Carbis

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Samuel Carbis

Glad to be a part of the Carbis team. Growing company with a bright future.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

ProsFamily oriented company that promotes a team atmosphere. Carbis is committed to helping their clients succeed and not peddling the equipment like some of the competitors do. The Carbis name is a brand name in the industry and is well know for the quality of their products. Very stable company that has been around since the 1930's.

ConsThe sales review process has not always been consistent. Sometimes you have to travel more than you would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the culture that has put Carbis as the world leader in the industry of keeping our clients people safe and their products flowing.

Should be called "Sam Careless Solutions Group"

No Comment (Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

ProsIts a stepping stone to the next job.

ConsIt's really sad to see how far this company has slid down the slope when it comes to taking care of those who take care of them.They build their city of gold while the "soldiers" that protect it are looked down upon as if they are useless.Some do better than others working for them.From my stand point,people are not paid what they are truly worth,with the exception of the owners.I agree that they take the greatest risk and should make good money.I would also agree that their skill set has helped make me money but they need to understand mine has made them rich beyond their wildest dreams.They are certainly living alot better on my skills than I am living on theirs.The company is just a few big moves away from being a good place to work.At the same time,they are just a few moves away from having major league problems.I think that if they don't do something to entice their production employees to want to stay and want to work,the turn over rate is going to show in the quality.That's when the downhill slide will get out of control and they will hit the bottom harder than they ever imagined.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou didn't build this company all by yourselves.You have completely ignored the people that made you rich.Without the employees,the customers wouldn't matter.

Flag Review
    Carbis Chief Operating Officer responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    I really appreciate your feedback and you make some very good points. You hit on two very big issues that are currently being looked at...pay rates and production turnover rates. If you have ... More

Promise things but never leave up to it, and pays for them to go to Aruba but don't give the hard workers a raise

Shop Worker (Current Employee)
    Darlington, SC

ProsOther employee that you end up making as friends

ConsDon't give raises nor care about their employees who put the work out

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more raises and show value to your employees and not your friends

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smoking Mirrors

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsThey were lucky enough to have some really solid sales team members. I liked the job until I understood how management worked

ConsWhere to start. If it was possible to give this company 0 stars I would. They make a lot of promises to you and the job sounds great on paper. Then reality sets in. I have never in my life worked for a more incompetent management team. There is no consistency and if you aren't a brown noser or one of their buddies your days are numbered. They don't promote or give raises to the most successful sales people, they promote their friends. Job security?? Forget it. You will get fired without any warning and with no valid reason except that you don't fit in their "circle". I saw many very good sales reps get fired. Look up the company's turn over rate; it is unheard of. And heartless, fired people the day before Thanksgiving and Christmas. People are always afraid that they will be fired. There is no regard for their employees or their families. Just because the company has been handed down the family line doesn't mean they know a thing about business. Its run like they think Carbis sells itself because of the name and the sales team is irrelevant. This job may be tempting because of a decent starting salary and promises of pay increases (which never happened) but don't be fooled. Seriously, look elsewhere. There is a reason why their competition who has been in business a lot less years are taking more of the market share. I had a lot of hopes for this company and figured this would be my last stop for at least a good long while. Just do your research, listen to what the employees are saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees, work with them, and stop firing people all the time! They are what make your company.

I Love Being Part of Helping Save the Lives of Others

Safety Consultant (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsBeing employed!!! Working with wonderful people in all areas of the company. Knowing that I can count on co-workers in all different departments to give me help and advice when working with a client. The positive atmosphere that is happening within the whole company and departments. The CEO and COO asking for the employees to join with them and welcoming employees to make suggestions and help them to make Carbis grow as the industry leader.

ConsNegativity of some employees. Some employees still need to realize that instead of spreading rumors and things they hear, to instead verify the fears and talk of negative changes heard with the person that it deals with before asking your other coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going the direction that you are going. The positive energy that is being displayed is great. Thank you for making such a noticed effort to lead this company in a direction of growth, but at the same time caring about what Carbis does and the industry we provide to.

A cultural Shift is happening..... the potential is HUGE for this company

Sales (Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

Pros- Compensation for company employees is very attractive
    - The ability to work with Fortune 500 companies on large projects
    - The experience levels of the overall sales group is very impressive
    - It seems that the negative reputation Carbis has been known for is transitioning to a fun place to work.
    = The management structure, which in the past was confusing and gave little direction, seems to all be on the same page and has a definite direction.
    - the people, from top to bottom, are genuinely good people.

