Capitol Office Solutions Reviews

Experienced Sales Executive Thriving at COS Xerox

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been in outside sales for many years. A friend encouraged me to visit the office and consider a sales position. Two years later I have utilized the tuition reimbursement to complete a masters degree, experienced an internal promotion, was accepted to the Leadership Development Program, won a trip to another country, won awards, and learned an array of new consulting skills. This is real outside sales, and you must be built to cold call, prospect, conduct assessments, manage complex projects, and go the extra mile. We do a lot of training, roll plays, videoed selling situations. We have L&D professionals who support our learning. We make calls together and go into the field in teams and solo. If you can overcome the massive quantities of rejection that all salespeople face, wear suit/tie every day, bring energy to every encounter, and verbalize the differentiators of one of the most recognized brands in the world, then you might thrive here. The company is growing. There is a focus on internal promotions.

Cons

Outside sales is hard in every industry, and this is no exception. You have to research and call huge quantities of companies to earn the meetings and assessments that lead to success. Weekends are free, and we don't have to spend time away from family (territories are local), but the best salespeople here frequently work late on weekdays and are vigilant about responding to email/voicemail regardless of day or time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees at all levels, promoting internally, and investing in training and leadership development.

2. Energizing Environment Great Benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the work hard play hard place to be. Excellent support from staff for the sales reps. Benefits are phenomenal, Sales Incentives, if you are a sales rep are worth putting the extra work in. The energy and excitement shared by staff for sales success creates a great team environment.

Cons

Those supporting sales don't always get recognition.

Advice to Management

Keep up the energy and incentives. Don't forget the ones that assist sales in their success

3. Great place

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work

Cons

Long hours during the end of the month

5. Horrendous Company

Former Employee - MPS Print Specialist Major Accounts in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - MPS Print Specialist Major Accounts in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned some very useful sales techniques during their thorough training program, and felt prepared for success. I was really looking forward to making my mark with this company and showing off my best strength at point of sale, but never got the opportunity to do so. I liked their sales model and elevator pitch. COS is backed by reputable parent company Xerox. I received a competitive base salary, but wasn't there long enough to benefit from it!

Cons

Where to start? Cheap, poorly managed company with dismal job security. On day 1, I got to sit through a regional meeting where all the reps took a bashing for the horrible sales results the prior 2 quarters. I quickly discovered that the turnover of reps was absurdly high. They motivate through fear of job security. The morale around the office is really sad, and it's very quiet. Everyone acts like they are just trying to survive. I was the 3rd rep in 3 months to take on the job I had. I sat through their end of year sales awards meeting and couldn't believe the pathetic results they showcased. When it came to anniversary awards, in a room of over 200 reps, there was only a handful that even had tenure of greater than 5 years. This was the first and only company to ever lay me off in over 20 years of sales because I believe they couldn't handle the fact that I actually spoke up when others I depended on for my success were not doing their job. I didn't even have a working phone, computer, or account list until almost 4 weeks into the job despite my numerous requests. My manager was useless and I only even saw this person a handful of times during my entire tenure. For my first month, I was expected to drive over 2-1/2 hours a day round trip in Winter snow storms for 8 am training classes since they were too cheap to put us up in a local hotel. I ended up paying out of pocket for a room to avoid the commute and to ensure I would be alert and on time each day. They were also too cheap to bring in food so that we could at least maximize our training time while there, instead sending us out to eat each day at our own expense. Despite the challenges, I actually graduated at the top of my training class (they awarded me a leather briefcase), only to be let go the very next day since I apparently rubbed too many people the wrong way that were clearly complaining about me just to cover up for their own inefficiencies! I later discovered that all these people, including my manager, no longer work there. Gee, I wonder why! This was the first time I was ever let go from any job, and I've consistently ranked among the top 5% of every sales force I've had the pleasure to work for during the past 20 years. Ironically, I was immediately recruited by 2 of my former managers to join a competitor, and I've already gone on to get back to back Presidents Club Awards. This was at least validation for me that COS has no clue what they are doing, letting good people get away. It still annoys the heck out of me that I never even got the opportunity to prove to them what I do best which is selling and customer satisfaction! Especially after I busted my rear throughout their sales training to set myself up for success once fielded.

