CarMax

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard

Tom Folliard

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have sold over a 1000 cars for Carmax in my six years of working there and was considered one of the best. I took the job while I was in college and with their help got my degree while working part time. The job paid so well that I decided to go full time after graduation. You will feel proud of what sell and how you sell it. You will also be amazed at how dirty other car dealerships can be and will grow to respect Carmax's best practices even more.
I eventually decided to move closer to home and therefore had to leave the company because they didn't have a location in the area in which I wanted to live. If they do come back to my region I will certainly join the team again. The part time job is the best, full time wears you out because of all down time. Get a job there, you will not regret it. You are as successful as you want to be and they certainly give you plenty of opportunity. This is the easiest job in the world for the pay.

ConsRecently Carmax has started to attempt develop everyone into a World Class Sales associate, and the training never stops. They do this because they hire almost anyone. The bummer is not everyone needs to be trained day in and day out. Their business model is so easy to master and the process of selling a car is so repetitive I find the training counterproductive.
It is easy to get promoted into management, but that is as far as you most likely will go, successful managers with 12 plus years experience are still waiting to get their own GM positions and won't because they primarily hire that position from the outside. Get comfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop those that close under 10%, but if a guy has a lifetime close rate of 15% don't manage them the same as the guy closing at 6%. Prior to 2009 you did this, I recommend you mix the old and the new. Empower those that are successful so that others have something to strive for.

Great Company

Inventory Associate (Former Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

I worked at CarMax

ProsWell Carmax is a good company, who treats their employees very well. My Carmax, spoiled us on weekends with catered lunch. If your a highschool student or college student, its is a great job.

ConsJob is rather repetitive at times, low pay if you have a family, or want to live on your own. The works are spread out, so its hard to find help when you need it from team members. Management barks orders of things to do, and it presents stress, and also you have a hard time completing a task.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive one task at a time, hire more people to make the work run more smoothly.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings in Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees.