Capital One

3.4
1,694 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 255 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

Like working at a startup that has good funding and great benefits

Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great. 401K up to 7.5% company contribution, short/long term disability paid by company, discounted company stock purchase option, vacation days (able to buy more during open enrollment), unlimited sick days, 3 family care days, free financial planning consultations via Fidelity, free use of athletic trainer in company fitness centers twice a week (there is a fee to use the fitness centers, but no additional charge to use the trainers). I find the medical insurance (bronze/silver/gold options through Aetna) to be expensive compared to the HMO I can get through my spouse's employer, but I don't think the Aetna costs at Capital One are out of line with what I have observed at other companies; I'm not a fan of the high deductible though. Capital One does try to brunt the pain of the high deductible by offering free health clinics on site at major locations (no copay - family members can also visit) and no copay to visit CVS minute clinics. Very progressive company - just announced expansion of maternity leave to 12 weeks PAID, 2 weeks paid paternity leave, 6 weeks paid adoption leave/surrogate leave (if your child born via surrogate), $10K contribution toward adoption expenses. Company will contribute up to $1000 toward your flexible spending accounts (medical/dependent care).

My manager (and senior leadership team in general) have been absolutely fabulous - when my dad died, I was told "take the time you need" - very humane.

I had severe culture shock after joining Capital One for a very long time... I have encountered very few "slackers" and am continually impressed at how responsive most associates are to any requests/questions I may have - it's highly unusual for it to take more than 4 hours to get a response. Capital One takes pains to hire very intelligent, data-driven associates. I am very satisfied with my work/life balance, but that balance can be a bit unpredictable at times (mainly because I am in an operational role).

Capital One has taken great pains to recruit/retain associates hired as interns/new college grads - this program is very well-designed/run. They would be well-advised to pay a reasonably equivalent level of attention to experienced hires (obviously, more seasoned hires don't need as quite as much hand holding).

I am thoroughly impressed by the company's commitment to doing the right thing by their customers. While I won't go into any detail here, suffice it to say Capital One gives up a LOT of $ by not following the same practices used by many of the other large financial companies. The latitude given to call center associates to satisfy a customer's needs is unprecedented.

Cons

The "startup" culture at Capital One can be a double edge sword - if something isn't working, just wait six months (or less) and it will change.If you are a person who greatly values organizational structures/processes etc. remaining static over a long period of time, this is not the company for you.

There have been big changes in the senior leadership team (most external hires) in my line of business during the time I have been at Capital One, a significant number (1100+) of associates hired (many as part of the drive to insource key functions). While I think the CEO and very senior management have good plans for the company (e.g., identifying key objectives each year, and making solid plans to reach them), objective identification/planning within my own line of business is shaky at best, largely due to understaffing/lack of resources and multiple reorgs. Predictably, mentoring of associates is not what it should be in my line of business given the staffing challenges.

The company does pair up a "buddy" with new hires who request it. While I had a buddy, I didn't find it useful because the buddy was not in the same location or same role as me, and so was not able to answer many of the questions that I had.

IT has been switching over to agile-based methods (not just for software development), while also shifting to a federated model in which IT resources are assigned to a particular line of business rather than a centralized pool of IT resources. While there are some distinct advantages to that approach (e.g., IT resources are intimately familiar with the applications of their line of business and the associated network infrastructure; fewer issues with prioritizing needs across different lines of business), it makes it difficult for the remaining "central" IT organization to keep track of everything that is going on. Time will tell how this gamble pays off.

Associates in general don't like the performance management system - which strongly emphasizes 360 feedback and forced "cross-calibration" sessions amongst managers of all associates at the same level (idea is to ensure everyone uses the same standards to rate an associate).

Take a long hard look at your organizations and make sure they are organized in a way that makes sense. Then reorg once and be done with it. Similarly with Agile/federation model, think through all the processed long and hard - the devil is in the details - before pulling the trigger.

Great company, lots of opportunity

Former Employee - Business Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Feels entrepreneurial given size, lots of on the job perks, smart/humble coworkers, competitive compensation

Cons

Changes are slow to implement, but that is to be expected given the scale

Progressive and technology focused company

Current Employee - Process Coordinator II
    Current Employee - Process Coordinator II

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Company culture is very forward thinking and extremely technology focused, especially for a financial institution. Very open communication structure – senior leadership listens to employee concerns and ways to improve culture not only internally but for customers as well. Seem eager to promote development of minorities as a leading initiative.

Cons

Burnout seems to occur often, but may depend on department/job role

Experience seems to vary baed on department/leadership – strive for consistency.

Awesome place to work!!

Current Employee - Senior Loan Operations Coordinator in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Operations Coordinator in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

The office environment was very personable. Flexible hours; just an all around good place!!

Cons

The only Con I could think of is that they don't allow contractors there for more then two years.

Bank Teller

Former Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great introduction to the retail banking industry.

Cons

The job was too repetitive.

Better organization and access to management.

QA Manager

Former Employee - QA Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - QA Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with my peers and customers. There was a lot of constant change, but that made the work interesting.

Cons

Lots of change made it hard to keep track of the 'current process' and also wasted time. Several different departments with unclear names / descriptions. This made ti challenging to understand who they were or what they represented at times.

Look more long term in the choices being made. Short term solutions end up costing in some way (morale, time, $, resources) .

this is an awesome company to work for

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

culture, work life balance etc

Cons

nothing i can complain about

Great overall culture, but not immune from some negative pockets

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Development Programs
    Especially the Analyst Development Program
    4 weeks of 'training' (more like summer camp for business geeks) over a year allow friendships and networks to develop
    Those running the program are very receptive to feedback and actively seek it out

The company in general is very good to its main office employees (not so much contractors, call center workers etc)
    Quarterly fun days are great team-building and general fun
    Cheap Gym
    Multiple subsidized cafeterias
    on-site clinic
    on-site bank (which should really be expected given that they're a bank)
    free career counseling
    generous severance forewarning and pay
    free job search services after termination

Cons

Leadership of my customer department
    Would often jump to conclusions before getting data (the company is actively against that sort of thinking, but it happened)
    Officially rewards the value of work produced over effort put into it, but in reality a bigger emphasis on looking like you're working hard

If you're going to claim that the company uses Information Based Solutions, consider sending managers and directors to some of the training you send the analysts to.
    Also consider actually using the Personalysis as more than just a curiosity for personal reference. Classes could be suggested or even modified for the different strengths.

Good location, decent pay

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Good for college or graduate new hires. Training well structured. Diversified work culture, Many locations to choose.

Cons

Slow salary increase for low to middle level people. Work life balance is dependent on the team and personnel structure.

Great environment

Former Employee - Deposit Product in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Deposit Product in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Capital One as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture and fun work environment, devoted to helping you develop and grow

Cons

Location of offices, compensation was lacking