Capital One Reviews

3.6
Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank
1,208 Ratings

Pros
  • Great work-life balance: You can find your level of commitment with respect to balancing career growth with personal interests (in 255 reviews)

• Some teams allow you to work from home a few days a week (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance in some areas (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 66 reviews)

2,395 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Like working at a (technology) startup that has good funding, great benefits, and decent work-life balance

Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an update of a review I previously posted Benefits are great. 401K up to 7.5% company contribution, short/long term disability paid by company, discounted company stock purchase option, vacation days (able to buy more during open enrollment), unlimited sick days, 3 family care days, free financial planning consultations via Fidelity, free use of athletic trainer in company fitness centers twice a week (there is a fee to use the fitness centers, but no additional charge to use the trainers). I find the medical insurance (bronze/silver/gold options through Aetna) to be expensive compared to the HMO I can get through my spouse's employer, but I don't think the Aetna costs at Capital One are out of line with what I have observed at other companies; I'm not a fan of the high deductible though. Capital One does try to brunt the pain of the high deductible by offering free health clinics on site at major locations (no copay - family members can also visit) and no copay to visit CVS minute clinics. Very progressive company - just announced expansion of maternity leave to 12 weeks PAID, 2 weeks paid paternity leave, 6 weeks paid adoption leave/surrogate leave (if your child born via surrogate), $10K contribution toward adoption expenses, fabulous medical benefits for families with autistic children. Company will contribute up to $1000 toward your flexible spending accounts (medical/dependent care). My manager (and senior leadership team in general) have been absolutely fabulous - when my dad died, I was told "take the time you need" - very humane. I had severe culture shock after joining Capital One for a very long time... I have encountered very few "slackers" and am continually impressed at how responsive most associates are to any requests/questions I may have - it's highly unusual for it to take more than 4 hours to get a response. Capital One takes pains to hire very intelligent, data-driven associates. I am very satisfied with my work/life balance, but that balance can be a bit unpredictable at times (mainly because I am in an operational role - stuff happens... and you have to deal with it right then). Capital One has taken great pains to recruit/retain associates hired as interns/new college grads - this program is very well-designed/run. They would be well-advised to pay a reasonably equivalent level of attention to experienced hires (obviously, more seasoned hires don't need as quite as much hand holding). While there is clearly room for improvement in this area, I've observed some progress on this front over the past few months - a *lot* of energy spent on trying to improve the onboarding process for experienced hires within my line of business so that they have everything they need to do their jobs once they finish the 1.5 day long HR onboarding process (which incidentally is *very* well done). Similarly, I've observed some efforts aimed at reducing the red tape that makes it difficult to do your job efficiently and reduce the "environmental" learning curve associated with being a new hire. While you might be a subject matter expert in your area, you can't be effective without also understanding the company environment. I am thoroughly impressed by the company's commitment to doing the right thing by their customers. While I won't go into any detail here, suffice it to say Capital One gives up a LOT of $ by not following the same practices used by many of the other large financial companies. The latitude given to call center associates to satisfy a customer's needs is unprecedented. Capital One University is a fabulous resource for associates ... many different types of training courses (online, instructor lead) are available - many at no cost to the associate's department. Subjects covered are typically either line of business centric or role centric (e.g. project management college, software engineering college, information security college, etc.). The corporate culture is heavily oriented toward recognizing associate contributions. The size of your pay raise and bonus are heavily predicated by your performance review rating (which is in turn based upon your contributions); the higher your performance review rating, the larger your pay raise/bonus. Bonuses can comprise a very significant portion of associate compensation - the higher your paygrade, the more significant the bonus is. Any associate can recognize another associate or team of associates for their contributions. The recognization can range from a simple thank you note to points that can be redeemed by the associate for gift cards from a wide variety of vendors to cash awards. Promotions are a *HUGE* deal at Capital One.. they are generally recognized twice a year. All promotions are publicly announced (typically first within the individual line of business, then company wide). If you are on the receiving end of a promotion, you can count on being flooded with congratulatory IMs, emails, and phone calls from fellow associates once the announcement is public. It can be a bit overwhelming if you aren't expecting it. Promotion recipients are also invited to a luncheon with their managers and members of the senior leadership team. I personally have felt very empowered to "grow my flame" here. Mobility within the organization is excellent - there are many, many roles available within information technology. If you get tired of your current role, there's an excellent chance there will be an opening in a different area of IT that you can apply for.

