Capital One Reviews

3.4
1,550 Reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 246 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Culture

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to learn technical skills.

Cons

Poor culture that does not encourage cooperation.

None.

Worst life and work balance

Current Employee - DPO in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - DPO in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Capital One (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great office space . Good idea of a mission statement !

Cons

The managers have no idea how to be managers ! Favoritism us a big issue.

Get new managers!

They think their a bank but not so sure that Senior Management agrees. Focused on return from Credit Cards.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Close to home. Salary was good. Former Chevy Chase employees are dedicated to their customers & customers are mostly loyal to the Bank. Lots of branches & a great local ATM network.

Cons

For a company that prides itself on Technology the branch systems are antiquated. Product line is weak. When you sell a Real Estate secured product it will close in 8 to 12 weeks. Process for processing loans in Plano TX is ridiculous & Senior Management did nothing to fix it. I don't think anything happened but the addition of another layer of management.

Keeps its Internet Bank separate but deceitfully tells customers it's OK for them to use branches. The only that works regularly is the Credit Card company. Very frustrating wasting the acquisition of several good banks.

Either commit to being retail Bankers or close them up. Your 3 year plan failed & it doesn't matter who you hire to run it, a flawed philosophy & strategy will not allow you to be successful.

Capital One is a great place to work.....if you live in Richmond VA or Plano TX

Current Employee - Collector in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Collector in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Capital One part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

process oriented organization. They say people are first but actions are contrary to those sentiments. If you like constant change (reporting manager, teammates, schedule bids) than this is the job for you.

Cons

since i've been here so long the problem is that i compare everything to the way it use to be. Which was much better. Gone are the days of biannual incentive trips (all expense paid for you and a guest to Cancun, Jamaica, Cabo, etc...)

Gone are the 1000 + monthly bonus of a PT employee.

Think outside of the box that you've constructed. Promo people without making them do the job for 6+ months w/o any financial benefit or keep that structure and retro their pay increase to the date that they started doing the work!

Run away!

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There weren't many pros about working here. The only ones I can list are paid time off/vacation, great company training, great coworkers, and decent medical benefits and 401k program.

Cons

Everything else not listed above. Such as, management lack major communication skills, often times employees were forced to work over 40 hours a week but not paid for overtime because often time the amount of overtime allowed was exceeded. The location was horrible, huge branch with very few tellers and RB's to assist large crowds that frequently visited the branch. Very difficult to get time off because of the lack of employees hired (company preferred to overwork current employees rather than hire more).

Take the time to communicate with everyone! All level of branch management should be on the same page. Treat the employees as human and not robots. Be more sympathetic towards the employees.

Company offers good benefits to entice you into employment , then fires you when you start to earn too much.

Former Employee - Accounting Specialist III (Balancer) in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Accounting Specialist III (Balancer) in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work Hours. Location OK

Cons

Absolutely NO Job security or loyalty to devoted employees

They hire inexperienced managers who don't know what they are doing but don't give proven employees a chance for any advancement. They have a proven reputation of hiring a large number of people and then laying them all off in a year or two. They continue to violate ADA legislation and have enough lawyers to get away with it.

Destroyed my career.

Former Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Reporting Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Telecommuting. They also took me to Austin. That's it.

Cons

Disorganization, frequent layoffs, pretentious attitude, culture of complacency makes it difficult to incentivize people to improve, tolerance and acceptance of mediocrity and intolerance toward those who want to bring about positive change.

Get your act together. I was hired by a colleague and friend who told me that Capital One was expanding, and they were interested in evolving HR and analytics. You made me believe you were interested in my career. But, as soon as you got what you wanted from me, you dismissed me in seven months because you felt like it. I should have never joined. I gave up a burgeoning career at Barclays because I believed in what you told me. Hook, line and sinker.

As for the friend who hired me, you took his hand-picked team with perfect chemistry and gave it to one of the most inept HR associates I have ever known before kicking him to the curb.

It's taken more than a year to pick up the pieces of my once promising career and start from the bottom, thanks to Capital One. You were the biggest mistake of my life.

Great to Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Tigard, OR

I worked at Capital One full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for this company.

Cons

Hired back to back every 2 weeks, then laid off 400 employees soon after. Before severance was given out, they fired half of those layoffs so they weren't entitled to severance. In those cases, employees came to work then lined up to be fired and not allowed to gather their personal items from their desks. Not even 20 steps to the lunchroom to gather their food. Think twice about an employer who cares so little for their employees.

Respect and dignity go a long way, as well as doing the right thing.

Fraud Identity Coordinator

Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Fraud Investigator in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Capital One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, benefits. Great place to work if you're fake and pretend to be satisfied with your current position and salary for the rest of your employment with them. Also, a great place to work if upper management is a family member since you're most likely to be promoted faster than anyone else that works harder.

Cons

Promotions, personal growth, company values, ethics, employee morale. Management is directed as a bureaucracy. If you use FMLA you will be looked as lazy, and management will attempt to find patterns (using FMLA during the weekends) to insinuate that you're not being truthful. Salary increase. I received a 2.5% after being one of the top performers during 2012.

Management should continue to improve attrition rates, employee engagement, be fair and transparent when living the values. I was nominated multiple times by many coworkers for exceeding the company competencies, and I was never nominated because management was bias.

Easy to get hired with good pay but you are only a number

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Good pay easy to get a job

Cons

Upper management worried about themselves only