Capitol Office Solutions

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
3.3

Reed Hagmann

Fantastic place to grow or create a career! AWESOME people!

Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with COS for over 6 years, and have had a number of different roles with increasing responsibility over that time. There is huge advancement and growth opportunity both professionally and personally. COS is very much a work / hard play hard company, but you'll get out of it ten-fold what you invest into it. The leadership team is incredibly supportive and invested in the employees' success, and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves right alongside of anyone to help out. The organization is open to change and new ideas, and is always driving for continuous improvement. My absolute favorite part of my job is the people I work with; they make work fly by every day and it makes my job fun (even during times of high stress). I would highly recommend pursuing a career with COS.

Cons

The only thing I can even partially consider as a con would be work/life balance, however that is partially optional

Excellent Culture

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has recently gone through some recent changes with new leadership. Things are now very positive and the company is performing. Lots of incentives for sales reps and career advancement opportunities.

Cons

No cons at this time

Continue in the direction that the company is currently going

If you take a job here, keep your options open. It's sort of like purgatory for your career.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    It's a paycheck
    It might tie you over until you find another job

Cons

On a weekly basis, you will send an email to someone within the company only to receive a bounced message stating that the email address is no longer valid. Then you will find out that the person you are emailing is no longer with COS. This will occur so frequently that you will begin to wonder when you will be fired. You will walk on eggshells and search desperately for employment elsewhere. This will affect your performance. If you do not find another employment arrangement quickly enough, the hammer will finally come down, and you will be fired. Oddly, after you are fired, you will be somewhat relieved that your living nightmare has finally ended. The sun shines through the clouds once again. Of course you will move on to better things. How could it be worse?

Don't get too comfortable. I've seen everyone from VPs to the President of the company get the axe. You might as well just use your work day to search for other employment arrangements. This place is a waste of time and energy.

Not a job for an experienced sales professional

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the sales force is a group of amazing people with a lot of experience to share. The training, although seemingly elementary, does a fantastic job of teaching about "Challenger" selling.

Cons

Although it is presented as outside sales, you must check in the office @ 8 am and out @ 5 pm, regardless of your territory. Expect to spend at least half the week in the office researching and tele-prospecting for new business. Additionally, as a commercial rep, your "protected" territory has been picked over by major acct reps( who take the largest accounts) and mid majors acct reps who can take accounts out of your territory as well. Be advised that there is a 50% turnover rate in the 1st year for Commercial Account Executives.

Have some trust and respect for your account executives, if you are hiring experienced sales people you need to allow them the flexibility to

Very Unorganized management

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

Management prevented sales from happening with red tape and hoops.

Great Training

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great for selling.

Cons

The company felt a little cliquish.

Great Opportunity !

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly and vibrant co-workers
    -Great opportunities to move up within the company
    -Great pay
    -Respectful upper management
    -Great Incentives

Cons

-Stronger and more clear understanding of company's mission
    - Solidify training

-Spend more time focusing one-on-one with reps and make sure they know and understand the training material

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Outside Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Outside Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions

Pros

Flexible schedule, income potential, the people

Cons

We are revamping our training and right now it needs a little work. I'm sure the bugs will be worked out shortly.

A lot hype but not a lot of real opportunity.

Current Employee - Solution Consultant/Account Manager
    Current Employee - Solution Consultant/Account Manager

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions

Pros

The parent company is Xerox and we have access to all their resources. It's the only copier company that has a physical presence in the city.

Cons

The accounts are not fairly distributed. The employee turnover is 40+% within the first 6 months. If you are successful, your quota will be raised, you will not get more accounts and your salary will not be increased -- your ability to make money is less. Management is horrible.

Make the account packages fair with a good balance of current accounts and net new opportunities. Fairly reward employees who are successful with better salaries and a better commission scale.

Capitol Office Solutions Photos