Cons

The "startup" culture at Capital One can be a double edge sword - if something isn't working, just wait six months (or less) and it will change. If you are a person with a "glass half empty" attitude or someone who greatly values organizational structures/processes etc. remaining static over a long period of time, this is NOT the company for you. There have been big changes in the senior leadership team (most external hires) in my line of business during the time I have been at Capital One, a significant number (1100+) of associates hired (many as part of the drive to insource key functions). While I think the CEO and very senior management have good plans for the company (e.g., identifying key objectives each year, and making solid plans to reach them), objective identification/planning within my own line of business has historically been shaky at best, largely due to understaffing/lack of resources and multiple reorgs. I have noticed some positive movement in this area over the past 2-3 months - I do like what I'm seeing/hearing - but will reserve judgement for another few months. If this changes significantly for the better, I'll up my rating from 4 to 5 stars. Predictably, mentoring of associates is not what it should be in my line of business given the staffing challenges.The company does pair up a "buddy" with new hires who request it. While I had a buddy, I didn't find it useful because the buddy was not in the same location or same role as me, and so was not able to answer many of the questions that I had.IT has been switching over to agile-based methods (not just for software development), while also shifting to a federated model in which IT resources are assigned to a particular line of business rather than a centralized pool of IT resources. While there are some distinct advantages to that approach (e.g., IT resources are intimately familiar with the applications of their line of business and the associated network infrastructure; fewer issues with prioritizing needs across different lines of business), it makes it difficult for the remaining "central" IT organization to keep track of everything that is going on. Time will tell how this gamble pays off. Associates in general don't like the performance management system, but overall I think it provides a decent measure of fairness. Everyone that I've known that has received a promotion truly deserved it.. 360 feedback is strongly emphasized as part of the performance management process. Forced "cross-calibration" sessions amongst managers of all associates at the same level are performed biannually as part of the performance management process to ensure everyone uses the same standards to rate associates. This can be a little awkward if you are at the same level as your manager (yes it happens). Your manager's ability/willingness to advocate for you during these sessions is key. If the managers participating in these cross calibration sessions don't think highly of you, you're sunk...You need to be *very* aware of that in your daily interactions with other associates. One of the main criticisms of the performance management system is that it emphasizes individual performace more than team performance. Some steps have been taken to shift that, but too soon to judge the effectiveness of that change.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at your organizations and make sure they are organized in a way that makes sense. Then reorg once and be done with it. Similarly with Agile/federation model, think through all the processed long and hard - the devil is in the details - before pulling the trigger.

Capital One Response

Jun 17, 2015 – Associate & Candidate Experience Team

Thank you for your thoughtful, detailed review! We’re thrilled that you have taken full advantage of our comprehensive benefits. Bringing humanity to banking for our customers is as high of a ... More

When Nigel Left, It all Went To Hell

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

Pros

They are pretty much the only game in town if you want decent pay.

Cons

The amount of politics and inter-departmental backstabbing is worse than any company I have ever worked. We hired a bunch of DC (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac) sharks who thrive on stamping out new ideas and replacing them with bean counters and yes-men. The women executives organized their own lobbying group to put more of their own into key positions, as did the GLT (Gay, Lesbian, and Transgendered). It's just gotten ridiculously out of control. It is 'Dilbert' on a gigantic scale, and no one has the courage to change it. Those who have tried, mysteriously end up 'redeployed' (code word for fired).

Advice to Management

Our published values are to 'Do the right thing' yet our actions don't reflect it. With no big monster to fight (like a declaration of war on the competition) the warriors have gone about fighting each other.

