Capital Newspapers Reviews

2.6
William K Johnston

1. CN

I have been working at Capital Newspapers

Pros

Capital Newspapers is a great place to work because they believe in their product and their people. Flexible work schedule, decent benefits, and great people are the number one reasons to work here.

Cons

Sometimes the economy or the industry itself requires that management take bold steps to keep the company successful. Unfortunately that has included staff downsizing in the past.

Advice to Management

Keep improving and making the best product possible. Think outside the box to keep up with the ever-changing market.

2. Average

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Longevity can be very possible.

Cons

The newspaper industry is shrinking dramatically.

Advice to Management

Do not look for cookie-cutter employee skills. Think outside of the box to maximize each employee's individual skills.

3. It was awesome in its day

Former Employee - I Provided Editorial and Writing Services in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - I Provided Editorial and Writing Services in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I joined the staff, newspapers were still king, and I had every reason to expect I would retire from CN. It had great retirement benefits, and I received a generous raise when I was promoted. I was never micromanaged, and for me personally, it was the perfect job in the beginning, and the perfect workplace.

Cons

Who could have imagined the combined impact of the Internet and the 2008 Market Crash? One day there was money. The next day there wasn't. I realize they had to make some tough choices, but it seemed like they consistently made the wrong choices. It was almost as if they were starving the beast, WANTING the company to go down in flames. The worst part was that over many years, I took many initiatives to improve things (even when we were doing well) and management couldn't be bothered.

Advice to Management

For those of you who are left, please listen to the employees you have left. They just might have a good idea.

5. Senior Major Account Executive

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to do, load of flexibility

Cons

Very poor management structure. No support

6. This was a good company, and great people to work with.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in beautiful Madison, WI, I enjoyed working with a diverse customer list and the ability for every day to be different! It was challenging and fun to build my book of business to over double what it started as, and the teamwork and leadership opportunities were great! Since this is a network of more newspapers, it was great that there were other opportunities across the country too!

Cons

I no longer live in Madison, WI so it's not an option to work there.

Advice to Management

It'd be great to have the company's mission statement front and center for employees.

7. A sinking ship!

Former Employee - Ad Sales in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Ad Sales in Madison, WI

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of co-workers, unfortunately, many of the veterans are no longer there! Compensation was good and plenty of opportunities for spiffs and bonuses along the way.

Cons

Declining circulation and poor management; short sighted managers, don't care about employees and customer relationships, just focused on revenue.

8. They fiddle as the ship goes down

Current Employee - Journalist
    Current Employee - Journalist

I have been working at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started with the company 15 years ago, I was so excited and I assumed I would retire there. While they have their share of useless managers, dead wood and lack of communication, I don't think these problems are worse than at any other large organization. The pay is decent to good, and the benefits used to be excellent. The health bennies are still good.

Cons

Like all newspapers right now, we are going down in flames. But as I see it, they're making all the wrong decisions if they want to have a prayer of continuing. They remove the very things readers want to read, shooting themselves in the foot. They make their shrinking so obvious everyone can tell we are fading away. They are laying off good talent and then scrambling because no one knows what that person did. Morale is in the sewer and the stress of working for a company that declared bankruptcy several years ago and still doing the same stuff is taking its toll.

Advice to Management

Please LISTEN when your employees make a suggestion. We are readers, as are our friends and family. Realize that good talent, not just cheap talent, is good to have. Some newspapers are surviving the holocaust; see what they did to survive. I doubt they did it by getting rid of half the staff. And go easier on the current employees. We are anxious and afraid, a terrible environment to work in. If not for the recession, most of us would be gone too.

9. Great Job....Horrible Pay

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice having a flexible Schedule, getting free suite tickets to the Kohl Center was a nice bonus. Very nice co-workers.

Cons

No formal training program in place. It's a revolving door with sales reps. No growth opportunities and veteran employees get all the leads. Incentive prizes not given fairly.. all reps that make the incentive are put into a drawing instead of top reps getting the bonus.

Advice to Management

In order to attract and retain top talent increase salaries and commission structure.

10. Reporter

I worked at Capital Newspapers full-time

Pros

Interesting work and a friendly environment

Cons

Industry is not doing well

11. Very laid back

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Capital Newspapers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+Flex time, and overall scheduling +Good pay and benefits, no complaints there +Low Stress, and clear goals

Cons

-Newspaper industry isn't sure what its going to do long term. Makes your job description fluid, so understand that going in.

Advice to Management

A more clear idea of where the company is going would help a lot. Other then that I have no issue with management.

RSS Feed </> Embed