Capital Reporting

Updated July 2, 2014
Updated July 2, 2014
3.3

CEO

Great place to start a career and learn

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a high-intensity environment with an exceedingly valuable learning curve. I've worked here for over a year now, and I've learned so much from sales to client service to the general operational requirements of doing a good job as part of a small business team. Capital Reporting Company is led by a team of serial entrepreneurs, and that culture of sink or swim has absolutely yielded a strong team of A players that I enjoy spending my time with and learning from.

I also really like the people here. It's a cordial environment, and I find myself getting a lot done. Again, it's a demanding environment, but it helps a lot to like the people you work with.

Cons

The only downside to working here is that if you aren't a team player and willing to do what it takes to get the job done - no excuses - you might not like it here. This is a demanding environment best only for people that demand much of themselves (and can laugh a little along the way).

I'd say hit the brakes once in awhile, but it's hard to criticize the growth and opportunities created for people fairly young in their career...so...I won't say it.

Great to be part of a successful company!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capital is a growing company. Everyone wears many hats! Great mentoring by upper management! Many opportunities for growth!

Cons

If you aren't a team player, this isn't the place for you. As mentioned above, everyone wears many hats which gives you a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow.

Keep up the mentoring! Great leadership!

Great place to start out in DC

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capital was a great place to start out in DC as a recent college grad. Over the course of my time there, I was given lots of opportunities to try out different positions to see what suited me. I met with the CEO monthly to talk about my goals (both inside and outside the company) and my progress. Transparency is really important, and upper management strives to really get to know their employees. The community is tight knit. Overall it was an ideal first job for me in the district - a great place to get a lot of one on one time with executives and figure out your skills.

Cons

The schedule can be challenging - if you consider yourself a low-energy person, this is probably not the company for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall the worst business decision on my life!!

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

In theory, the company "could" be amazing. In really thinking about it at length there really were not any upsides or pros to the job.

Cons

I could write forever. Daily my peers were made to weep by upper management harassing them explaining how bad they sucked everyday. The owners are not great people and often involve themselves into your personal lives only to constantly put you down for taking time off or not answering emails on the weekend or holidays. The work environment is deplorable! Peers often call to only discuss how bad they are being treated, the job has no upside. Pay is low, even the commissioned sales reps typically were duped into believing they would earn commission only later learning this was a sham and you could not actually ever earn anything over your base pay. If you would like to truly waste time from your life, let upper level management talk you into working for CR and how great it is. You will quickly regret your decision and do what all the rest do, leave. It was the highest turn over I have seen in my career. As a young person just starting my career, it was no place to see what corporate life would be like. TAKE ANOTHER JOB!

Respect your staff, be 10,000% kinder, stop yelling at all of us all the time. We know you are rich, but don't flaunt it all the time while you work us so hard. You could have a phenomenal company but I believe GREED gets in your way. START OVER, rethink your principles in life!

Great Experience for Me!

Former Employee - Operations  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

A great learning experience. Lots of "coaching" and "mentoring" which is unusual. Great face time with upper level management and owners when needed. I moved away from the DC area, but was happier there than in my current job. Still in contact with CEO.

Cons

Sometimes stressful environment. Lawyers and paralegals can be tough to service.

Maybe more out of work get togethers.

Environment of Opportunity

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time

Pros

The workers are all kind and helpful, and there's a lot of talent here. Which is important, as Capital is very dedicated to promoting from within. The company strives to create opportunity for its employees, and management is careful to ask about personal and professional goals. Employees get the chance to try their hand at a variety of jobs, and learn where their talents truly lie. There are a lot of growth opportunities, both for the employees and the company itself.

Cons

The fast-paced, 24/7 legal world Capital inhabits is not for everyone, but the company works hard to keep things running smoothly even in a hectic environment.

A Culture Focused on Dishonesty

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are new to DC this is a company where you will meet lots of young people. The company workforce is very young and because of the long hours that everyone puts in, you will quickly bond with your colleagues and sometimes even establish long-term friendships.

Cons

I just recently learned about Glassdoor and was intrigued by the services Glassdoor offers. As a big fan of sites where people can post their honest reviews and insight for the benefit of others, I was thrilled to learn that there was a site for helping professionals find the right company. As we all know, the interview process can be stressful and frightening, and even once someone accepts a job offer, we are still filled with doubt over whether or not the position and company was portrayed accurately throughout the interview process and whether or not we made the right decision.

That said, after going over the reviews posted for Capital, I was not surprised to see that a common theme found within the negative reviews was that everyone spoke about how Capital goes above and beyond to cover up poor publicity on public forums by either posting fake reviews written by management or instructing current employees to post a review (after being checked by management). This was a common practice with Google reviews as well as Glassdoor reviews.

I can speak for the majority here that morality, strong ethics, and honesty are values that most professionals seek in their future employer. And with the wealth of information that is available to everyone with the click of a button, an employer such as Capital should spend more time trying to fix the issues that employees are dissatisfied with rather then trying to outnumber the negative reviews found on public forums in order to try to save their image.

It is disappointing to me that there are people who take advantage of these great public forums that are designed to help the masses efficiently share honest information and insight and instead use them as a tool to deceit.

Be receptive to these reviews. Every employer has the potential to improve.

Never work for this company!

