Capterra Reviews

Updated February 9, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
4.7
Michael Ortner

1. I never knew working for a successful company could be this enjoyable.

I have been working at Capterra

Pros

The company culture is exceptional. I particularly appreciate the emphasis on freedom and quality work, teamwork, and the example set by the leadership.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that I do not get to come into the office as much as I would like, due to my living situation, which has caused me to often have to work remotely.

Keep it up!

2. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Marketing in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a great environment for someone to do a lot of learning. I'm just starting out in my career and the management here has really encouraged me to try different things to help me figure out exactly what I want to do within marketing and to develop my skills. Plus, no dress code - I LOVE wearing stretchy clothes to work every day. The people here have a lot of integrity as well. They work very hard and it encourages me to do my best. I never feel like I have to carry anyone on my team.

Cons

We have an open office, which has a lot of benefits, but I'm often put off by the lack of privacy. However, I'm a very loud person, so it's probably just a personal thing.

For the most part, I think management is doing a really great job - especially because they're always willing to listen to any feedback I might have. It's really important to me that my boss be willing to listen when I have a problem and help me out.

3. Fun, collaborative environment

Current Employee - Content Writer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Snacks! JK. Unlimited potential, fast-growing company, access to all levels of leadership, mentorship, collaboration.

Cons

Located in Arlington. Not everyone can get excited about business software.

Keep doing you.

Collaborative and challenging environment

Current Employee - Content Writer in Ballston, VA
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Ballston, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company's focus on hiring good cultural fits can't be overstated. Everyone here seems to get along and there's constant collaboration between business teams. The perks are of the standard tech start-up style (ping pong, arcade machine, free snacks, flexible working, etc.) but they're not undercut by self-important coworkers. In short, everyone is nice.

Cons

It's a relatively flat corporate structure, so if you like clear career paths based on tenure, you're out of luck. Due to its relative size and age, Capterra employees are often asked to work outside of their typical role descriptions. I happen to like it, but I can see that it would be frustrating for people who just want to get that one thing done and go home.

While I haven't experienced it myself, low turnover may mean that moving into senior roles requires more effort or time, as they are unlikely to be vacant.

Keep up the good work.

Fast Growing Company with Incredible Opportunities for Career Advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a small company (currently just over 30 employees), Capterra is a great environment for anyone who wants to learn and grow in their career. Having worked at larger companies in the past, one of the unique aspects of life at a small company like Capterra is that there's always room for you to do more, tackle extra projects, learn a new skill, or even transition into another department that interests you more. They really encourage you to chart your own course and get involved in projects that you will enjoy working on, because they believe that will make you a more productive and engaged employee. Also, as the company continues to grow so rapidly, there's always a need for someone to step up and take on more responsibility, which is why it's a great place to advance in your career.

I also love that at Capterra they treat everyone like adults and measure our performance based on work productivity and results, not on face time. We have unlimited time off, flexible work hours, and the option to work from home as needed. The people who work here are driven and motivated to succeed, so nobody takes advantage of these policies-- in fact, it's quite the opposite: you can always count on your coworkers to take their work seriously and do a stellar job.

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there can be some growing pains. If you're someone who likes a very structured, scheduled, policy-driven workplace, this is not the place for you. When you first start working here, you realize that nobody is going to hold your hand through every project, and there's a "learn by doing" expectation. Personally, I like that approach, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Continue to foster openness and transparency as the company continues to grow, and don't lose sight of communication with people at all levels of the organization. I think you've done a great job of making everyone feel like we're in this ship together thus far, and I really appreciate how you ask for feedback from everyone across the company. I believe that the tools and plans we have in place will help us maintain our culture as the company continues to grow.

An incredible company to work for

I have been working at Capterra full-time

Pros

The best part of this company is the culture. Everyone is fantastically kind and generous to each other. The CEO, Mike Ortner, is all about work/life balance and encourages his employees to never stop growing. This is a great community, not just a great company, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Cons

There really aren't that many cons to Capterra. Being a smaller company, there aren't that many opportunities for advancement--but since titles aren't really a "thing" here that point is somewhat moot.

Great perks but not a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Capterra full-time

Pros

Good perks like parking, transportation covered, snacks, ping pong, group outings. The usual perks you'd expect from a startup, but on a smaller scale.

