Capstone Financial Reviews

Chuck McCray

Perfect for my personality

Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Professional in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Endless earning potential Tons of support from senior advisors/GA Fun/competitive environment Great location in Buckhead

Cons

The start is the hardest part- long hours initially, prospecting is tough at first. Improves after a couple of months of experience!

2. Awful Experience

Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many. There are some cool people that work there and the company Christmas party was fun. All of the McCray's are great people and I see them all as running the company for years to come.

Cons

No pay. Low commission. They charge you to sit at a desk and use their printers. Constantly trying to get you to call friends and family to sell life insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary and don't make false promises.

Hard work, but it can pay off.

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited up side. Flexible working hours. Ability to learn from senior advisors by working on cases with them. Ability to make a positive difference in your clients lives.

Cons

No base salary. Generating your own clients. Start up costs associated with running your own business.

Advice to Management

Great and Knowledgeable General Agent. Sales managers have recently done a good job of motivating and keeping agents accountable. Less redundant meetings that cut into agent's time to build practice. Less pressure to be at the office 24/7.

Best decision of my life

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel like there are several areas that I consider a Pro that others may not. You have the freedom of everything with Capstone; ability to create your own schedule, work with a team of more Senior advisors, learn at your pace - (with mandatory training weekly), no ceiling on your income with a residual income building after your first year. You truly get to take on an entrepreneur experience with the backing of a fortune 100 company (MassMutual). As an advisor your clients get flexibility as well, what I mean by that is once you join the firm and are fully licensed (Life/Health, Series 6/63-can also get 65/66/7 and CFP)(Company reimbursed up to $2000 in year 1) you get to work much like an independent. As an advisor you have access to 80+ different insurance companies and with MML as a broker you are completely flexible and have seemingly unlimited resources for investments. For your clients you can either charge a fee or not charge a fee based on what the client needs/wants (with appropriate licenses of course). On top of all of this you have some nice benefits. 401K (Roth and Traditional) - with a Match after you qualify (5%), a PENSION, health insurance is subsidized (not sure on % but I don't pay much for my entire family - $180/m), they also have a HSA that they will give you up to $1000/year if you complete their monthly health assessments. Lastly, you can qualify for bonus' yearly (that could more than double your salary if you do well enough) and 4 trips that the company sponsors for you AND YOUR FAMILY!

Cons

Again, depending on how you view a career the pro's can be the con's. For example, commission driven with no base salary (residual starts in year 2) - I see this as a plus, others may not. With flexibility comes risk, if you don't put in the work you will fail. There is only so much that management can do to help. You have to take the responsibility for your own success.

Advice to Management

You have the start of a great management team in place. Keep developing and working to improve the first few months of a new advisors experience. Keep building the culture the way you have so far and this company will be in a great spot in a few years.

6. Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

You work with great people, and are able to work closely with top advisers.

Cons

It was strictly commission based

Advice to Management

Help employees get on their feet

7. Good company but lacks good middle management

Pros

Unlimited earning potential and relatively autonomous environment

Cons

Some in middle management lack the people skills to aid in the success of there agents.

8. Politics are horrible

Pros

Small firm and easy to get along with everyone. Most people are great to work with but others you just avoid.

Cons

The pay is a joke because of the favoritism from upper management. No bonus and raises are rare.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

Lots of promises, but very little payoff

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some really cool people while I was here. If I ever needed help, there were plenty of people willing to guide me to the correct answer. If you work there for more than 4 years, you will definitely see the financial payoff. They also throw pretty fun parties.

Cons

The management has a "drink the kool aid" approach with their employees. After your first interview, you will have very little idea what exactly will be required of you in the position. Then, they will attempt to tell you that you are a financial adviser for these clients that you are bringing in. At the end of the advisement process, you will come to learn that this job is about one thing and one thing only....SELLING LIFE INSURANCE. They will mold the selling of life insurance into many different things until you agree that selling life insurance to these people is the most beneficial thing that will ever happen in their lives. To make the situation worse, the first thing they want you to do when you start the job is to create a list of 10 close family members and successful friends and cold call them to come and have a meeting with you. This is when you are completely unqualified to manage someone's money. It creates awkward situations between you and family members/friends. To top all of these things off, this job is strictly commission. When I say strictly commission, I mean it took me 4 months to make a paycheck and I worked my butt off (60 hrs a week) for 4 months and did everything that was asked of me. You have to pay to park at the office. $70 a month. You even have to pay to sit at your desk. What does that mean? You have to pay a monthly amount to work in the office and that amount is subtracted from each check that you receive. What if you aren't earning a paycheck? The amount accrues and is subtracted from your paycheck when you finally receive it. Imagine finally getting a paycheck after 4 months and seeing $450 subtracted for "being at work".

Advice to Management

Pay a base salary. You would see a lot less turnover and a lot more happy faces from employees. Also, don't lie. It's life insurance. There's nothing wrong with that, just don't waste people's time.

10. Good learning experience, but a tough one

Current Employee - Financial Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Capstone Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High earning ceiling with commission

Cons

Tough to find a customer base

Advice to Management

More training and review of progress

They promised a financial salary that was unrealistic.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The support staff are wonderful, hard-working, ethical and very responsivery to questions

Cons

The turn over in 90% due to un-attainable work requiremen's and sub--par training.

Advice to Management

Treat in-coming sales (financial advisors) with respect and encourage their success. The management and company platform is one of intimidation.

RSS Feed </> Embed