the easiest to complete. Jobs that could easily be taken care of by inexpensive interns or contractors which the company or at least a lot of the areas don't take advantage of anymore. Since, i've left, i've kept in touch with some, and every single last one of them is seeking employment elsewhere due to this unrealistic workload that no one can achieve. People sick of the hostile work environment that has developed, and people are just miserable. I understand it's the economy and most places are doing these types of things but CBC has taken to a whole new level and a lot of people have been hanging in there for years but the problem only has been getting worse to the point that it effects there personal lives, and has made some of the most pleasant people turn into irritable, short fused and just down right nasty to their co workers. It's a shame because, before the reorganizations of the departments, we had good teams lead by great managers and everything ran like a well oiled machine. Everyone got a long, we as a team would have group outings at least once a month because we all were friends and worked great together and it brought the team closer together. CBC was good to me over the years, but from what i've witness and been through, i'm glad that i'm no longer an employee there. I think the problem is only going to get worse and I see certain areas being outsourced all together and everyone that works in these ares knows it because the writing is all over the wall.

Too Top Heavy. Seems to be a director and managers for every little thing instead of combining areas together or giving a Director/manager a little bit more responsibility. This has been a complaint of almost every employee at Capital Blue Cross. They have the money to spend big money on Directors, Senior Directors, Managers and paying them what only we can assume as a huge salary compared to the salaries of the rest of the employees.

Started off great and progressively got worse as economy and the success of company goes downhill.

Former Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Capital BlueCross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people that you work with for the most part. Everyone is friendly. But is getting worse as workloads increase due to decline in the businesses success which has caused less people to do a lot more.

Cons

Too many VPs, Directors, Managers. Very top heavy. Goal system is dept. or "team" goals. Meaning select few do a lot more work than others without being compensated for it. Tenure employees get to coast by doing minimum amount. If work. When I started it was a positive and family atmosphere, as economy and the business suffered, more layoffs occurred, which lead to restructuring of departments that didn't make any sense. Company is going downhill along with the moral of its workers.

Make the company less top heavy. And break down the silo'd IT department that doesn't work together. But each dept. looks after itself and meeting there goals. Don't burn out your employees. Senior employees should be held to the same standards as the hard workers that each department has that make up for the majority of the workload.

Nice people, too top heavy

Former Employee - Intern in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Capital BlueCross as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Had an exciting internship experience and met many new, wonderful people. Most people are friendly and easy to talk to.

Cons

There were many days in which there was absolutely nothing for me to do.

Better than some employers

I have been working at Capital BlueCross

Pros

As a seasoned customer service rep, I appreciate that the management in this organization does not micro-manage. They provide you the opportunity to do your work without having to be told what you need to do. Reps are more likely to perform at their best as long as this continues. Co-workers are very friendly and will do what they can to help you in any way, as will most of the supervisors. If you perform to best of your ability, at some point, it may be noticed, affording you the opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Nepotism is VERY alive here. Although you can advance, be sure to know who your competition is. There are MANY reps who have been promoted and not had to follow standard promotion rules because their mothers' are employees within the organization.

The systems that reps have to use to view accounts seem to be stuck in the 80's. Way too many places to go within the system to find information, which can create longer talk time. I am also sad that there is no diversity in management. Within the customer service unit, there is one African American supervisor, which is a bit disturbing that an organization such as this doesn't promote any type of diversity. There are also not many males in the department either. This seems sexist.

Hire more ethnic groups not only to answer your phones, but to help manage the representatives. Update the systems to assist representatives in their every day duties. Hire more males, especially those of color. Stop allowing someone to be promoted based on their parent and promote based on quality of work and experience.

Hypocrisy is the best policy here.

Current Employee - Who the Hell Cares? in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Who the Hell Cares? in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Capital BlueCross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best reason to work here is the on-site cafeteria, the gym and Tai Chi classes. You'll need it, after all the BS around you.

Cons

It's very nauseating day after day to put up with empty words about change, new ideas and inaction at the same time. Don't even think about challenging or questioning the current state of affairs, you'll either be black listed and will never get a raise or be shown the door for asking intelligent questions.

Talent, skill and intellect come to Capital Blue Cross to die a suffocating and painful death. Monotonous, boring, slow, extreme red tape and a culture of favoritism are JUST a few of the things wrong with this company.

Some of the people in HR are good but the entire department seems to follow what online salary sites like Payscale.com and Salary.com suggest the annual compensation should be, even though an individual is worth more than their rock bottom salaries and has a lot more experience than the position requires and can utilize a potential candidate's past experience.

Please don't low ball candidates on the salary and take advantage of their situation when they are desperately in need of a job and seems as if the potential candidate is being nickel and dimed on the negotiating table, looks cheap on the company's part.

If you can't pay someone depending on their years of experience and skill level, it is better to be upfront and honest about the candidate's over qualification for the stated job than to play hard ball with someone and push them into a corner.

Never hire a non-technical manager to run a technical project and vice-versa. Listen, learn and adapt new trends in technology instead of trying mash up things in one place, like different business processes.

Wearing business casual doesn't make the company a better place, even though we interact indirectly with customers. It's the ideas an individual has that matter, not how they look.

Absolutely wonderful, amazing.

Current Employee - Other Party Liability Specialist in Lemoyne, PA
    Current Employee - Other Party Liability Specialist in Lemoyne, PA

I have been working at Capital BlueCross

Pros

CBC is a main stay here in Central Pa, and knowing that I am a small part of a great company providing serivce to our members make me proud. Capital treats it's employees fairly and with respect. Provides us with Health Insurance and a minimal cost compared to other businesses

Cons

Way too many Vice Presidents within the company. We went without raises for a year and a half and during that time multiple individuals were named as Vice Presidents.

Be more open with your employees. We all know how the market is, and everyone is struggling. Just be honest

Good place though hard time for health plans especially smaller ones like this.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Capital BlueCross

Pros

Many good people, fair treatment, nice atmosphere, good work and personal balance, if you work really hard and don't let things get to you it is rewarding. A lot of new ideas getting aired people looking for creative solutions more than in the past.

Cons

Nobody is quite sure what is next. It is starting to create more stress. There were recent layoffs and the culture is still digesting that. Not enough general industry expertise developed through management leadership or professional development.

Do few things but do them well. Don't approve anything without knowing how it will actually happen. If things get pulled in too many more directions the wheels will come off.

Thank God Anita Smith is gone!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Capital BlueCross

Pros

Competitive entry-level pay with great benefits. With Anita Smith gone, company morale is on the rise.

Cons

very mechanistic management style with very little opportunity for advancement given to employees. the promote-from-within philosophy does not apply at Capital BlueCross, which leaves most employees at a halt in regards to advancing in the company.

Listen to William Lehr. Not only is he a genius but also a Notre Dame grad. Go Irish!