CarMax

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager (in 28 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • As a full time sales consultant there is absolutely no work life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic company exceptional training and development opportunities. Great corporate culture that promotes integrity

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best opportunity I have had in a very long career to learn "What good looks like". You will compare all of your future companies to CarMax because it sets the gold standard for how employees should be treated with respect.

Cons

Few people are ever satisfied with the amount of money they earn, CarMax is no exception.

Top 100 companies for a reason!

Current Employee - Senior Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Incredible company to work, their focus is around the employee and this helps to drive the culture of a great company. I highly recommend CarMax as a career; it's one of the funniest places I've ever worked and I can honestly
    call many of my coworkers some of my closest fiends.

Cons

None, I'm very happy with the company and the direction management is leading us.

I appreciate the open door policy and that my opinion matters, thank you.

It was ok

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at CarMax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work there is that you get paid on commision which means you get what you give

Cons

Long hours are a con also the sales atmosphere isn't for everyone also there's high turnover rates there at carmax so you have to take that into account

Talk to employees more

Very demanding with inadequate play

Former Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great principles and excellent benefits with a fun and friendly work environment.

Cons

Inconsistent leadership and inadequate pay for the work required. Some of the policies are miniscule and seemingly in place as a tool for termination only, not company improvement.

Sales consultant

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Not any structure, good way to move up

Cons

Work all the time, there is not any stability with money or time, they think anyone can do it

Solid structure and team environment

Current Employee - Senior Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CarMax has continuously tried to improve themselves. The company management is open to feedback from the line level associates. The training programs and focus are top notch and are geared towards growing and developing the talented team members. The best thing working at CarMax was the work life balance if you are a Manager. They have a "Time Away" policy that is very flexible.

Cons

You can cap out in compensation and obtaining a promotion can be difficult if you are not able to relocate. You can be branded at CarMax as "not a growth candidate" making it near impossible to grow your carrer. CarMax has become extremely process driven to the point that any deviation from the process is highly frowned upon and I feel this decreased the associates ability to make decisions.

My favorite job!! Inventory Associate

I worked at CarMax

Pros

I love this place! Friendly, comfortable atmosphere. For the most part, all departments are laid back and chill. As long as you take the job seriously and do what you need to do and work hard, you will succeed. I have had a lot of jobs that I hated waking up to, but I cant wait to start every morning at Carmax.

Cons

Wish they would pay inventory more. We do all the physical work there in all types of environments and do deserve better compensation.

Management is awesome!!!

Sales Consultant - Part time

I worked at CarMax

Pros

Not as many meetings and huddles. Sales are whatever, its DIY kind of ordial

Cons

Company pay sucks maybe you should pay your employees more so that they can be actually productive.

Great place to work! Work load larger than salary.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Friendly work atmosphere and truly a work place with fellow associates who care about quality of work.

Cons

Work load for middle management to high for the amount paid. Sr. Managers are paid a lot more than entry or middle management, and the quality of Sr. Management work at times makes the salary difference between levels hard to understand.

Pay the entry and middle management more. You will get better quality work from them if you do.

The company

Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Oak Lawn, IL
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Oak Lawn, IL

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a very diverse atmosphere, flexible working schedules (retail hours), knowledgeable about the fair market value of vehicles, informative about vehicles, good incentive programs, and 100 plus stores if you wanted to relocate.

Cons

Promotions are very, very, very, very, difficult.

To many insecure managers but if you get with the right click you will have minimum issues and concerns.