Capital One

3.4
1,610 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 251 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

1 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very open-minded company

Former Employee - Teller in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Teller in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at Capital One part-time (less than an year)

Pros

very open-minded (e.g., in terms of sexual orientation etc.); great support system in the branch I worked at; great opportunities for advancement; great health insurance

Cons

bad pay for tellers ($9/hr in Louisiana); too much focus on upselling for tellers and bankers; terrible evaluation system for hiring at corporate in Richmond (beware of the behavioral interviews!)

I used to be a teller and, despite of a certain lack of intellectual stimulation, I had a great time there. After six months, I was interviewed in Richmond for a position in data engineering. I didn't get an offer because of ONE question during the behavioral interviews that I couldn't answer (apparently I did great in all the other parts of the interview process), which lowered my average score just below the hiring threshold. Seriously!? I love algorithms too, but in terms of hiring you might want to stick to more than plain numbers.