Capital Gazette Communications

Capital Gazette Communications Reviews

2.2

James Brown
1 Rating

A great place to teach yourself

Former Employee - Production Artist in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Capital Gazette Communications

Pros

When I was there, it really was a family atmosphere. Lots of married couples, siblings and lifers. It was very supportive emotionally. It also gave me the opportunity to cut my teeth in a fast-pased, deadline driven environment, while working with lots of different advertisers.

Cons

I felt that there was so much more potential for the department. Training was virtually nil, and it became apparent over the course of several years that employee development in the Production Department was not a priority. Cutting costs was the priority. Turnover was high, and each new crop was paid about as little as possible, so the quality of recruits diminished considerably over time. That ends up giving everyone more work to do, because sales reps and advertisers weren't as happy with the work.

I'm pretty sure the advertising management is completely changed since I was there. However, I doubt little of the culture of "just get it done, with as few resources as possible" has changed. It could be a fantastic training ground for young designers, but it isn't without some investment, mostly in time & training.

Awful

Former Employee - Account Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Capital Gazette Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the co-workers are great

Cons

Biased against older employees and applicants.