Cara Operations Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Bill Gregson

Pros
  • Great People, great work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Owners had no clue what they were doing (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management lost touch on how to communicate properly with their employees not unless you were a Queens Graduate (in 3 reviews)

1. appreciable

Former Employee - Garnisher, Cashier, and Drive-Thru in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Garnisher, Cashier, and Drive-Thru in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cara Operations part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and learn a lot.

Cons

Some time very less hour.

Advice to Management

Really good environment.

2. bartender

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Oakville, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Oakville, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cara Operations

Pros

Friendly work environment, performance based scheduling, able to make lucrative amount of tips (sometimes over $300 a night) made lasting relationships, time flies, job isn't stressful, flexible schedules, mostly good management, ability to move up. Overall great experience.

Cons

Dying brand, head office are jerks but they're only there on occasion, long hours (but the longer you work the more you make). Dont usually get weekends but you get used to it. Standing a lot, a lot of walking and blisters. Pressure to look "like your going to the party, not coming from one".

Advice to Management

Dont be lazy, dont be mean and back our decisions (within reason)

3. Ok part time job while in school.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cara Operations part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility. As a student I would be able to rearrange my schedule to work with my schooling and other events

Cons

Very little appreciation for employees or empowerment to make decisions. Owner would be stingy. Needed repairs would be put off and raises, if any, were minimal.
    Brand wise seem to be trying to go away from core strengths and trying to reach into markets were they don't belong.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Focus on your strenghts. New menu items are great, but try to understand the limits to freezer sizes as well as what can be done efficiently.

5. Manager

I worked at Cara Operations

Pros

Fastpace, newer IT team , There are tons of work and specially WRT the PCI com pliancy and general network security arena which there are multitude of large holes there, however mgmt seems are in denial of this fact.

Cons

Too many parallel projects, Too much office politics, unreal expectations time to time, I had less than half the staff required to run in my team compare to previous administration.

6. Not pleasant.

Former Employee - Garnisher, Cashier, and Drive-Thru
    Former Employee - Garnisher, Cashier, and Drive-Thru

I worked at Cara Operations part-time

Pros

Coworkers were basically the only pro of working at Harveys. They were fun and friendly, super easy to get along with and remained friends even after I quit Harveys.

Cons

Would force overtime and not pay for it.
    Would post schedules and then cross hours out with a pen and change them without asking.
    Was put into uncomfortable situations and had to take on tasks that were not part of my duties and also was not trained on (grilling/fryer)
    Senior management was unpleasant/rude to employers
    Negative energy all around the restaurant (lots of coworkers fighting/management arguing/a lot of talking behind the back)

Advice to Management

Treat employers respectfully, ask them if they feel comfortable doing certain tasks that they are not trained on.

7. Line Cook

Former Employee - Line Cook in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cara Operations

Pros

fun work environment. Met lots of great.. Provided me with the opportunity to learn about myself and to learn about my colleagues. Had a great tim here

Cons

Management could learn a thing or two from people who are ACTUALLY working. Some of the managers were good although most were just there to cut cost and increase their own bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get a suggestion box!

8. Good learning experience

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Cara Operations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are great. People are great.

Cons

Not enough upward movement for people who work hard.

Advice to Management

Compensation is needed for those who deserve it.

9. Chill environment, fast-pace work, can be stressful sometimes

Current Employee - Harvey's Worker in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Harvey's Worker in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cara Operations part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm 18 years old, and I started working at Harvey's when I was 16.
    -I was surrounded by workers who were my age, some older some younger. Everyone was chill - we cracked jokes, fooled around, and even became close enough to the manager to make fun of them too.
    -The jobs like garnishing the burgers and doing the cash become super easy after you get the hang of it and even when the lineups out the door, you don't feel any pressure because the job is easy.
    -Definitely learn how to deal with customers and develop people skills
    -You don't feel the pressure of having to "look good" like many retail stores
    -50% discount on all food items INCLUDING swiss chalet food (because the store i worked at was connected to a swiss chalet)
    -CARA employee discount card which gives you 20% off on all the sister stores like kelsey's, milestones, montana's, and swiss chalet

Cons

-When managers get stressed, they get STRESSED. My managers used to be able to control their stress, but as the years went by I noticed that they just unleashed their anger on us, even if we did nothing wrong.
    -There's no set schedule
    -Once you become really good, they really want you to stay with the store - it was hard for my sister to quit because the manager kept trying to convince her to stay by offering only-weekend shifts
    -customers can be rude/mean. Even if you're polite, some just want to get their food, and get out.
    -Gets super cold in the winter if you're on drive-thru because you're constantly opening and closing the window

Advice to Management

Only thing I have to say is to keep their chill. I understand that stress can get the best of us (even me) but if you're going to snap on all of your workers, at least make up for it afterwards. Also, giving some remarks of appraisal would be nice here and there. Sometimes workers feel like their slaves when we're putting in so much effort and not getting any recognition for it.

10. My experience was not the best. Always working through my breaks and never a good thank u from managers

Former Employee - Assembler in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assembler in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cara Operations full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

some workers understood the importance of the job

Cons

English should be spoken at all times.

Advice to Management

The management team need to value the ideas of the works. Many of times the workers knows more than the management.

11. Front of house

Former Employee - Front of House in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Front of House in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cara Operations part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to pick up on job requirements
    Good staff
    Very flexible with schedule for students

Cons

No growth
    May get boring
    May have to deal with rude customers at times

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed