Capital One

3.4
1,616 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

Like working at a startup that has good funding and great benefits

Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. 401K up to 7.5% company contribution, short/long term disability paid by company, discounted company stock purchase option, vacation days (able to buy more during open enrollment), unlimited sick days, 3 family care days, free financial planning consultations via Fidelity, free use of athletic trainer in company fitness centers twice a week (there is a fee to use the fitness centers, but no additional charge to use the trainers). I find the medical insurance (bronze/silver/gold options through Aetna) to be expensive compared to the HMO I can get through my spouse's employer, but I don't think the Aetna costs at Capital One are out of line with what I have observed at other companies; I'm not a fan of the high deductible though. Capital One does try to brunt the pain of the high deductible by offering free health clinics on site at major locations (no copay - family members can also visit) and no copay to visit CVS minute clinics. Very progressive company - just announced expansion of maternity leave to 12 weeks PAID, 2 weeks paid paternity leave, 6 weeks paid adoption leave/surrogate leave (if your child born via surrogate), $10K contribution toward adoption expenses. Company will contribute up to $1000 toward your flexible spending accounts (medical/dependent care).

My manager (and senior leadership team in general) have been absolutely fabulous - when my dad died, I was told "take the time you need" - very humane.

I had severe culture shock after joining Capital One for a very long time... I have encountered very few "slackers" and am continually impressed at how responsive most associates are to any requests/questions I may have - it's highly unusual for it to take more than 4 hours to get a response. Capital One takes pains to hire very intelligent, data-driven associates. I am very satisfied with my work/life balance, but that balance can be a bit unpredictable at times (mainly because I am in an operational role).

Capital One has taken great pains to recruit/retain associates hired as interns/new college grads - this program is very well-designed/run. They would be well-advised to pay a reasonably equivalent level of attention to experienced hires (obviously, more seasoned hires don't need as quite as much hand holding).

I am thoroughly impressed by the company's commitment to doing the right thing by their customers. While I won't go into any detail here, suffice it to say Capital One gives up a LOT of $ by not following the same practices used by many of the other large financial companies. The latitude given to call center associates to satisfy a customer's needs is unprecedented.

Cons

The "startup" culture at Capital One can be a double edge sword - if something isn't working, just wait six months (or less) and it will change.If you are a person who greatly values organizational structures/processes etc. remaining static over a long period of time, this is not the company for you.

There have been big changes in the senior leadership team (most external hires) in my line of business during the time I have been at Capital One, a significant number (1100+) of associates hired (many as part of the drive to insource key functions). While I think the CEO and very senior management have good plans for the company (e.g., identifying key objectives each year, and making solid plans to reach them), objective identification/planning within my own line of business is shaky at best, largely due to understaffing/lack of resources and multiple reorgs. Predictably, mentoring of associates is not what it should be in my line of business given the staffing challenges.

The company does pair up a "buddy" with new hires who request it. While I had a buddy, I didn't find it useful because the buddy was not in the same location or same role as me, and so was not able to answer many of the questions that I had.

IT has been switching over to agile-based methods (not just for software development), while also shifting to a federated model in which IT resources are assigned to a particular line of business rather than a centralized pool of IT resources. While there are some distinct advantages to that approach (e.g., IT resources are intimately familiar with the applications of their line of business and the associated network infrastructure; fewer issues with prioritizing needs across different lines of business), it makes it difficult for the remaining "central" IT organization to keep track of everything that is going on. Time will tell how this gamble pays off.

Associates in general don't like the performance management system - which strongly emphasizes 360 feedback and forced "cross-calibration" sessions amongst managers of all associates at the same level (idea is to ensure everyone uses the same standards to rate an associate).

Take a long hard look at your organizations and make sure they are organized in a way that makes sense. Then reorg once and be done with it. Similarly with Agile/federation model, think through all the processed long and hard - the devil is in the details - before pulling the trigger.

Awesome company with many benefits

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, competitive pay, monthly bonuses, great work enviornment and team

Cons

telecommute can be kind of boring, although Capital One does try and make the experience as united as possible

Stop micromanaging your employees. This is the adult world, not Pre-K

Great career starter

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

great hours great movement opportunites

Cons

incentive pay for 2015 isn't that great

Customer service veteran, trained and skilled in several departments within the bank company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason for me to work for this company would be the fact that I'm easy to train.
    I'm very reliable and dependable
    Dedicated and hard worker to her the job done.

Cons

I don't believe there are challenges, wherever there a challenge I overcome it.

Advice would be always follow set strategies for the development and growth within the company.

Short timer

Current Employee - Principal Project Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Project Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values, work-life balance, education, team spirit

Cons

promotions, too many silos, too many process and procedures in separate entities

More emphasis on mentoring,

GREAT

Current Employee - General Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - General Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to grow within the company, great benefits, great work environment.

Cons

Very strict policy, nothing else to say

Doing a great job

operations

I have been working at Capital One as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

good environment and lots to learn

Cons

no benefits for contractors and there is little politics

Great place to work with great people

Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management is great and they really are concerned for your well-being. They watch out for you, on both a personal and professional level. It is also easy to move within the company. The outlook is great and the culture is great.

Cons

Experience may heavily depend on what team you are on. Industry area may not be for everyone. Unclear about potential exit opportunities.

More feedback would be nice

Good Company

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Capital One is fast for a bank, on the cutting edge and an industry leader in analytics. The company has been using data before 'big data' was a buzzword. Training is great for college new hires in the Analyst Development Program

Cons

After acquiring banks, has started to slow down a bit. Like most businesses, many of the processes are known through tribal knowledge only.

Friendly work environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They bring on people that they think will fit in to the friendly culture. The result is a pretty relaxed workplace. There are no horror stories about how the company turned its back on employees. You generally get the sense that you're working with good people who care about you and the work.

Cons

Only a handful of teams/roles are able to work with cutting edge technology. A lot of the work is uninspiring and low-visibility, which can lead to a career plateau.

Offer more visibility into performance management.