Capital One Auto Finance

Capital One Auto Finance Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

Capital One Auto Finance Chairman; Chairman and CEO, Capital One Financial Corporation Rich Fairbank
Rich Fairbank

Pros
  • Work environment is low stress with a great work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, 401k, average healthcare benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance except in papers (in 3 reviews)

• Senior management doesn't vaue the hard working peole at all (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Data Steward in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Data Steward in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Employee Culture and Work like balance. Good Benefits and lots of employee perks. Would return in a heartbeat if opportunity arose.

Cons

Promotion process was not clear (at least in my case). Free personal trainers at fitness center were always booked (yeah its a small thing).

Weed out the bad middle managers. Continue on your path to success and make the promotion process more transparent.

Capital One, changing careers for worse

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good, and the company has a lot of great values on paper. Unfortunately, very little follow through on that

Cons

I worked as a senior business analyst and have to say I was tremendously disappointment with the development opportunities, culture, and overall experience. If you are looking into the analytics department, ask about their turnover. If they are honest, it's above 30% because they are incapable of developing talent and provide a horrible work life balance

Learning to distinguish the difference between a great analyst and potential manager. For a department which boasts of having top analytical talent, you miss the obvious: the traits which make a great analyst rarely make a great people manager

Program Manager

Former Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They tend to pride themselves as having a high bar to get in but some of the Senior Management (Director +) are a joke and how they got to that level is a suprise to most people.

Nice Gym
    Like the idea of being able to have a high concentration within one campus
    Close to lots of restaurants

Cons

There is so much politics it is ridiculous in order to move up. Promotions are not based on results but rather being best buddy with manager and there is so much instability with management if you happen to get momentum you will have a new manager that will not have any history on you.

Compensation is far below the market in the same industry for similar job. A lot of focus on levels as a way to get things pushed.

Claim to be about front line people engagement, however only a few areas actually live this and rest is lip service.

Exodus of people close to happening like did before when people left to competition. Playing favorites is common here: a few select few (not actually any better) will get promoted every year to 2 years, the rest will never move up and those moving up will give foolish reasons why others shouldn't.

Put focus on talent within company, people will eventually catch on and you will experience another management crisis like a few years ago.

area sales manager

Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Dallas, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comprehensive Training which provides thorough knowledge of value proposition

Cons

Powerless to negotiate or change unique situations

Enjoyed my time as a contractor at Capital One

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great company values and mission of 'Do the Right Thing' for both employees and customers; diverse culture; good benefits for associates

Cons

Contractors are limited to 2 years in some areas, gives the impression that professional growth for contractors is not supported

none

Get hired in the position you WANT because upward mobility is not what they promise...

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator/Loan Origniations Flex Team in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator/Loan Origniations Flex Team in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits (health insurance, 401K, fitness center, on site cafeterias, fitness center, medical office...etc) are great with this company. There are a lot of surveys and opportunites to give your opinion on the culture and management.

Cons

There are very limited opportunities for mvoing between departments and roles. From my experience the company would rather offer an open position to an external hire with No experience or training in the role versus take an average performer in another role within the company whom they have already invested in training and orienting to the culture. There is very little mobility in this company outside of the top 5% in the prodution based roles.

Consider having a review/development process where associates can be fit to roles that they would be more beneifcial for the company rather than keep someone in a role they are not necessarily suited for but overall are a good valuable employee for the company. When employees feel like they are trapped in a role they will not be able to get out of because they are not a top 5% performer in the department it makes them feel unappreciated, unvalued and causes them to leave the company for other work. that's not what they want to do necessarily, but they're left no choice.

COAF is not up to Capital One standards

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being a capital one employee, you get the pay and great benefits.

Cons

Specifically COAF and LO, it's full of politics. Senior management doesn't vaue the hard working peole at all. Promotions 100% depends on who knows who. You have to be buddy with Sr. Mgt to get promoted. With recent org changes, middle level people management become a joke. People absolutely zero people skills are now managers . It is more of slave driving now. Work in nights and weekends become new norm.
    If you don't expect pomotions and like to work in nights and weekends too, then COAF LO is the right place for you. There is no work life balance except in papers.

Please don't put people without people management skills in manager roles. That will effect many people's lives day in day out and eventually will drive the talent away from company.

It all depends...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay, if negotiated appropriately, is great! I adored the people that I worked with, even my direct managers(although were switched multiple times through the years). Loved the accrued PTO. Loved the engagement days that were for all the employees. Depending on your manager, you were often given opportunities to prove yourself if you wanted to take on more responsibility. There are leadership programs that are offered if you want to consider management. Peer coaching and observing is often encouraged.

Cons

Just like any other corporate job, its all politics and "Who you know". Well qualified individuals would get looked over for opportunities that were given to a friend/favorite of the one in charge. You are overworked to the point where SEVERAL individuals(including upper management) would go on leave or just depart the company. There are so many hands in the pot of taking charge that it becomes so disorganized & miscommunication is frequent. One individual is expected to wear the hats of 10 associates all because no one wants to hire additional people.

All in all, the company has the right idea of trying to work out kinks of the employees. I would highly suggest making sure that your existing highly valuable employees, no matter where they are on the chain, should be heard instead of waiting for them to leave and replacing them with lackluster candidates.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Director in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great training; intelligent employees; strong corporate culture of excellence; very proud to work there; thorough review process which was taken seriously with good feedback and plan for development

Cons

political; perception is often more important than reality; too many reorganizations

Positive feedback as a former Capital One Auto Finance position

Former Employee - Funding Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Funding Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One Auto Finance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros were the extensive training and the ability to work independently with no supervision as well as with a team. I believe my outstanding drive, loyalty to the company, and an impeccable work ethic allowed me to shine as a terrific asset to the company. My co-workers and upper management thoroughly impressed me with their knowledge and willingness to make sure we all strived to the best of our abilities.

Cons

I would have to say the most dissatisfaction I felt with the Capital One team was the lack of promotions throughout the company. With such an enormous turn over rate, instead of letting hard working employees move up in the company, move them to another department where they can benefit the company the best way fit, instead were let go.

My advise to the company would be to screen managers a bit more in detail. I do not listen to gossip but from training on, was told my manager was the newest and was never around. Being in management before, I knew some people not might quite understand all the duties the manager has and felt with all the negativity surrounding the situation, my best interest was to focus on work and not make opinions on what others have said. It's nor professional nor beneficial to production and team morale.

Capital One Auto Finance Photos