Advice to Management

I won't even waste my breath suggesting things to a management team that is so focused on survival that they fail to recognize opportunity and success when it's right in front of them. They are apparently more concerned about appeasing those around them that are destined to fail.

Capitol Office Solutions Response

May 5, 2015 – Analyst

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback – we are committed to continuous growth and improvement, and consider our employees to be our greatest asset. We have high standards at COS, and ... More

6. Great Place to Work, Lots of opportunity!!

Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great product, career advancement, work hard & play hard, fantastic people, cares about employees development. Promotes from within frequently.

Cons

Work hard but the rewards are great!

Advice to Management

Communication is key, keep it up!

7. Terrific company for a sales career!!

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

COS- Xerox is a fantastic place especially for college graduates looking for that first big break in their careers. I get to work with some of the most talented and ambitious sales professionals I've ever met. We have three beautiful offices (which includes an onsite gym and cafes), lots of fun company events & outings, and a family-oriented company culture. One of my favorite aspects of working here is the work-life balance. As long as you put in dedication and smart work, you WILL be rewarded and recognized! Our sales leadership has worked very hard in creating fantastic career opportunities & financial success company-wide. We definitely believe in the work hard-play hard philosophy! Some events COS hosts include happy hours, picnics, bowling, potlucks, birthdays, sports games, etc. During the holidays, COS hosts parties such Halloween contests and Christmas breakfast & lunches. Additionally, some charitable events they host include Toys for Tots, Food Drives, Food Kitchen, AND gift each employee a free turkey for Thanksgiving! The company will also be hosting a lavish Holiday party in January 2015 to kick off the new year!! And another perk about being a part of sales are the incentive trips, which include places like Las Vegas, Cancun, Miami, New Orleans, AND Greece, just to name a few! From the bottom of my heart, I genuinely recommend our organization to sales professionals out there in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area!!

Cons

Building can be cold sometime, coffee selection could use some improvement, and I wish there were healthier options for eateries around the Columbia office!

8. COS . . . A great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership believes strongly in people development. They will take a chance on good performers who demonstrate results and commitment and give them additional responsibilities to grow their careers. It is a very supportive environment and everyone is invested in helping newer employees be successful. The company has great products and are committed to providing top-notch service to our customers. Our best asset is our people and we believe in recognizing them.

Cons

Everyone has a lot of work to do so there is no room for slackers.

Advice to Management

Focus on teaching, coaching, motivating, developing and recognizing your employees.

9. An Amazing Place to work

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Capitol Office Solutions for almost two years and it is an amazing place to work. COS provides a great working environment with a strong Senior Staff and Management team. Employees are friendly and great to work with. They offer amazing benefits with several options to pick and choose from for what suits your needs, leadership development, and internal advancements. COS definitely values a strong work ethic, but rewards employees’ hard work with recognition, awards, trips, incentives, etc. There are a lot of tenured employees here at Capitol Office and I plan on growing here as well.

Cons

There are no pets allowed in the office

10. Fantastic place to grow or create a career! AWESOME people!

Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior L&D Manager in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with COS for over 6 years, and have had a number of different roles with increasing responsibility over that time. There is huge advancement and growth opportunity both professionally and personally. COS is very much a work / hard play hard company, but you'll get out of it ten-fold what you invest into it. The leadership team is incredibly supportive and invested in the employees' success, and is not afraid to roll up their sleeves right alongside of anyone to help out. The organization is open to change and new ideas, and is always driving for continuous improvement. My absolute favorite part of my job is the people I work with; they make work fly by every day and it makes my job fun (even during times of high stress). I would highly recommend pursuing a career with COS.

Cons

The only thing I can even partially consider as a con would be work/life balance, however that is partially optional

11. Excellent Culture

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Capitol Office Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has recently gone through some recent changes with new leadership. Things are now very positive and the company is performing. Lots of incentives for sales reps and career advancement opportunities.

Cons

No cons at this time

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction that the company is currently going

RSS Feed </> Embed