Captain Marketing Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

3.5

Bruce Gordon

Great company. Great ownership.

Former Employee - Sales/Account Management  in  Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Sales/Account Management in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at Captain Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of qualified leads. Professional work environment. Great management. Great CRM software to track potential clients. Overall great place to work.

Cons

The commission structure can be difficult to reach until you have built a decent pipeline - but this is the same at most sales jobs that offer commission.

Keep up the good work. Maybe tweak the commission structure a bit to compensate those who are just getting started. Once they get a small taste of commission it will only increase the salesman's drive to close more and more deals.

Typical boiler room telemarketing with dysfunctional management

I worked at Captain Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: Nothing really except that the free coffee is actually good. Oh, nice Mexican restaurant down stairs, plus Captain Marketing is only about 10-15 mins. to the Malibu beaches.

Cons

Cons: There is no break room in which to eat lunch and drink the free coffee. Just a tiny kitchenette with no chairs or tables for employees to relax away from the sales floor, which is the next room over.
    This is a very low quality office and people including managers are constantly eating whatever they want at their desks all day long which is disgusting and distracting. Absolutely no dress code because management does not understand the look good, feel good, do good mentality of a professionally run call center without shorts and baseball hats. But if this sounds appealing, you'll love it here.

As with most telemarketing boiler rooms, it's only as good as its leads to call. The industry that Captain Marketing is in of SEO/SMO is completely saturated with competition. They try to swindle customers with talk that they are so much better than the other hundreds of SEO/SMO businesses, but they aren't. And then there is the manager's constant high-pressure melodrama coming from the competing rooms in Alhambra and Austin, where you get the tired old comparisons of their sales quotas to the Calabasas room's. Burned out and/or dead leads, favoritism and indifferent managers is not a good business model for high profits. You will not find any openers at this office who have been cold calling there as long as a year. And you'll maybe find 2 closers who have their own office who have been there one year or more. And you can guess why that is.
    And because it is pretty much impossible to get through to the key person at high-end companies with website management budgets, your days are spent cold calling places like jolly jumper and small time yoga business owners who answer their business phones with "hello?" and have no clue on how to run a successful enterprise. As a side note, if you spend a few days trying to sell small time business owners, you'll quickly understand why the business economy in the US is in the toilet.
    Management at CM maintains a dismal day to day atmosphere and threats of job loss to its telemarketers, and because of that market saturation and absence of good lead sources to call, there is plenty of favoritism, and reps come and go as frequently do managers. This is not a place to "learn" to telemarket and the only training is when they sit you next to some other poor slob and hope he has a decent day so you can listen to him talking some other poor slob business owner into getting a callback with a high pressure sell of their services. The salary is too low and the commission fails because if you do get to a sales closing position, the little you may squeak out is not enough to live on because they hire way too many closers but have far too few interested businesses to call and try to close. They don't give you any leads that aren't disconnected/over-called, therefore the odds are stacked against you.
     It's a churn and burn motto at Cap. Mktg., and they even create phony glowing online reviews for prospective clients to read, I heard a manager talking about a place they hired to do it for them. And ask the June 13, 2014 reviewer here on Glassdoor why they left after a year if they loved it there and it's a "great place to work" with "lots of qualified leads." HAHAHAHHA That review reads like their Craigslist jobs ads filled with lies about that office to lure people in.

Stand up to the owner. My experience is that he is one-dimensional to staff when it comes to meeting and maintaining realistic sales numbers. Fearing for your manager's job every day is no way to live.
    To the owner, you reap what you sow. You're running it like a boiler room , you have no reason to complain about the lack of high sales.

Impossible quotas, Frustrating work, Horrible turnover, Awesome people. Only good as an entry level job.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Captain Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the people and the environment. Brooke and Anthony were amazing, and did their best at trying to make the environment fun for everyone. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do when you're just another monkey calling businesses and trying to sell them something that they should theoretically need, but never seem to want.

I guess the pay is a bit of a con too. But $10 an hour isn't anything to write home about. They oversell the sales compensation you could get. You have to hit a set amount of sales before you can start getting your commission. From my experience, most people just coasted through the day and pretended to be making calls. Most people either stopped showing up one day, are planning on leaving or were fired because they're numbers weren't high enough.

The environment itself is pretty cool. The building itself is set right in the middle of west campus. I could see the UT Tower right from my seat (which was actually kind of frustrating because I could see everyone walking around while I was stuck in my seat calling people who would probably end up chewing me out). The dress-code is casual and management at times tries to get free snacks and red bull for its employees.

Cons

THIS IS A COLD CALLING JOB! As most cold calling jobs, or telemarketing jobs go in general, they suck. Unfortunately, Captain doesn't do anything to help. The leads are so outdated, the script seems to be changing every couple of weeks, and the internal communication infrastructure kinda sucks. I spent about two months without a direct line. If I found someone who was interested and wanted to give them my number, I couldn't. I would have to give them the number to the office and then they would either have to be transferred to me, or they would be pitched by someone else and I wouldn't get the sale. That actually happened a lot to me, which sucks because there was probably countless commissions that I probably should have gotten.

While the company is rather mature in its existence, it is apparent that the Austin office is still learning. Everything is tentative and changing. Which is kind of exciting, but at the same time frustrating.

As I mentioned, the turnover rate is ridiculous. Many people are just there to coast and get the minimum pay while they look for another job. So many people just stop showing up. And many times most people are planning their exit from this place.

