Capital Group
www.thecapitalgroup.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Capital Group Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Philip de Toledo

Pros:
  • "functional, humanity, well organized, good benefit, work life balance"
    in 28 reviews
  • "They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office"
    in 28 reviews
  • "At times, decision-making can seem slow, particularly for newer associates"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very disappointed.

Client Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Capital Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsBeautiful and clean working environment.
Amazing cafe.. They serve breakfast and lunch. The prices aren't bad either.. I never really spent over $5-7.
Great pay.
Everyone in my training group was so nice and friendly.

ConsHours are uncertain. You started off with 32, but management said that hours aren't always set in stone due to the amount of work. If there's not much work that comes in, then they send you home.
Temp to hire is most likely impossible. My assignment was set for 18 months only.
Easy to get fired/let go.

Okay. My temp agency recruiter told me about this job, and told me to come in for an "interview." It turned out to be a group interview (me and the other ladies were unaware) and took about an hour. But it wasn't even an interview! She didn't ask us what we knew about investments and mutual funds...nothing. She just started telling us about the job. We were already hired. Anyway, she started up selling The Capital Group, saying how the building was so perfect and clean (which it was). And told us about the nature of our work. We were to be Client Service Representatives. The position consists of basically just pulling up someone's scanned investment check on the computer, and processing it correctly. It sounds simple, which my recruiter made it seem, but the process can be really confusing. She kept telling us to ask questions as many times as we needed, and that's what everyone in my training group of about 15-20 did. There were two trainers in our room and one was nicer than the other. One was nice, and really did a great job of explaining, but the other one made you feel dumb. Although the other one was nicer, they were basically telling you this stuff like you were supposed to know it beforehand. I'm only 22, how was I supposed to know this in-depth knowledge about investments before!? And training is only two weeks. They pack all this information in, and they expect you to catch on within the snap of a finger. I was there for two weeks, and one day on my second week, my recruiter called me and told me that I had been let go. She said that they said I wasn't catching on as quickly as they'd hoped. For one thing, they need to understand that people learn at slower paces. I know that I can do that work, but they just don't give you enough time. Two weeks is definitely NOT enough to be able to prove yourself. They also don't let you take home any notes! So not only is the work tough, but you can't even take anything home to study. When I went home, that information went out the window. There's no way I could remember everything so quickly. That's just like your teacher telling you you have an upcoming math test, but can't take home any notes to study for it -__-. But I found out that a few other people got cut too, so I wasn't the only one. That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever went thru. It's a whole bunch of fake people working there. They could have pulled us aside in class and asked if we wanted any additional help. What's wrong with them..They could have atleast let us know that we weren't doing well. I thought I was doing great. Sure it was tough, but I asked questions just like everyone else. If that's the case, my whole training group should have gotten fired. There were other people in the room who asked way more questions than I did. I think they were picking favorites. It was obvious who the managers liked in the training group. Whatever.

Great corporate values, but little room for growth in certain sites

Senior Client Services Specialist (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAwesome people! Great benefits.

ConsLittle to no advancement opportunities in certain locations. The organization is very flat, so depending on the department you are in and the state of the market, there may be few opportunities to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build your leadership pipeline and keep high performers engaged.

Good benefits, terrible management.

Presentation Specialist (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood retirement plan. Salaries aren't particularly competitive within the industry, but fine. Offices are attractive and comfortable. If you get a decent manager (although they don't last long), you can get some good, productive work done, with a minimum of drama.

ConsToo many managers, with no real work to do. They get hooked on the latest fads they read about, and shove them down everyone's throat; none of which makes the work better, but merely fills time. The managers need to be given real work, not instructed to find busy work that interferes with the real work. During the recession of 2008-2009, the organization, which up to then boasted of loyalty to staff, laid off enormous swaths of people, some of whom had devoted the bulk of their working years to CG.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire or demote most managers. Give them positions where they have to produce actual work that's relevant to clients.

Good place to work at end of your career or if you are not looking to move up

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery good benefits -- bonuses and retirement plan

ConsCan take forever to get promoted. You could be there 20 years and still not make it to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting non-management to management internally instead of hiring managers from outside.

Great Place to work

Sales (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFriendly culture at the office. They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think. Bonus vacation every five years there. . Most people are willing to help and are respectful. Good vacation time and maternity leave. Depending on the department,no micro management. Managers care about your success as well. This is one of the most respected mutual fund companies around so it'smore likely that the advisers Will take your phone call but still challenging. Competitive pay. Great retirement plan. They really want to see that their employees retire well. Some of the smartest people and hardest workers I've ever met

ConsCommunication about changes are getting better but still lacking from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working with communication. Listen to the feedback your employees giveand implement the useful information.

Capital Group archaic IT systems and consensus bound decision makers.

I have been working at Capital Group

ProsNice new offices, grounds and great cafeteria

ConsStrange Zen consensus conformity culture

Capital Group is an excellent place to work

IT Project Management (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

Prosthe people are wonderful
the technologies are current
the environment is pleasant and the facilities are outstanding

ConsIT contractors are rarely converted to employees
IT contracts are tentative... contractors are disposable assets

Conservative, polite, generous

Research Associate (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

ProsA privately owned and conservatively managed company that strives to do things the right way for customers. A polite culture. A sense of fairness. Benefits are good and people are treated well for the most part.

ConsCan feel bureaucratic and slow moving at times. Too many meetings. Sometimes people are too polite.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more willing to try new things.

Not the same company it was 5 yes ago

Senior Customer Service (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are great and affordable

ConsNo consistency in management. Progress depends on who your TM is

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide positive reinforcement

Long ...

Client Services Representative - Senior (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, Training, Respect, Retirement and

ConsWork/Life Balance, Too Much Overtime, No Vacation Time allotted

Worked for Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capital Group CEO Philip de Toledo. All 321 reviews posted anonymously by Capital Group employees.