Capital Senior Living

Capital Senior Living Vice Chairman and CEO Lawrence A. Cohen

Lawrence A. Cohen

Good experience

Dietary Aide (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsIt was a good opportunity as an entry level position. I gained a lot of experience. It was a good job for a college student.

ConsThe company was unorganized and unprofessional. People would always do no call no shows and still somehow they would still have their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more demanding in tasks

Nursing Home not an Assisted Living.

Care Taker (Current Employee)

ProsResidents, DON and nursing staff are awesome

ConsVery poor pay. Administrator runs all departments, she leaves little to none to management in other areas. Preferential treatment towards a particular resident. Aide will spend 1-3 hours with resident, while others get very little care. It is about the money. It has turned more into a nursing home than an assisted living, though we are not provided equipment that nursing homes use to properly lift residents off the floor, (this is supposed to be a 'no lift' facility). New residents brought in are at a level 3 or 4. (4 being the highest an assisted living can take). Moral is down in all departments because of how the new administrator runs things, lack of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust that your nursing and dietary staff can run their own departments. Better pay if you continue to accept level 3 and 4 residents and proper equipment to properly care for these residents and staff.

Executive Director

Executive Director (Current Employee)

ProsI have worked for Capital Senior Living since 2007 and have been promoted to E.D-I am also a woman. I feel that the Corporate Headquarters has an exceptional staff and great support for those of us out here. I recently visited Dallas for Executive Director Training and found everyone to not only be professional but helpful and very interested in how they can help us do our jobs. I feel that you get out of a job what you put into it. I have the greatest staff and an awesome Regional Director who offers up time tested support to all issues I have.

ConsI have worked for other health care facilities and this company takes care of their employees. Enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I get lots of support from all corporate staff every time that I ask for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome experience!

Executive Director (Current Employee) Conroe, TX

ProsGreat environment to work. Capital Senior Living cares about their staff from Top to bottom. Their Corporate staff are very helpful and very patient. The orientation program for the new ED's is 5 star all the way. The President and all the other Corporate staff were wonderful to us. They truly make you feel like you are a part of their family. The President came down from Dallas to our community and was great not only to the staff but the residents as well. They truly do have a compassion for what they do. I'm proud to be a part of their team.

ConsI wish they would give the ED's more leeway on disciplining staff, and terminating staff that need to be gone.. Too much red tape. (Better raises).

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Keep doing what your doing.

Not a good place to work

Executive Director (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are an ED they pay well for the market

ConsNO TRAINING, very poor systems. No support staff. No vacation for 1st year. HR rson never has an answer to any of your questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a training program and have more support staff.

Care Manager

Care Manager (Current Employee) Perrysburg, OH

ProsThe residents. They are the reason I'm still working there, besides some of the co-workers I enjoy working with. They make staying a lot easier than going.

ConsAides only make $9/hr, upper management stinks. Regional manager even more so. All raises go for her approval, and she always denies it. The place is more like a nursing home than assisted living. We have total care and hospice. Currently looking for other employment, because I can barely make it on this pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the overall pay scale for aides, and you won't see such a huge turnover. Have pay that is competitive. Offer incentives regularly. Respect your employees! It makes a world of difference. I think that the Regional Manager should be fired, because she especially is out of touch with the employees and their concerns.

Micro-managers on ego trips! It's all about reports, and money! No concern for the residence. No vacation or sick time

ProsNone I can think of

ConsPoor management on ego trips, administrators who are psyco, no vacation or sick pay for a full year!.. Look for a job somewhere else!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour Egos have to be stroked too much.. You must be very insecure to have to be so boss like and micro.

Great experience working with seniors

Sales & Marketing Director (Former Employee)

ProsA very satisfying industry. the interaction with the residents, helping families in the decision making

Consno training program. Working with people who cared about the bottoom line and really didnt care for the residents. In my case my boss was someone who looked at his position as just a job until his real career was able to support him, that doesnt translate well into the success of a business. They really dont give you the time to be successful or the ability to use your own creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved in your communities

Worst.

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsJob security because people quit after being trained.

ConsWhere to start. Managment treats the staff like dogs. Constantly "it's not my problem" attitude. The most disorganized, Uncaring company I have ever worked for. Low low pay, raises 2,5 percent. No room for advancement, still have VHS for the residents, not even DVD. All about the budget, can't have more paper towels or soap because of th budget, um we are nursing staff! Management does not give a crap about residents either. Would never suggest to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarry caring., your nursing staff holds you together, budget isn't everything, the reason you have the job is because of the residents. If you help staff, they will respect and care more.

Cheap

Executive Director (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou grow to love the residents

ConsVery low pay - totally non-competitive
    Lack of appreciation by Regional and Home Office Supervisors
    Almost NO retirement benefits
    Really poor health insurance

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your people more - build teams instead of senidng ugly emails!

Worked for Capital Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!