Capstone Strategic Reviews

Reset
4.0
David Braun

1. Excellent Experience!

Pros

Capstone does a great job of integrating students into big and important projects. The whole management team knew who I was and I was able to jump from project to project without being bored or overwhelmed. The office is very close and everyone is helpful and nice. Pays very well for students and is also now accessible by metro!

Cons

The office is quiet and could be more social!

2. Great summer internship for business minded students

Former Intern - Summer Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at Capstone Strategic as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience -- worked with clients on live projects. Learning environment -- everyone was really patient and helpful with learning the ins and outs of the job. Future opportunities -- although I am now interning at a new firm, Capstone came up in almost every interview and was a big selling point for myself to employers.

Cons

As others have mentioned, the office is very quiet. I don't think it's a function of people being unfriendly as much as the setup of the cubicles.

3. Make a difference - Join the team

Pros

High level of responsibility Client facing and immediate exposure Help clients grow Diversity of experience

Cons

Need to take initiative

Advice to Management

Continue to involve team in firm direction

5. Great Summer Experience

Former Employee - Summer Itern in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Itern in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Capstone Strategic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to gain exposure to a wide variety of industries - Even as an intern, I was able to interact directly with clients - The projects you work on are very interesting - Flexible scheduling - Being able to support and learn from upper level management - I felt it was a great summer internship, which helped helped me prepare for my future full-time job

Cons

- Small office, but some people prefer that environment - Traffic commuting to Tysons

Advice to Management

- Give interns larger scale projects they can perform, in addition, to the smaller tasks.

6. An entrepreneurial place to gain meaningful experience

Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at Capstone Strategic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Immediate responsibility in the project team - Direct client access and an expectation to contribute in client meetings - Exposure to a wide variety of projects spanning many industries - Flat hierarchy and an "open door" policy with management...they are constantly looking for feedback to make the job experience AND firm better - Laid-back people that like to have when they aren't working on a tight deadline

Cons

- It can be quiet in the office when people are traveling, but that seems to be par for the course at professional services companies

Advice to Management

- Firm-wide growth excites people...keep up the success!!

7. Jumpstart your career in strategy consulting

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Washington, DC

I worked at Capstone Strategic as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands on experience - I started at entry level and took the opportunity to develop my research and critical analysis skills. Proactive, self-starters seem to do particularly well; learning the building blocks of the Capstone approach is straightforward, the 'magic' happens when we get to apply it to unique clients. Great skills that I've taken with me. With a can-do attitude, you can go far. Variety - I loved the fact that Capstone works across many different industries. While we always started from their trademarked Roadmap, the application and learning was always different because of the variety of companies we worked with as well as different parts of the country and sometimes overseas. Team Longevity - Senior management team has been in the business for many years giving stability. Many team members have come in at entry level and continued on for 5+ years. I've worked with Capstone team members on and off for over 10 years and enjoyed the camaraderie. Benefits - great benefits, a reflection of management's desire to invest in their people Continuous improvement - The management team is interested in developing individual team members and supporting their personal and professional development goals. They're always open to new ideas to improve the business, for example, ways to improve onboarding processes and training.

Cons

Pay - base pay is often less competitive than other offers

Advice to Management

Consider making base pay competitive so that's not a distraction for top performers.

8. Capstone is exactly what you make of it.

Pros

This job can give you a wide range of exposure to many different fields of business. If you are willing to seek out more work and try to get more responsibilities you can get it.

Cons

The office can be slow and rather quite at times, but if you're willing to be the initiator everyone in the office is very nice and is more than happy to talk with you and share their experience.

Advice to Management

I think changing the office from strictly cubicle to an open area could really improve the atmosphere and make the work place more enjoyable.

9. good place to get experience

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

immediate access to deals and responsibility

Cons

slow to change and low pay

Advice to Management

Pay to attract talent.

10. Boring internship

Pros

In the begining I was given sole responsibility to work on one of the company projects. The internship looks good on your resume, but is not worth it unless you have not other offers.

Cons

Previous review is right on spot. There is almost no management guidance. Rest of the time you sit behind your monitor. After a while you realize most of the work repeats (boiler plate). There is almost no communication between employees. Everyone sits behind their desk all day, not even casual communication.

Advice to Management

Create a training program. Seek to hire talent. Be more social in the office

11. Dysfunctional

Pros

The work is interesting and some of the experience is very valuable. Some of the senior guys have great experience.

Cons

No training, no communication, no feedback. The place is silent, nobody talks to each other, even casually. Goals and expectations are totally unclear. Management interaction is basically nonexistent. Pay is also terrible.

Advice to Management

Communicate more goals, expectations, and feedback.

RSS Feed </> Embed