Dead-end Job

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Glen Allen, VA

Pros

Great benefits, thats pretty much it. oh yea and a pay check. I cannot think of any other pros. Sorry Rich Fairbanks

Cons

For me this is the absolute worst job i have ever had. management sucks, the culture is terrible. i might as well be in a highschool classroom

Advice to Management

no need to offer advice. i know now why it is that i hate calling call centers. get it together cap one

5. Capital One

Current Employee - Teller in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Teller in Staten Island, NY

Pros

They allow you to take a lunch break.

Cons

No respect for your hard work.

Advice to Management

every employee should be a valued asset to Capital One, but we clearly know we're not.

6. Capital One

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

decent pay and bonus paid by company

Cons

Emloyees are never recognized except at headquarters No Promotions

Advice to Management

Emloyees are never recognized except at headquarters

7. Capital One Auto Finance former associate.... thank God!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

We have the authority to work with the customer and keep the customer in their vehicle by trying to resolve their account.

Cons

Customer's hide their vehicle and it can be a negative mark against you if the account is not resolved at the end of the month.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and not like children.

Good benefits and people but bad company policies and managment

Former Employee - Fraud Investigator in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Fraud Investigator in Glen Allen, VA

Pros

Great teamwork between coworkers in completing work and everyone on team always willing to help and was very nice so created great inner working environment. Benefits were very good compared to other companies that I have worked for with good health premiums and stock purchase perks.

Cons

Hours very long and not consistent from day to day. Offered flex schedule but did not really matter how early you came in, if the rest of your team came in later you would still be there late. Workload very unreasonable for such a small group and company made little effort to help struggling departments shift work load. Very little work/life balance and pay was well below what could be paid for similiar job at other companies. Education assistance also not very good with only a yearly payout of $5000/yr which does not reallly pay for much with rising tuition costs.

Advice to Management

Encourage more of a work/life balance and find a way to spread work out more evenly between departments. Also work on flex hours policy so that employees who are willing to come in early do not end up feeling like they are being punished for coming in early by having to work very late into the night with the rest of the team that comes in later.

Everything was roses

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Benefits are okay. Take advantage of tuition reimbursement there. Most of the intelligent people there do. Other standard benefits.

Cons

It was all roses to start, but I quickly learned plenty of obstacles had to be hurdled daily to get my job done. Had to seek out information, seek out the right people with said information, get approvals within and outside my department, even outside the state, for small things. Those in mid and upper management seem to be clueless and out of touch. As long as the company is making progress, damn the stock prices. My stock there was originally $80/share, but fell to $40 over five years. They often seek barely warm bodies with a few active brain cells for management positions and these people are ill equipped. Many of the managers could use communication skills and human communication 101 lessons.

Advice to Management

Treat your people fair or you will one day read about it in Fortune or The Wall Street Journal. So many people have been walked out the door without regard to job performance, years in service, family needs, etc. Fairbanks and his croonies are going to run this bank into the ground. I sold every share of company stock, divested all of my accounts there and would recommend the same for anyone. And management, treat your people with respect or that will come back to haunt you one day.

Unless you are a politician

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Very flexible work environment Best company campus in Richmond

Cons

Must be a politician to work there Quiet people that get job done need not apply Managers are invisible Have to take test to get interviewed unless contractor Huge company environment and culture to match. Benefits are average compared to similiar companies

Advice to Management

Stop offshoring everything.

Horrible Workplace

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Great benefits and many locations to move around. Great place to learn all about banking.

Cons

Generations of managers that only know how to think like the former Chevy Chase Bank and have no clue what the rest of the industry does. The culture is all about favoritism and unfair treatment of staff. They never give you the information upfront and it is a forever parking lot of hidden agendas. Branches runing with skeleton crews are the norm, employees get transferred without notice, and there is a culture of crazy operations requirements that are put on the mananger's all the time. It usually feels like manangment is out to get you in order to avoid giving you a raise at the end.

Advice to Management

If you want this bank to move ahead you need to get rid of the Chevy Chase Bank folks who will "yes" you every day and undermine the original culture of Capital One.

Showing 2,395 of 2,502 reviews