Car Toys

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Daniel Brettler

Fun Place to work great for sales growth!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy flexible Schedule good entry level position

Cons

Poor Training Methods, Management could be better, need more help in the install bay and better communication between sales and installers

The “Ivory Tower” upper management has completely lost touch with its employees.

Current Employee - Underling
    Current Employee - Underling

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Today, their are only a few things left that I can say I enjoy about working at Car Toys. I have fellow employees I will be friends with for years to come. We enjoy our time together both at and away from work. They are good people just trying to make a living like myself and are grateful to have a job.

The wage has dropped dramatically in the last several years but is still decent as is the benefits package. Veteran employees are rewarded with increasing vacation time as well as Car Toys paying a larger percentage of medical premiums.

Work/life balance is good. Most of my fellow employees are parents and we all value the time we have with our families. Management routinely works out issues of needed days/time off for sick kids, family functions and school events.

By the numbers, it is generally a good place to work.

Cons

There has been a consistent and building exodus of talented individuals leaving Car Toys over the last several years and it is destroying a once great company. Employees used to feel they mattered…now, they are treated as expendable. Routine reductions in sales and install commissions, higher and higher sales goals purposely set to avoid management reaching bonus structures and the infestation of the “bean counting” accountants (all of whom have never once spent a day in retail) telling salesman and installers what their time is worth are but a tip of the iceberg.
    The company has lost an immense amount of talent and will eventually run out. Prospective high quality employees don’t apply for open positions as they did in the past and the few individuals that do end up being “warm bodies”. They lack the skills to excel in the service industry and the customer suffers; little to no knowledge of the 12 Volt industry, little to no knowledge of customer service and a prolific lack of professionalism.
    Anyone who steps into a store these days can feel this discontent and lack of professionalism. Just read any review of a Car Toys store on Yelp and you’ll see…It is palpable. The veterans who’ve stayed won’t stay for much longer. The rookies can’t make it because they lack the talent. And the ‘middle of the road’ employee, who can tolerate being paid just barely enough to stay, will be left with the responsibility of running the show…all the while, the customer suffers.
    Am I just ranting?? Maybe…but does upper management take the time to read letters like mine and so many others who feel similarly? Do they actually listen to customers complaints and ask themselves the hard questions? Or do they simply enjoy the luxuries the Ivory Tower provides and are ‘too smart’ to spend time asking those questions with the underlings that actually earn the money that pays their wage??

Ask your employees "What can we do to make Car Toys a 'Better place to work' ?" and LISTEN. Don't threaten their job if they say something you don't like.....encourage it. If you want honesty, you will need to prepare yourself for answers you don't want to hear. Your veterans WANT to stay but if you continue to cut their wages and give them no opportunity to increase their income, they WILL leave. Talented people make companies money. Warm bodies cost you money. Talented people expect to be pushed hard and encourage high standards. Warm bodies expect a paycheck and show up late.

Your customers are just about fed up. Compare and contrast how many complaints you get today vs. five years ago? ten years ago?? twenty years ago and ask yourself if continually cutting spiffs, commissions and bonus' is worth it. Your customer service level is at an all time low, the number of installation related damages and complaints is at an all time high and your talented employees are leaving daily.

I remember something that was told to me years ago and I’m certain millions have spoken it before....and for good reason.

You get what you pay for…..

Like a family

I worked at Car Toys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great benefits, awesome office

Cons

Turnover, always realigning, management often not aware of cause/effects to change

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent family feel environment, Great manager compensation and bonus plans. Good opportunity for advancement based on your results. Very result driven company.

Cons

Family work life balance is hard. Your voice is hard to make it to the decision makers. Your results are not all ways appreciated or undervalued.

Stable job, decent pay, but wayyyy too much stress and no work life balance.

I have been working at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Pay can be pretty decent. Ability to progress through the company is strong. Stable business to work for, won't go under. Decent benefits.

Cons

Company software and computers are outdated making it tough to smoothly help customers, corporate and field positions are disconnected and fight with one another. Work life balance is non-existent especially for salaried positions. High stress levels and extreme pressure to hit all sales goals. Heavy work loads that are unrealistic for one person to complete. Inconsistent store standards from store to store and aren't held accountable to get back to baseline standards. Not enough applicants which causes premature and almost desperate promotions.

Listen to your employees and actually take action on the field workers ideas. These people have the best ideas to help the company and make it better.

Fun environment especially if audio is your passion.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discounts and opportunity for decent pay.

Cons

Scheduling can be stressful and opportunities beyond store level are all in Bellevue.

Strive for the old family culture that CT used to have.

Size does matter, the bigger they got, the less fun it became. Stressful. Never satisfied.

I worked at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Consumer Electronics and Cellular is fun gear. Highly aggressive sales people can make decent money. Installers are the best left in the field and can make good money. Company has several sister's to soften the declining industry of Car Audio.

Cons

Really went from a fun small company to an impersonal corporation. Low pay for a lot of salespeople. Limited advancement even IF you make it into the "good ol boy club." Dated systems, open too many hours and 363 days a year. Not consistent with their policies. Disconnect between corporate and the field. Leadership and employees are fragmented with little "Team Spirit." Everything is priority ONE!

Downhill

I worked at Car Toys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, and cool environment (car audio)

Cons

Pay became less and less over the years. Pay is commission based, but base pay for radio installation decreased significantly and there was no pay for warranty work (even though Car Toys was paid by the manufacturers).

Learn better management, top down, and pay your top people better instead of decreasing pay.

Change is necessary - Listen to the worker bees

I worked at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Small company atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff and co-workers.

Cons

Upper management operates in a bubble. They are not in touch with the people doing the work and do not take their advice to heart and act on it. Executives are stuck in the past way of analyzing data and making decisions. They are reluctant to change the old ways of doing business and to consider new alternatives.
    Management style is top down and dictatorial, with blame quick to be dished out, but guidance and support lacking.

Get in touch with the people closest to the work, listen to their ideas, complaints, and suggestions; take them to heart and make appropriate changes.
    Be open to new ways of doing business.

Fun Company to work for!

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Car Toys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers willing to pitch in when needed, atmosphere can be easygoing, support from some higher level management. Recognition from other departments for assistance. A great appreciation for hard work through company events. Great products and employee discounts.

Cons

No work/ personal balance during busy times. Raises sometimes same across the board, regardless of performance.

Show more appreciation to all employees in all areas of the company. Better understanding of other departments duties and time constraints.