Capital One

3.5
1,641 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

Like working at a startup that has good funding and great benefits

Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. 401K up to 7.5% company contribution, short/long term disability paid by company, discounted company stock purchase option, vacation days (able to buy more during open enrollment), unlimited sick days, 3 family care days, free financial planning consultations via Fidelity, free use of athletic trainer in company fitness centers twice a week (there is a fee to use the fitness centers, but no additional charge to use the trainers). I find the medical insurance (bronze/silver/gold options through Aetna) to be expensive compared to the HMO I can get through my spouse's employer, but I don't think the Aetna costs at Capital One are out of line with what I have observed at other companies; I'm not a fan of the high deductible though. Capital One does try to brunt the pain of the high deductible by offering free health clinics on site at major locations (no copay - family members can also visit) and no copay to visit CVS minute clinics. Very progressive company - just announced expansion of maternity leave to 12 weeks PAID, 2 weeks paid paternity leave, 6 weeks paid adoption leave/surrogate leave (if your child born via surrogate), $10K contribution toward adoption expenses. Company will contribute up to $1000 toward your flexible spending accounts (medical/dependent care).

My manager (and senior leadership team in general) have been absolutely fabulous - when my dad died, I was told "take the time you need" - very humane.

I had severe culture shock after joining Capital One for a very long time... I have encountered very few "slackers" and am continually impressed at how responsive most associates are to any requests/questions I may have - it's highly unusual for it to take more than 4 hours to get a response. Capital One takes pains to hire very intelligent, data-driven associates. I am very satisfied with my work/life balance, but that balance can be a bit unpredictable at times (mainly because I am in an operational role).

Capital One has taken great pains to recruit/retain associates hired as interns/new college grads - this program is very well-designed/run. They would be well-advised to pay a reasonably equivalent level of attention to experienced hires (obviously, more seasoned hires don't need as quite as much hand holding).

I am thoroughly impressed by the company's commitment to doing the right thing by their customers. While I won't go into any detail here, suffice it to say Capital One gives up a LOT of $ by not following the same practices used by many of the other large financial companies. The latitude given to call center associates to satisfy a customer's needs is unprecedented.

Cons

The "startup" culture at Capital One can be a double edge sword - if something isn't working, just wait six months (or less) and it will change.If you are a person who greatly values organizational structures/processes etc. remaining static over a long period of time, this is not the company for you.

There have been big changes in the senior leadership team (most external hires) in my line of business during the time I have been at Capital One, a significant number (1100+) of associates hired (many as part of the drive to insource key functions). While I think the CEO and very senior management have good plans for the company (e.g., identifying key objectives each year, and making solid plans to reach them), objective identification/planning within my own line of business is shaky at best, largely due to understaffing/lack of resources and multiple reorgs. Predictably, mentoring of associates is not what it should be in my line of business given the staffing challenges.

The company does pair up a "buddy" with new hires who request it. While I had a buddy, I didn't find it useful because the buddy was not in the same location or same role as me, and so was not able to answer many of the questions that I had.

IT has been switching over to agile-based methods (not just for software development), while also shifting to a federated model in which IT resources are assigned to a particular line of business rather than a centralized pool of IT resources. While there are some distinct advantages to that approach (e.g., IT resources are intimately familiar with the applications of their line of business and the associated network infrastructure; fewer issues with prioritizing needs across different lines of business), it makes it difficult for the remaining "central" IT organization to keep track of everything that is going on. Time will tell how this gamble pays off.

Associates in general don't like the performance management system - which strongly emphasizes 360 feedback and forced "cross-calibration" sessions amongst managers of all associates at the same level (idea is to ensure everyone uses the same standards to rate an associate).

Take a long hard look at your organizations and make sure they are organized in a way that makes sense. Then reorg once and be done with it. Similarly with Agile/federation model, think through all the processed long and hard - the devil is in the details - before pulling the trigger.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One

Pros

* Work-life balance
    * Smart People
    * Room to move

Cons

* Somewhat stagnant management
    * Less easy to move around now

good company

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

fun to work at, work-life balance, compensation, company values. This is a fortune 500 company that treats their employees well. Fun to work at.

Cons

work loads can be excessive at times. I feel like I am lost in the sea of employees. The commute sucks but at least sometimes I get to work from home. Mostly good things and the bad things are typical at most companies.

Great Company, internal move limits the $$$$

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GREAT benefits, wonderful management, spectacular life/work balance.

Cons

Since I moved up internally my pay is pretty poor. The yearly raises are minimal.

Please be aware that by putting a cap on your pay increases you are causing otherwise loyal employees to look elsewhere.

Company for young guns

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

good for new grads, lots of oppurtunities.

Cons

bad for veterans. people get d..

Work life balance

Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is project-based. You have good work life balance although sometimes some overtime.

Cons

The culture is Not very aggressive

Good Company

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Houston, TX

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Good incentive, good benefits fresh outlook on banking.

Cons

Very aggressive sales structure, employees embarrassed for lack of sales.

You are not royalty and your managers and bankers are not your subjects.

Heading in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is moving in the right direction. For a while, I was worried about discussed culture change being just talk, but the investments in fully moving into modern technology and design have been profound. I expect the company to be a lead player in financial services technology in less than 3 years.

Cons

Still getting over some of its old bureaucratic ways. Really depends on the department you're in. The more traditional, legacy business units have a much longer way to go in terms of modern methods of work. I'm lucky enough to work in one of the newer organizations, where the status quo is constantly being challenged and we're pushing in the right direction.

Could run a little lighter. Seems like there are plenty of "lifers" that are content to push paper vs. really come in everyday and make change. The company could easily cut that workforce and notice little to no loss in productivity.

Continue to let the "pioneers" push the boundaries, take risks, and experiment. Continue to shed some of the linear, static ways of thinking (and the people that propagate that kind of thinking).

Fabulous starter job

Current Employee - Senior Associate Brand Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Brand Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, autonomous, ownership, integrated marketing, cross-functional collaboration, digitally forward, fabulous, smart people

Cons

No formal rotational program, salary less than other college new hire peers in other departments

Positive work environment

I worked at Capital One

Pros

very engaging staff with friendly associates. The long time associates were very open to helping newer associates

Cons

on boarding process at times was vague around goals and career options

improve work/life balance