Carbonite Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
3.3

Carbonite Chairman, President, and CEO David Friend
David Friend

Overall great company that really cares about their employees and wants to develop and retain talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people all throughout the company. Lots of chances to meet others and socialize with coworkers. Work-life balance is great, with a take-it-as-you-need-it vacation policy and no strict 9-5 policy either. Above all, the company has a positive outlook, and this helps translates into the work for the present.

Cons

Projects aren't very groundbreaking and can get a bit boring.

Great tech company

I worked at Carbonite

Pros

Great vision for the future, excited to have joined the team.

Cons

Upgrading office space soon, will help with growth spurt.

Good until you get QA'd. Strict QA.

Former Employee - Technical Support - Tier I  in  Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Technical Support - Tier I in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool people to work with
    Experience under your belt
    Beer cart
    Pool table and video games in the break room
    An entire knowledge base internal and external to help you succeed
    Good scheduling (for my position and flexibility)
    Casual wear

Cons

After the 3 week training and less than a week listening to Calls, I tHought this would be the best job to work At... until I was fired after being cleared on calls 3 weeks later and Panned on My calls. QuAlity AssuraNce or QA scores are what will sink you. They will judge you based on the calls they hear. Even if you thought you did everything right, think again. I was QA'd then given a 15+ page document regarding how bad I am at my job. You onLy gEt bEtter at this job from experience, not training and a week of listening to calls. 2 weeks of listening to calls would have been better. WHen I wAs let go, they put my stuff in a box, my manageR with no personality (which begs the question how he eVen got the job to bEgin with) tells me that "there's plentY of places out there to work" to which I reply "like where?" And he answered "I dunno. I'm not from here." Can't please anyone in that place. You'll be the customer's hero 9/10 times, but you fail on every level according to QA. I bet the 20 (I believe) people in my class have disappeared once hitting the floor: 2 from training and 3 on the floor and counting. Those who can do the work, good luck dealing with the old QA guy.

But I'm ok now...

David Friend, you are a good CEO with an astounding company. Can't say the same for your team managers or QA people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasoned veteran of the call center world in Maine. Bay far, Carbonite provides the best overall package.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Imagine a company closing an India based call center to bring their support back to the US, knowing it will cost more to do so! Color me impressed. This is what drew me to the company initially, at a time when I was already gainfully employed. What has kept me here is the fantastic environment, awesome co-workers, exceptional benefits, and competitive pay. I've worked for several large call centers in various capacities, and this one by far is the best I have seen. Expectations are laid out for you, so you are in control of your own success. Those who learn this quickly do very well here. Those who call in sick often or are tardy do not last long here. Ultimately absenteeism hurts our customers and fellow co-workers. They deserve better than that. Besides, if you do not call in sick, you can use this time to take PLANNED time off.

Senior Leaders who have taken the reigns began their careers working in call centers. This means they understand what our Reps do every day, and the challenges they face. I can't stress how important that is, and how much of a positive impact it has had on morale. Senior Leaders are always willing to look at issues that arise. However, if you are complaining just for the sake of complaining, don't waste everyone's time. Along with your complaint, bring a possible solution to the table and watch how quickly the problem will go away.

Our benefits package is simply outstanding. Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, 401k with a company match, and lots more. Benefits also take effect on your first day of employment with Carbonite! Nowhere else have I experienced this.

By far, our Employee Referral Program is the best I have ever seen. Refer a candidate, and if they work out, you will be given a $1,000 bonus!

EVERY Team Manager in Lewiston started on the phones. Some folks willingly left managerial positions to start a career here and are now in Managerial positions.

Cons

The structured nature of a call center is not for everyone. Even though we have candidates listen to calls for 45 minutes, I am still amazed how many people do not understand what working in a call center means. No, you can not make your own schedule. Negativity and poor performance are not tolerated (which to me is a positive, but judging by some of the other reviews I think it is worth saying).

Continue soliciting feedback from the Reps who take care of our customers. They know what the common issues are and can help address issues before they become detrimental to the business.

