Capital Group

www.thecapitalgroup.com

Capital Group Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Philip de Toledo

Pros
  • great family friendly environment, great work life balance, beautiful campus(in 34 reviews)

• They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think(in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office(in 28 reviews)

• It's a shame because people work hard with no work/life balance(in 7 reviews)

It's who you know

Senior Level Person (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe health benefits and MRP are good.

ConsManagement has NO idea what they are doing. They are not hands-on and in meetings ALL day and do not respond in a timely matter, if they respond at all. When an issue, regarding conflict in group, is brought to their attention, it is brushed under the carpet, not addressed, ignored. The main 'culprits' get away with things and can come and go as they please because they are the favorites.
    There were more lay-offs in 2014 and ALOT of GREAT senior level people were laid off. Management SUCKED at these decisions because the senior level associates laid off were the ones who worked the hardest, were dedicated, intelligent, went above and beyond. They didn't partake in the gossip nor were they the ones who came in late, left early and disappeared for hours at a time during the day. So--again, management did nothing about this.
    Too many cliques, gossip, favoritism, moodiness, inconsistent behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you would like to be treated. YOO LAID OFF SOME AWESOMELY GREAT PEOPLE and now everyone left has to clean up the mess and all are numb by what you've done. People are now initials, soon they will be numbers. There is no morale, culture is GONE so you newer managers STOP talking about great culture--you have NO CLUE as you've not been there long enough but you say you know the culture. HA!
    Stressed, no motivation, bad environment for fostering positive attitudes---in this department. Some others are better and management there really does listen. Maybe our managers need to learn from them and het off their high horses and be human!

Not a bad place to work

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsCompensation package is very good.

ConsCulture is changing. Trying to outsource as much work as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in people. There's value in hiring talented people and keeping them rather than outsourcing the work.

Cultural change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood benefits, nice coworkers, office furnishings

ConsMismanaged, competitive environment, highly political

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest and cease defining Capital Group as one that values hardworking associates and tenure, and as one that doesn't advertise and promote itself. Layoffs not only occurred in 2009 due to market conditions but also recently in February 2014 (approx. 20 positions eliminated and many others reassigned) in L.A., due to new CMS and workflow methodologies, even before their full implementation ... with no promise that layoffs won't happen again (per upper management). Despite handling increasing work volume, intense marketing/advertising efforts to reposition the company, and "rebranding" all print and online content, many associates who carried the day and helped turn the company around post-2009 were simply let go. Admit that the younger "new blood" in management has transformed the respectful culture of the past into a frenzied, competitive, ordinary slave-driving work environment, to do more with less people. You also send a signal that associates are disposable by immediately replacing some eliminated positions with contractors. I advise that you maintain the same good benefits offering, as this is the main reason associates tough it out in the new culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Golden Handcuffs are not worth the underhanded politically correct environment with no technical growth potential

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsSalary and Bonus are good if you are in managements good graces. 15% company contribution to 401K is unbeatable

ConsStifling Technical environment where soft skills and brown nosing is more important to management than technical performance. Be prepared to always be smiling, and telling them what they want to hear. Honesty is not valued unless it can be given with inappropriate stroking and coddling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Real. Appreciate associates strengths and use them. Stop trying to put people into a mold. Provide challenging work instead of off-shoring and buying it off the shelf otherwise all you are going to be left with is 'yes-men' (can't say that at CapGroup ! not PC!) with baggies of oatmeal.

Private financial company set in their ways, and occasional strange behavior

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswell financed company, overstaff so you usually have nothing really to do, except tend to their moment to moment whims.

Consvery consersvative people, stuffy types, bored staff looking for excitement by judging how you will fit into their corporation culture, and judging whether or not you're a fit for them by how much you can can blend in and be as bland as possible.

Advice to Senior Managementcut the staff so they keep more busy instead of gossiping and looking for excitement by judging and bothering the newbies.

great

Prosflexibility, positions, online access, people

Consn/a, hours available, n/a, n/a, n/aa

A rewarding and fun experience

Producer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsExcellent working offices and working conditions

ConsCulture can be resistant to change

Advice to Senior ManagementThink outside the box

This is a great company, with great perks, benefits and people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros*Pay well for good work
    *Fantastic people
    *Good benefits and perks

Cons*Culture has changed somewhat in the past couple years
    *Advancement not always possible

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your people and they will support you.

Good organization, take care of its people

Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosfunctional, humanity, well organized, good benefit, work life balance

Consnot very innovative, move slowly

Advice to Senior Managementtake more risk with young people

Very disappointed.

Client Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful and clean working environment.
    Amazing cafe.. They serve breakfast and lunch. The prices aren't bad either.. I never really spent over $5-7.
    Great pay.
    Everyone in my training group was so nice and friendly.

ConsHours are uncertain. You started off with 32, but management said that hours aren't always set in stone due to the amount of work. If there's not much work that comes in, then they send you home.
    Temp to hire is most likely impossible. My assignment was set for 18 months only.
    Easy to get fired/let go.

Okay. My temp agency recruiter told me about this job, and told me to come in for an "interview." It turned out to be a group interview (me and the other ladies were unaware) and took about an hour. But it wasn't even an interview! She didn't ask us what we knew about investments and mutual funds...nothing. She just started telling us about the job. We were already hired. Anyway, she started up selling The Capital Group, saying how the building was so perfect and clean (which it was). And told us about the nature of our work. We were to be Client Service Representatives. The position consists of basically just pulling up someone's scanned investment check on the computer, and processing it correctly. It sounds simple, which my recruiter made it seem, but the process can be really confusing. She kept telling us to ask questions as many times as we needed, and that's what everyone in my training group of about 15-20 did. There were two trainers in our room and one was nicer than the other. One was nice, and really did a great job of explaining, but the other one made you feel dumb. Although the other one was nicer, they were basically telling you this stuff like you were supposed to know it beforehand. I'm only 22, how was I supposed to know this in-depth knowledge about investments before!? And training is only two weeks. They pack all this information in, and they expect you to catch on within the snap of a finger. I was there for two weeks, and one day on my second week, my recruiter called me and told me that I had been let go. She said that they said I wasn't catching on as quickly as they'd hoped. For one thing, they need to understand that people learn at slower paces. I know that I can do that work, but they just don't give you enough time. Two weeks is definitely NOT enough to be able to prove yourself. They also don't let you take home any notes! So not only is the work tough, but you can't even take anything home to study. When I went home, that information went out the window. There's no way I could remember everything so quickly. That's just like your teacher telling you you have an upcoming math test, but can't take home any notes to study for it -__-. But I found out that a few other people got cut too, so I wasn't the only one. That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever went thru. It's a whole bunch of fake people working there. They could have pulled us aside in class and asked if we wanted any additional help. What's wrong with them..They could have atleast let us know that we weren't doing well. I thought I was doing great. Sure it was tough, but I asked questions just like everyone else. If that's the case, my whole training group should have gotten fired. There were other people in the room who asked way more questions than I did. I think they were picking favorites. It was obvious who the managers liked in the training group. Whatever.

Worked for Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!