Captivate Network

Marc Kidd

A field techs perspective

Former Employee - Field Tech in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Tech in New York, NY

I worked at Captivate Network as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The experience working with networking equipment.

Cons

A lot of walking from site to site daily.

Higher more field techs.

it was ok, but upper management needs to find a way to make everyone feel happy

Current Employee - Creative in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Creative in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Captivate Network (more than an year)

Pros

time off policies are great, decent training

Cons

leadership, feel like there is not much support

take care of current employees

Good experience in digital out of home.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Captivate Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are okay, great entry level position to learn for Digital Out of Home.

Cons

Depending on management you might not be able to grow within the company.

A career blunder that I bounced back from

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Captivate Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The base pay was solid.

Cons

I was recruited to this company by a recruiter that I trusted and who's associate landed me a great job in the past. I thought I was making a good choice for my next move, but I soon found out I had made a mistake.

The thing I figured out first was that outside of NY or Chicago, no one really ever considered Captivate in their media plan. If there aren't any high-rise buildings, then no one was exposed to the media on a regular basis and no one in the media world cared. Thus it was an impossible sell.

I had a difficult time getting meetings with clients and agencies that I worked with on a daily basis in previous positions much less new business meetings. Although through pure grit and determination, I did land some good ones early on in my employment.

The technology that Captivate uses is over 10 years old with very small screens and has no capability to compete with the proliferation of new mobile technologies. This was mentioned to top management as a concern from the clients/agencies I had met with and it was immediately dismissed by Captivate management including the CEO.

Speaking of management, the newly hired VP in my local office, micromanaged me as if I had never sold media in my life, even though I had almost 10 years of media experience. The ironic part about this is that this particular manager had virtually no experience in DOOH or OOH prior to Captivate and had very few relationships in the industry. I spent the majority of my time dealing with this manager's insecurities and random tasks, which prevented me from accomplishing any meaningful tasks throughout the day.

It is worth noting that for the first 4 weeks of my employment, I did not have any direct in-office management and it was by far my most productive time at Captivate regarding new business meetings and activity.

When I repeatedly voiced concerns over my very uncomfortable daily work situation to top management and HR, I was told to make it work. Every day was more miserable than the last and on day 89, I was let go. Which, in hindsight, was the best thing that ever happened to me because it allowed me to land in my current position where I have been very successful.

Invest in new technology. Acquire companies and assets that will give you a much more comprehensive footprint not only in DOOH but OOH in general.

Get rid of mid-level management (VP's etc in field offices). They are expensive and are a major contributing factor to the immense turnover that Captivate has suffered from for years. Instead, hire experienced self-starters and people that don't need daily supervision. You will save money and cut down on turnover.

Also, pay support staff better and provide better benefits to them. They are the backbone of your daily business and if you don't treat them well, the entire business suffers.

New CEO needs see the difference between those who work hard and those who hardly work

Current Employee - Marketing (Anonymous)
    Current Employee - Marketing (Anonymous)

I have been working at Captivate Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall good people, overall good work-culture, okay pay, decent benefits

Cons

Overall understanding of the 'goal' of the company isn't clear, each department thinks what they do is the main purpose instead of understanding that everyone has a part to play in the overall goal/message of Captivate. There are too many people that half ass it through the work day or call a work day a half of a day. There's too much 'rumored' talk about what's going on with the future of the company. The new CEO needs to make a statement to the company, and soon, before morale falls to an all-time low.

Captivate is great, don't lose sight of what makes it great in this sell-out. Also, management should have a better understanding of those who are putting in real, hard work to make Captivate a great company, and those who are just scrapping to get by.

Revolving door!

I worked at Captivate Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great research, strong real estate in NY & Chicago.

Cons

If you can't say something nice, do not say anything at all!

New management may be able to establish a "new" culture and bring value to the clients.

" Greed is not good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Captivate Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product (especially if investment was made to update the technology and add a mobile element)

Cons

Captivate, just bought by a private equity firm who will raise profit by firing employees, moving into cheap offices and downgrading everything in their sight. They are following a short term tactic that any high school graduate can implement but have no desire to strategically grow a business. At Captivate, it is just slash/burn and quickly resell the company. And the hell with people and true growth.

Shame on you -- Greed at the cost of destroying an innovative company and people's lives is never acceptable. It will come back to you.

okay place to work- not inspiring

Former Employee - Sales in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Burbank, CA

I worked at Captivate Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay, good clients, nice colleagues who aren't in the area. Some great people in marketing, most people are enthusiastic and positive

Cons

don't care about the west coast- no support- CEO thinks he can do it better than his employees, full of himself

value the people working hard

Truly awful work environment

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Captivate Network full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck
    You get health insurance
    You get vacation time

Cons

Employees seem to dislike one another.
    No respect for Senior Management.
    Revenue keeps going down year after year.
    The original holding company dumped the company in 2013 to cut their losses.
    Chief Marketing Officer is more interested in Facebook likes than generating revenue.

The new CEO needs to replace the Chief Marketing Officer with someone who is capable of driving sales. The 15 year old technology needs to be updated to compete with other digital media companies.

Company on the decline, but there's hope.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Captivate Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance.
    Work at your own pace.
    40 hour work week.
    4 weeks paid vacation.

Cons

Very Weak Sales and Marketing. Constant finger-pointing between Depts. Very old-school approaches. No vision.

No appreciation for hard work - monetary or otherwise. No incentive to work hard.

Bring in strong, smart, energetic people to run Sales and Marketing Depts and the company could rebound.