Capital Group

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.4

Philip de Toledo

Pros
  • There's a great work-life balance because it's rare for people to take work home (in 44 reviews)

• They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office (in 30 reviews)

• Pays less than other alternatives (PE/Hedge Fund) but the work-life balance is fantastic (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good to retire, culture can't be beat.... Long hours are optional , low to mid pay grade

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture here is unbeatable by far. They baby you through training and overtime is all you can eat. Amazing irvine campus, cafeteria is cheap and good, co workers are supportive

Cons

Mid-pay decent to say the least, it's a good career but slow to promote , benefits are good but doesn't make up for the 37k-40k you make annually

Stay the same ! You guys rock

This is a great company to work for, great benefits and great people.

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very methodical about hiring. Great culture and benefits.

Cons

Business and brand are strong, but the service model is shrinking; pay is mostly competitive; opportunities for development are somewhat limited.

So far so good.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group

Pros

Great training, good schedules, adheres to holidays that correspond with the NYSE

Cons

Nothing so far. Still new.

Perfect out of college experience.

I worked at Capital Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I encountered where extremely enjoyable and friendly. The company offers great incentives.

Cons

Mobility can be limited.

You need to better understand the duties of those you manage before speaking about their performance.

It's alright in here

I have been working at Capital Group

Pros

Open communication . Really good company to work for. However if you have aspirations to climb a ladder, look elsewhere.

Cons

There is no ladder to climb. Just be content with your job title. You will get opportunities to improve your skills, but no recognition for a job well done or don't expect a promotion until you sit on your title for several years.

Titles does matter. Stop fooling your associates and stop fooling yourself.

A good start, some good benefits but not worth it

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, pretty generous on the vacation time in comparison to other places. Campus is quite nice. They have other small little perks like movie tickets for sale at the cafe, being able to ship out packages, and subsidized monthly train passes. Most of the people they hire are friendly and it's not too hard to develop some good friendships here.

Cons

Coming in I thought this would be a place where I could develop a long term career. The people were friendly, there seemed to be a large support system, and the campus was beautiful. During the tours they gave us, staff would always point out the best things (great cafe food, big open campus, free coffee, open door policy for managers, etc). After some time though the facade starts to fade away and you start seeing what is really going on. I have gotten a sense from some of the older workers that the company used to be better but the financial crash of 2008 really changed things. Mandatory overtime can run up to 2 hours a day which can really drain you throughout the course of a week. Time off during the year end holidays is very hard to get. Upward mobility is very slow, very few openings for managerial positions. More lateral than upward movement. Management tries to make things seem nicer than they are, my favorite being calling overtime "additional time." Company is very very slow to adapt to change both with external and internal policies. Training can feel long and overdrawn. I really wish I could recommend this company because at first it sounds amazing. At the end of the day though, I am not happy and I can very much tell there are several other associates who are not happy.

Really offer long-term career development for associates. At this point I thought I would be more aware of the different paths in the company but I still feel lost. You are doing a great job at hiring well qualified associates but at this rate, I fear that you will be losing them at an increasing rate.

If you have any ambition in life look elsewhere.

I have been working at Capital Group

Pros

The pay is ok and the coffee machines are nice.

Cons

If you are a 40 something who went to a cal-state school with no ambition in life and has never lived outside of Orange County, this place is a sweet deal. If however you have a brain and are ambitious this place will be mind numbing and soul draining. Lots of people have been here for 15-20 years...in the same position and on the same team. That should tell you something. If you went to a ranked school and are used to collaborative environments do not look here, you will be judged by your age and there is no people management or mentorship, your career will go nowhere and you will learn nothing new. I would never recommend this place to anyone I know.

You have a horrible culture that is no longer sustainable. With young people entering into the workplace, we are not looking to sit around and count the minutes until 5PM. We need to be utilized and allowed to grow. Unless you want to continue hiring community college graduates.

And the bloat goes on

Current Employee - Associate IT
    Current Employee - Associate IT

I have been working at Capital Group (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice campus and facilities
    Nice colleagues overall
    Good pay and fantastic benefits- top notch

Cons

Misdirected leadership- they keep hiring armies of consultants. While we say we are watching out for Shareholders, with the kind of resource bloat seen in some departments you really have to wonder.
    Long time employees are being pushed out by Big 5 consultants who are joining the ranks as employees. Leadership will tell you that it is because the old guard lack skills. While that is true in some cases, it is not true across the board. Morale is sinking by the day and if it were not for the compensation, many more would leave.

Don't just trust the word of your senior / middle management. Get down on the ground and figure out who is worth retaining and who is dead wood. Don't just assume based on what your senior managers say. Some of them are completely out of touch with reality

Have no ambition to grow. Salary rise is very marginal. Too many managers

I have been working at Capital Group (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work place with cafe

Cons

Almost no growth. Minimum promotions. Very manager oriented company - if your manager does not like you then find another job. Most managers have dated technical knowledge but will pretend they understand a lot

No need to tell us how to tie our shoe laces.

Some good and bad but overall, buyer beware.

I worked at Capital Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Retirement and health ins is top notch. Comp was reasonable but they tell management when they are hired that they know they pay at a minimum 25% less than the industry, so just beware. Good amount of time-off. If you work in the sites your average work week will be 40-45 hours, so good work-life balance. Nice facilities. If you have a great manager who believes in fighting for their people (which is rare) follow them wherever they go.

Cons

Senior management hires more managemnt to insulate themselves.
    Layers upon layers.
    If you move up the ladder from within pay may be 25- 30 percent less than those that are hired from outside the company. You will see a lot of people able to squeak by and get promoted while not doing much. Micro management. If you are hard working you will always have a target on your back. You will see that people at the top hire their buddies to insulate themselves. Good ole boy system is alive and well. Can be very difficult to get ahead and be treated with respect if you are a female. Bonuses are not necessarily based on merit. They talk about their "open door policy," but don't do that. Be very careful about what you voice and how. Creativity is not fostered nor encouraged. Environment fosters apathy. Many people with ill intentions get promoted.

Promote on merit. Remove some of the layers. Foster people who voice concerns for the better of the company and whose intentions are to help and make things better. Take time to weed out those whose intentions are not pure. Try to take the culture back to its original roots and principles.

Capital Group Photos