CarMax Reviews

Reset
3.4
CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager (in 28 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance in IT is significantly oversold (in 25 reviews)

• actions of others like sales consultants will sometimes fall on you although you had nothing to do with it (in 52 reviews)

1,108 Employee Reviews

1. "Voted 100 best companies to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

Pros

The people. Great training program. Great work life balance.

Cons

I didn't like how the store leadership was structured. How a Business Office Manager and Purchasing Manager are higher up (Senior Managers) then other managers when they manage less peolpe and less processes. They are nothing more then glorified department managers. The Sales Managers are a little under appreciated. They are expected to know ALL aspects of the business. The only Senior Managers should be the Location General Manager, Operations Manager and Asst. Location Manager.

Advice to Management

Restructure store leadership. This will ensure better partnering and communication. Trust me on this one having B.O. managers and P.M. as senior managers hinder these two badly. Be more consistant with H.R. desicions. I have seen people get fired for something and another person get moved to another department for doing the same thing. This does not look good and lowers morale.

2. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Buyer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Buyer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Everyone seems genuinely happy to be there and the company really goes out of it's way to take care of it's people.

Cons

Slightly more than most retail environments the business seems to swing very quickly with the economy.

Advice to Management

Do not sacrifice standards or the investments you put into your employees as the business continues to grow.

3. Good place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Part time car sales are nearly non existant in this area, but CarMax allows me to work only evenings and weekends.

Cons

Some shady sales people will take half of deals from you, and some others will flat out try to steal entire deals from you! You will occasionally open up a car to sell it and find that the detailers haven't bothered to vacumm up the cracker crumbs from the previous owner's children under the seats. You will also find that the system changes, or the corporate rules have changed without any sort of notice.

Advice to Management

Be a little more involved in the day to day goings on with the sales people. The hands off approach leaves too much wiggle room for cliques to form.

Carmax IS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK! It is also a GREAT PLACE TO BUY A CAR!!!!

Current Employee - Buyer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Buyer in Knoxville, TN

Pros

A great place to work, I hope I can continue on for a long time. I really like the culture at Carmax. I appreciate the compensation and value the training. I have enormous faith in Carmax. I enjoy working with my coworkers and supervisors and feel valued at work. I also value my coworkers. I love my job.

Cons

Worried about job stability. With the present day market I am fearful of the stability of my job, others are as well. Other than that there are really no downsides to working at Carmax. IT is a great place to work. There are many challenges and many opportunities.

Advice to Management

I would like to be promoted. I do think that working toward promotion should be a stronger desire.

6. Great place to work

Former Employee - Service Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Service Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

1)Benefits 2) Paid Vacation 3)Personal day 4)sick pay 5 )Great team enviornment

Cons

Long hours, ok pay but low as far is industry is concerned fort a Service Writer. Alot of policies that arent strictly enforced but if you break one, bye bye. Depending on managment, they are very flexiable with attendance.

Advice to Management

Have real proof of a violation before you just chain fire people.

7. Carmax

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great advancement opportunity. Good salary. Some of the benefits are great, they have tuition reimbursement for full time employees. Air conditioned work place.

Cons

Sometimes they don't follow ASE requirements for advancement. Drug tests are only done when you apply, after that who knows?

Advice to Management

Management should tighten ASE requirements for advancements. Some people don't deserve promotions but they do get. Monthly random drug test.

8. Good Place

Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Laurel, MD

Pros

the benefits and schedule are great

Cons

some managers had issues effectively coordinating schedule

Advice to Management

Low level management needs development

9. Great Place

Current Employee - Buyer In Training in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Buyer In Training in Gastonia, NC

Pros

Allows attonomy, long-term growth opportunities

Cons

Standing outside alot, retail hours

Advice to Management

Keep a smile on your face and keep your head up

Not exhausting nor physically demanding a bit mentally but overall easy job.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Very flexible with your schedule and will make up in monthly income what several FT jobs bring in. Wake up later than most!

Cons

A bit stressful when deals fall especially when many hours are spent working on it. Difficult to work on Saturdays while everyone is bbq

Advice to Management

Great overall company definately need a better voice of internal customers on how to change certain aspects of the everyday work area.

Its a fast paced environment that can be very rewarding

Current Employee - Business Office Associate in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Office Associate in Augusta, GA

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at CarMax is the ability for career advancement and growth the unlimited ability to transfer within the company.

Cons

It is set similar to a retail store so there can be a time where you work very long hours and work on most weekends and holiday

Showing 1,108 of 1,114 reviews