CarMax

Profile Unclaimed

Overall good experience.

Former Employee - Business Office Associate
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate

I worked at CarMax (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible with time off requests. Mostly a fun atmosphere within the business office. Benefits and pay was pretty good.
    Customer focused.

Cons

Management needed to hold associates more accountable for completing tasks before the end of shift. They also needed to be more strict on being late and calling in.

Set higher expectations and don't accept mediocrity.

I sometimes miss this company

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

You get a fair shake here. Great benefits. Matching 401K, Discounted Stock options (20%) good health benefits, etc..

I have been in the car industry for a while. You do not have to deal with the BS that happens in traditional dealerships both on coworkers and managers. They truly set you up for success with great training.

Cons

Depending on where you live, you might have to work Sundays. I happened to work at a location that was open on Sundays (not every store in the company is)
    At times they try and be too "neutral" and politically correct. You can say more at Church than you can day at Carmax. The locations are very "sterile" (that was a comment used by a customer) and you can't have a personal space you can claim as your own. You get one (1) personal item to "display" in your cubical (if you have one)

The compensation (sales) is far and away below industry standards.

Increase the pay! Since Carmax's launch in 1993 there has been ONE increase in pay (2011) and that was only $10/per sale. Inflation has surpassed the pay scale and that was the only reason I left. I was VERY happy there but went to a traditional dealership and have made over TWICE as much money selling fewer cars. You hire great people but really do not do much to keep them there.

felt like high school all over

Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Modesto, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

monday-friday work. decent hours.

Cons

drama, corporate bs, management is weak.

have the testicular fortitude to not bus drive your associates for personal gain.

Top down IT organization that sees associates as widgets

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at CarMax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a nice on-site athletic facility and a good cafeteria. The work environment is casual. On a technical level, some of the teams (in particular CarMax.com) utilize some more advanced technologies.

Cons

There are many problems with the IT organization. The key ones include 1) an inability to work from home; 2) very poor advancement opportunities; 3) manager arrogance. There are numerous managers who actually will ignore associates when they pass them in the hall. Likewise, associate creativity is generally frowned upon.

If you like this sort of treatment, plus a lot of evening and weekend on call work, this is the place for you.

Focus on servant leadership

Good training, but with trade offs.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training is fantastic. No previous sales experience necessary. Good benefits for a sales job. Good opportunity for advancement. The company embraces diversity in gender, race, and sexual orientation.

Cons

Low pay for car sales and sales managers. Little incentive for successful sales associates to move up because of starting salary of low level managers. A little bait and switch for benefit promised to top associates, like self scheduling. Open long hours and Sunday's so time with family can be compromised.

More competitive comission for sales associates would bring in a better quality of employee. Ability to qualify for higher initial management salary would enable top associates to move up without taking a pay cut.

Look else where

I worked at CarMax full-time

Pros

Good money per hour if you can sell. A lot of customers to see. Most of the people are nice. Nice building

Cons

Employee turnover is very high. Management could care less. They think every one is easily replaced. If you do not know how to sell, you will not learn here. Training is terrible.

Employee turnover is red flag.

Organized Chaos

Former Employee - Inventory Lead
    Former Employee - Inventory Lead

I worked at CarMax

Pros

Friendly staff, decent benefits, Sundays off

Cons

Micromanagement! Micromanagement! Micromanagement!
    Poor Training
    Ineffective managers

Become more aware of everyday working conditions; reward ALL employees for their hard work; build a better product, not just a bigger company

Stepping stone for some. Grave stone for others.

I worked at CarMax

Pros

Friendly environment with line level co workers. Great benefits. Great employee discounts. Excellent training although most is unpaid.

Cons

If the word manager follows a job title they are looking out for their bonus. They will push supervised employees to the brink of breaking company policy to get a sale and save a customer. Every now and then a new corporate sales model comes out and all of a sudden you feel like a cookie cutter clone. I understand the business model but you can't have diversity if every single sales consultant speaks the same words with no exceptions to every customer.
    $150 commission per sale no matter the vehicle or price.

We know what we are doing. We don't get a bonus. We want to make money just as badly as you do. Interrupting sales processes to come "check" on me is in fact micro managing and most of my customers can see right through that behavior.

Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training program is great, they make sure you're as ready as possible before you hit the floor on your own.

Cons

They are slave drivers. Definitely no work/life balance if you want to make any money.

Have some empathy for your employees.

Fun

Former Intern - Inventory Associate in Oxnard, CA
    Former Intern - Inventory Associate in Oxnard, CA

I worked at CarMax as an intern (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to allow your personality to shine. Work with a knowledgeable staff. excellent training programs

Cons

Not a real team environment, Everyone is either looking to steal your deals or pass you the garbage so they can free their schedule to take someone other persons deal

Watch your key players, there's a reason they are top selling with low customer count. The numbers don't lie.