CarMax Reviews

Reset
3.5
CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager (in 28 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance in IT is significantly oversold (in 25 reviews)

• actions of others like sales consultants will sometimes fall on you although you had nothing to do with it (in 52 reviews)

1,014 Employee Reviews

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very flexible schedule
    -Had decent pay, HAD
    -Superficially interested in employee opinion and we'll being

Cons

-pay
    -# of hours required to make reasonable pay
    -constant pointless training
    -dropping quality standards
    -benefits

Advice to Management

-reduce sales staff back to reasonable level
    -re-affirm quality standards
    -reduce training to weekly or better yet monthly, meaningful meetings

2. Buyer

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Few Pros
    job security
    training; (you don't have to know anything about cars)
    For the most part they conduct honest business.

Cons

Company makes hand over fist money but benefits are reduced to increase profits and stock share value. Medical becomes worse and more expensive every year. Time off policy gets worse and more restrictive each year.

Schedule is terrible. work weekends and odd hours. Your life is pass by too fast before you working here.

Managers are prejudice and incompetent and higher ups do not do much about it even when its brought to their attention.

Pay is pretty low when compared to the rest of the industry. Carmax took advantage of the market crash and lowered pay, and has not raised it back up since. They do not hire quality people anymore and lately have been hiring people with no experience. This enables them to pay low salaries but reduces the quality of service, environment, and managers. You will have to work/train alongside people with less education and experience while being paid the same or less. Carmax does not value education and believes that every employee is easily replaceable.

Very high employee turn over rate. For the 3 years i worked there, 40-50% of the 250 employees left due to frustration with the company and better job opportunities in the same industry.
    Very hard to get promoted; Lots of politics and favoritism. Company culture fosters this behavior.
    They claim to provide employees with a platform to voice their opinions , but then scold them later for speaking up.

Advice to Management

Less training on a computer and more in person training for managers.
    Improve the quality of people you hire and value a persons education/ experience. Use it to your advantage while paying them fairly.
    Listen to your employees and try to understand their concerns without repercussions for them.
    Share the companies success with your employees as they are the ones who make it possible. Loose the 'everyone is replaceable attitude'.

3. Most demoralizing experience ever

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll see the upside to every other place you ever have or will work.

Cons

Untrained managers who are incapable of offering guidance or leadership. They're idea of helping you is to provide "feedback" on every little thing by cutting you down. They take one example out of context and berate you about it. The way you speak, an idea you presented, the way you give a presentation, the way you approach a task. Every level and position is tied to a competency that tells you how to behave yet senior managers don't hold themselves to those standards. Its' subjective. There's a policy about treating others with respect. What a joke. You must fit the robotic standard. It's not wonder so many people there are being medicated for assorted emotional and stress related issues. If you have any self respect, don't work here. If you have any desire to advance your career, don't work here.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Practice what you preach. Invest in technology. Invest in your people (really). Ditch the demoralizing negativity as a way to create continuous improvement. Look in the mirror.

5. Bad company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC

I worked at CarMax (Less than a year)

Pros

The associates and maybe the free food IF we make numbers.

Cons

This company is a joke. Managers are the biggest two faced people I'd ever met. Promise you this promise you that and use you like it ain't nothing. Not to mention you have mess ups that don't know what they are doing on the job itself and then that's why people quit and because they are tired of being not rewarded. Take your associates out more than once a quarter , feed them more , let them get into stretch roles for people who WANT to move up!! Maybe you won't have to have job fairs for the whole dang store all the time.

Advice to Management

Promote associates who want to move up not your favorites.

company not good

Current Employee - Detailer in Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Detailer in Davie, FL

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Pros is you get paid even when no work

Cons

Management is not good.the favor other employees.I had problem with an employee and nothing was done.I had to step down from a position cause they couldn't work with me on a schedule working during the day as a prepper,now I feel I'm getting pushed to the side and ignored about getting position back.I shouldn't have to fight for my position back.

Advice to Management

I think management needs to be better.supervisors and manager are hard to find half the time.and should treat employees better

More like a cult

I worked at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get along with your coworkers because they are suffering with you, you have a lot of events where there is free food

Cons

So unprofessional, they promote people with terrible attitudes to managers. If you are a good and hard worker it is against you, because people who don't do good work seem to be the ones they like the most. Sales managers are terrible, they play favorites and if you are on their bad side, they will invent something to report and you will be fired while people who actually do bad things remain employed and sometimes those people are the managers themselves. There is very low comission for Sales with no base salary to support. Low pay everywhere except managment and zero work life balance unless you are a manager. They expect you to drink the cool aid, and if you don't good luck moving up, they will make it impossible until you want to quit or get fired.

Advice to Management

My advice would be fire yourselves and start over

8. Sales

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

You get to wear shorts and a polo to work

Cons

No local advertising and no access to the cars for customers unless they meet with a sales consultant. This place does things way differnt and people don't like. Store has over 20 sales people and averages 110 cars a month. Position is solely salary based so you end up making less than minimum wage. You also get 4 weekends off a year.

Sounded good, started good, but advertise themselves better than what you'll really get

Former Employee - Day/Night Production Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Day/Night Production Technician in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good low cost insurance, constant work flow, as many hours as you want

Cons

Unfriendly fellow technicians at my former location, didn't see any chance of improving harassment at work thanks to me having mild Cerebral Palsy (very unprofessional), ultimately driving me off. Told upon hiring after I graduated vocational schooling I would receive 12 mo OJT, I only received shy of 3 mo, of which my "mentor" did little to no teaching, then was rushed into flagging instead of hourly pay. Quickly felt after just 10 months of employment the pay wasn't worth everything I had to put up with even on a personal level. Not something anyone should have to accept.

Advice to Management

Create a Harassment hotline of some sort to stay anonymous, giving the employees a sense of comfortability. Strive for a more professional environment. It's no secret a thick skin is required in this line of work often, however what I endured for as long as I did was too far. Constant bullying as an adult because employees are allowed to act as school age children.

10. great benefits

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Great 401k. Fantastic stock options. Management treats you like an actual human being. They care more about our customers than making the sales

Cons

working on comission is not always steady income. The hours are long. In order to make sales you have to come in on your off days.

Advice to Management

No comments or complaints. I love working for this company. They care about the best interests of their employees and customers.

sales

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Frederick, MD

I worked at CarMax

Pros

not many pros. lied to me about my pay. No hourly. Nice coworkers.

Cons

No hourly pay for sales. Comisson only.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing so much.

Showing 1,014 of 1,019 reviews