Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

1. Destructive Politics

Current Employee - Manager IT in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manager IT in Albany, NY

I have been working at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Great Physical work environment, wellness programs and employee training programs. Employee training and development is valued and encouraged.

Cons

Destructive politics prevents senior management from identifying and addressing the real problems in the company: inexperienced financial management, chronic system configuration issues and IT management

Advice to Management

If you don't admit it, you can't fix it. Board of directors should look closely at the C level execs to see where the true problems lie, and clean house

Questioning Morale

I have been working at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Salary

Cons

Slow reimbursement, different rules for employee favorites, no benefits position. Unusual contractual rules for reimbursement that make little sense.

Advice to Management

Manage using one to one direction instead of utilizing punitive measures. Especially for non-critical situations easily rectified with a respectful conversation. Micromanagement with nitpicking costs morale & enthusiasm. As one of the regions largest insurers, it would be logical to offer discounted rates for their own part time employees.

3. Great Company

I have been working at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Very pleasant working environment. Company seems to care about employees.

Cons

Long hours for many salaried employees

Advice to Management

Working over 40 hours in a week should be the exception and not the rule.

It's a decent place to work

I worked at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Many, many good people here. Smart, efficient, helpful.
    * Lots of perks for full-time staff like a fitness center and great cafe with real chefs preparing the food
    * Great company values for the most part.
    * Decent work-life balance as long as you work at maintaining it.
    * Great training opportunities.

Cons

* Can be a very political organization and it can be difficult to navigate this terrain at first.
    * If you don't manage work-life balance, they won't do it for you and you can find yourself working extreme hours.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and communicative with every level of staff within the organization. Ensure your staff understands your current and upcoming priorities very clearly and you'll enjoy a greater level of performance and effectiveness from all of them.

6. Great company with very good benefits

I have been working at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary, benefits, working environment. Management communicates regularly with staff.

Cons

No sick leave and inconsistent work/life balance across departments

7. Financial Analyst

I worked at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Fiscally solid company with good health benefits, $0 monthly premiums for employees and family.

Cons

Finance department management: demanding, unfair, unreasonable. no training,/mentoring. Brutal working environment, well-beyond inherent job related stress of a 'fast paced' shop.

Advice to Management

TRAIN, MENTOR, DEVELOP A HEART FOR YOUR STAFF!

Good Intentions

Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Great benefits, gym and cafeteria on site, lots of talent and family oriented atmosphere.

Cons

Bandaided system management, several reorganizations, can't seem to get out of their own way a lot of the times due to interdepartmental silos.

Advice to Management

Invest in better systems and current talent, might want to take it easy on the reorganizations as they seem to be becoming the norm, communication across the organization should be a priority

Do yourself a favor...do not even remotely consider working here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I worked at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

Good salary and annual adjustments
    Good benefits
    Great location (although parking is a hassle)
    Excellent cafeteria
    Work out work

Cons

The executive leadership team of this company will never get it done. They are immature, archaic, unprofessional, dinosaurs that do not even realize that they lack the ability to lead this company out of its deeply sinking hole. This company buys its way to a rating amongst "Best Places to Work". Very few employees are actually happy. The ones that are miserable don't even bother to fill out the surveys for fear of being discovered.

Leadership proudly boasts about their strong-arming capabilities in the healthcare space, which is a joke, and declares even more loudly, that they will "not change" their methods. Philosophies like that will do two things: (1) make it impossible to hire or retain good people (which btw, you need) and (2) put you out of business fast....Keep in mind, of course, anyone who is interested can access their publicly available filings to see how deep the hole really is. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, despite what leadership may say.....There is an iceberg, waiting to bring down the Titanic.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself.
    Truly look in the mirror, and at the other more successful health plans out there. Stop saying that we are better or no different than anyone else. We are, and we should be. Realize that the way to success is in making the most difficult of decisions, and that sometimes, just sometimes, the problem is not everyone else, but actually yourself.

This company will never change its outlook, its culture, or correct its overwhelming dysfunction if it can't acknowledge that major change is needed. Not just with tools, and resources, but in the highest level leadership ranks. If you are an "SVP" or a "CXX", you should realize....you simply are not getting it done, and you never will.

Sinking ship

I worked at Capital District Physicians' Health Plan

Pros

The people (most of them have been there many years) are mainly nice and family oriented. The working environment is highly team oriented and most people work well together.

Cons

Old technologies, penny pinching, lay offs, micro management. Overall, it's a slow moving payer that is trying to salvage itself in the face of the health exchanges. The smart will leave while the ship's still afloat.

Advice to Management

Stop being set in your ways and do what it takes to make the company more competitive.

11. I loved my job, felt satisfied at the end of the day and wish I were still there.

Former Employee - RN Medical Case Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - RN Medical Case Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

I encourage most of my friends to apply to CDPHP because I felt at the time the opportunities to advance were there, they offered many health related benefits and community services to volunteer for, etc. An all around great company. The head of the company, Dr. Bennett, is a wonderful person, past cardiologist, knows his stuff and wonderful to all the employees. Great training, love their company values and mission.

Cons

I didnt think there were any..... until I was called down to HR in the middle of the day and was told I was being terminated. No reason was given, they said they didnt have to give me one. I was not permitted to go back up to my desk, all my personal belongings were brought down to me, and because I had so much in my desk (I was there 3.5 years) they had to ship the rest to me. Can you imagine how I felt? Especially not knowing what I had done wrong. I wasnt the perfect employee...I had opinions which sometimes caused discussions between myself and my supervisors/managers, but not anything to be terminated for. I was told at the time I could always reapply, which I did many times without any response. Then I thought, why would they say I could reapply when they were letting me go?
    That was a devastating moment for me. See how loyal I am? I still wish I worked there and I speak very highly of the company.

Advice to Management

The compensation can always be better anywhere and CDPHP is no exception, but they were pretty good salary-wise. I also think just because a person has been a Supervisor elsewhere, or in a company for a long time as a Supervisor, doesnt mean they should be given the power that some of thm thought they had...and micro manage everyone. We are all professional Nurses and Social Workers, in the department I was in yet treated as if we were their children. Now that I a writing this I realize tht was a big thing for me. I felt second guessed alot by my Supervisor.

Capital District Physicians' Health Plan Photos