Carahsoft Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
2.8

Craig P. Abod

Market Leader!

I have been working at Carahsoft

Pros

Our big company is run like a very small one where there is access to all leaders of the organization at all times. Team incentives allow for everyone to impact the success of each team and the overall environment is positive because of these dynamics. It is exhilarating to be part of this rocket ship!

Cons

We are growing out of our space- what a great problem to have! Most of the reps haven't had another job and don't quite understand these growing pains.

Continue nurturing future leaders- that is how we will continue to grow!

A good first job out of college for those interested in IT sales

Former Employee - Government Account Representative  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Government Account Representative in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment. Work hard play hard atmosphere. Gives you some great insight into how the IT sales and federal procurement prices works.

Cons

Too many outbound phone call requirements. Very low pay. Management is a mess. The hours are very long with no compensation for overtime put in.

Remember who makes you look good. Management is quick to get on your case for not meeting a goal, but does not always recognize when you exceed your goal. Very one sided. Management is often looking to only cover themselves.

An incredible company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with the company a little over 4 years, and it has been an incredible ride. To watch this company grow at the rate it has, but still maintain that "small company" feel has been great. Even with revenue over 1.5B and 400 employees our president still has an open door policy for all employees. Of course there are amazing perks with the job (trips, shoes, etc), but that is not why people stay. People stay because of the growth opportunity within as well as the chance to learn everything there is about selling to the Federal Government. The motto here has always been "You get out of it what you put into it". Truer words have been been spoken.

Cons

The culture at Carahsoft is very young, with lots of energy, coming from a strict, buttoned up, Fortune 500 company there can definitely be a period of adjustment.

Continue to grow the people within your company. I think you will find good results.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent first job; teaches you the ropes of the federal IT sales industry; wouldn't stay longer than 1 year

Former Employee - Government Account Representative  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Government Account Representative in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

- truly teaches you the ins and outs of the federal IT sales industry; train you in the traditional business model of the industry as well as the cold calling/account management process
    - everyone here is young, so it's easy to relate to your coworkers
    - fun little perks here and there such as a random car payment day, company trip (usually to Jamaica!)

Cons

- LOW PAY...it's acceptable if you're living at home for your first year out of college, but otherwise you'll be living paycheck to paycheck for SURE
    - long hours
    - sometimes unreasonable goals related to bonuses...you're basically doing the work of a manufacturer inside sales rep but getting paid about 1/4 of the pay for it

thanks for teaching me the ropes of the industry...great place for a first job! maybe increase the base pay of the reps so that there will be less turnover

Micro managed, felt like high school, is this a real post graduate job?

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Reston, VA

I worked at Carahsoft full-time for less than a year

Pros

First off, Craig Abod has a great business model. They try to preach about their company culture, in which you can drink at the office and are awarded with liquor bottles. You do get to go on a company trip at the end of every year, the only problem is you actually have to work there for 7 months just to be able to attend.

Cons

Like I said, Craig Abod has a great business model. Does that mean it is a great place to work? Def not. The entire environment comes off as a great/fun place to work, but in reality they prey on the recent college grad that has no idea on what a post graduate professional job should be.

You are constantly micro managed and monitored like you are in high school. Upper management sends employees to walk around the office to "catch" people on their cell phones. It felt like a giant call center, you will be making over 100 calls a day.

Let's talk about the pay, for starters, it is horrendous. They start everyone at the same base pay. But pay attention your base is not the already low number of $32,000 a year. It is actually $28,000 a year. They have a very sneaky way of making your monthly bonus add up to your entire salary. Be careful, read the reviews, you may like it. But if you want a challenging and rewarding job that makes you feel like getting your college degree is worth it, then don't work here.

Stop giving your employees liquor bottles and beer, just pay them more.

Full-time Account Representative

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of young people, which makes it fun and social
    Occasional happy hours at the office on Friday afternoons
    Tons of happy hours, catered meals, and benefits during busy season
    Annual company trip
    Flexible with vacation days
    Occasionally give away gift cards for winning competitions
    Given gift cards at Christmas

Cons

Little to no structured training, Poor leadership
    Terrible pay
    Long hours, Few holidays
    High turnover rate
    Little work to do and lots of cold calling
    Extremely cramped - not enough space in the office and not enough parking, so they expect some people to park offsite and walk/get picked up from a lot a mile away

If you don't start investing in people, you'll lose the good ones. Take the time to train new hires and don't expect their peers to fill them in as they go.

Work Hard Play Hard

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time

Pros

It is a really young fun environment

Cons

people always seemed to be stressed to the max at work, long hours, new people get yelled at a lot

Don't let your team leads yell at people below them

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place for fresh grads! Lots of alcohol and many little bonuses to keep you going. The bonuses are spaced far/close enough together so you stay on a little longer to reach that bonus.
    Company Trip each year. (Who doesn't want to be in their bathing suit with all their coworkers?!)

Cons

The management isn't trained at all. The people that are in management positions are the people that decide to stick around and are in "the group." If you have a problem with your direct manager, you can't go to the next manager up or the next. They are all friends that buddy up and take each other's sides. You will not be heard here.
    Very unprofessional and inappropriate comments and acts in the office, at client facing events, and at Carahsoft events. This stuff happens because there is NO HR department and like others have said, it is the running joke.
    This position is also very little pay. For example, I was told $36K, then after a few pay periods realized that the $36K was made up of a base of $24K and the rest was built on bonuses. Bonuses are given based on opinion not an actually commission based scale. So each month your bonuses are based upon
    "Did you build relationships with the vendor?"
    "Did you work well with your team?"
    "Is this weeks recorded call better than last weeks?" (they record everything - and allow others on your team to go snooping through your emails and calls)
    This is on top of lowest first call time, most calls plus minutes, and how many candidates you pushed through the system. There is not an equation that you can have any idea of what your bonus will be. It is all up to your Management team's opinion of you.
    If you aren't in "the group" with your mangers, you will not get the same treatment even if you do more than your share of the work.
    IT'S ALL OPINION BASED.

Break up the cliques because it is causing a lot of trouble within teams. TRAINING - You will spend less money by training your managers and team members and keeping them than you do on the turnover you are dealing with now. Your pay scale should be more equatable and fair. You give your "managers" $1000 bonuses at their meetings and your give the rest of the employees $200 in their 401k.

Good stepping stone

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's an easy job in sales. Everyone gets a crash course, and then you hit the phones.

Cons

The pay is terrible and management is grandfathered in.

As nice as it was, tequila does not constitute a bonus.

A great place to grow and develop your career!

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Carahsoft full-time for more than a year

Pros

Carahsoft is unlike many other companies- it truly is a fun and rewarding place to work. The President is an amazing leader and really does value each and every person that works for the company. The corporate culture has always been warm and welcoming since my first day. Most of the people here are my age and I have made some long-lasting friendships. The growth of the company is something I was attracted to initially and I have experienced rapid upward mobility in my position at Carahsoft over the past 2 years. In addition to the bonuses there are really great incentives throughout the year too! I am very happy in my role and look forward to many more great years here.

Cons

You will get back what you put in; you control the outcome of your success here and hard work pays off. That's not a con- rather it's advice to anyone looking at Carahsoft to start their career.

Continue to foster an environment that allows for employees to learn and grow.

Worked for Carahsoft? Contribute to the Community!