Capital Group
www.thecapitalgroup.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Capital Group Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Philip de Toledo

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is encouraged"
    in 31 reviews
  • "They have great benefits like time off is about 21 days I think"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Still unable to figure out exactly what senior management did all day at the office"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Most associates seem depressed and find it hard to come in to work but we keep coming back for another day in hell to collect our bonus"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great, Talented People - Difficult to Advance

Retirement Plan Service Representative (Former Employee)
Carmel, IN

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCapital Group is staffed with wonderful, professional, and talented people. I feel honored to count myself amonst them. The benefits are amazing and they offer plenty of training and job resources. The immediate and senior management I encountered stood by their "open door" policy and were always approachable. CG is a world class employer with a strong and distinct corporate culture. Business decisions are made in comprehensive, thoughtful, and thoroughly vetted ways.

ConsAdvancement opportunities are difficult to come by. Opportunities are there; however moving up in the organization takes time, patience, and strict adherence to the "CG way," i.e. living the Capital Group culture. The organization also will never be blazing trails but rather leadership has a tendency to get mired down in traditional, conventional ways/ideas. This conservative nature is not necessarily a con but I mention it because prospective associates should be aware that the CG wheels turn quite predictably and slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider innovation as an organization and encourage creative/independent thought (not necessarily action) from associates.

After 20 yrs, I would not have left had I not moved!!!

Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCapital's culture is one of collaboration, teamwork and respect. The Executive Team is made up of super smart, thoughtful individuals. Your ideas are welcomed. Work-life balance is encouraged. The benefits are very generous.

ConsThe Investment Group is sometimes perceived as being treated like "prima donnas" opposed to the Admin side of the business. To this I say, remember who brings in the business and why you are still employed.

Separately, a few roles are hard to break out of and HR can sometimes be an obstacle.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow and the “oldies but goodies” retire, I hope Capital remembers the culture which originated from Jonathan Bell Lovelace’s vision. A few of the newbies with “elitist attitudes” have had an impact on the culture and it’s not in line with what makes Capital a very special place to work

Great place to make a career!

Fixed Income Control Analyst (Current Employee)
West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities for career advancement and changes
Great training
Management willing to listen and actually hear issues and take steps to remedy

I've worked for capital for 19 years, and I've had the opportunity to hold numerous positions and fill many different roles within the organization. There aren't many companies out there that will give you the chance to find roles that meet all of your strengths. Capital is the first "real" job I ever held, and I've heard the horror stories from others with other large corporations. With an open mind and a drive to do great work, you can go far with Capital.

ConsHours can sometimes be long due to nature of work and staffing issues

Great!

I have been working at Capital Group for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent compensation package and work/life balance.

ConsLimited upward mobility. Lack of formal associate development programs.

Wonderfl experience

Client Service Representative (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for less than a year

ProsLovely environment to work in. Coworkers are friendly and knowledgeable. Salary is ok for this area. Good parking. Gourmet café for employees. Green company

ConsMore permanent positions should be available. 18 month contract resulting in me looking for permanent work once the contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more for more permanent positions

Biggest joke on earth

Accountant (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRetirement benefits were great, medical were better than average back then. Paid for my MBA. Bonuses are great.

ConsAnyone with an opinion other than management's is branded as a trouble maker. All you are expected to do is come in and agree with management. Don't form your own opinion or step on anyone's toes and you will go far. CG boasts about their work/life balance but god forbid you need to take time off, and they will find a way to make sure you are not meeting expectations and withhold your bonus. I was with the company for more than 10 years and realized that as long as I was unwilling to kiss management's butt, I would never move. So I opted to go somewhere where my opinions and suggestions were valued. Management asks for ideas and then takes the credit for themselves, which in turn lowers morale. The way the layoffs were handled in 2098-2009 were poor at best, and that is the point where I lost all respect for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need for two levels of management on a team. Get rid of the Team Managers and let the Sr Managers run the department. Too many chiefs and not enough indians

Liberal environment

Applications Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsLiberal client for a contractor

ConsYou will not be able to develop yourself or promote if you are working as a subcontractor

Advice to Senior ManagementStrict supervision on MSA (project related contractor) teams

3 stars

I have been working at Capital Group

ProsGood work life balance. Benefits (health insurance, MRP, vacation) are great.

ConsSlow moving company. Top heavy with middle managers. Little career mobility. Most employees seemed to be stuck in their roles. Low pay compared to industry standards.

Great Employer, Unusual Company Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capital Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe package offered are competitive. High bonuses. Odd mix of generous employee perks.

ConsInnovation is actively discouraged. The company runs on status quo and imitation of competitors. I would describe the company culture as insecure. For many at CG, this is actually a pro, not a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company culture appeals to some but not many. Times have changed.

Not a bad place to work

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Capital Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompensation package is very good.

ConsCulture is changing. Trying to outsource as much work as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in people. There's value in hiring talented people and keeping them rather than outsourcing the work.

Worked for Capital Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capital Group CEO Philip de Toledo. All 323 reviews posted anonymously by Capital Group employees.