Cons- In the past, a major con would have been the lack of direction. However, more recently, it looks as though that there is a consensus from all upper management on the future and direction of the company.

- HR policies can be somewhat too ridiculous at times. Employees need to be look at as assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward with the positive message and philosophy. There seems to be some real excitement flowing through the office.

Take care of the people that makes Yall millions!!!!!

Darlington, SC

ProsIts a place to work and bring home a check. If you don't brown nose like the coaches you will never get any where!!

Consits bad when the plant manager thinks people like him and his own coaches talk about him when he'd not looking. But thats what he gets for being a hippacrit!!!!! Haha

Advice to Senior ManagementIf all the reviews on here say the same thing about them taking care of there employees what kind of advice can I give em? Take care of your people and not your friends we wanna make money to! Hello wake the up!!!!!

Worked at Carbis over 18 years!

Designer (Current Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsGood size company that has been in business over 40 years (sister firm been in business 80 years). Fun people to work with. Items sold is in demand which provides security.

ConsIf you are lazy and don't want to work you will have a hard time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone - they have been running the firm for a long time — must be doing something right!

The owners are in it for their family not yours! Beware

(Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

ProsSome good co-workers and they have a

ConsOwners don't care about the employees only about the future and well being of their family. They will work you to death and when you have no more to give they ask for more. Most people that are in management positions have no business being there. They have no clue how to manage and only got there b/c they buddied up to the owners. No time for your own family b/c you are too busy making theirs rich.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou better start treating "us" the employees better b/c if you don't you may not have any left. At company forums stop talking down to your employees and then asking for more overtime and for them to work harder. All you do is take away and then ask for more. Everyone has a breaking point and greed will bite you in the end. Start giving to the employees. Calling your employees "Terrorist" on 9/11at a company forum for putting comments in the comment box and using this web page is not the way to get more out of people. That forum was meant to honor those who died that horrible day in our history and then you think it is a good idea? Never giving raises for cost of living is not the way to get more out of people. Telling your employees that you may drop all health insurance and pay the penalty and leave us to get our own health insurance b/c of Obama Care is not the way to get more out of people. Telling us you are doing away with our profit sharing is not they way to get more out of us. Then when a fellow employee ask you the owner about raises you say we have to talk to our "Coaches" to see what we have to do to earn one and then saying you don't want us to sit around and wait on our review and raise b/c that will interfere with our job and production. Then after all that standing in front of your employees who have no more to give and patting your family member on the head and saying that everything you are doing is for him is a slap in the face to everyone who works hard for you and sacrifices their own family time to fatten your pockets. That is not the way to build morale and loyalty to you company. It's almost like you are blind to that fact that you are undermining your own company. Wake up and listen b/c most people who work for you are not happy and want out. Just be glad there are no other jobs in the area to move to.

Total Nightmare for "SHOP WORKERS"

Shopworker (Current Employee)
    Florence, SC

ProsGreat group of hardworking shop employees

ConsWhere to start?
    No appreciation from supervisors/managers/owners.
    Poorly family owned and ran company.
    Working 60 hours a week for 5 months at the time because of mess ups on the office/business side of the company. They get to go home at 530pm to there families. We hardly get to see our families. "Company is barely breaking even" even though they are having "record breaking months" -words straight out of the owners mouth IN THE SAME SPEECH. We are seeing no profit sharing checks for the 60 hours/week we are working and sacrificing away from our families & hobbies. Can't have a hobby or watch your kids ball games when you get off at 7pm every night of the week. After taxes the OT pay is sure not worth it. Raises not being given for skill advancement & experience. Some employees have been there 5-7 years and maybe received 1 raise if lucky.( unless your a brown noser or showed favoritism) You cant plan to do anything or go out of town because as soon as they say "Hey we will be on 48hours next week" by Monday afternoon they are saying "plan on being here 12 hours tomorrow and the rest of the week, probably Saturday morning also"
    Company forums/meetings are held every 3 months or so that over half of the employees do not even attend anymore because they are so sick and tired of hearing the same bull every time about company not making money, and that we are going back to regular hours soon. While our questions/concerns out of the comment boxed is just being swept under the rug.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees

Worked for Carbis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carbis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carbis CEO Samuel Carbis. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Carbis employees.