Cappex

Cappex Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014

Leon Heller

Valuable opportunities for professional growth

I have been working at Cappex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The organization is very forward-thinking. You get to work along side a very talented management team, contributing to your professional growth. Work-life balance is great with flex time! Some of my favorite perks are free soda and snacks, the summer company outing, and the occasional early quits.

Cons

You don't get all of the Federal holidays off.

I think management is going a good job of responding to employees needs while moving the organization forward.

Cappex Response

Aug 25, 2014VP, HR

Thanks so much for your review!

Look Elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cappex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of for Cappex is that they have some great employees and they are in a good location.

Cons

My main concern with Cappex was the managements lack of knowledge and experience in all aspects of the business. This is reflected in the companies performance.

Benefits are terrible. You are given 15 days PTO with no differentiation of sick days, personal days, or vacation days. People came into the office sick very frequently. The salaries are not competitive for comparable sales jobs in Chicago.

The environment at Cappex is hard to work in because so many employees are unhappy. There are many companies that truly value the employees. Cappex is not one of those companies. They try to act like a fun tech startup but really they are a mediocre company with mediocre products.

Hire experienced management and let go those who are not. It is really inhibiting the success of your company. Once you find good talent spend the time to train them properly and promote from within.

HR: stop writing reviews. No employee cares about snacks as a part of their career.

I spent all of my time prospecting, cold calling, and harvesting accounts.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cappex full-time

Pros

It is a start up environment, which gives you the opportunity to know everyone in the company. You work in the same room as some of the V.P.'s. It is a good first learning opportunity in the world of cold calling. The sales team is young and driven. It can be a fun and competitive environment. Good experience for right out of college.

Cons

Although you work nearby some executives, that does not necessarily mean they are available. They spend the majority of their time in meetings, which is to be expected. It is quite difficult to get time with them and the employee turnover rate is high. Make it a point to make yourself known, or you will be forgotten.

Worst job I've ever had!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cappex (more than a year)

Pros

You work with mostly good, innovative, people!
    Flexible work flow- some more than others
    You always have something to do, the work day usually goes by pretty fast
    This is a young company and you can use it to your advantage launch a successful career (elsewhere)

Cons

Those good, innovative people, are unappreciated and utilized.
    Poor management
    Hr should be handing resumes over to people with hiring power- hr person has too much say in the process
    hr also writes countless fake reviews on glassdoor. Sometimes we will be in a meeting and ask who wrote that nice review? And it's awkward because we realize no one on our team did, the hr lady wrote it FOR US. Please leave the reviews up to actual employees
    2 sick days. TWO. Guess it's better than 0 or 1, not saying much
    Want a promotion, cool, find another job they will give you one before Cappex does
    No raises. If you ask for one they will tell you there is an evaluation process twice a year. Then at that time you MIGHT get a 1% raise

Be leaders, take employees concerns into consideration
    HR- cmon, stop writing reviews, it's tacky
    CEO- own the company, hire others to run it
    Hire people with SOLID management backgrounds which should never include retail
    Let employees move up or around if they're qualified

Great people, innovative ideas

I have been working at Cappex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are surrounded by a talented and diverse group of people. Good benefits, competitive salary, advancement opportunities. True performance-based review process. Near public transportation.

Cons

Free snacks but they run out way too fast. Holidays observed by Cappex are limited.

Create more opportunities for inter-department socializing.

Cappex Response

Aug 25, 2014VP, HR

Thanks so much for taking time to write your review! We'll try to do a better job on the snacks!

Terrible Management

I have been working at Cappex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who are passionate and interesting people. A wonderful work-life balance. A great location.

Cons

There is no leadership or direction. Management is aimless, opaque, and pays only lip-service to the things that are important. They do not reward hard work or value their employees. Many people are just keeping their heads down to avoid making waves, generating a culture of average. I would seriously consider finding employment elsewhere.

Reorganize, prioritize and learn to love your employees. You need to remember that culture is created from the top. Push forward and be innovative leaders.

Great colleagues, poor management

I worked at Cappex full-time

Pros

Good location, okay benefits, a good mission to help students, generally really wonderful colleagues who will truly be your friends for life.

Cons

The company grew at way too fast a rate (nearly tripling in size in 2 years) and then as a result of poor management decisions ended up having to lay off 20% of its staff a few weeks ago. This effected literally every department, and most of the people laid off were those who had spent several years giving their blood, sweat and tears to the company and were really invaluable to their teams. In reality, they should have done everything they could to retain those employees even if it meant having to get rid of some of the management, who really were responsible for getting the company into that situation.

You definitely form very strong bonds and friendships at Cappex. The people I worked closest with will probably always be part of my life. Because of these strong bonds, morale is obviously at an all time low after they destroyed all these teams. I've heard it described as a feeling like somebody died in the office right now.

HR, while not the worst I've worked with, certainly isn't the best. There were numerous times I came to them for support and basically had my concerns dismissed. The way the layoffs were handled was disorganized and unprofessional, leaving people with even more questions and uncertainty than there already was. It now seems they're grasping at straws to try to retain the talent they have left, as this whole situation really revealed the company's true colors.

If you decide to work at Cappex, you will definitely find supportive team members within your department which will help a lot, just don't necessarily expect to find a lot of support from management.

Put people first. Period.

A big hit recently. Generally good.

I have been working at Cappex

Pros

Casual work environment, smart and fun people, inspiring mission, location, working on exciting stuff in tech and product, free pop and snacks, transparent leadership with open door policies, access to great mentorship

Cons

Recently about 20% of the company was let go. The lay off affected almost every department including talented tech people and a VP that knew everyone's name and really contributed to company culture. Disappointing. It's a tough time at Cappex right now.

PTO is only 15 days including sick which is tight. Work from home policy is strict

Benefits for family is very expensive

Hopefully management can better plan and adjust for the future so a huge lay off of generally really great people will never happen again.

Sinking ship

I have been working at Cappex full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, free snacks (not the best selection), laid back environment, not a lot of meetings

Cons

Not a great time to join this team just laid off about 15 employees which is a lot when the company consists of 60 people. HR person basically rolls eyes when conducting exit interviews, for a new company they're stuck in very old ways, your and inexperienced VPs (IN MY OPINION)

stop hiring interns and entry level candidates just because you can get away with paying them 30-40k. Hire people with experience and VALUE them. Maybe the VP's can take a paycut since they seem to not be earning thT 6 figure salary- spread that $ around.

Take Caution! Look somewhere else!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cappex (less than a year)

Pros

-The people are all generally nice
    -There are a few really smart people to learn from
    -work life balance is ok

Cons

-Management has little clue what they are doing
    -Company recently laid off 20% of their people due to bad management decisions
    -None of the people let go were the managers making the bad decisions
    -Benefits are lacking compared to other similar companies

You need to higher better qualified people throughout the company.