Car Toys

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.7

Daniel Brettler

Fun Place to work great for sales growth!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy flexible Schedule good entry level position

Cons

Poor Training Methods, Management could be better, need more help in the install bay and better communication between sales and installers

Boys will be boys

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Car Toys

Pros

If your a guy in the good ol' boys club, you can do no wrong.

Cons

Sexual harassment/discrimination(definitely for women). First week working there told not talk to HR, that's the easiest way to be out the door. Does not follow employee handbook. If your the accuser, you will be subjected to unprofessional and apathetic HR reps. They will not protect your rights and will give the names of who said what to the accused or possible witnesses. It will take less than 24 hours to determine there is no evidence to substantiate your claims. Although, confirming that the store manager was the culprit behind the code used to check out "hot women",call on line six, that is not grounds for termination. Just a slap on the wrist, because when your in the good ol' boys club, boys will be boys. One of the many other claims, this one was the only one they could confirm. After you complain to HR expect retaliation. You will be overworked and be asked to perform deceptive practices in order to hit goal. You literally have to have a 2k sales day in order to break even. To start making money you have to make a 3k sale to break even and make $50. Upper management encourages employees to take fraudulent cell phone transactions to hit wireless goals. Whether it is a known fraud or not, we are told to load up the account with the highest paying spiff such as jump and unlimited data. Very rare you have a tech who is not a prima donna. Install manager is a drug addict, but who isn't in car toys. It's legal in colorado, so why not smoke on the job and screw up on someone's car? If this job sounds right for you, be prepared to deal with the biggest a**holes from your coworkers all the way up to corporate.

Drop dead

Unappreciated. Never enough, always asked for more.

I have been working at Car Toys (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money can be good at management level. Basic health insurance. Always room for promotions since the company has such a massive turn over.

Cons

I often feel married to Car Toys instead of my wife. Many of the employees in mgmt are overworked. 60 hours is an average week, and up to 70-75 during the holidays or when other managers are on vacation. Everyday feels like a fire drill always being asked for more. A great performance is often followed up by a request for more. It's difficult to even enjoy a well earned day off as it's common to be contacted multiple times or just the pressure of how well the store performs while you are gone. The goals continue to grow and I constantly watch the quality of installations suffer for purpose of speed to get onto the next car for volume to hit that goal. Quality of service of the job in the installation bay and on the sales floor are also often subpar due to running the store so thin on hourly employees. No paid holidays. In addition to not being paid, you get the pleasure of working them at your standard everyday wage. When major retailers are closed such as Costco and Best Buy on holidays like New Years, and Easter it would be greatly appreciated and go a long way with your staff to follow suit.

I'd like just once to be asked how are we doing? A few minor changes could really make this a great place to work and would make your employees quality of life so much better.

The “Ivory Tower” upper management has completely lost touch with its employees.

Current Employee - Underling
    Current Employee - Underling

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Today, their are only a few things left that I can say I enjoy about working at Car Toys. I have fellow employees I will be friends with for years to come. We enjoy our time together both at and away from work. They are good people just trying to make a living like myself and are grateful to have a job.

The wage has dropped dramatically in the last several years but is still decent as is the benefits package. Veteran employees are rewarded with increasing vacation time as well as Car Toys paying a larger percentage of medical premiums.

Work/life balance is good. Most of my fellow employees are parents and we all value the time we have with our families. Management routinely works out issues of needed days/time off for sick kids, family functions and school events.

By the numbers, it is generally a good place to work.

