Capital One Auto Finance

www.capitalone.com

Capital One Auto Finance Reviews in Plano, TX

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Capital One Auto Finance – Plano – “New COAF buiding”

Capital One Auto Finance Chairman; Chairman and CEO, Capital One Financial Corporation Rich Fairbank

Rich Fairbank

Pros
  • Work/life balance for the right groups is great(in 6 reviews)

• A lot of the rank and file are genuinely good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to listen to people and don't take others idea and make it their own by tweaking it a little bit(in 3 reviews)

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive feedback as a former Capital One Auto Finance position

Funding Analyst (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe pros were the extensive training and the ability to work independently with no supervision as well as with a team. I believe my outstanding drive, loyalty to the company, and an impeccable work ethic allowed me to shine as a terrific asset to the company. My co-workers and upper management thoroughly impressed me with their knowledge and willingness to make sure we all strived to the best of our abilities.

ConsI would have to say the most dissatisfaction I felt with the Capital One team was the lack of promotions throughout the company. With such an enormous turn over rate, instead of letting hard working employees move up in the company, move them to another department where they can benefit the company the best way fit, instead were let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advise to the company would be to screen managers a bit more in detail. I do not listen to gossip but from training on, was told my manager was the newest and was never around. Being in management before, I knew some people not might quite understand all the duties the manager has and felt with all the negativity surrounding the situation, my best interest was to focus on work and not make opinions on what others have said. It's nor professional nor beneficial to production and team morale.

Capital One - Home Loans

Data Coordinator (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsExcellent work environment, great team members.

ConsNo Cons in the company that I know of.

Rewarding.

Risk Coordinator (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe compensation is actually on the lower side of the competition. Aside from that, the benefits are great and the company itself is always striving for change which can keep it interesting.

ConsThere is high turnover in collections and the atmosphere isn't the best.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT - a great place for high school politics

IT Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsFairly flexible work schedules, pay and benefits are ok. Work/life balance for the right groups is great. The business leadership is very sharp. A lot of the rank and file are genuinely good people.

ConsMost of the senior IT leadership is incompetent, with most of them being unprincipled Peter Principled project managers promoted way, way above their competency level who know little about technology, less about leadership, and nothing about building and fostering a healthy organization. But they are really good at playing politics and deflecting blame for their failures onto suitable scapegoats. If you aren't in the right clique - your career will go nowhere. If you are technical, your career will go nowhere (but don't worry, they have been working on a career track for technical people for the last 6 years that will eventually take it beyond the manager level, honest, it's coming any day now). Unless you come in fresh out of college, it's unlikely you will leave the company with a better set of skills than you originally came with. If that's not enough to dissuade you, here are a few more cons: they have a meeting driven culture - as in all day, all meetings. Nothing can get decided without several meetings involving up to a dozen or so people to discuss it. Even if it involves only one person actually doing something. The "anonymous" opinion surveys...probably aren't anonymous. If you aren't already tagged as being targeted for promotion, you probably won't get a great rating, no matter how great of a job you actually did. And if you aren't in the right clique - guess what, you probably won't get tagged for promotion. If you are in the right clique though, get ready for champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness leadership - fire the lot. You were sold down the river on outsourcing by the same people that are now going to "save" you from outsourcing. The only thing they are saving is money for their Highland Park estates. The reason why your IT cost per loan is higher than your competitors isn't because of any reason other than gross mismanagement and complete and utter lack of any sort of strategy by the IT senior leadership. Infantile solutions like 10% cuts across the board usually hit the projects you actually need to lower the costs long term (i.e., investment projects). How long do you think duct tape and chewing gum strategy is going to hold together aging and poorly architected platforms?

Data Oriented Culture with really smart people.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsPuts an emphasis on hiring smart people - definitely leans to more mathematical intelligence than interpersonal/innovation.

ConsVery model driven to the extent that other opportunities for improvement or gap identification are missed

Repossession Coordinator

Repossession Coordinator (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood medical, dental benefits. paid time off

ConsBad work atmosphere, lack of communication with supervisor - not much opportunity for advancement

Anonymous Remarketing Employee

Remarketing (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood benefits, 401k, average healthcare benefits

ConsBe ready to work without being compensated! Company profits are great, but not shared with those that produce it. Only good friends get raises, bonuses and promotions---not those that perform. I do not know who votes this company as one of the best places to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some, and take care of the workforce! Realize that pay has decreased for the last few years, yet profits are outta this world----pay your employees--not just your cronies.

My least favorite workplace...

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsThe pay and benefits are good. Most of the people are very intelligent; but the type of intelligence where they need a whiteboard to explain their point.

ConsI found the company's values to be quite sketchy. Trying to push customers with a 500 FICO into expensive car loans seems like a selfish way to earn a profit. Also, the corporate environment was extremely sterile (the most of any company that I have worked for) and terse. Lastly, I didn't think that the training provided was sufficient in my particular line of work.

Funding Fundin

Funding Analyst (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsLove the environment, people, management, resources, and the constant food they provide.
    It is mostly a fun environment where you can develop yourself and listen to your peers, help your peers and management, strive to learn and reach out to management who will help you establish a good career in the company.
    Great benefits.
    Good pay... Could be a little bit better.

ConsUpper management needs to listen to people and don't take others idea and make it their own by tweaking it a little bit.
    Favoritism in few departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your unit managers a chance to develop, let them breathe, and treat your associates like people not just another cube.
    Give regular associates credit for their ideas rather than taking their ideas and making it your own.

COAF Loan Originations IT by far the worst

COAF LO IT Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCompany cares for employees. Pay is good. culture is/was good.

ConsI have been working over 4 years in this LO group from COAF. Technical side, it was less politics couple of years back. With the new middle management things fallen off the wagon for the past two years. Inexperienced people managers . People will be promoted in this group based on who knows who. Work doesn't matter and is not valued. If you are a technical person and don't know how to play politics, you cannot survive even a year.Work ethics have gone to bottom. Capital One is a great company. But, please save yourself from COAF LO IT department.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have so many just people managers in your IT departments . Not needed. You need more working people, not middle managers. Please pay more attention how the Calibrations are working. you will find the loop holes.

Worked for Capital One Auto Finance? Contribute to the Community!