Impossible sales targets. Management seems to think that transfers equals to sales, but it doesn't. Most people just want information, so they are more than happy to be transferred to a closer, but information is all they want.

As mentioned, the database of leads is horrible. There are so many duplicate leads.

I would maybe increase base pay for your full time employees, or give them better commission on their sells. We all know every sale we make, is residual income for the company, so getting paid more for the one time sale we make shouldn't be too much to ask for.

The communication between the different branches was a bit horrific, and the time difference didn't help.

I would try to make a system where the caller can better schedule callbacks. Five9 just does not cut it. Maybe set up some type of online calendar or reminder program that wont interfere with your calling.

I hated when the only number that was focused on was transfers. Around the time that I left you guys were starting to focus more on qualified leads, but I would recommend you focus more on actual sales rather than the number of times someone can transfer a potential lead. From my experience there, most of my transferred leads were dropped because of the lack of qualifying questions we were told to ask. I get that we're cold calling and there is only a certain amount of time someone can be on the phone before they loose interested, but the sooner you get your sales associates of the phone with someone whose even remotely not interested, it frees them up to talk to someone who is.

Also, I would set up five9 in a way that for the last hour of work it is only dialing businesses in the Mountain and West coast time zones. My last hour was always a joke. So many answering machines or receptionists that would ask me to call back the next morning. I would also do this for the first two hours of work; only calling businesses on the east and central time zones. This would help streamline your calls and make the use of your workforce more efficient.

Maybe an interesting idea would be to keep the Austin office open for another hour longer. This would give the people that really wanted to work and try and reach their targets another hour to do so. With the streamlined five9 only calling the west coast, this would be viable and help weed out the people who are less motivated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked here for almost a year, promoted 2x

Current Employee - SEO Project Manager  in  Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - SEO Project Manager in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Captain Marketing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really enjoy the smart people and there's never a dull moment. Director of Operations is fair, fun and dynamic, and the Operations Manager, Joe Cabello, is always even keeled. No crazies, straightforward atmosphere with an emphasis on customer service and innovation.

Cons

High pressure, lots of different customer personalities, and competitive coworkers

Really appreciate the opportunities for advancement and the DOO's open door policy. Keep up the good work. Let's run a 10k for charity or something-maybe company softball team?

Lots to do! Great Environment.

Current Employee - SEO Project Manager  in  Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - SEO Project Manager in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Captain Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Office culture is great.
    The staff is welcoming when you are a new employee, they quickly take you in and make you feel comfortable.
    Management is very nice and professional.
    Flexibility & Schedule is accommodating.
    You can take anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour for lunch, your choice.
    The pay is decent but I think it varies.

Cons

No break-room is available. (There is a microwave & fridge & basics.)
    Parking is limited. (On a main street.)
    Not a lot of restaurants around.
    The restroom is shared with other offices in the building.

Consider increasing the incentives for employees that really go above and beyond, you have quite a few super stars on your team. Also listen to your staffs conversations with the clients... a few need further training.

Great Pay & Awesome Co-workers!

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alhambra, CA

I worked at Captain Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will actually get pay raises!
    The area outdoors is so neat! (South Pasadena & San Marino Adjacent.)
    The staff employed all act as family, very nice and caring.
    Training is provided.
    Management is very friendly.
    Recognition for your hard work!

Cons

Parking kinda sucks, it's limited. The restrooms are shared with the rest of the building offices.

Listen in on some of the calls, customer service is lacking with SOME employees. However, you have some all stars as well!

Great working environment!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Captain Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

I actually work in the sales dept. I love it. The opportunity for commission is huge and I really like my checks. Plus there is all these incentives on a daily basis that allow my coworkers & myself the chance at daily cash bonuses. My Managers are caring people who really know what they are talking about and make sure you are comfortable on the phone and with what you are selling. We work calling different states so the hours are great. Start early to accommodate the east coast and get off early (it allows me time for school.)

Cons

The parking structure is small and spaces are limited so that's the only downside.

Dissatisfied with my time as a sales agent.

I worked at Captain Marketing

Pros

As an intern, we were around a lot of people our age so we all had similar interests and got along.

Cons

Just threw you into cold calling, no real training. Expected to get over 500 calls a day and if you weren't meeting their quota they would tell you to do better, when it's difficult to always meet that number when you are calling hundreds of people every day and not everyone likes to speak to you. Just a very hard thing to deal with (cold calling).
    Very disorgainized...Shift leaders try to make incentives work and play music to give it a laid back feel... but it's all very scattered and doesn't really make sense

provide better training for sales agents and actually tell them what each package includes and go into detail what each item is.

Temporary Job for Students

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Captain Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

- the student interns are all really cool
    - office is laid back (music and snacks)
    - paid every week
    - part time and full time opportunities

Cons

- cold calling businesses
    - will make up to 500 calls a day
    - very repetitive work
    - you will get b*tched out on the phone, be warned
    - high turnover rate

upper management isn't really in the picture, take the time to get to know the employees who are making YOU the money

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at Captain Marketing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Performance is rewarded here. If you're motivated, work hard and do what's right for the clients you service, you will flourish in this environment. The company is well financed. Top management invests in making the company and its employees great. You won't find an opportunity to grow in an organization like this very many times in your life.

Cons

Some former employees have had unrealistic expectations of what management should be doing when they themselves have no experience building a successful business or understanding of how a company operates profitably. They spent more time complaining about doing their work than actually doing their work.

Keep on doing what you do.

Worked for Captain Marketing? Contribute to the Community!