CarMax

CarMax Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard

Tom Folliard

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Good (not great) entry-level sales experience for part-time, short-term"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle"
    in 44 reviews
  • "Inconsistent work schedules and work-life balance from store to store"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome!

ProsGreat at everything they do!

ConsThere is nothing to improve!

Great company to work for!

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

Prossupportive community, potential to make great money, get to talk with all different types of people everyday, something different everyday, great benefits

Consnot very many, other than sales just really isn't for me. They have amazing benefits though and everyone that works there is very supportive and helpful.

Sales manager

ProsContinuous learning, great job with the feedback and the willingness to help all associates regardless of the team they are on

ConsRetail hours can be difficult to schedule family time when a spouse works normal business hours. There are no other cons

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company I have ever worked for!!!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture is incredible and everyday is better then the day before. The company truly values your opinion and the developmental and promotional opportunities are incredible. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a career and not a job. The training is incredible!

ConsWhen it is this good it is hard to find the bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you are doing.

Great company, products, nice benefits package

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsLots of opportunity if you don't expect everything handed to you on a silver platter AND don't expect it overnight. On-going training to enhance your business. We work hard and play hard. Love company integrity and philosophy. Great benefits. Super atmosphere. Awesome team. Customer service centered business.

ConsWorking lots of evenings and weekends, but understand necessity due to customer traffic. I knew schedule going in. Company does not reimburse for cell phone (a must for biz) and requires employees to purchase all of their own uniforms.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales Managers work long hours and are assigned a team of consultants to lead. I believe there should be more Sales Managers in the store to alleviate heavy schedule and allow more time for development of associates. I fear burnout for SM's causing company to lose some really great leaders. Also feel commission compensation should be increased across the board for all consultants. It's time!

This is a great company to work for one of fortunes top 100 company's to work for

ProsWork life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding

ConsThere are really no cons to Carmax this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for trust me you will love it

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Incredible culture.

ProsThe management really cares about associate development. As much effort and interest as you put into moving positions or learning more, they will receive and give right back to you. They offer classes in the "College of Continuous Learning" on company time, have awesome time away policy and a great fitness center. It is such a great environment to work in.

ConsLike with anywhere, there are politics to work around, but it is all about knowing how to work them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be a bit more transparent or else hide your "close-door meetings" better. The culture is not made to support a lot of sneaking around.

Exceptional Company

Double Diamond Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCarMax is a company that cares about the Growth of associates. It's a company that believe Family comes first. ( Internal & External )

ConsClosing everyday at 8:00 pm

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe think about having 10 / 15 Mentor that just go around assisting in Opening New Location... Ok !! I was a Mentor there for 8 years... : ) :)

Good Company

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsIf you like to sell Cars, this is a good place.

ConsNothing I can think about.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Purchasing

ProsGreat company, tuned in with the employee

ConsRetail hours and the drive into the location in traffic

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's all good!

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CarMax CEO Tom Folliard. All 637 reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees.