Capitol Office Solutions

Updated November 12, 2014
3.5

Capitol Office Solutions President Reed Hagmann
Reed Hagmann

Terrific company for a sales career!!

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

COS- Xerox is a fantastic place especially for college graduates looking for that first big break in their careers. I get to work with some of the most talented and ambitious sales professionals I've ever met. We have three beautiful offices (which includes an onsite gym and cafes), lots of fun company events & outings, and a family-oriented company culture. One of my favorite aspects of working here is the work-life balance. As long as you put in dedication and smart work, you WILL be rewarded and recognized! Our sales leadership has worked very hard in creating fantastic career opportunities & financial success company-wide.

We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy! Some events COS hosts include happy hours, picnics, bowling, potlucks, birthdays, sports games, etc. During the holidays, COS hosts parties such Halloween contests and Christmas breakfast & lunches. Additionally, some charitable events they host include Toys for Tots, Food Drives, Food Kitchen, AND gift each employee a free turkey for Thanksgiving!

The company will also be hosting a lavish Holiday party in January 2015 to kick off the new year!! And another perk about being a part of sales are the incentive trips, which include places like Las Vegas, Cancun, Miami, New Orleans, AND Greece, just to name a few!

From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely recommend our organization to sales professionals out there in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area!!

Cons

Building can be cold sometime, coffee selection could use some improvement, and I wish there were healthier options for eateries around the Columbia office!

COS . . . A great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership believes strongly in people development. They will take a chance on good performers who demonstrate results and commitment and give them additional responsibilities to grow their careers. It is a very supportive environment and everyone is invested in helping newer employees be successful. The company has great products and are committed to providing top-notch service to our customers. Our best asset is our people and we believe in recognizing them.

Cons

Everyone has a lot of work to do so there is no room for slackers.

Focus on teaching, coaching, motivating, developing and recognizing your employees.

An Amazing Place to work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for Capitol Office Solutions for almost two years and it is an amazing place to work. COS provides a great working environment with a strong Senior Staff and Management team. Employees are friendly and great to work with. They offer amazing benefits with several options to pick and choose from for what suits your needs, leadership development, and internal advancements. COS definitely values a strong work ethic, but rewards employees’ hard work with recognition, awards, trips, incentives, etc. There are a lot of tenured employees here at Capitol Office and I plan on growing here as well.

Cons

There are no pets allowed in the office

Fantastic place to grow or create a career! AWESOME people!

Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with COS for over 6 years, and have had a number of different roles with increasing responsibility over that time. There is huge advancement and growth opportunity both professionally and personally. COS is very much a work / hard play hard company, but you'll get out of it ten-fold what you invest into it. The leadership team is incredibly supportive and invested in the employees' success, and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves right alongside of anyone to help out. The organization is open to change and new ideas, and is always driving for continuous improvement. My absolute favorite part of my job is the people I work with; they make work fly by every day and it makes my job fun (even during times of high stress). I would highly recommend pursuing a career with COS.

Cons

The only thing I can even partially consider as a con would be work/life balance, however that is partially optional

Excellent Culture

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has recently gone through some recent changes with new leadership. Things are now very positive and the company is performing. Lots of incentives for sales reps and career advancement opportunities.

Cons

No cons at this time

Continue in the direction that the company is currently going

If you take a job here, keep your options open. It's sort of like purgatory for your career.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    It's a paycheck
    It might tie you over until you find another job

Cons

On a weekly basis, you will send an email to someone within the company only to receive a bounced message stating that the email address is no longer valid. Then you will find out that the person you are emailing is no longer with COS. This will occur so frequently that you will begin to wonder when you will be fired. You will walk on eggshells and search desperately for employment elsewhere. This will affect your performance. If you do not find another employment arrangement quickly enough, the hammer will finally come down, and you will be fired. Oddly, after you are fired, you will be somewhat relieved that your living nightmare has finally ended. The sun shines through the clouds once again. Of course you will move on to better things. How could it be worse?

Don't get too comfortable. I've seen everyone from VPs to the President of the company get the axe. You might as well just use your work day to search for other employment arrangements. This place is a waste of time and energy.

Not a job for an experienced sales professional

Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the sales force is a group of amazing people with a lot of experience to share. The training, although seemingly elementary, does a fantastic job of teaching about "Challenger" selling.

Cons

Although it is presented as outside sales, you must check in the office @ 8 am and out @ 5 pm, regardless of your territory. Expect to spend at least half the week in the office researching and tele-prospecting for new business. Additionally, as a commercial rep, your "protected" territory has been picked over by major acct reps( who take the largest accounts) and mid majors acct reps who can take accounts out of your territory as well. Be advised that there is a 50% turnover rate in the 1st year for Commercial Account Executives.

Have some trust and respect for your account executives, if you are hiring experienced sales people you need to allow them the flexibility to

Very Unorganized management

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits were good.

Cons

Management prevented sales from happening with red tape and hoops.

Great Training

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was great for selling.

Cons

The company felt a little cliquish.

Great Opportunity !

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Columbia, MD

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Friendly and vibrant co-workers
    -Great opportunities to move up within the company
    -Great pay
    -Respectful upper management
    -Great Incentives

Cons

-Stronger and more clear understanding of company's mission
    - Solidify training

-Spend more time focusing one-on-one with reps and make sure they know and understand the training material

Capitol Office Solutions Photos