Carahsoft Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
2.7
Craig P. Abod

Pros
  • You learn a LOT - it will help set you up in the software sales game if that's what you're looking to do (in 4 reviews)

• Tons of happy hours, catered meals, and benefits during busy season (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This stuff happens because there is NO HR department and like others have said, it is the running joke (in 8 reviews)

• There is no HR department and alcohol all over the place which is a horrible combination (in 7 reviews)

1. Carahsoft is a good company to gain experience right out of college, but its pay doesn't match the market.

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, Fun coworkers, Extra incentives like bottles of alcohol and team trips

Cons

Poor salary, work environment can sometimes be too casual, management is hit or miss depending on your team

Don't keep everyone based solely on loyalty- it's the way you end up with inefficient and ineffective leaders. Also increase pay for non-sales jobs because they don't get commission and have little to no room for growth.

2. Growing company! You get out what you put in, fantastic first job!

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Fantastic learning experience! You have the opportunity to learn things about the government marketplace very early in your career that would take years elsewhere.
    *Lots of opportunities to earn gift cards
    *Annual trip to tropical location
    *"Work hard, Play Hard" mentality, fairly regular company happy hours
    *Young, vibrant environment
    *Fast growing company in IT marketplace

Cons

*Pay is below market
    *If you don't buy in to the vision and the model, you will absolutely hate your time there
    *Many of the team leads are simply management favorites and have no discernable leadership skills
    *Long hours, especially at the end of the government fiscal year
    *No clarity on comp plans/bonus structure

Keep investing in your employees and make compensation clear. Additionally, invest in additional training for middle management.

3. Young Culture

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very young workplace. Maybe more of a play hard mentality although your experience here will vary on what team you're placed in. Some hate it, some love it.
    -Happy Hours every Friday during the summer
    -Fun Team Outings
    -All expenses paid company trip to a tropical resort
    -Free fruit every Wednesday

Cons

-Management is very unclear and ambiguous.
    -Pay is confusing
    -Company is growing too fast. Not enough space.
    -Would prefer all the money going to happy hours and random gifts go towards salary.

5. Good first time Job

Current Employee - Account Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Carahsoft

Pros

It is salary
    Professional Entry Level Job
    Meet look of good people professionally
    Learn the IT field
    Learn the basics of what a real job will demand from you

Cons

Top management is professional and experienced... team leads (some not all) are complete idiots.
    The pay is not enough to really survive with out help form mom or dad
    Job is very basic, not very much talent, nor do you really learn the skills. you are just exposed to them

Not worth it.

Current Employee - Account Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are all within recent grad ages (22-28).
    Seems to be an endless flow of alcohol.
    An OK first job right out of college if you are interested in IT sales.

Cons

During the offer interview, they indicate that you will be making $32,000 when you begin. You are in fact only making $26-28,000.
    One of the first things I heard from the director when I started there was "you are all replaceable."
    The turnover rate is ridiculous. Average time of a recent grad at Carahsoft is 6-8 months.
    Team leads hardly ever give out instruction and you are on your own to do your work. When you aren't doing something they think you should be doing, you get reprimanded.
    You will work long hours and work overtime with no extra compensation.
    If the team leads are not fond of you, they run you into the ground with additional work till you quit.
    Anybody who has been there longer than 2-3 years are in a clique and will talk trash about you behind your back.

Have a complete restructure of company culture. Stop using alcohol as an incentive and do not allow people to drink on the job.

7. Marketing Intern Review

Current Intern - Marketing in Reston, VA
    Current Intern - Marketing in Reston, VA

I have been working at Carahsoft as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Paid internship is always a plus. Learned a lot and everyone is incredibly supportive and understanding that schoolwork comes first. Great perks with the company: team outing, happy hours, free food sometimes. Good overall marketing experience - got to work a lot with events and email marketing. If you have skill in organizing or working events in the past, they will undoubtedly utilize you; it's just up to you to show that you have something to offer. If you do well, they will offer you a full time position out of college. Great stepping stone.

