CarSense

Updated December 7, 2014
4.4

CarSense President & CEO Gene Niconovich
Gene Niconovich

Pros
  • 401k/Profit sharing is second to none (in 7 reviews)

• It's great they promote from within and acknowledge people who have went beyond, and find people that seem to be a perfect for for their positions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • During the busy seasons it is very hard to have any kind of work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• They expect you to work hard and long hours but they also will compensate you handsomely if you do all the right things (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Employee Treated Great

I have been working at CarSense full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management listens to employees, lunches provided often, good team environment

Cons

lack of accountability often times

better understand the daily procedures of the employees

Great people, but shady practices when it comes to pay.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work at carsense are top notch. This is hands down the best place to buy a car. The work environment is laid back compared to what you see work a typical car sales job. If you are looking for something more than a retail sales position this is a great next step. The branch I was at was in a bit of flux which left a poor taste in my mouth.

Cons

The managers, in my experience, did a poor job preparing new employees for work. Sales is a tough job, and without proper training and preparation sales consultants really struggled. There was not a ton of veteran employees at my branch which contributed to the lack of training. Also, the pay plan is confusing and misleading. The managers made promises for bonuses that never got paid out. Also, occasionally, they would promise a daily bonus if we sold so much. The team would hit the bonus and the General Manager would find a reason not to pay. The only way to make any real money is sell 21+ cars a month. Other bonuses really don't help. And you won't make more than 35,000 your first year. Average pay is far less than 50,000.

Train your new employees and make the pay checks what they are supposed to be. Don't hold pay because the branch had a bad month. Managers cared way more about the monthly sales numbers than developing the new employees skills and customer service.

Car Sense, a place that cares about their employees.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chester Springs, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chester Springs, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From Day 1 you are welcomed with open arms, everyone works as a team, great structure and advancement. Many opportunities to show initiative and be recognized for doing a job well done. Picnics, trips, fun days, every Saturday the company buys everyone lunch.

Cons

Extended work hours, although better than comparable positions.

Keep doing what your doing, Positive attitudes, motivators, listen to needs. Caring matters.

Nov 19, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

Thanks for the positive comments. We work very hard to make everyone feel at home and part of the family.

The best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Retail Service in Chester Springs, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Service in Chester Springs, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair compensation, outstanding company culture. Car Sense takes care of its employees and clients alike. Profit sharing, 401k, uniforms, the list goes on and on. We really are who we say we are!

Cons

I have not experienced any negatives at Car Sense. we always stick to our high level of integrity and character like no other place I've ever been a part of.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Nov 19, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

Integrity is our #1 value at CarSense. A used car dealer with values????? Yes...Thanks for the post!

Hands down, best company ever!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company makes you feel like you are the most important person working for them! They not only care about your professional success, but go over and above with care and love for your personal life and family. They totally stand behind promotion from within as long as you work smart, have a high level of integrity, care about what you do and are dedicated to working for the next opportunity within!

Cons

We do work quite a bit of hours (roughly 45/wk), but this is mainly because we are in retail and we never know when we are going to be busy.

Keep on lovin us...

Oct 8, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

Thanks for the great review. Its always nice to read true feedback. I am you are feeling the work life balance, we are trying very heard to figure it out.

Is the best place I have purchased a car from or worked for.

I have been working at CarSense full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CarSense promotes within the company, giving everyone the chance to excel and move up in the company. They also treat their employees extremely well. It has family atmosphere when you come to work, everyone truly cares about each other.

Cons

Balancing your work life from your personal life is very difficult, it is a demanding job and requires a lot of time and energy .

Sep 22, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

Thanks for the post. We agree, it is difficult sometimes to balance work life and personal life, that's why we did away with 12 hour shifts for sales associates and are looking into seeing where we ... More

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mount Holly, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mount Holly, NJ

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly and easy going atmosphere. Everyone looks out for each other and are very helpful. The company has strong values and sticks to them. Quality of product is superb and the process of how the vehicles end up this way is a great sales tool to show the customers. Smaller company that seems to be on the growth path which will lead to great chance of climbing up in the company.

Cons

Taking a day off here and there seems to be difficult. Every few months an employee should be able to take a Saturday off or switch his or her day off during the week for a weekend off once in a while. There should be some kind of bonus for the first 7 cars.

There needs to be more promotions and compensation for the sales consultants. maybe weekly bonus for selling X amount of vehicles. We are graded on hitting certain criteria but are not compensated for them. i.e. more incentive for selling products, finance and old age units

Sep 22, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

Team work is the name of the game at CarSense. We have a program that encourages our sales associates to take a Saturday off every once in a while to recharge and spend some time with the family ... More

CarSense = Second-to-none!!!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Robinson, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Robinson, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bottom line. They care about their people. Family and work-life balance are very important. Unlike your traditional car store. They will always make attempts to help if you need time. Daughter in school play, softball game, take wife to the doctor, you name it. The atmosphere is second to none. Laid back, but very dedicated to the goals and objectives, at hand. The team really is like a family. CarSense has a genuine interest in you, as a person, not just as a number. Also, they love to promote from within. That is a definite positive.

Cons

I must say, I normally look forward to this part of any review to give my "two cents". However, in this case, CarSense really has it together. No complaints!

Keep up the good work! Your people are one of the most important pieces in the puzzle of success. From front-to-back and top-to-bottom, a great job is being done. Continue to grow, so that we can grow with you.

Sep 16, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

WOW! That answer that.... Thanks so much, sounds like a plan.

Great place to work, with an environment you you rarely find in a workplace.

Current Employee - Service in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Service in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very enjoyable and positive place to work, even under stress everyone keeps a professional/ positive attitude, and compliments when you do a great job and motivates you to always push and deliver a great product. It's a place centered around the customer that actually cares about your experience as well, it's hard to find a place where everyone even the head executives knows your name, and greets you with a smile, sometimes even cooks you lunch. It's great they promote from within and acknowledge people who have went beyond, and find people that seem to be a perfect for for their positions. In short It's a great place to work, and it's the people that make it that.

Cons

Not really any cons per say, just realize there is a certain level that is expected from everyone here, it's not a free ride, but comes with its rewards and acknowledgements. The pay may not seem the highest in the way of car dealers, but the atmosphere and benefits make it worth it.

Carsense is a great place to work, probably the best job I've ever had, I would review the equipment in our shops tho, while we do have a diverse amount of equipment, some is very overkill for what we do, while other things, tho working aren't well suited, or up to the demands of our stores and hurt how well we can help our customers.

Sep 12, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

I totally agree with your statement "In short It's a great place to work, and it's the people that make it that." It's our people who contribute to the culture everyday who make us who we are, thanks ... More

Sales Review

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cranberry Township, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cranberry Township, PA

I have been working at CarSense full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with in all departments

Cons

The company hides how much money you will make and does not even offer a pay plan in writing. They have cameras and listen and tape all your phone call. They pay far below to their sales people. The company is extremely sneaky in all areas. They hirer very nice people and represent them selves as Christians, they even put a bible in the glove box and a hand in your wallet. It is a lot worse for managers. You never know how much money you will be getting until you get your pay check.

Be more honest with employees. Don't set such high expectations on Managers. Don't be so greedy.

Sep 22, 2014VP of Personnel and Culture Development

I would agree we have very nice people in all of our departments. However, your other comments need a bit of clarification. We do have sales associate pay plans in writing and I will be happy to ... More