Capital One Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.5

Capital One Founder, Chairman & CEO Richard D. Fairbank
Richard D. Fairbank

Pros
  • Flexible work timings at Capital One helps to maintain work life balance (in 246 reviews)

• Work-from-home policy is dependent on team individually, but is generally flexible (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance sucked tremendously because the questionable shifts they have you work (in 60 reviews)

• Performance management process does not encourage associate alignment to corporate goals (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place!

Current Employee - Business Director in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Its a great place to work

Cons

It can get too analytical at the cost of common sense business

None

It all depends on what department you're in

Current Employee - Principal Coordinator in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Coordinator in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Management tends to be very flexible and allows for flexible work arrangements, either permanently or on a temporary basis. This included either working a full day from home or a portion. The gym at the main West Creek campus is great, never too crowded, knowledgeable trainers, a 5 minute or less walk from any building...and you can't beat the $15 per month fee.

Cons

Some departments are either to advance in than others, and even then it depends on your manager. I know of more than a few people who have been promoted 2+ times since they moved out of my department (within the past 2 years), but yet no one within my department has been promoted at all

It would be super if those within uppermanagement didn't look down on those of us who aren't on the same level as them...we know that you don't want to acknowledge us since you when you walk past us you act like we're not there even if we say hello. If it wasn't for us lowly people doing the actual work, you wouldn't be able to report out "your" data and look so wonderful

BA Review

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Flexible environment
    Great bonus
    Good people
    Stress good tactical leadership

Cons

Very disorganized
    Sales force mentality
    Basically acting like a collection agency for overdue accounts

Spend more on IT and stop outsourcing everthing

Good for post grads, but don't get stuck there

Former Employee - Data Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Cap One has a lot of experience to offer post college graduates, especially in analyst roles. The company generally has multiple levels of great management which will get said entry-level employees quickly up to speed on corporate analytics. There's also a plethora of systems for the analysts to work on and the learned fundamentals are highly valuable for future careers. It's a great environment, if used for a stepping stone to other careers.

Cons

Being a large company and having a fairly "locked" management structure, it is very difficult for newer employees to advance to management levels. Some friends of mine interviewed there recently, and said they had spoke to analyst managers who had been there for 10-15 years, each of whom never worked a different job since college! If you're looking for the be-all-end-all employer and are happy with 3-5% salary bumps every year, then by all means head over to Cap One.

However, if you think you're good at what you do and are expecting to double your salary in 5 years, then do not go to Cap One. It doesn't matter how smart you are, you will not move up quickly. If you find yourself in this category, you may want to consider a smaller business (<1,000 employees) - that's where you will find some serious career growth and career advancement opportunities.

With the stagnation of the credit industry, there is little that can be done to facilitate employee advancement (at a company like Cap One). If I were management, I'd create a process in which we only hire drones (who don't care about their careers) leaving the truly ambitious to pursue careers at companies where they can make more of an impact.

Great work-life balance

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

There is a great balance of work and social life. Management is respectful and helpful to subordinates and there is a lot of flexibility to move within the company. Associate development is important to the company and associates have lots of opportunities to make a difference and keep aware of high-level decision making.

Cons

There is some resistance to change at times and some associates are overworked while others have much lighter schedules. The company seeks agreement, sometimes going too far in this.

Keep up the executive speakers and make the Rich meetings accessible to everyone. Keep up the notifications on strategic developments.

good place, but very competitive and a bit of a "cult" culture particularly in M&A

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One

Pros

- smart people
    - decision making delegated to the lowest levels

Cons

- cult like feeling
    - integration issues

create more rotation opportunities for employees

Results-Oriented & Efficient Organization

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Well-run and efficient, for a large corporation.
    Great work/life balance and a focus on results.
    Very competent people throughout organization.
    Excellent benefits and facilities.

Cons

People often get promoted to management roles because they're good analysts, not because they'd make good managers.
    Some people make have ethical qualms about working for a company whose primary line of business is sub-prime credit card lending.

Try to re-orient promotion practices at the lower level so that people don't get promoted into management roles simply because they're good at their jobs; allow for increases in pay without necessarily giving people managerial responsibility.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

Great compensation and great culture.

Cons

I do not think there are any downsides.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

It is an OK place for new graduates

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One

Pros

Good starting point for new graduates. C1 hired a lot new graduate from different majors so it is a good starting point to get a step into the door of financial world.

Cons

For technical person, no much growth room or opportunity for their skills.

Need to enhance the analytical side of the company and retain the talent. New graduates tend to leave in mass after 1-2 years .

Is ok

Current Employee - Fraud Account Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Fraud Account Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One

Pros

My coworkers may be the only reason I still work here :(

Cons

My department is open until 11 pm which means if you arent' performing well, you'll be here till 11 pm

no advice