Captivate Network

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Captivate Network Chief Executive Officer Marc Kidd

Marc Kidd

New CEO needs see the difference between those who work hard and those who hardly work

Marketing (Anonymous) (Current Employee)

ProsOverall good people, overall good work-culture, okay pay, decent benefits

ConsOverall understanding of the 'goal' of the company isn't clear, each department thinks what they do is the main purpose instead of understanding that everyone has a part to play in the overall goal/message of Captivate. There are too many people that half ass it through the work day or call a work day a half of a day. There's too much 'rumored' talk about what's going on with the future of the company. The new CEO needs to make a statement to the company, and soon, before morale falls to an all-time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementCaptivate is great, don't lose sight of what makes it great in this sell-out. Also, management should have a better understanding of those who are putting in real, hard work to make Captivate a great company, and those who are just scrapping to get by.

A career blunder that I bounced back from

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThe base pay was solid.

ConsI was recruited to this company by a recruiter that I trusted and who's associate landed me a great job in the past. I thought I was making a good choice for my next move, but I soon found out I had made a mistake.

The thing I figured out first was that outside of NY or Chicago, no one really ever considered Captivate in their media plan. If there aren't any high-rise buildings, then no one was exposed to the media on a regular basis and no one in the media world cared. Thus it was an impossible sell.

I had a difficult time getting meetings with clients and agencies that I worked with on a daily basis in previous positions much less new business meetings. Although through pure grit and determination, I did land some good ones early on in my employment.

The technology that Captivate uses is over 10 years old with very small screens and has no capability to compete with the proliferation of new mobile technologies. This was mentioned to top management as a concern from the clients/agencies I had met with and it was immediately dismissed by Captivate management including the CEO.

Speaking of management, the newly hired VP in my local office, micromanaged me as if I had never sold media in my life, even though I had almost 10 years of media experience. The ironic part about this is that this particular manager had virtually no experience in DOOH or OOH prior to Captivate and had very few relationships in the industry. I spent the majority of my time dealing with this manager's insecurities and random tasks, which prevented me from accomplishing any meaningful tasks throughout the day.

It is worth noting that for the first 4 weeks of my employment, I did not have any direct in-office management and it was by far my most productive time at Captivate regarding new business meetings and activity.

When I repeatedly voiced concerns over my very uncomfortable daily work situation to top management and HR, I was told to make it work. Every day was more miserable than the last and on day 89, I was let go. Which, in hindsight, was the best thing that ever happened to me because it allowed me to land in my current position where I have been very successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new technology. Acquire companies and assets that will give you a much more comprehensive footprint not only in DOOH but OOH in general.

Get rid of mid-level management (VP's etc in field offices). They are expensive and are a major contributing factor to the immense turnover that Captivate has suffered from for years. Instead, hire experienced self-starters and people that don't need daily supervision. You will save money and cut down on turnover.

Also, pay support staff better and provide better benefits to them. They are the backbone of your daily business and if you don't treat them well, the entire business suffers.

Revolving door!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat research, strong real estate in NY & Chicago.

ConsIf you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all!

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management may be able to establish a "new" culture and bring value to the clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

" Greed is not good"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat product (especially if investment was made to update the technology and add a mobile element)

ConsCaptivate, just bought by a private equity firm who will raise profit by firing employees, moving into cheap offices and downgrading everything in their sight. They are following a short term tactic that any high school graduate can implement but have no desire to strategically grow a business. At Captivate, it is just slash/burn and quickly resell the company. And the hell with people and true growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you -- Greed at the cost of destroying an innovative company and people's lives is never acceptable. It will come back to you.

okay place to work- not inspiring

Sales (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

Prosdecent pay, good clients, nice colleagues who aren't in the area. Some great people in marketing, most people are enthusiastic and positive

Consdon't care about the west coast- no support- CEO thinks he can do it better than his employees, full of himself

Advice to Senior Managementvalue the people working hard

Truly awful work environment

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsYou get a paycheck
    You get health insurance
    You get vacation time

ConsEmployees seem to dislike one another.
    No respect for Senior Management.
    Revenue keeps going down year after year.
    The original holding company dumped the company in 2013 to cut their losses.
    Chief Marketing Officer is more interested in Facebook likes than generating revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new CEO needs to replace the Chief Marketing Officer with someone who is capable of driving sales. The 15 year old technology needs to be updated to compete with other digital media companies.

Company on the decline, but there's hope.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood Work/Life Balance.
    Work at your own pace.
    40 hour work week.
    4 weeks paid vacation.

ConsVery Weak Sales and Marketing. Constant finger-pointing between Depts. Very old-school approaches. No vision.

No appreciation for hard work - monetary or otherwise. No incentive to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in strong, smart, energetic people to run Sales and Marketing Depts and the company could rebound.

Great people, but company has no clear direction.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsMost of the people are great.

ConsPresident is dictator
    Low salary, no career growth, favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up control and let talented people handle the business.

Good Work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork/life balance is good in this company
    Vacation time
    Cool

ConsLack of career growth opportunities.

Good work experience for a while, no room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chelmsford, MA

ProsMostly good coworkers and good company vibe. Good work/life balance, flexible hours and PTO

ConsLower salary than other jobs I have held doing the same work. No room for promotion or growth. Departments communicate poorly with each other. Management does not like to address the faults with company policy or procedures. People shake their heads and nothing ever changes. Extremely high turnover of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward departments other than sales appropriately. Understand why there is high turnover and figure out how to make changes, even if it will rock the boat.

Worked for Captivate Network? Contribute to the Community!