Capstone Search Group

Scot Dickerson

Best career move ever

Current Employee - Search Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Search Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Capstone Search Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Capstone is a perfect blend of a company with good Midwest values (hard work ethic, caring people, work/life balance) and ability to work with Fortune 100 companies across the country. They pride themselves on having not only insurance industry knowledge, but they are on the cutting edge of new ideas within the realm of recruiting, retaining, and empowering top talent.

Cons

The only downside to working at Capstone is that you better be prepared for some sweat equity. You cannot be successful by only showing up 9-5. The ideal person to be successful at this organization is self-motivated, driven to succeed, and is willing to go the extra mile to get the job done.

Keep your best people happy. The average tenure within Capstone is well above industry average. If and when those top performers stay engaged, the sky is the limit for future success.

Committed to Success & Development

Current Employee - Search Associate in Clive, IA
    Current Employee - Search Associate in Clive, IA

I have been working at Capstone Search Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I would consider myself in the beginning stages of my career. After working for Capstone nearly 1 year, I can't imagine being a part of another organization that would be as committed to me, as I am to them.

The people that work here and the people that I get to build relationships is the ultimate pro. I came here with absolutely no knowledge of insurance and now I would consider myself well versed in the industry, I can't take all the credit, it really has been due to the entire team being so willing to answer any questions.

Additionally, the flexibility is great! Very family-friendly environment.

Cons

As in all recruiting positions, you are in charge of your own success. If you are not doing as well as you would like, you are the one needing to change your approach.

Being so new still, I am excited to see what happens when the people I speak with today, make a difference for my future.

Always keep looking to the future and be able to evolve with the world of recruiting.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Clive, IA

I have been working at Capstone Search Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Capstone is a very professional, employee focused organization. Pros include emphasis on employee development and flexibility. Another strong point is the niche focus on the insurance industry. Capstone is full of knowledgeable specialists on the industry. This makes them exciting to work for as the focus is on delivering value based results rather than just filling a job order.

Cons

Just like any job there are drawbacks. I can't think of any that would differentiate from the rest of the pack. Honestly, after nearly ten years I still can't come up with many.

Please keep focusing on the great culture!

Tremendous Company; Great Team!!

Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Capstone Search Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I joined Capstone as a young insurance professional with just a few years of sales experience. At the time I was just hoping that I could make the transition into recruiting with some of the insurance knowledge I gained being beneficial. What I found was every bit of my insurance experience was fostered into becoming a successful insurance recruiter, but more so I discovered a career that I didn't know was possible through the guidance and mentoring of Capstone's two presidents. They created an environment that was challenging but supportive; one that was about being ethical and working hard but not at the expense of work/life balance. Its great to come to work with supportive people who lift one another up during the successes and failures that come with any career but especially so in sales. I'm very grateful that Capstone's owners saw in me the opportunity to have a career in recruiting and invested in my success.

Cons

Any sales job can be a roller coaster with starts, stops and unexpected turns. This isn't unique to Capstone but really any sales organization that relies on strong relationship building internally and with external partners. I think the owners do an excellent job of guiding CSG's team through the ups and downs and keep a very level head when the going gets tough.

Management definitely has a vision for Capstone. Thank you for inviting every employee to be a part of creating and shaping that plan.

Outstanding Organization

Current Employee - Senior Search Consultant in Clive, IA

I have been working at Capstone Search Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at CSG you are put in a position to be successful. The company has a commitment to its employees to provide them with resources and tools they need to do their jobs. I find the corporate culture very refreshing and appealing. It is a terrific group of people to work with and an environment where you can earn a great living while still having the a great work/life balance. You feel valued both as an employee and as a person. While a professional organization, the importance of family and commitments outside of the office are always respected and supported.

Cons

Not a "con" of the company, but rather a reality of the job, is that recruiting is a relationship business. It takes time to develop networks and an understanding of client needs. This is not a job where you catch lightning in a bottle too often so you have to be prepared to put in the work to get where you want to go. It is all easier knowing you have a great team and leaders supporting you along the way.

You've built something special; thank you for the opportunity to be a part of it.

Good ole' boys club

Former Employee - Recruiter in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Capstone Search Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make killer money if you are good at what you do. I worked there for over a year. My first year I cleared $70,000. Not bad for first year.

Cons

Goody two-shoes environment. People that work there are corporate stuffy and not the kind of people you'd hang out with outside of work. The people that work at Capstone are so uptight and anal-retentive its hard to work with them. They do not color outside the lines. There is nothing exciting or creative about working here. The President is not a good manager or people person. Hard to talk to. If you don't wear a suit and tie, go to church, and/or aren't married with the perfect family, you will not fit in working here.

Share the wealth. The owner (Scot) pockets $500,000 annually.

Work Experience

Current Employee - Underwriter in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Waco, TX

I have been working at Capstone Search Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, competitive salary, I work as a contractor.

Cons

Since I'm a contractor, if I don't work, I don't get paid. I know with some companies, once you accumulate a certain number of hours for them, you get to take off time with pay, it would be nice if that were the case here.

If you know an assignment will be ending soon, start aggressively working to help the contractor find another assignment from the pool of positions that you are staffing for.

Horrible group of people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Capstone Search Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Impossible to communicate with anyone at this company. No one will ever answer their phone or return your voice mail. Their website needs some assistance as well, very unprofessional and lacks pertinent information.

Cons

In my 20 years of working in the insurance industry this is the worst company you could possibly work with. Their own president has awful customer service and is very uneducated.

Get new management. The president should be someone who actually wants to do their job. I would be embarrassed if someone represented my company with such an arrogant demeanor.

Capstone Search Group Response

May 28, 2014Marketing and Research Specialist

Thank you for making us aware of this situation. We offer our sincerest apologies that this has been your experience. Please reach out to me directly at brianna@insurance-csg.com or on my direct ... More

Capstone Search Group Photos