CarMax Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

3.2

CarMax President, CEO, and Director Tom Folliard
Tom Folliard

Pros
  • Work life balance is great the opportunity to relocate is awesome also the chance to meet great people is very rewarding (in 22 reviews)

• Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for sales consultants is below industry average per vehicle (in 48 reviews)

• Inconsistent work schedules and work-life balance from store to store (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome!

I have been working at CarMax

Pros

Great at everything they do!

Cons

There is nothing to improve!

Recruiting

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Marietta, GA

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee relations and Comfortable enviornment

Cons

Pay is the highest that it could be

Stay on the straight and narrow

Horrible waste of a year.

Former Employee - Business Office Associate  in  Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Business Office Associate in Henderson, NV

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a new field for my resume and work experience.

Cons

Horrible work environment. If you disagree even slightly with management(mind you they are always asking for employee opinions and outlook) you will immediately have a target on your back. The upper management is clearly showing favoritism, and only care about makin money. The office feels like a high school lunch room, and EVERYONE TALKS ABOUT EVERYONE, managers included. In fact the managers will say things to stir the pot amongst the employees.

Stop being so childish and focus on the growth of the company, and not the growth of your friendship circle.. A bunch of losers who had no friends in college and are using Carmax as a campus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once great....now a red tape, bureaucratic fiasco.

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

It was great to be a part of the team that changed an industry.

Cons

Culture destroying moves made post recession.
    Practice of daily culture diminishes focus on actions that actually sells units and products.
    Has become a bureaucratic disaster, with such a huge increase in administrative data entry and time consuming delivery of "feedback", that the goal of selling cars became a literal afterthought.
    I can't recall the last time anyone talked about comp sales or margins achieved.
    The overarching theme, which is drilled into everyones head like a Jim Jones city hall meeting, is to "develop" people so they can expand at the fastest pace in company history.
    What used to be a critical piece of the puzzle, hiring talent that was going to take them to the next level, has declined into settling for marginal candidates, so those above you can check boxes for their expected bench level at each store.
    Annual stock awards for the club at the very top have increased exponentially each year, while the field generals receive less each subsequent year.

It would only be "taken under advisement" so there is no need.
    That would be deemed inefficient.

Adios

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to start career, fun atmosphere, great training, good core values, different experiences every day. Co workers.

Cons

Compensation is not great, expected to come in early and stay late, weekend hours, recently hired managers are clueless and in meetings all day, preaching about work life balance is garbage-there is none. Hard work is rarely rewarded, Lots of carrot dangling for promotion. Senior managers avoid customer service situations at all costs, then explain how they would have handled it in a different/better way.

Be sure to hire quality employees considering new store growth, not just warm bodies to fill positions, take a hard look at compensation across the board at store level...

standard retail job

Current Employee - Lead Business Office Administrator  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Business Office Administrator in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great health insurance, great stock market plan, easy to get into at entry level and gain experience

Cons

working full time as an hourly (not commission based) associate is hard to live off of

would have transferred to corporate office if not for pay reasons, needed more weekends (than zero) off

Dominant used auto retailer is growing but needs to innovate

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

Relaxed working environment. Genuinely nice co-workers and no jerks. Semi-flexible work hours. Company invests in associates and wants to help them grow. Company is expanding and looks to grow for many years to come.

Cons

Executive leadership team has grown complacent. Store growth is nice but internal processes and IT are stagnant. Far too many meetings. Current leadership has too much top-down micro management at the moment.

Set goals for your associates and empower them to solve problems. Focus on hiring 'A' players and give them guidance rather than a list of instructions.

Don't have fun unless you have been instructed to do so.

Former Employee - Operations  in  South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Operations in South Jordan, UT

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounted pricing on parts for your vehicle if you order them through service drive with the employee discount. They have three different healthcare options plus the option for pre-tax healthcare spending accounts. Bonuses, rewards, and competitions with other locations keep a healthy competitive atmosphere alive nationally. Motivational compass meetings for attempts at building morale are done monthly; employees can make suggestions for improving the culture at work before a vote is made on a plan of action for the month. Standard work directions have been created for every possible job duty, with the idea that an entire new crew could come in and pick up the work with little hiccup.

Cons

It's a conveyor belt production/prison atmosphere in the operations shop. Don't step outside the lines of your bay, don't go to the bathroom if it's not break time, don't have conversations with others that aren't directly related to the work you are currently doing. Private conversations must be stopped immediately because they could be related to starting a union, heaven forbid. Teamwork, getting to know your co-workers, and morale boosting is strictly limited to monthly scripted meetings and personal break time. Standard work has calculated how each minute of your day should be used and there is no room for anything at all outside of the repeated 36 minute cycle that you are to do. Your schedule gets changed around quite a bit with little communication. Surprise, you are working 10 hour shifts this week, hope you didn't have plans.

Make the morale boosting activities sincere, make people want to stay. Current compass meetings feel scripted. After the month's action has been decided, it's forgotten or tweaked so drastically to fit into Carmax standards that it becomes ineffectual. And next month will be a different focus anyway. Let people be humans, let them talk while they work. And stop promising the world to every employee. Every employee shouldn't be let to believe that they will be the next Lead. That gets old in a hurry and breeds distrust in the leadership.

Carmax

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at CarMax full-time for more than a year

Pros

Money, possible advancement if you brown nose, training on how to sell

Cons

As a sales consultant, I was hired not on my sales exsperience because I didnt have any. I was hired becasue I was a people person and outgoing. I was fired because I was a people person. I got fired for being that. You have to vwalk on eggshells in this company. Of course there is a obvious line on what and not what to say, but in my case i was let go becasue I was in gray area. Never had the chance to confront my accuser. I was more than happy to leave. If you have to walk on egg shells around there and knowing these maangers wont get your back this company is not for you.

Be human, not a damn robot.

Boa

Current Employee - BOA  in  Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - BOA in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at CarMax part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good employee and co workers seems to be a lot of room for growth.

Cons

Starting as part time, and also working every weekend but other than that not too many cons.

Make sure there is enough staff to train properly.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!