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location: near public transit and in a great area of town near lots of bars and restaurants (so that you can drink your sorrows away after a terrible day).
    People: the people you work with will all be in their early to mid-20s which means you should have a lot in common with the people you work with. Everyone is pretty much recent grads and you all will have a lot to talk about since everyone complains about working at Capital all day every day
    Resume booster: you will get to do a lot of various tasks (mostly because the company is incredibly understaffed) which means if you can stick it out for a year or two, you will have of experiences to draw on future job interviews.

Cons

Pay/Vacation: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. For how many hours you work, you get paid nothing, but management seems to think they are paying you so well. Vacation time is limited. Since the company is understaffed you have to request time off months in advance and it is very likely even with months notice, your leave request will be denied, especially around the holidays.
    Hours: 8 to 5:30 every day. If you aren't in the office by 8:01 every morning, expect a mean nasty email from the CEO chastising you, and don't expect to leave on time either. Most employees, if they left at 5:30 were looked down upon. Most people stay until after 6 PM just because they have too much work. Lunch breaks - ha! More like run out the door, and grab something in the 30 minutes you are "allowed" to take every day. Also, expect to request time off if you want to come in/leave early for a doctors appointment. Even if you need to leave 15 minutes early, they will dock your vacation time. And expect to work nights and weekends - not optional, but required.
    Management: All super young, which means they have no idea how to actually be managers. They do not understand the line that needs to be walked between friend and manager. One moment they are joking about their weekend and then the next minute yelling at you for messing something up.
    Career Opportunities: After 1-2 years, there is no where for you to go in the company. There are the entry level employees, people who have been there for 1-2 years (which is a long time and these employees are considered senior-level employees) and upper management. There is no middle management. They may pretend to put you in a "management" position but you actually have no authority. They micro-manage everything.

Lastly, this company has no ethics. While I was employed at Capital we were tasked with writing fake reviews about the company on Google. This was directed by our CEO who approved each comment before it was posted. I think it is a little suspect that 2 negative reviews were posted about Capital, then a bunch of very nice reviews (with no cons included) were posted. Wonder if the CEO directed employees to write fake reviews here as well?

I would love to give this company 0 stars if that was possible. I wasted so much time working for this company. They give off a great 1st impression in interviews but don't be fooled. They promise a great work environment with great leadership to guide you, but it is a sham. They run a company that is only focused on making the most money and they don't care how it affects those people that work for them on a daily basis. Unless management starts to actually CARE about the people that work for them, this company is going downhill. Employees are quitting constantly.

Great place to start your career in sales and work hands on with a successful team!

Former Employee - Sales  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Capital Reporting full-time

Pros

I worked at CRC for about a year and a half. I worked in business development. For someone with very little sales experience- it is a great way to work with some successful salespeople and learn hands on what works in this industry. You really have no limit to what you can earn and and what you make of your time here- you can sit around and make peanuts or really develop your rolodex and be on meetings and assisting in important court cases. For sales- the skills are transferable so if you are looking to get started, I highly recommend it. Although- there are some older sales members who have really made a career at CRC too! There is minimal 'hand-holding' in sales- for me and others this was great- we were able to draft our own sales emails, and really market ourselves and CRC as if it was our own little business. It is also great to see how a small business works- and you are able to wear several different hats. We all made suggestions to management for sales tools that they then invested in. You definitely have a voice here. There are also committee's so even for someone who is working in sales, or operations, you can see how the company develops its marketing decisions for example. Like others said, it is also a very cool old townhouse near Dupont in DC- its easy to get to by the red, orange and blue line. I was paid quite fairly here as well. Sales staff makes commission in addition to salary and from what I know of other salespeople in DC, its really market rate for the area. Again- commission will vary on your performance and I know myself and my colleagues have had very lucrative periods when you develop a relationship with a good firm. Also- two casual days a week!

Cons

If you need strict direction in sales-there is not as much of that at Capital- like I said, there is not a lot of hand holding; however, help and advice is always available to you if you ask for it... there is a great open door policy to get advice and training to better yourself, and continual education and growth is encouraged.

It is a small company- and I know some people do not like having to help in other areas outside their job description. If you are not a team player- you may not fit in here. We all pitch in to clean up the front, prepare for emergencies, and help one another out when we are swamped (such as sales picking up the phones when the operations team is in an all hands meeting). I like this aspect of small business, so it was a pro for me, but some people may consider this a con in their job hunt.

Keep it up! It was a great place to grow and learn and I had a great time there with some awesome co-workers and managers... had I wanted to stay in sales, I would probably still be there!

i've been here for over a year

I have been working at Capital Reporting

Pros

I started working at CRC about a year after college, and since then I have grown expediently both personally and professionally. Since my first day at Capital, there is not a day that goes by where I do not feel challenged or pushed, whether it’s figuring something out in my job or stepping outside my comfort zone in my personal life. The executive team here at Capital, including the owners, do a very good at pushing you to help you grow in your career. You get what you put into it, and if you are looking for a place to explore various career paths this is the place to do it. As far as the environment, Capital Reporting Company is a very young office filled with great people who I have made lasting friendships with. Capital puts a great deal of trust into their employees, and gives a lot of responsibility that you would never be given at other companies.

Cons

There is a lot of work that needs to be done, but if you are up for a challenge, this is the place to be!

Continue to appreciate and push your employees

Worked for Capital Reporting? Contribute to the Community!