Capital Senior Living

Updated October 23, 2014
2.4

Capital Senior Living Vice Chairman and CEO Lawrence A. Cohen
Lawrence A. Cohen

I worked at the Atrium facility in Carmichael. In the beginning it was great then it turned awful.

Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Carmichael, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Carmichael, CA

I worked at Capital Senior Living part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunch and sampling the food.

Cons

Not many opportunities to move up, poor management, if you are new they don't always work around your schedule, if you don't learn fast the other employees aren't friendly, minimum wage without tips, kind of all for yourself rather than a team.

Easy to Fix - If you open your eyes!

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior Housing working with the residents and familes is wonderful.

Cons

Corporate office is very disconnected and does not react to problems in a timely fashion. There is no team spirit and no direction. No Planning, no training, no motivation.

Get back to basics - PEOPLE. Build strong teams, and empower them to do their job. Motivate your team and reward them.

Great Residents, lovely building.

Former Employee - Employment Administrative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Employment Administrative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff really cares about the residents, very upper class facility.

Cons

No real room for advancement

Need better communication with corporate, I wish they also had better healthcare benefits.

Good experience

Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Dietary Aide in Springfield, MO

I worked at Capital Senior Living part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good opportunity as an entry level position. I gained a lot of experience. It was a good job for a college student.

Cons

The company was unorganized and unprofessional. People would always do no call no shows and still somehow they would still have their job.

Be a little more demanding in tasks

Nursing Home not an Assisted Living.

Current Employee - Care Taker
    Current Employee - Care Taker

I have been working at Capital Senior Living part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Residents, DON and nursing staff are awesome

Cons

Very poor pay. Administrator runs all departments, she leaves little to none to management in other areas. Preferential treatment towards a particular resident. Aide will spend 1-3 hours with resident, while others get very little care. It is about the money. It has turned more into a nursing home than an assisted living, though we are not provided equipment that nursing homes use to properly lift residents off the floor, (this is supposed to be a 'no lift' facility). New residents brought in are at a level 3 or 4. (4 being the highest an assisted living can take). Moral is down in all departments because of how the new administrator runs things, lack of leadership.

Trust that your nursing and dietary staff can run their own departments. Better pay if you continue to accept level 3 and 4 residents and proper equipment to properly care for these residents and staff.

Executive Director

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Capital Senior Living full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Capital Senior Living since 2007 and have been promoted to E.D-I am also a woman. I feel that the Corporate Headquarters has an exceptional staff and great support for those of us out here. I recently visited Dallas for Executive Director Training and found everyone to not only be professional but helpful and very interested in how they can help us do our jobs. I feel that you get out of a job what you put into it. I have the greatest staff and an awesome Regional Director who offers up time tested support to all issues I have.

Cons

I have worked for other health care facilities and this company takes care of their employees. Enough said.

Keep up the good work. I get lots of support from all corporate staff every time that I ask for it.

Awesome experience!

Current Employee - Executive Director in Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Conroe, TX

I have been working at Capital Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work. Capital Senior Living cares about their staff from Top to bottom. Their Corporate staff are very helpful and very patient. The orientation program for the new ED's is 5 star all the way. The President and all the other Corporate staff were wonderful to us. They truly make you feel like you are a part of their family. The President came down from Dallas to our community and was great not only to the staff but the residents as well. They truly do have a compassion for what they do. I'm proud to be a part of their team.

Cons

I wish they would give the ED's more leeway on disciplining staff, and terminating staff that need to be gone.. Too much red tape. (Better raises).

Great job! Keep doing what your doing.

Not a good place to work

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Capital Senior Living full-time

Pros

If you are an ED they pay well for the market

Cons

NO TRAINING, very poor systems. No support staff. No vacation for 1st year. HR rson never has an answer to any of your questions.

Develop a training program and have more support staff.

Care Manager

Current Employee - Care Manager in Perrysburg, OH
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Perrysburg, OH

I have been working at Capital Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The residents. They are the reason I'm still working there, besides some of the co-workers I enjoy working with. They make staying a lot easier than going.

Cons

Aides only make $9/hr, upper management stinks. Regional manager even more so. All raises go for her approval, and she always denies it. The place is more like a nursing home than assisted living. We have total care and hospice. Currently looking for other employment, because I can barely make it on this pay.

Raise the overall pay scale for aides, and you won't see such a huge turnover. Have pay that is competitive. Offer incentives regularly. Respect your employees! It makes a world of difference. I think that the Regional Manager should be fired, because she especially is out of touch with the employees and their concerns.

Micro-managers on ego trips! It's all about reports, and money! No concern for the residence. No vacation or sick time

I have been working at Capital Senior Living

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Poor management on ego trips, administrators who are psyco, no vacation or sick pay for a full year!.. Look for a job somewhere else!

Your Egos have to be stroked too much.. You must be very insecure to have to be so boss like and micro.