Capital Traders Group

Michael Azayev

associate equities trading risk-manager

Current Employee - Equity Trading Risk Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equity Trading Risk Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Capital Traders Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

friendly, fun environment with very down-to-earth people. Very educated and intelligent management. The type of work is interesting and not overly labor intensive. I had lots of freedom to think on my feet and make my own decisions. It's an honest group that gives you straight-talk about the financial world and the high-frequency industry.

Cons

When requesting a pay-raise, I was given an opportunity to take sales-call and earn extra income by commissions. I rated career opportunities a 3/5 because there is one VP risk-manager and the risk-managers under him are pretty limited in salary compensation. I'm sure you can earn more by commissions, but if you aren't good at sales, you're going to have to find another way to get your salary above 50k. Another downside is no health plan is offered free-of-charge. You have to purchase your own or go with their expensive package.

create semi-annual or annual employee compensation increases.

Could improve

I have been working at Capital Traders Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good opportunity, technology and facilities

Cons

need some more training, stagnant

Great place to work

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Capital Traders Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After graduating from college I was employed at CTG as a risk analyst for a little over a year. I developed important skills and learned a ton of valuable information while working with the firm. It was a great place to start my career on Wall st. I would recommend CTG to anyone with an opportunity to join the firm.

Cons

There were no cons while working here.

fully backed, fast executions, remote trader

Current Employee - Equities Trading Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Equities Trading Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Capital Traders Group

Pros

It is a smaller and newer firm (100 traders) I trade remote from my home. the clearing fees are very low and the software and selection and support is fantastic. They do not re-sell out any of their orders and they use Wedbush clearing So you can be guaranteed low rates and very fast executions. They have relationships with 100+ ECNs and floor brokers. The tools that they have are also good. They provide level 2 order data that other hedge funds don't have access to in retail accounts. So far I am happy with them.

Cons

trades are restricted to no shorts under $1. their software has kinks just anybody else's. their rates are good. where they really stood for me is support for their traders. They are extremely professional and always treat the customer the right way.

loosen up on the overnight margin restrictions. the gold and silver plays are gaped up every night we hear about these debt ceiling talks.

Very Supportive & Responsive

Current Employee - Option Trader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Option Trader in New York, NY

I have been working at Capital Traders Group

Pros

I've become comfortable trading with CTG. they offer all software selection das, sterling, laser, lightspeed and use Wedbush clearing with over 100 routes.the commission rates on shares for about 200k volume a month are dirt cheap which is a pretty good deal with the leverage and the software/backtesting selection it's a pretty decent prop firm to work at and the support is really good and my emails and phone calls to support are always answered and resolved within seconds.

Cons

word of advice: AVOID LASER AT ALL COSTS. even though the desk was located in the same building as genesis and laser, the charts were terrible and data would consistently freeze. I'm a lot happier having switched to sterling

get even more software, the more you guys can support the better. I'd like to see e-signal and tradestation available to the traders

great start to my professional career

Former Employee - Equities Trading Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equities Trading Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Capital Traders Group

Pros

traded for this firm from 02/2010-01/2011. I started out trading my own capital and was then asked to trade firm capital Once trading firm capital, my trades were highly scrutinized and I was under strict risk-management controlling what stocks I can trade, size, volume, risk, etc. It felt very restrictive and it can get difficult trying to explain your ideas to the risk managers who are very weary of holding overnight using firm capital, but then again you are trading the firm's capital therefore they have a right to manage that as they please.

I left capital traders to join a trading team at a larger bank. I would have never placed in the equities division at my employer had I not learned about ECNs, adding & removing liquidity, API integration, complex order entry and smart routing, etc. etc. My educational background (BS CompSci/MS financial engineering) and experience at this firm provided a great footing for my future.

Trading for a medium sized prop was great but my long term goals are to place into upper management at a prop partners/division for a large multi-national bank.

Cons

Please don't expect on getting a shot at trading as an employee unless you have a verifiable profitable track record trading. They typically recruit traders who have brokerage accounts with them and have already demonstrated profitability. I've seen more traders than I can count come in and get fired within weeks or sometimes days because of poor performance.

my compensation was based solely off performance with no consideration for hours spent working or effort put in. The mentality being traders are self-employed, no health insurance or 401k or any other benefit was offered. The environment is pretty cut throat. If you make money, you stick around. If you don't make money immediately, you'll be released without remorse.

Capital Traders Group Photos