Capital One

3.4 1,234 reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank

Richard D. Fairbank

1,234 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Easy to manage work/life balance with flexible schedule and ability to work at home"
    in 187 reviews
  • "Job is very flexible to personal needs or work from home desires"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is excellent and I have a very talented department manager"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Performance management process is inconsistently applied; people management not a core competency"
    in 55 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Growth and change

Risk Manager (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployees are given lots of responsibility, and have a voice in the decision making process. You work with a lot of bright individuals.

ConsLots of meetings. Decisions are made by consensus very often, which can lead to a long decision making process. Lots of change in the organization structure and senior leadership. Not easy to get hired - it is a lengthy process with several interviews with different levels in the company. Not easy to get promoted. Standard policy is that you perform in a role for six months when promoted to prove yourself. At the end of 6 months you're evaluated to see if you actually receive the promotion - at that time, your title and salary kick in. So, they essentially have you busting your tail for 6 months to "earn" your new salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the "stretch" roles into promotions. If the hiring manager feels a person is suited for the job, promote them. You are losing talent to competitors who are willing to pay now...not 6 months after hire. If the hiring manager isn't satisfied with the person they promoted, let them redeploy the individual and try to hire someone again.

Great company, but highly competitive.

Principal Product Manager (Current Employee)
McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of work life flexibility, benefits are amazing, very supportive of volunteering and supporting the community. Lots of support of moving around within the company.

ConsPerformance review process can lead to ineffective measurement of associates. Associates are ranked against peers on a bell curve, so it's beneficial to a peer to provide negative feedback on others to increase their positivity. Company prides themselves on hiring the best talent. However, that means that you have a ton of smart, strong skilled individuals all competing for promotions (average promotion time is 5-6 years per level).

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all individuals in management positions value mentoring and growing their associates. Company could benefit from looking at who really loves the idea of growing people and helping them shine. Save the promotions without direct reports to strong performers.

One happy employee!

Senior Quality Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

ProsCapital One has some of the best people. Talented, bright, friendly and always willing to help you develop your skills. The benefits are unmatched and there are a plethora of growth opportunities.

ConsI have no cons to discuss. I am very pleased with my experience with Capital One.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great first job out of College

Brand Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly, collaborative environment with lots of benefits and great amenities. The maverick Financial services brand

ConsFor a 20-something, you may butt up against the 9-5 mostly married culture. This is not an ad agency or a startup, so if you're looking for that you should think elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work-life balance

wonderful experience

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training throughout the entire life of position

ConsLimited growth to be able to promote

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more supervisor positions

Great culture, good flexible place to work

I have been working at Capital One

ProsGood people that truly try to do the right thing (company motto). Co-workers typically respect each other and are good teammates. Work/life balance is encouraged. Company is really good about encouraging individuality. Pay is decent. Change is a part of the culture, so if you're unhappy in your role, there are always chances to get into a better situation.

ConsSenior mgmt leadership isn't that great. The CEO is extremely well liked and motivating, but the leadership within the businesses doesn't provide much vision. Many of those folks have risen through the ranks and have been here a long time. Many times people are promoted for delivering a project that wasn't well planned. All that's recognized is that the project was delivered, but few remember how poorly planned it was. Enterprise and supporting IT groups are not well run which makes interfacing with those groups difficult. While change is good sometimes, it also leads to learning curves in every new project. No one really knows how to get something done because the process has recently changed.

With all this said, it's still a great company to work for. Everywhere has it's frustrating attributes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectors and up should be strong leaders. Lot's of promotions occur due to project deliveries, but that doesn't necessarily mean that someone is a strong leader and should be running an organization. I've seen a lot senior management with no vision. Really take a look and find the talent buried within the organization because there are a lot of talented people.

The company is true to it's values and cultures

Senior Sales Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

ProsI work for Capital One 360 (formally ING Direct) and the company has done a great job transitioning ING Direct to what is now Capital One 360. Management encourages us to be creative and think of sales strategies to boost sales and I am recognized for my accomplishments from the company.

ConsShifts vary from week to week however management is very accommodating to my shift requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you've been doing because I couldn't be more proud of working with such a great company!

ABOVE the average

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Capital One

Prosnice working environment there. There is a small gym at the first floor.

Conssalary is not very high.

Great place to lear about Banking

GCS (Current Employee)
Laurel, MD

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople, location. Environment, Cafetera, Benefits.

ConsSchedules, Promotions, perks, Values, Some Customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership

Its a very nice experiece working with Capital one

Hadoop Developer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One as a contractor for more than a year

ProsAll employees are Friendly nature .

ConsThe work will very challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything looks good

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capital One CEO Richard D. Fairbank. All 1,234 reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees.