Capital One

3.4 1,357 reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank

Richard D. Fairbank

1,357 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Easy to manage work/life balance with flexible schedule and ability to work at home"
    in 202 reviews
  • "Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is excellent and I have a very talented department manager"
    in 49 reviews
  • "Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals"
    in 56 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sr Process Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat flexibility and time off

ConsToo many re-orgs, upper management not appreciative of those who execute the work

Here one day, gone the next. (A company that doesn't hesitate to remind you how expendable you are.)

Senior Risk Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Chester, VA

ProsGood Benefits: health, dental, vision, stock purchase etc.

ConsWork-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work. Very Cliquish, only people who get promoted are the ones who suck up to superiors or make the company a substantial amount of $$$ in a short period of time. My former colleagues and myself made this company about 20 times what they pay us. The rewards for your hard work seems non-existent. Just a small merit increase and hope for a well deserved promotion. (or at least a job that relevant towards one's degree) Emphasis on "hope."

Advice to Senior ManagementEase up on the favoritism. At least don't make it seem so obvious. smh

Not proud to work here

Seattle, WA

ProsThey offer a relaxed work environment, at least superficially, where jeans are ok, there's a ping pong table, and a gym downstairs. Depending on your manager, flexible hours or working from home might be available. Health insurance is expensive, but has good coverage.

ConsSince being purchased by Capital One, benefits and morale at our local office have sunk to all new lows. Few of our technology systems are integrated, and after two years it looks like we are nowhere closer to being so. Communication from management is more about generating a feeling of inclusion, than actually passing along useful information. And while a few original processes from our company remain in place, anything new introduced by the corporate office bring additional layers of inefficiency which prevent workers from completing normal job assignments.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't Trust them

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Sioux Falls, SD

ProsWhen I first started I had a great Trainer,(Anthony. H). He cared and trained us well. The best trainer that I ever had.

ConsOther Trainers and Manager for the trainers are rude. They make stuff up. If they do not like you they will get rid of you. Training manager has a major problem. Managers don't know what they are doing and they are to busy flirting with the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the people that are ruining your company.

Risk Associates

Capital One Risk Associate (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsCubical environment (shared) environment, super fun sometimes, and relaxed managers. (purely dependent on manager)

The bathrooms are clean, nice break areas (building management is the reason for this).

ConsIt's a collections job, you have to meet monthly quotas or else your on PIP. Once your PIP is over and you aren't improving, you'll be let go. I've seen it happens many times, sometimes it can become stressful with the monthly quota necessary and the stress they put on collecting money. Most of the time it's luck, some people will get out of the ditch they are in and be able to pay, where as others are living with their parents, homeless, jobless, and simply cannot pay even if they want to.

The supervisors and managers look for kissing ups, otherwise you have no success of moving up. If your daddy has a high position there, expect promotion fast. Otherwise, you're a sitting duck waiting for a promotion. No growth and advancements.

Previous employees will tell you that they do not like the job they are doing and the job is beyond stressful after 3-4 months working there. You will learn real fast after all the positive talking in training, they don't tell you the real things that awaits you.

Oh did I mention pay is horrible?

Advice to Senior ManagementThe job is robotic, (Collections that is) and scripted. Fix that, the pay needs to be fixed and not relied heavily upon bonuses. Just because you offer bonuses doesn't mean you should pay low, you need to keep up with the competition.

Principle Coordinator

Principal Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Laurel, MD

ProsCCB was sold to Capital One and it went down hill from there.

Consupper manager would change minds due it one way and then say do it another

Advice to Senior Managementsometime outsourcing is not good for the company, due to layoffs, how can they justify doing this, good employees that know what and how to do thing and keep the bank running at all times. the outsource co was a joke.

Awful Ever-changing nightmare

Collections Representative (Current Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsGreat people, fun atmosphere, onsite caf, and onsite company store

ConsMy schedule changed drastically four times in two months. I went from 8-5 to 10-7 back to 8-5 to 12-9 oer the course of 8 weeks. They changed my department with one day of training for a month on my last week of training, and then was sent back to nesting.

Advice to Senior ManagementdISORGANIZED SLOPPY AND DO NOTCARE ABOUT YOUR NEEDS.

Great atmospher, Little weak in training but over all good input..

Senior Customer Service Coordidnator (Former Employee)
    Glen Allen, VA

ProsGreat benefits. Vacation Pkg, Reasonable work schedule, Friendly people. I enjoye talking to our customers from all over and helping resolve them with thier issue.

ConsNo up holding of Dress code. Not training or traing to early before the project starts so we have issue with agent retention and product knowledge. unresponsive floor support creating long hold times.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little mor time in scheduling training. Keep enough agent coverage so that we can meet forcast.

Good place to start, hard to grow

ProsLearning opportunities to pick up skillsets

ConsNot a good place to learn leadership and decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower analysts, teach career development to move up and make decisions, not just skillsets

Many jobs to choos from, not so easy to move up and very volatile

Floor Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, DE

ProsThe tuition reimbursement is nice up to $5000 a year, great 401k nice matching program, discount share purchase program, many different departments to work in, if you are looking to relocate there are sites in VA, NV, DE, and more. During layoffs offered career developement services and no cost.

Cons1.5% City Tax in Wilmington, very volatile and unstable industry, many restructerings and layoffs, there is a lack of communication between sities and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the job posting system, train recruiters better, offer clearer way for job enhancement, offer job shadowing or similar opportunities to allow talent to see what is out there

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capital One CEO Richard D. Fairbank. All 1,357 reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees.