Capitol College

www.capitol-college.edu

Capitol College Reviews

1.8

CEO

School that just doesn't try very hard to recruit

Former Employee - Graduate Enrollment Coordinator in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Graduate Enrollment Coordinator in Laurel, MD

I worked at Capitol College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. At one time, we had Fridays off in the summer and worked a condensed work week. That was nice.
    Awesome group of students. You really couldn't ask for a more dedicated bunch of people.
    Great programs that are likely to get a student hired. An easy sell.

Cons

The leadership here was woefully terrible. They prided themselves on not advertising. That could have been the reason for low enrollment, which they complained about. We had numerous meetings about how to spread the word about Capitol's programs and NONE of the suggestions were ever used, no matter how inexpensive (or free!) they were.

The pay is low here. Staring out here is one thing, but don't expect to get rich. Get experience and get out.

The economy has changed. Recruit for the economy you are in instead of what you'd like it to be. Students don't know about Capitol because no one wants to advertise it. The return on investment would be amazing if Capitol would only spend a little money.
    Also, pay people better. Invest in employees and it will pay off in the long run.

Dreary

I worked at Capitol College

Pros

Paid me enough to get by

Cons

I worked at Capitol College. Lethargic coworkers and a soul-sucking environment (hey, it's Maryland).

Let's be honest, this place is a diploma mill, a education-loan enterprise like university of phoenix. It's a depressing thing to be "earning" a sheepskin at a diploma mill, and it's depressing to be paid to enable that (like I was).

Who's even heard of this college? Really good schools don't need to even consider advertising. In hindsight I don't know how I lasted as long as I did, dragging myself out of bed...

...to be at Capitol College.

Hire management that's educated. Wild idea at a "college", right?

Run. Quickly. In the opposite direction.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at Capitol College

Pros

If you want a "comfy" job that doesn't take too much brain juice to get through the day, this is the place for you. If you're already retired, or if you're entry level, go for it!

Cons

I can't tell people enough to stay away from this place. The name of the game here is nepotism, and it shows the second you step in the door - no one under the age of 35 works here and likes it. There are NO policies and procedures in place, HR is nonexistent, management is incompetent, uneducated, and absolutely in their own little world. You will never hear a "thank you" and you'll never get paid anywhere near what you're worth. Colleagues are both lazy and crazy. You wouldn't get on the Titanic knowing it was going down, would you???

Leadership at Capitol College needs to consider a complete overhaul of their personnel, especially in the human resources department, or just sell the place to the highest bidder. But, in the short term, actually firing people who refuse to do their jobs and considering SOME kind of compensation system that is appropriate for the area would go a long way. Or, consider hiring vice presidents who have earned more than a high school diploma. Just sayin'.

Place to be in order to learn in a modern environment, innovate, and make connections that are government affiliated.

Current Employee - Help Desk Support, Assistant in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support, Assistant in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Capitol College

Pros

It is similar to a great big family, since the campus is small and contained. You eventually get to know everybody or as many people as you need to know in your surroundings.

Cons

Not too many employers (outside of Maryland, at least) know of its existence.

To make sure that Help Desk Staff gets operational integrated headphones. After all, this their main mean of communicating with professors and students in virtual classes. Sometimes, workers get stuck with old and broken headsets.