CarMax

CarMax Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard

Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding(in 22 reviews)

• Good (not great) entry-level sales experience for part-time, short-term(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle(in 47 reviews)

• Inconsistent work schedules and work-life balance from store to store(in 20 reviews)

Buyer

Buyer (Former Employee) Buena Park, CA

Prosflexible with schedules and time offs

Consworking weekends and under paid

Advice to Senior Managementtreat associates better and need to hire better senior management

Part time Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsFor a part time job, the money was great.

ConsCustomers treat like a typical used car sales man and expect that you can change the price for them.
    The customers are the luck of the draw. Some customers are ready with the car they want and ready for you to sell it to them, others had no intention of buying a car in the next 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI did not have any issues with management, but again I was part time. I might feel different if I was pulling those 60 and 70 hour work weeks.

Growing Pains!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsPay and benefits with the stock option, it's great! The culture is decent and the environment can be amazing when they allow it to be that way!

ConsA growing company likes to know how business is gauged and the way they do it is to micro manage. Micro managing can suck all the fun out of a company with tremendous potential and it still doesn't get you the results you're so badly trying to manipulate people to produce.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo upper level management: stop focusing so much on numbers that are not really KEY. Embrace your own culture of fun and just remind your sales team of the things that work and allow them to work. If you look, you'll find that customers appreciate a fun environment rather than a rigid pressure cooker that you're moving toward. Remember, the more fun you make and the more consultants you can get to work for free/"commission" and you'll get your product sold. Duh.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Service Manager (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsPositive coworkers, positive atmosphere with others who want to succeed. Good training program, with online classes. Overall a good place to work.

ConsStressful Environment, the typical drive to increase profitability is everywhere. The customers however, are not the same everywhere you go. When dealing with peoples cars, expectations of customers is high and this creates a high stress atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales consultants over-sell the refurbished used cars and create expectations that the service dept. has to try and accommodate. Sales consultants should be realistic when selling the vehicles.

Productive and flexible schedule.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsPart time available. Lots of customer traffic. Good management.

ConsQuality of product has reduced.
    Horrible service department.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on other departments that help drive sales and better customer service.

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsVery fair company to work for. You don't have to haggle with customers.

ConsService department is closed on weekends. Sometimes you need a service tech to fix something to close a deal. Otherwise the customer walks or you have to wait til monday and hope they can fix it then.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the service center on weekends!

Good Experience as a Consultant, a few changes would make this job perfect. great company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) East Haven, CT

ProsGreat team environment, always learning something new, Sales Managers care about your success. Coworkers very helpful and friendly. shows employee apprciation with occasional free breakfast and lunches

ConsAs a Sales Consultant your pay is unpredictable. your pay is usually determined by how well your particular market is doing, and it gets tough to count on the pay as reliable income. It seems like management is always trying to give you busy work in down time even though when all is said and done, each consultant works for themselves as there is no base pay and all the money you make is money you earn.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should pay Consultants hourly pay plus comission. It will allow management to justify the time it takes to do constant performance reviews, call reviews, role plays, etc. . The company should do more to keep consultants with the company long term to keep from having to train a whole set of new Consultants every few months, and to help the existing Consultants to get better resulting in better performance per location

Good Place to work

Consultant (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsTraining, not stressful, you can make money

Cons100% com, unstable pay and hours

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of unethical workers quicker

Awesome!

ProsGreat at everything they do!

ConsThere is nothing to improve!

Recruiting

Recruiter (Current Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsEmployee relations and Comfortable enviornment

ConsPay is the highest that it could be

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on the straight and narrow

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!