Capital Group
www.thecapitalgroup.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Capital Group Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Philip de Toledo

Pros:
  • "functional, humanity, well organized, good benefit, work life balance"
    in 28 reviews
  • "They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office"
    in 28 reviews
  • "At times, decision-making can seem slow, particularly for newer associates"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to make a career!

Fixed Income Control Analyst (Current Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities for career advancement and changes
Great training
Management willing to listen and actually hear issues and take steps to remedy

I've worked for capital for 19 years, and I've had the opportunity to hold numerous positions and fill many different roles within the organization. There aren't many companies out there that will give you the chance to find roles that meet all of your strengths. Capital is the first "real" job I ever held, and I've heard the horror stories from others with other large corporations. With an open mind and a drive to do great work, you can go far with Capital.

ConsHours can sometimes be long due to nature of work and staffing issues

After 20 yrs, I would not have left had I not moved!!!

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCapital's culture is one of collaboration, teamwork and respect. The Executive Team is made up of super smart, thoughtful individuals. Your ideas are welcomed. Work-life balance is encouraged. The benefits are very generous.

ConsThe Investment Group is sometimes perceived as being treated like "prima donnas" opposed to the Admin side of the business. To this I say, remember who brings in the business and why you are still employed.

Separately, a few roles are hard to break out of and HR can sometimes be an obstacle.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow and the “oldies but goodies” retire, I hope Capital remembers the culture which originated from Jonathan Bell Lovelace’s vision. A few of the newbies with “elitist attitudes” have had an impact on the culture and it’s not in line with what makes Capital a very special place to work

Great!

I have been working at Capital Group for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent compensation package and work/life balance.

ConsLimited upward mobility. Lack of formal associate development programs.

Wonderfl experience

Client Service Representative (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for less than a year

ProsLovely environment to work in. Coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable. Salary is ok for this area. Good parking. Gourmet café for employees. Green company

ConsMore permanent positions should be available. 18 month contract resulting in me looking for permanent work once the contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more for more permanent positions

Biggest joke on earth

Accountant (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRetirement benefits were great, medical were better than average back then. Paid for my MBA. Bonuses are great.

ConsAnyone with an opinion other than management's is branded as a trouble maker. All you are expected to do is come in and agree with management. Don't form your own opinion or step on anyone's toes and you will go far. CG boasts about their work/life balance but god forbid you need to take time off, and they will find a way to make sure you are not meeting expectations and withhold your bonus. I was with the company for more than 10 years and realized that as long as I was unwilling to kiss management's butt, I would never move. So I opted to go somewhere where my opinions and suggestions were valued. Management asks for ideas and then takes the credit for themselves, which in turn lowers morale. The way the layoffs were handled in 2098-2009 were poor at best, and that is the point where I lost all respect for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need for two levels of management on a team. Get rid of the Team Managers and let the Sr Managers run the department. Too many chiefs and not enough indians

Liberal environment

Applications Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsLiberal client for a contractor

ConsYou will not be able to develop yourself or promote if you are working as a subcontractor

Advice to Senior ManagementStrict supervision on MSA (project related contractor) teams

3 stars

I have been working at Capital Group

ProsGood work life balance. Benefits (health insurance, MRP, vacation) are great.

ConsSlow moving company. Top heavy with middle managers. Little career mobility. Most employees seemed to be stuck in their roles. Low pay compared to industry standards.

Private financial company set in their ways, and occasional strange behavior

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capital Group as a contractor for less than a year

Proswell financed company, overstaff so you usually have nothing really to do, except tend to their moment to moment whims.

Consvery consersvative people, stuffy types, bored staff looking for excitement by judging how you will fit into their corporation culture, and judging whether or not you're a fit for them by how much you can can blend in and be as bland as possible.

Advice to Senior Managementcut the staff so they keep more busy instead of gossiping and looking for excitement by judging and bothering the newbies.

Cultural change

Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group

ProsGood benefits, nice coworkers, office furnishings

ConsMismanaged, competitive environment, highly political

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest and cease defining Capital Group as one that values hardworking associates and tenure, and as one that doesn't advertise and promote itself. Layoffs not only occurred in 2009 due to market conditions but also recently in February 2014 (approx. 20 positions eliminated and many others reassigned) in L.A., due to new CMS and workflow methodologies, even before their full implementation ... with no promise that layoffs won't happen again (per upper management). Despite handling increasing work volume, intense marketing/advertising efforts to reposition the company, and "rebranding" all print and online content, many associates who carried the day and helped turn the company around post-2009 were simply let go. Admit that the younger "new blood" in management has transformed the respectful culture of the past into a frenzied, competitive, ordinary slave-driving work environment, to do more with less people. You also send a signal that associates are disposable by immediately replacing some eliminated positions with contractors. I advise that you maintain the same good benefits offering, as this is the main reason associates tough it out in the new culture.

Great Employer, Unusual Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe package offered are competitive. High bonuses. Odd mix of generous employee perks.

ConsInnovation is actively discouraged. The company runs on status quo and imitation of competitors. I would describe the company culture as insecure. For many at CG, this is actually a pro, not a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company culture appeals to some but not many. Times have changed.

Worked for Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capital Group CEO Philip de Toledo. All 321 reviews posted anonymously by Capital Group employees.