Capital One

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.4 1,388 reviews

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank

Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance(in 213 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible(in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work(in 55 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals(in 59 reviews)

1,388 Employee Reviews

It was an OK experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge Company, well known in the industry.

ConsNot enough opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation

An Incredible Opportunity

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCoworkers are incredible, workplace is great, and the project you are given is interesting. Definitely a great place to work.

ConsCan be stressful. You start off somewhat in a trial by fire. At least at the start, they expect you to be able to hit the ground running. If you can keep up, you'll do great.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your incoming staff is already overwhelmed. Try to ease them in appropriately. They will remember it, and be very appreciative.

Working at Capital One

Fraud Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsJob has many incentives and benefits.

ConsPolicies, procedures, managers,processes change frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to frequent changes it is important that management and the staff are on the same page.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience has been good

Data Modeler (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

Prospay check every 2 weeks, you can receive money for living a healthy lifestyle, company gym

Consperformance appraisals are difficult, gym closes at 8 and is not open on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove calibration using normal distribution from the curve!

HVS CSR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits
    Not bad for a call center job

ConsWorking weekends and holidays
    hard to get time off on weekends and holidays
    back to back calls at times
    too many metrics to meet
    pay is pretty low
    I am not sure how they got voted top workplace in Tampa

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you want us to treat your customers

Very Good

ProsGreat Benifits and HR dept

ConsGoals oriented company. too much stress sometime

No room for growth at Tampa location

Fraud Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

Prosbenefits
    tuition reimbursement
    good employees/co-workers
    company creates a lot of fun/unique events to please employees
    fun place to work

ConsThis is a job for someone in or right out of college. The place is operated like college campus. It may be appealing to young graduates but no one trying to build a career. It is good for resume building and investigation experience

Great Company, Extremely poor People management

IT Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsThe IT Platform is great, leadership does go after most of the right things with regard to software, hardware, procedures. Work-life balance is also okay. While compensation is not as great as other companies I have been at or know of, perks such as low cost Fitness Center in basement, free parking, ability to work from home, cell phone and data plan for certain managers all combine to make a nice package.

ConsPeople management is where Capital One loses in a big way. Quite a few managers that I worked with do not know how to coach, provide feedback and help grow and retain resources. There is also a lack of "common culture" across managers and directors. For example, completely different messages are given by different managers/VPs/Directors about dress code or if a child can be brought in if school / day care is closed unexpectedly, Agile processes. Capital One is big on BSAs for every Agile Team and this causes significant confusion: Who owns creation of Stories, Acceptance Criteria - the BSA or team members or Product Owner.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people management across all levels, revisit the role of BSA in each Agile team to ensure clarity of roles and responsibilities across the Agile team, managers/directors/VPs to be fully on the same page regarding "culture", work-life balance soft rules etc.

good

Prosgood payment, good work-life balance

Consno idea, i may write it later

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsGreat work environment and ability to grow as an employee

ConsAs a call center agent, some of the demands of the job are unreasonable, especially coming from a manager who does not have to be on the phone all day, nor are they being "clocked" like us regular employees.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!