Cons

I was underutilized by my manager, received contradictory instructions from management, was brought into management's personal gripe with a co-worker, un-professional office culture and interactions, and my department was directionless and ultimately eliminated. In general, management wasn't very "above the board" in a lot of areas.

One of the best places I've ever worked.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everything is a pro in one way or another.

The team is amazing. Everyone is really kind and easy to get along with, and more importantly, everyone brings something unique and great to the table. I've generally been a pretty introspective, introverted type of person, and *every* single person at Capterra has gone out of their way in some way to make me feel comfortable, which I totally didn't expect. Everyone jives in a cool, familial kind of way. It makes the office very comfortable.

The work is a great mix of interesting, cutting edge, and fun. I'm an engineer and when it comes to our projects, our job is ultimately to make things better. So, sometimes the ideas come from the business team and other times they come from within the tech team, but we're always doing something. I like to keep moving and stay active, so it's perfect for me. Our bosses are very open minded when it comes to working with new technologies -- just make a case. If it makes sense, they're willing to do it. But at the same time, everyone brings their experience and wisdom to the table and everything has a point and a purpose. Plus, I'm a total Rubyist which is awesome for me because we do 90% of our development in Ruby.

Plus, our tech team is small, but extremely impressive. Everyone I work with is very intelligent. It may seem like an odd thing, but I have a genius IQ and when I was looking for a new role, I was pretty stubborn about making sure the people I would be working with would be able to roll at my level and I've been very satisfied in regards to this. I've been involved in several interviews for new tech team members at this point and we are extremely picky too. It feels good that I was chosen, but it is especially cool that my team members want to be around other highly intelligent people too, which is why we are so particular when it comes to new team members.

There are lots of other pros, like the benefits: 401K 5% match, the stocked fridge, the 100% paid health insurance (for individuals its 100%, i think families pay a little bit), free parking, annual bonuses, good pay, tons of vacation time, and sabbatical after 5 years, etc.

But beyond everything else, I really feel appreciated. I feel like I'm part of the team and I feel like I have a purpose here. That's the biggest pro of all.

Cons

Here's the thing. There really aren't cons unless Capterra isn't the place for you to begin with. Like, if you're the type of person who is more interested in a paycheck than anything else, this isn't the place for you. The money is great, don't get me wrong, but the team members here are passionate, driven, and really into what they do. If you are the type of person who just wants a project and then to shut everyone else out and do your own thing for days on end, then this isn't the place for you. It's a very collaborative environment and we're always communicating and kicking around ideas. We have plenty of time to do our own things, ie. coding with headphones on, but it's all about working as a team.

None, really. It's a great company and things are done well. I wouldn't mind an intranet site linking the HR sites plus a list of all of the benefits. It took me a little while to find out about some of the lesser known benefits, but that's not even a big deal.

Incredible work environment with leadership that encourages employees to excel and grow.

Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA

I worked at Capterra full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was never a dull day and I always looked forward to going to work each morning. Beside the fact that I truly enjoyed the work I was doing within my job description, I was given the freedom to take on whichever additional projects I could dream up and encouraged and helped to achieve them. That ranged from a business theory book club with the exec team, creating and executing random marketing ideas, changing our customer service business practices and even creating a new role that better fit my strengths and starting a new position.

Beyond the business work, it is a comfortable and encouraging work environment. The lack of dress code, flexible hours and unlimited snacks help frame the openness in the office. The fun monthly activities also add a nice twist to keep you on your toes.

Cons

This may be a con that not many can relate to, but light background noise is very distracting for me. Since it is an open office you can hear your coworkers when they are on calls and if I wasn't 100% concentrated, I would get distracted. The goal of the open office is to learn from how your coworkers handle different situations on the phone and it definitely does help with that. On the plus side, when I told a member of the exec team about this, they got me noise cancelling headphones and the problem was solved.

After almost four years at Capterra I learned what most of the amenities were that employees are given, but I don't feel it is always adequately conveyed to new hires. I would recommend making it a more official process so all new hires see how awesome it can be.

This summer's internship, even better than last summer, was so much fun as well as being incredibly educative.

Current Intern - Buyer Adviser in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - Buyer Adviser in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Capterra as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved the work environment-- my coworkers were unbelievably kind and fun to work with. The work itself was also very enjoyable-- I felt as if I were pushing myself in a really good way, constantly learning new ways to improve my performance and the work I was completing.

Cons

There were absolutely no cons to working at Capterra. I would definitely work here again if given the chance.

Nothing!