Cons

There has been a consistent and building exodus of talented individuals leaving Car Toys over the last several years and it is destroying a once great company. Employees used to feel they mattered…now, they are treated as expendable. Routine reductions in sales and install commissions, higher and higher sales goals purposely set to avoid management reaching bonus structures and the infestation of the “bean counting” accountants (all of whom have never once spent a day in retail) telling salesman and installers what their time is worth are but a tip of the iceberg.
    The company has lost an immense amount of talent and will eventually run out. Prospective high quality employees don’t apply for open positions as they did in the past and the few individuals that do end up being “warm bodies”. They lack the skills to excel in the service industry and the customer suffers; little to no knowledge of the 12 Volt industry, little to no knowledge of customer service and a prolific lack of professionalism.
    Anyone who steps into a store these days can feel this discontent and lack of professionalism. Just read any review of a Car Toys store on Yelp and you’ll see…It is palpable. The veterans who’ve stayed won’t stay for much longer. The rookies can’t make it because they lack the talent. And the ‘middle of the road’ employee, who can tolerate being paid just barely enough to stay, will be left with the responsibility of running the show…all the while, the customer suffers.
    Am I just ranting?? Maybe…but does upper management take the time to read letters like mine and so many others who feel similarly? Do they actually listen to customers complaints and ask themselves the hard questions? Or do they simply enjoy the luxuries the Ivory Tower provides and are ‘too smart’ to spend time asking those questions with the underlings that actually earn the money that pays their wage??

Ask your employees "What can we do to make Car Toys a 'Better place to work' ?" and LISTEN. Don't threaten their job if they say something you don't like.....encourage it. If you want honesty, you will need to prepare yourself for answers you don't want to hear. Your veterans WANT to stay but if you continue to cut their wages and give them no opportunity to increase their income, they WILL leave. Talented people make companies money. Warm bodies cost you money. Talented people expect to be pushed hard and encourage high standards. Warm bodies expect a paycheck and show up late.

Your customers are just about fed up. Compare and contrast how many complaints you get today vs. five years ago? ten years ago?? twenty years ago and ask yourself if continually cutting spiffs, commissions and bonus' is worth it. Your customer service level is at an all time low, the number of installation related damages and complaints is at an all time high and your talented employees are leaving daily.

I remember something that was told to me years ago and I’m certain millions have spoken it before....and for good reason.

You get what you pay for…..

Like a family

I worked at Car Toys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, great benefits, awesome office

Cons

Turnover, always realigning, management often not aware of cause/effects to change

Stable job, decent pay, but wayyyy too much stress and no work life balance.

I have been working at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Pay can be pretty decent. Ability to progress through the company is strong. Stable business to work for, won't go under. Decent benefits.

Cons

Company software and computers are outdated making it tough to smoothly help customers, corporate and field positions are disconnected and fight with one another. Work life balance is non-existent especially for salaried positions. High stress levels and extreme pressure to hit all sales goals. Heavy work loads that are unrealistic for one person to complete. Inconsistent store standards from store to store and aren't held accountable to get back to baseline standards. Not enough applicants which causes premature and almost desperate promotions.

Listen to your employees and actually take action on the field workers ideas. These people have the best ideas to help the company and make it better.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent family feel environment, Great manager compensation and bonus plans. Good opportunity for advancement based on your results. Very result driven company.

Cons

Family work life balance is hard. Your voice is hard to make it to the decision makers. Your results are not all ways appreciated or undervalued.

Fun environment especially if audio is your passion.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Car Toys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts and opportunity for decent pay.

Cons

Scheduling can be stressful and opportunities beyond store level are all in Bellevue.

Strive for the old family culture that CT used to have.

Size does matter, the bigger they got, the less fun it became. Stressful. Never satisfied.

I worked at Car Toys full-time

Pros

Consumer Electronics and Cellular is fun gear. Highly aggressive sales people can make decent money. Installers are the best left in the field and can make good money. Company has several sister's to soften the declining industry of Car Audio.

Cons

Really went from a fun small company to an impersonal corporation. Low pay for a lot of salespeople. Limited advancement even IF you make it into the "good ol boy club." Dated systems, open too many hours and 363 days a year. Not consistent with their policies. Disconnect between corporate and the field. Leadership and employees are fragmented with little "Team Spirit." Everything is priority ONE!

Downhill

I worked at Car Toys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, and cool environment (car audio)

Cons

Pay became less and less over the years. Pay is commission based, but base pay for radio installation decreased significantly and there was no pay for warranty work (even though Car Toys was paid by the manufacturers).

Learn better management, top down, and pay your top people better instead of decreasing pay.