CarMax Reviews

Reset
3.4
CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager (in 28 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance in IT is significantly oversold (in 25 reviews)

• actions of others like sales consultants will sometimes fall on you although you had nothing to do with it (in 52 reviews)

1,113 Employee Reviews

CarMax overpriced unflated quality slight of hand

Former Employee - Buyer In Training in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Buyer In Training in Orlando, FL

Pros

strong company, should be here thru recession

Cons

attitudes, low pay, constant threats about being let go, quality is inferior and the reconditioning process is non existant

Advice to Management

practice what you preach and put yourself in plae of the lower workers who work hard to keedp up the supposed good image

I hate this Job

Current Employee - Detail in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Detail in Irving, TX

Pros

Fun Environment. Straight forward sales process. Good traffic, Good benefits. Actually feel like the company cares for its employees well being. Selection of products to sell is very good

Cons

Hours required due to being straight commission sales. Micro managed and too report oriented. No real effort to become a more paper free company. I worked in sales an it not great at all,if you want to make a lot of money you have to stay all day an work ever sat . I moved to detailer an its worst then sale more work and it hard to make money

Advice to Management

slight pay raise per vehicle sale to catch up with inflation since 1995. Times have changed and the company has done well keeping up with technology but impovement could be made in partnerships with additional insurance and lending companies.

Tom Folliard was promoted through the buying side of Carmax not the selling side, and it shows.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Norcross, GA

Pros

The best reason to work for Carmax is that if you are tired of lying to and stabbing customers in the back, pretending that you are going to talk to a manager when you are not, being ripped off by your sales managers and finance managers, and so on.; then you will enjoy the no haggle, no hassle approach of Carmax. Carmax considers itself a low pressure sales environment, as opposed to no pressure or high pressure. You will pay a price however in that Carmax sales consultants earn far less money than their counterparts at the traditional car dealerships.

Cons

Sales consultants are paid a flat commission which has not risen in over ten years. At $150 per car, imagine how many cars a salesperson would have to sell month in and month out to support a family. Turnover is continuous. Also, advancement is virtually non-existent. Carmax hires and promotes friends for upper management positions. Some sales managers have been waiting for years to be promoted while others who have never sold cars before are immediately thrown into assistant store manager and location general manager positions. The benefits, which were too expensive and too limited to begin with, are now being slashed as sales drop dramatically under the current ecomomic downturn.

Advice to Management

Senior managers spend their days looking over their shoulders and covering their behinds. Their jobs are more and more in jeopardy every month. Because of their lack of sales experience they must come up with other ways to justify their positions. My advice would be to retire and allow responsible and successful sales people to manage sales people. Do the right thing. I realize that you are trying to provide for your families, but many more other families are being destroyed by your incompetence.

Stay away from the business office and you should be fine

Current Employee - Business Office Administrator in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Business Office Administrator in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

Use to be a great placed to work Co-workers are nice people CarMax will be around for a long time Stock is shooting through the roof. Very profitable

Cons

I am a long time Business Office Associate at the location in Kennesaw GA. We are highly underpaid. BOAS start out at $10/hour. We are the last associates that leave at night and work most weekends. We have a lot of late nights for low pay. Mgmt is not great. They are sickly sweet fake to your face. As soon as someone leaves after talking to them, they immediately turn to someone else and starts saying horrible things about the associate behind their back. They shows up late constantly, but if your 10 minutes late, they will say something about it. They are rarely there on weekends. The regional mgmt is just as bad. When our hours are cut, the managers still don't step up to help us out while we are so shorthanded! They use any excuse to get out of the office and have a meeting with someone else, which normally entails talking bad about someone behind their back and making fun and laughing at them..... Please, if you are interested in CarMax, stay out of the business office. All leadership in this department is horrible CarMax always ends up on Fortune's Top 100 places to work? CarMax chooses who receives the surveys. I wouldn't have even thought that would be allowed, but i guess it is. Not the most credible survey if you ask me...

Advice to Management

Treat your associates with respect

Terrible place

Former Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Its great you get to buy wholesale cars on the cheap. They offer decent medical benefits. Don't need to be very bright to work there. So that's a plus.

Cons

Upper Management has a complex. When you buy those wholesale cars, you MUST pay Carmax a profit of at least $1000 . Carmax touts the Best 100 places to work, but it was like hell on earth.

Advice to Management

Try practicing what you preach in "teamwork". Relax the "efficiency" guidelines. Stop trying to McDonaldize every process. Its NOT Toyota. Not even close.

Better than flipping Burgers I guess

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Columbus, OH

Pros

401k, sales staff are good people

Cons

Micro Managing, treat you like morons, management not good, promoted when economy was good and expanded to fast. Now we are stuck with them. 7.75 and hour. Long shifts evening and weekend hours

Advice to Management

You say you care about employees prove some time.

KMX=:o(

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Riverside, CA

Pros

Flexibility of hours IF you work part time.

Cons

Compensation has not changed in 10 years. No room for advancement in the company.

Advice to Management

Quit

I Quit After 2 Months

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

- Clean working environment - Health Insurance (My cost single person coverage $200/mo) - Casual Uniform (corp polo shirt, shorts or slacks, tennis shoes)

Cons

My Opinion: CarMax = Micro-Managed + Stressful +TERRIBLE PAY (low commission and not enough customers). Corp is very controlling. You have to memorize about 60 short scripts you must use word for word. You're quizzed and scolded daily. It seems most customers are poverty level to low income with bad credit. CarMax claims to be "low pressure," but they are HIGH PRESSURE on both salespeople and customers. I did sell some cars, but after 2 months, I turned in my 2 week notice. I'm glad I did. My Advice: If you're thinking car sales, why deal in overpriced USED CARS? Get more money, and probably treated better, at any decent NEW CAR authorized dealership.

Advice to Management

Get smarter Sales Mgrs. Hire EXPERIENCED auto sales people. Give sales people the RESPECT and SPACE to professionally sell cars. ... When a salesperson sells a high profit $40,000 car plus high-interest CarMax Financing, you should pay more than $150 commission!

Managment is horrible. From LGM to the rest os the Sales Managers (only one or two are really helpful)

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Miami, FL

Pros

If you work hard you really make a decent money.

Cons

Managment is very bad.From LGM, some buyers and most of the Sales Managers the make you feel like you are in jail.Every meeting is a nightmare, instead of giving you a good feedback because your performance the treat you like you are last person that makes the company be in good standing.And at the end of any meeting they remind you that you will became a customer at any time.....very sad place to work!

Advice to Management

A good leader is the one who treat subordinates as a human being not like criminals!

The rudeness and arrogance by other Buyers was demoralizing

Current Employee - Buyer In Training in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer In Training in Irvine, CA

Pros

The company has many positive aspects, yet working there is great if you are a part of the rat pack.

Cons

When working as a Buyer, I knew I was new at the job, yet was surprised over the arrogance and rudeness of other Buyers. The company promotes bad behavior and back stabbing.

Advice to Management

First of all, fire some of your Buyers, especially that young guy who is rude to everyone, not only employees.

Showing 1,113 of 1,119 reviews