Capital Insurance Group

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter M Cazzolla

Great place to make a difference!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsEmployee Stock Ownership Plan is the most phenomenal benefit I have ever seen. You just have to have a longer vision of compensation. You give up some on the front end, but if you can be satisfied with a nominal lifestyle and driving a Civic instead of a Mercedes or BMW, you will have an amazing retirement and won't have to work until you are 80.
    Good support of personal development. A lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company's future.

ConsAs stated above, the overall compensation is loaded on the back end, so if you are all about cash flow, flashy cars and living high, probably not a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on strategies to engage employees.

The definition of a "Rat Race".

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsThe employees are quite friendly and seem to stick together, perhaps that is because they need to in order to survive. The ESOP is nice, but it is risky if the business can not keep it together. The facilities are a toss-up, on one side having a gym is lovely, on the other side it reminds me that most of us practically live at the office. Luckily I work in one of the departments that seems to be more balanced than the rest.

ConsThe workload is insanely high and the organization is poor. It seems that innovation is not welcome and bright ideas are only welcome from the top. Instead of creating a new platform to build from I feel that we are constantly patching holes to keep things afloat. The pay is sub-par and from I've witnessed the atmosphere is a breeding ground for apathy and high-stress. As mentioned in the "pros", my department is not drowning quite as much, some of the other departments constantly seem swamped and it makes for poor communication. For instance, I rarely get the technical support I need. The IT support seems to fluctuate and while there are some friendly technicians, only one of them seems to have a high-level of knowledge. I may be bias on that point though as my two favorite technicians left last year and they were both exceptional. All in all the business seems to have a ton of potential but the biggest con is how management will not be flexible and allow the employees to contribute towards reaching that potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a new environment, promote growth and learning, ease up on the micromanagement, and hire more quality people. Frankly, I do not want a strict environment that feels like I'm an adolescent again, I want productivity and innovation. Increasing pay would be nice but I'd settle for no increase and changes that would reduce the turn-over rates and stress levels.

This company is not a place I would ever recommend

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsThe ESOP is said to be pretty good...however you have to make the years to become vested in the plan... so far I have not seen anyone stay long enough to get it.

ConsThe supervisors and the managers don't have a clue how to run a department let along a region. They lack the people skills to handle problems and lack the ability to be a boss. The supervisor is clueless and cant handle the pressures of day to day issues let along departmental goals. Her boss doesn't even know how to handle hard claims and nit picks everything until he finally figures out that he doesn't have a clue. They overwork the people on a day to day basis and don't seem to care that all the employees are so overworked that it creates a great amount of tension and that there is no TEAM in the department. They (the bosses) are always attacking the employees and telling them that it will get better, don't worry it will get better....
    Training is almost non-existent, if you do get it, then its very hurried and not done very well... The bosses are to worried about their vacations and their luncheons to worry about training. Oh and that's if they are even there. The supervisor takes off so much time and then has the gall to complain when other people take time off... really...
    The pay is not in line with other insurance companies and should be addressed. Its something that most people would not care about if they were being treated fairly and with respect and had a good work environment. However when you are not being treated well and when you are being micromanaged to the point of pulling your hair out, pay becomes an issue.
    Overworked overworked overworked....

It made me choose a city down below but that's not the real city...

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation could be addressed, the workload really needs to be addressed. The leadership needs to be looked into at the local and regional level... just because the numbers jive doesn't mean the employees are happy and working hard to keep the company going. It would be nice if the management would really listen to the concern of their employees and not just brush them off and go on their merry way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CIG Contractors scams

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsGreat people to work with. In house QA and developing and programming.

ConsOver 60% of employees are contractual and short term. I resolved dozens of major issues with their Auto Quote system and insurance program as well their online portal system. Instead of hiring me after my three month contract with no bad reviews and the most resolved issues/tickets they extended my contract for another month and then terminated me leaving me with nothing. The worst part however was every single check I received was inaccurate and late as much as 8 days late. I always turned in / approval and verified my hours and I would get paid random hours and pay which almost got me evicted and starving. Just a fair warning to any technicians who are hired for this company

Farm Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsESOP...only if you plan to stay long enough to get vested! Keep your performance evaluations!

ConsThe underwriting staff in the farm department is always changing and seems to not be organized or structured. That isn't referring to the couple of ladies that have been there for years. There has been at least 4 or 5 really good underwriters and several good underwriting assistants but they all left which leaves me scratching my head.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the structure and the turnover rate in the farm department. All of the underwriters and assistants cannot be the problem. Comments like you can have 20 years of experience but really 1 year of experience for 20 years is unacceptable as an excuse and not polite to say about others! Also, saying that underwriters have messed up the book of business for years is unacceptable! Where is the management! Why isn't there any structured training! I've heard all the stories and was told exactly how the cow chewed the cabbage! This included the closure of the Modesto office and the move to Northern California. Regardless, it has been the same story! The underwriter that left was the problem...he or she did this and that or didn't do this or that! Maybe it is time for a change in management!

Lack of leadership and structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe atmosphere amongst employees is like a family. Very friendly coworkers and overall courteous customers.

ConsWhen I started I was told that the company was on the rise and had turned in a positive direction. There was supposedly an open-door policy so that everyone could speak their minds. Once I started I found that this was all fluff. The workload was insanely high and that was saying something because my previous place of employment was exhausting but seemed easy compared to what I was diving into. The customer support aspect was lacking, the technical practices were years behind, and there was practically no leadership. Leadership was not open to new ideas and seemed to not have a good grasp on what was going on within the department. Simple solutions to many of our issues went unheard. I stuck around thinking I could make some changes but progress was slow and instead we were constantly trying to clean-up avoidable messes rather than improve. At the time of my departure I was dealing with health issues and a family crisis. My manager did not seem interested in working with me or understanding my situation. I almost felt intimidated, as if there was no support for me in my time of need. Needless to say my family crisis prevented me from giving my full effort and the lack of understanding and flexibility lead me to resign. In the end it was best for the company and myself. My family life became non-existent while I worked here as the job never really stopped at 5:00.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn current practices for the departments. Treat your employees like people not equipment. Lastly, understand that most of the employees are significantly underpaid and work long hours with chaotic workloads, they need time with their families, and flexibility.

I had a wonderful learning experience

Intern (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA

ProsQuality work life balance for all employees

ConsThere are no downsides for people who are flexible

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Developer

ProsLatest technology, good management, Stability, job security, shares

ConsNo work from home, low salary

Great company to learn and grow, then leave

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsGreat people, stable company, great employee stock ownership plan

ConsPay ranges are not competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people

Executive Management is good, but not in touch with the little people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsThe little people are smart and educated and there are some very intelligent business and IT people who have been with the company for a long time.

ConsThe management on a department level is removed from the day to day. They also preach a "work/life" balance but then don't follow it when someone says they are overworked ....
    And the salaries are the lowest in the area...and yet they they work their departments to the bone, and change directions/priorities while saying they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at who you have running your departments, and turn over. When the managers aren't able to give consistent feedback on how their department runs....and they have people who step down from leadership positions on a regular basis....this means something...And look at your benefits...the medical, dental, and eye is at WORST sub-par
    And continuing education is a stated benefit, but when people try to educate themselves they are never approved...or worse yet, told that the company "doesn't support education on degrees"...and certifications on items that would allow them to move UP are never approved...it has a negative affect within your company. it says you're afraid to educate your people because they might leave...wrong message. Should be, we want to help you progress and grow within our company...

Worked for Capital Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!