Capitol Federal Financial

Capitol Federal Financial Reviews

Updated Jan 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Capitol Federal Financial President, CEO, and Director, Capitol Federal Financial and Capitol Federal Savings Bank John B. Dicus

John B. Dicus

Great bank to work for!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Lenexa, KS

ProsGreat company, competitive pay, great benefits and awesome ESOP!

ConsWorking at an in-store branch requires long hours, tradtional branches have better hours except for fridays they are open until 6 with very little traffic between 5-6. Branches are not all on the same page. They all have different ways of doing everything. There are fewer branch manager positions now which means less room for employee advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider monitoring the traffic you have on Friday evenings at the traditional locations. It may be wise to close the lobby at 4 and have the drive thru open until 6 instead.

Great Company

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

Pros*Great management
    *Bonuses and other year-end incentives
    *Great working atmosphere

Cons*Pay is low due to it being a regional bank
    *Not a lot of room to move up because of the lack of upper management positions
    *have to work on saturdays

Advice to Senior Managementthey do the best they can for what they are given to work with

Friendly and professional

Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsTurnover allows for easy movement across branches and upward in the bank. All employees, including part-time, receive benefits. Fellow employees were friendly, helpful and professional. Management was supportive and interested in coaching employees in preparation for advancement.

ConsPart-time employees work long Fridays (10 hours) and every Saturday, making 6-day workweeks. There are fewer branch locations compared to larger banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Saturdays off or 5-week work weeks for part-time employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have immense respect for everyone I work for, and I feel like the feeling is mutual.

Topeka, KS

ProsMy superiors care about me as a person, and have allowed me a flexible schedule and the ability to telecommute to accommodate my family's needs. I feel like the organization as a whole has integrity and a stable business model.

ConsI do not feel I am compensated commensurate with the market for my job. There are compensating factors that keep me working there, such as a generous ESOP plan, but at the end of the day, we work for a paycheck, and I believe the pay structure could be adjusted.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love the fact that executive management knows me on a first name basis, and takes the time to speak to me. I respect the conservative nature of the business model, and management's focus on shareholder value--since a large part of my compensation is based around the ESOP and related dividends. I generally feel that management respects my time and does not make unreasonable requests.

Good and safe place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Topeka, KS

ProsGreat community reputation. One of the few places I have ever worked where you can wear a corp logo shirt out and have people stop you to tell you that they have been a customer for years.

ConsTo many VP and higher with 20+ years. Several get promoted because of tenure rather than skill. Saw several good employees leave after vesting in the retirement because they could get a better chance for promotion by leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage some of the 25+ year managers to retire and open some opportunities for some of your young up and comers before they go elsewhere. Look at your turnover for the last few years and ask yourselves if they could have been great officers had the the opportunities been available rather than being occupied by someone waiting to retire.

its ok very busy bank customer base is mostly retired old people

Teller (Current Employee)
    Overland Park, KS

Prosthe pay is good and the locations are very convenient to get to.As a new employee working part time you get 11.25 an hour and health benefits which i think is awesome

Conssystems and software is outdated and the training process is really long and strenuous and eventually some of the stuff you wont even get to use

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade the bank system and the building structures improve the training to be a more short and comprehensive process

Capitol Federal has been a great place to work, the advancement is very slow however.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsSmaller organization
    Great job experience
    Necessary training for job position
    Okay salary pay, especially if you do not have previous job experience

ConsBranch to Branch regulations change
    Not very much communication between managers
    Too much supply for upper positions vs. demand
    Not enough managerial meetings, or atleast they are not utilized enough.
    Salary for certain positions are off.. For example, instore positions (CSA's) have way more pressure, job duties, then a senior teller at a traditional branch

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take better track of things that are not done according to the book, and fix the problems right away. There should not be a question of how to do something, or a standard that a different branch does things differently.
    Communication between HR and Management is important as well so managers can give ideas on montly meetings

Cap Fed is a good place for a college graduate to get five years of quality work experience and then move on.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Topeka, KS

ProsThe stock plan that is part of each employees pay is phenomenal. Averages 10% of your salary to buy stock at $10 per share. With their current stock price of $36 this makes you quite a bit of money, especially with $2.00 dividends paid per year. Downside is you aren't vested for five years.

ConsSubpar medical/health benefits and you have to be management to make a decent salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe average employee needs to be paid better or they are going to continue to leave for companies that pay better.

Worked for Capitol Federal Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capitol Federal Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Capitol Federal Financial CEO John B. Dicus. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Capitol Federal Financial employees.