CarMax Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding (in 22 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 48 reviews)

• Inconsistent work schedules and work-life balance from store to store (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Service Operator

Former Employee - Service Operator  in  Duarte, CA
    Former Employee - Service Operator in Duarte, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. Even though the customers coming in were mad because their vehicles were not working, I enjoyed interaction with the customers as well. The pay was decent. My hours were great! M-F, 8-5.

Cons

Upper management was horrible and LAZY!!

Be consistent and don't throw loyal employees under the bus to save yourselves.

Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax part-time

Pros

The pros are great benefits. They pay a good portion of my college. Everyone is respectful of each other and there is a "family feel". Carmax already has an established name so you never have to worry about getting customers. The pay can be great if you work hard. Even when im doing bad for the pay period, I'm doing 9x better then my previous job.
    They are open to hiring younger/less experienced people. Carmax provides training and its not impossible to be hired at 18 but you have to really stand out.

Hours are very steady. Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles.
    Best part time job for sure.

Seems there are opportunities for advancement if you stay in the company long enough.

Cons

Customers think you are hourly, so they will show up when you are not there and you will lose a hard earned sale.
    Weather affects traffic. In the winter you see less people than in the summer.
    There is no steady paycheck.
    At some times you do feel like you are micro managed but it is a sales job.

I love Carmax but putting "Hiring" signs right behind the podium does not send the right message to your workers.

sales consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to work at, it is a great place to learn and develop. If you don't have any sales experience and want to learn from the best, come to work here!

Cons

commission based only, so the slow days kills you, but on one good day, you will forget the bad ones!

Keep up the good work and the effort of giving the employees a better working environment! I love carmax and hope to keep working there for a long time!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fair and merit driven

Current Employee - Purchasing  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance. Great work environment. Great camradary.

Cons

Conformist management competency profile. Far too many file reviews and associate development plans.

AWESOME Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at CarMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great corporate environment, most of the co-workers and management are real team players, more than most. Casual uniforms, great internal discounts.

Cons

Work/Life balance. If you don't make the commission you need before pay day, you'll work open to close every day to get it. During those bad times, if you divide out your pay by the hour, it's very low.

Be a team player as much as you are a coach.

College student working as a part-time sales consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CarMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

-A great part-time job for college students and it will help you build some sales skills to take with you wherever you go
    -Fun environment
    -Good people to work with
    -Constantly learning and improving your sales skills
    -Will enhance your verbal and written communication skills
    -Tuition reimbursement
    -Sales managers who will work with you to make you better at sales
    -Mentoring program with an experienced sales consultant
    -Philanthropy

Cons

-Unpredictable pay (commission only---no base hourly pay)

Overall good experience with management but we should do more team building, fun activities outside of work.

Growing Pains!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at CarMax part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay and benefits with the stock option, it's great! The culture is decent and the environment can be amazing when they allow it to be that way!

Cons

A growing company likes to know how business is gauged and the way they do it is to micro manage. Micro managing can suck all the fun out of a company with tremendous potential and it still doesn't get you the results you're so badly trying to manipulate people to produce.

To upper level management: stop focusing so much on numbers that are not really KEY. Embrace your own culture of fun and just remind your sales team of the things that work and allow them to work. If you look, you'll find that customers appreciate a fun environment rather than a rigid pressure cooker that you're moving toward. Remember, the more fun you make and the more consultants you can get to work for free/"commission" and you'll get your product sold. Duh.

Part time Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at CarMax part-time for more than a year

Pros

For a part time job, the money was great.

Cons

Customers treat like a typical used car sales man and expect that you can change the price for them.
    The customers are the luck of the draw. Some customers are ready with the car they want and ready for you to sell it to them, others had no intention of buying a car in the next 5 years.

I did not have any issues with management, but again I was part time. I might feel different if I was pulling those 60 and 70 hour work weeks.

Buyer

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Buena Park, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer in Buena Park, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

flexible with schedules and time offs

Cons

working weekends and under paid

treat associates better and need to hire better senior management

Good place to work

Former Employee - Service Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive coworkers, positive atmosphere with others who want to succeed. Good training program, with online classes. Overall a good place to work.

Cons

Stressful Environment, the typical drive to increase profitability is everywhere. The customers however, are not the same everywhere you go. When dealing with peoples cars, expectations of customers is high and this creates a high stress atmosphere.

Sales consultants over-sell the refurbished used cars and create expectations that the service dept. has to try and accommodate. Sales consultants should be realistic when selling the vehicles.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!