Capital One Reviews

3.4
1,498 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 216 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 55 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 59 reviews)

More Highlights

Company offers good benefits to entice you into employment , then fires you when you start to earn too much.

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist III (Balancer)  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist III (Balancer) in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work Hours. Location OK

Cons

Absolutely NO Job security or loyalty to devoted employees

They hire inexperienced managers who don't know what they are doing but don't give proven employees a chance for any advancement. They have a proven reputation of hiring a large number of people and then laying them all off in a year or two. They continue to violate ADA legislation and have enough lawyers to get away with it.

Destroyed my career.

Former Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time for less than a year

Pros

Telecommuting. They also took me to Austin. That's it.

Cons

Disorganization, frequent layoffs, pretentious attitude, culture of complacency makes it difficult to incentivize people to improve, tolerance and acceptance of mediocrity and intolerance toward those who want to bring about positive change.

Get your act together. I was hired by a colleague and friend who told me that Capital One was expanding, and they were interested in evolving HR and analytics. You made me believe you were interested in my career. But, as soon as you got what you wanted from me, you dismissed me in seven months because you felt like it. I should have never joined. I gave up a burgeoning career at Barclays because I believed in what you told me. Hook, line and sinker.

As for the friend who hired me, you took his hand-picked team with perfect chemistry and gave it to one of the most inept HR associates I have ever known before kicking him to the curb.

It's taken more than a year to pick up the pieces of my once promising career and start from the bottom, thanks to Capital One. You were the biggest mistake of my life.

Great to Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator  in  Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company.

Cons

Hired back to back every 2 weeks, then laid off 400 employees soon after. Before severance was given out, they fired half of those layoffs so they weren't entitled to severance. In those cases, employees came to work then lined up to be fired and not allowed to gather their personal items from their desks. Not even 20 steps to the lunchroom to gather their food. Think twice about an employer who cares so little for their employees.

Respect and dignity go a long way, as well as doing the right thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fraud Identity Coordinator

Current Employee - Fraud Investigator  in  Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Perks, benefits. Great place to work if you're fake and pretend to be satisfied with your current position and salary for the rest of your employment with them. Also, a great place to work if upper management is a family member since you're most likely to be promoted faster than anyone else that works harder.

Cons

Promotions, personal growth, company values, ethics, employee morale. Management is directed as a bureaucracy. If you use FMLA you will be looked as lazy, and management will attempt to find patterns (using FMLA during the weekends) to insinuate that you're not being truthful. Salary increase. I received a 2.5% after being one of the top performers during 2012.

Management should continue to improve attrition rates, employee engagement, be fair and transparent when living the values. I was nominated multiple times by many coworkers for exceeding the company competencies, and I was never nominated because management was bias.

Easy to get hired with good pay but you are only a number

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Good pay easy to get a job

Cons

Upper management worried about themselves only

NOT WORTH YOUR TIME

Former Employee - Fraud Investigator
    Former Employee - Fraud Investigator

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, good benefits, nice atmosphere

Cons

Compensation not near high enough for the demands, management given too much power. My time spent here (3 years) was one giant popularity contest. I got fired for "violating a code of ethics" meaning my numbers were too good, my performance too consistent and my attitude too positive that they determined I was cheating and fired me with no real proof. Go to any other bank, this ones not worth it.

Horrible Company

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator  in  Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

They offer an excellent benefits package, as well as incentives for practically anything and everything that you do.

Cons

Working for this company was ok. Everybody's experience is different. They don't value their employees. They are more worried about retention rates that development. They don't value their employees. They are more worried about retention rates that development.

Value your employees more, Focus on developing your employees vs retaining them in their departments to boost the managers bonuses.

Had to leave "Hostile" work environment

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator  in  Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vacation/sick available almost immediately, health insurance plans reasonable

Cons

Management unprofessional, mocking at times, favoritism over experience and education, micro-management mindset of the 1980's and IT advances and development is slow- I was still using Windows XP...HR does not resolve issues and will lie to unemployment office to ensure you do not receive any unemployment benefits.

Learn to respect others, refresh or obtain current education that deals with credit, laws, regulations, management and leadership because you show that you currently have none or are still in the mindset of the 20th century.

Enjoyed working as a Team!!

Former Employee - Teller  in  Slidell, LA
    Former Employee - Teller in Slidell, LA

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have great benefits but as far as working there, I always felt like something was missing. They have a excellent 401K and PTO (paid time off) plus paid holidays too!!

Cons

It seems that we were always short handed and the new people they hired didn't stay long but everybody has different work ethics.

Praise your workers more.

Management for the N.E. Regional Neighborhood lending team is terrible!! Work elsewhere!!!

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

The benefits are good, the base pay is convenient, but if you can't close loans, you will be forced to live off of a low base forever.

Cons

The management is horrible!! Run !! They will promise you one thing and then do a complete 180 degree spin around on you. Very weak on products, little to no marketing. Major H.R. complaints against management, and no action.

Work environment is worth more than gold. Listen to your employees. You have a lot to fix, too much to mention here.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!