www.thecapitalgroup.com

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.4

Philip de Toledo

Pros
  • There's a great work-life balance because it's rare for people to take work home (in 41 reviews)

• They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office (in 30 reviews)

• Pays less than other alternatives (PE/Hedge Fund) but the work-life balance is fantastic (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company culture and benefits!

Former Employee - Office Services in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Office Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Capital Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Even though Capital Group is an extremely large company, it still manages to feel intimate. It seems as though management actually cares about their employees. Fabulous benefits (often catered lunches) and great overall office vibe.

Cons

Early hours--west coast conforms to east coast stock time (to be expected). Other than that, no cons!

Sr.Operator

Current Employee - Senior Operations Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very collaborative Environment, Minimum 3 week time off, Good work-life balance.

Cons

Growth Potenial is very less to become manager or Sr.Manager.

Good salary, Good Medical and Life Insurance Benefit, Good Retirement Benefit.

Great people, Good Benefits

I worked at Capital Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People were very approachable and willing to help
    There was good work life balance, people left the office by 5pm mostly.
    good benefits

Cons

office culture is insular, and does not compare to industry standards
    slow decision making
    too many people needed to make one decision

be more outward looking

Good company overall with some flaws

Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally, the people make this a nice place to work. For a financial firm, there are pretty modest egos amongst the analysts. Good retirement, bonuses. Work-life balance is highly encouraged. Lots of opportunities for training and development. Nice offices, well maintained by efficient staff.

Cons

Promotions are far and few between, especially in certain departments. You will get raises but your title will not change. Doesn't look good on your resume if you're looking to show a well-defined career path. Senior management tends to be hired from the outside. This has weakened the corporate culture considerably.

Mutual fund company with former great reputation experiencing mass exodus in shareholder services

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist

I have been working at Capital Group (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay is competitive, bonuses

Cons

Management is becoming administrative and delegating the task of understanding the business to seniores associates

Work on reestablishing the culture that the company once had. Morale is diminishing and turnover rate is increasing

So much potential...used to be a great place to work now it's semi-good...

Current Employee - Client Services Specialist, Senior in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services Specialist, Senior in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

OK place to work, nice environment, most employees are professional. The compensation and benefits are also good.

Cons

Very difficult to advance to a management position. Some middle managers over work their high performing associates to the point of having them do their job and not being recognized for it or properly compensated. It is extremely competitive. After working there for almost 9 years as an excellent associate, I should have been promoted to a hirer position. It's very disappointing and frustrating, I am now currently looking to work with a different employer, I feel burned out....

Current Employee - Senior Trust Account Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Trust Account Representative in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great retirement benefits. Lots of time off.

Cons

Limited upward mobility opportunity. Pay is not competitive.

Upper management will only take advice from the next management level.

Conservative company, limited opportunities to move upward.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at Capital Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People really stick to the core values of the firm. Every discussion revolves around ensuring that shareholders are served well. The integrity of CG associates is excellent, and there is always an effort to ensure that project leaders engage across functions to make the best decisions possible. The company has been around for 80 years, and has earned its reputation as an upstanding long-term investment firm.

Cons

Conservatism and team-focused efforts have a dark side: they keep folks from getting things done. I found management often unable to make a decision out of fear that they had somehow not gotten buy-in from every potential party. The 80/20 rule doesn't exist there--you have to run decisions and potential actions by every single person who might be affected. Risk tolerance is zero, which hampers the ability to move quickly.

Empower associates to make decisions and have responsibility/accountability. Lots of smart folks lack opportunities at CG because management is too tied up in details to pay attention and help them develop.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The associates here are extremely intelligent, capable, and professional. In every sense of the word. The recruitment process is long and dire to make sure the people who come through the door full-time deserve to be here.

Cons

Bigger, more bureaucratic company than the usual fund. Pays less than other alternatives (PE/Hedge Fund) but the work-life balance is fantastic.

Best management team I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Very flat, horizontal structure in the investment team when it comes to investment discussion.

Good, but no longer GREAT

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to interact and collaborate with some very intelligent and professional people--some would even say there's too much collaboration. I've made some great, what I know will be life long friends working there. Pay is more than fair, especially once bonuses are factored in and the benefits are in the upper quartile of all companies. There are plentiful opportunities to get involved with non-profits as well as volunteer opportunities in the community. Work-life balance is a consideration, at least in my department.

Cons

When I first started working here, there were very few layers of management so you always felt like you had a voice and could make a difference by influencing a decision maker. Nowadays, senior managers manage senior managers and there are way more layers of bureaucracy than ever before. Upper management positions constantly seem to be filled with outsiders and corporate values seem to have eroded over time. A defined career path is one of the most desired items by employees but HR has done a poor job communicating their plan to offer one.

Geez, which layer of management do I give this advice to? That's sort of the problem. Also, while I understand the need to go outside the company for certain skillsets, the near unanimity of that policy has created some unwanted downstream consequences--namely, those making decisions have no clue how their decisions affect the day-to-day workings of the company and the people who have to execute on these ill-conceived changes.

Capital Group Photos