Capitol Office Solutions

Experienced Sales Executive Thriving at COS Xerox

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in outside sales for many years. A friend encouraged me to visit the office and consider a sales position. Two years later I have utilized the tuition reimbursement to complete a masters degree, experienced an internal promotion, was accepted to the Leadership Development Program, won a trip to another country, won awards, and learned an array of new consulting skills. This is real outside sales, and you must be built to cold call, prospect, conduct assessments, manage complex projects, and go the extra mile. We do a lot of training, roll plays, videoed selling situations. We have L&D professionals who support our learning. We make calls together and go into the field in teams and solo. If you can overcome the massive quantities of rejection that all salespeople face, wear suit/tie every day, bring energy to every encounter, and verbalize the differentiators of one of the most recognized brands in the world, then you might thrive here. The company is growing. There is a focus on internal promotions.

Cons

Outside sales is hard in every industry, and this is no exception. You have to research and call huge quantities of companies to earn the meetings and assessments that lead to success. Weekends are free, and we don't have to spend time away from family (territories are local), but the best salespeople here frequently work late on weekdays and are vigilant about responding to email/voicemail regardless of day or time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees at all levels, promoting internally, and investing in training and leadership development.

2. Great Place to Work, Lots of opportunity!!

Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product, career advancement, work hard & play hard, fantastic people, cares about employees development. Promotes from within frequently.

Cons

Work hard but the rewards are great!

Advice to Management

Communication is key, keep it up!

3. Terrific company for a sales career!!

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

COS- Xerox is a fantastic place especially for college graduates looking for that first big break in their careers. I get to work with some of the most talented and ambitious sales professionals I've ever met. We have three beautiful offices (which includes an onsite gym and cafes), lots of fun company events & outings, and a family-oriented company culture. One of my favorite aspects of working here is the work-life balance. As long as you put in dedication and smart work, you WILL be rewarded and recognized! Our sales leadership has worked very hard in creating fantastic career opportunities & financial success company-wide.

We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy! Some events COS hosts include happy hours, picnics, bowling, potlucks, birthdays, sports games, etc. During the holidays, COS hosts parties such Halloween contests and Christmas breakfast & lunches. Additionally, some charitable events they host include Toys for Tots, Food Drives, Food Kitchen, AND gift each employee a free turkey for Thanksgiving!

The company will also be hosting a lavish Holiday party in January 2015 to kick off the new year!! And another perk about being a part of sales are the incentive trips, which include places like Las Vegas, Cancun, Miami, New Orleans, AND Greece, just to name a few!

From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely recommend our organization to sales professionals out there in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area!!

Cons

Building can be cold sometime, coffee selection could use some improvement, and I wish there were healthier options for eateries around the Columbia office!

5. COS . . . A great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership believes strongly in people development. They will take a chance on good performers who demonstrate results and commitment and give them additional responsibilities to grow their careers. It is a very supportive environment and everyone is invested in helping newer employees be successful. The company has great products and are committed to providing top-notch service to our customers. Our best asset is our people and we believe in recognizing them.

Cons

Everyone has a lot of work to do so there is no room for slackers.

Advice to Management

Focus on teaching, coaching, motivating, developing and recognizing your employees.

6. An Amazing Place to work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Capitol Office Solutions for almost two years and it is an amazing place to work. COS provides a great working environment with a strong Senior Staff and Management team. Employees are friendly and great to work with. They offer amazing benefits with several options to pick and choose from for what suits your needs, leadership development, and internal advancements. COS definitely values a strong work ethic, but rewards employees’ hard work with recognition, awards, trips, incentives, etc. There are a lot of tenured employees here at Capitol Office and I plan on growing here as well.

Cons

There are no pets allowed in the office

7. Fantastic place to grow or create a career! AWESOME people!

Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with COS for over 6 years, and have had a number of different roles with increasing responsibility over that time. There is huge advancement and growth opportunity both professionally and personally. COS is very much a work / hard play hard company, but you'll get out of it ten-fold what you invest into it. The leadership team is incredibly supportive and invested in the employees' success, and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves right alongside of anyone to help out. The organization is open to change and new ideas, and is always driving for continuous improvement. My absolute favorite part of my job is the people I work with; they make work fly by every day and it makes my job fun (even during times of high stress). I would highly recommend pursuing a career with COS.

Cons

The only thing I can even partially consider as a con would be work/life balance, however that is partially optional

8. Excellent Culture

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has recently gone through some recent changes with new leadership. Things are now very positive and the company is performing. Lots of incentives for sales reps and career advancement opportunities.

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction that the company is currently going

Not a job for an experienced sales professional

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the sales force is a group of amazing people with a lot of experience to share. The training, although seemingly elementary, does a fantastic job of teaching about "Challenger" selling.

Cons

Although it is presented as outside sales, you must check in the office @ 8 am and out @ 5 pm, regardless of your territory. Expect to spend at least half the week in the office researching and tele-prospecting for new business. Additionally, as a commercial rep, your "protected" territory has been picked over by major acct reps( who take the largest accounts) and mid majors acct reps who can take accounts out of your territory as well. Be advised that there is a 50% turnover rate in the 1st year for Commercial Account Executives.

Advice to Management

Have some trust and respect for your account executives, if you are hiring experienced sales people you need to allow them the flexibility to

If you take a job here, keep your options open. It's sort of like purgatory for your career.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    It's a paycheck
    It might tie you over until you find another job

Cons

On a weekly basis, you will send an email to someone within the company only to receive a bounced message stating that the email address is no longer valid. Then you will find out that the person you are emailing is no longer with COS. This will occur so frequently that you will begin to wonder when you will be fired. You will walk on eggshells and search desperately for employment elsewhere. This will affect your performance. If you do not find another employment arrangement quickly enough, the hammer will finally come down, and you will be fired. Oddly, after you are fired, you will be somewhat relieved that your living nightmare has finally ended. The sun shines through the clouds once again. Of course you will move on to better things. How could it be worse?

Advice to Management

Don't get too comfortable. I've seen everyone from VPs to the President of the company get the axe. You might as well just use your work day to search for other employment arrangements. This place is a waste of time and energy.

Capitol Office Solutions Response

Apr 3, 2015Analyst

Thank you for your candid review. Your feedback is important. We are very sorry that your experience on our team wasn't positive. COS has gone through a great deal of transition and it is very ... More

11. Very Unorganized management

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

Management prevented sales from happening with red tape and hoops.

Capitol Office Solutions Response

Apr 3, 2015Analyst

Thank you for your feedback, it is very important to us. We have made many changes and implemented new programs and processes to streamline sales. We continue to support our talented staff so that ... More

Capitol Office Solutions Photos