Cons

The work seems like busy work much of the time. It helps out the team members, but instead of contributing to the company I often feel like I'm just fixing mistakes that could easily be avoided. A lot of manual labor at times - cleaning a storage unit, closet, cabinets, transporting a lot of marketing materials from one place or another. In the heat of summer I brought a spare change of clothes so I wouldn't be sweaty and miserable all day in the office. Extremely crowded office space, seems like there may definitely be an issue of a fire code somewhere in there.

Decision process seems slow, so for bigger projects I feel like it takes months to get anything approved. Excellent experience is given to me in working on big projects; the management really believes in you if you work hard and earn it.

A joke of a company

Former Employee - Government Account Representative in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Government Account Representative in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people 23-28 age range
    Perks such as "shoe day", and a company trip to somewhere tropical

Cons

Extremely unprofessional work environment.
    "Managers" have no real management or mentoring experience.
    Next to zero training, the first month or so you basically sit at your desk, the reading material provided regarding the company and software used can be completed in a day.
    No real structure or real commission or bonus objectives. They are based on "MBO's" or management based objectives which are cometely subjective and not based on actual selling performance
    You are basically a telemarketer for webinars your first few months and have no real selling of software.
    The salary is misleading, you are told you will make 32k plus bonuses, where in reality you make 26k + $500/month. Pay is 2x a month, not every 2 weeks.
    There is also no HR department.
    People drink on Fridays. Basically a law suit waiting to happen.
    I am surprised that anyone stays there for more than a couple months.
    Work hours are 8:30-5:30, which is NOT the industry standard, plus you ate NOT compensated for any OT you work. Also, there is no clocking in or out, and no one is paying attention to any of that anyways as there is no HR dept.

Pay your employees a better salary, why would I want a pair of shoes when I could have an actual obtainable goal and bonus per month. I don't wanna hear about how the company is making over 2 billion dollars a year so the entire company can go to Jamaica for a week, how about a realistic salary?
    Implement an actual training program, and hire an HR or personnel department.
    Hire managers that can actually mentor employees, not just people who have been there for more than 2 years.

Federal Sales University

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Carahsoft full-time

Pros

Great entry level job to get you into the industry. Great training and mentoring system. Really holds keys to some of the biggest and upcoming IT vendors/resellers in the business. Pay doesn't start well, as it aims for recent grads, but there is a steep increase in pay as your tenure grows.

Cons

smoke and mirrors bonus structure. Not a lot of room for advancement. Work can get repetitive after a while.

Carahsoft is a joke

Former Employee - Business Development in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In the summer you get free beer on Fridays.

Cons

Parking lot 1.5 miles away. You have to walk!
    You make only 26k plus monthly bonus to make it a whopping total of 32k
    No room to grow
    Micro Manage
    NO HR Dept

I don't want to see monthly emails how the company surpassed 2 billion dollars in sales, and not see cent. There should be a direct bonus structure.

Feels more like a club than a company

Current Employee - Sales Account Representative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Representative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the few jobs that prefers not prior experience so great way to get your foot in the door and make connections. The company is growing incredibly fast which is both a pro and a con. I have been there almost 4 years and have moved "up" fairly quickly. They give you lots of alcohol and take you over seas for a weekend if that's what floats your boat.

Cons

Because they only promote within and are growing so fast I would say 3 out of 4 managers is not ready or capable of leading but they were just their first. At least half of the managers should never be in charge of anyone. Ever. Coming from the military and a professional background I was very disappointed with the atmosphere. Zero professionalism. My pay is wrong about 1/3 of the time (always less) and they seem surprised every time it happens. Most star performers leave after a couple years and management acts like they betrayed them. God forbid you want to move on to another company in the industry... They will threaten to stop working with vendors and partners if they hire you.

Stop focusing on brown nosing Craig and look at what makes good employees and good business practices. Plenty of what we do is negative for business (calling the same person 3 times a week to make call numbers) but it's looks good to Craig. Stop screwing people on pay. Sometimes people outgrow their position. Instead of screwing them out of moving up in the industry you should be encouraging it so as to make allies within the industry, not enemies... and I know several people you have made enemies of.