Fabulous company to work for, if you like call center work.

I have been working at Carbonite

Pros

Good pay, great benefits. A relaxed atmosphere devoted to enhancing not only the customer experience but also the employee, in this way they are fairly progressive. Positive environment overall.

Cons

While the intentions are good, it's still a corporation which means change can be slow in coming, but they are honestly trying. They take employee suggestions and implement them eventually. Scheduling just plain sucks. People there for 6 months have more schedule options that those there for years. They say it's difficult to implement, but this simply isn't true with all the systems they have in place for tracking and stats. I do believe change is on the way.

There is an air of general superiority about the managers (a small minority) that isn't doing the company any favors. Get over yourselves! 95% of you are cool.

So great I came back for another round

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Carbonite is hands down the best place I've worked. In addition to being able to work with some of the smartest and more driven people it's ever been my pleasure to know Carbonite, more than any other company has shown a genuine interest in promoting and developing employees. If you're dedicated and passionate about developing your career Carbonite is the place to do it.

Cons

The coffee machine breaks a lot, they don't order enough pop tarts and you have to take the green line other than that it's the best job I ever had.

Keep finding smart people and keep moving them up and Carbonite will be a great place to work for a long time.

Also get coconut seltzer, it's really the only flavor we're lacking.

amazing opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Software Development Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and excel.
    You are free to take your chances
    Great people to work with.
    Good work culture and team
    Always keeps you motivated
    great monday breakfast

Cons

Boston wheather can be somewhat a problem in winters
    Office Space

Intern Sales

I worked at Carbonite

Pros

Very active work environment. Lots of freedom to pursue your own ideas with appropriate guidance from your superiors if you need you ask for it.

Cons

Sometimes i felt like there was a certain amount of lag time between projects. To be honest, this is to be expected of most summer internships though.

Worst company I have ever worked for (Lewiston)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to put Tech Support on your Resume.

Cons

-Supervisors don't care about you. They care about your numbers. If you ever get sick or snowed in, you will get written up. If it happens enough (which in Maine, getting snowed in is a given), you're fired.

-There's a reason they're always hiring. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone on the call floor that's been there more than a year. If they don't fire you, you'll get tired of being mistreated and quit. In a span of two weeks, 5 people from my row alone disappeared. One of which was a rare employee that had been here for over a year and had medical problems.

-Underhanded business practices. (Throttling upload speeds without notifying the customer, enabling auto-renew by default)

-The program is marketed to be able to step aside and not take up any resources. Watch your resource manager, especially on a Mac. Carbonite hogs a lot of power and can slow some computers to a crawl.

-You can get a perfect score from a customer and make them happy, but still get a fatal score from QA or your manager for any reason.

-They advertise Tier 1, 2 and 3 tech support. Tier 1 is being phased out and called Customer Service. It's the same job, but with more work since they got rid of the actual Customer Service role. Nipick: CS doesn't look as good as Tier 1 on a resume.

-Most Tier 2s are unqualified. They should have certifications and basic computer knowledge, but most of them got promoted for time dedicated to the company, not how skilled they are with computers. If you call in for tech support, be wary, they may do more harm than good. I fielded many a call from angry customers calling back. Luckily, there are a few Tier 2s that are good, and DID get promoted for having certifications and computer knowledge, but not nearly enough.

-The same can apply to Tier 1. The hiring managers have hired people that do not own computers to take on the role of tech support!

-We used to be able to help customers get their computer sorted out after they restore their files. Not anymore. As soon as your files are back, we're supposed to forward you to support.com, a terrible remote support company that has hurt more than they've helped.

-Training. You're promised over a month of training. Many classes were given 2 weeks.

David Friend: Not sure if you're aware of all the above or not, but considering you're stepping down when most of this is coming to light is sending the wrong message.

To the supervisors of the call center floor and management: Start treating your employees and customers like people instead of trying to get low numbers and people would want to work there longer. Look at literally every call center in the US and India; you already have the best wait times. Why are you so mean to your teams?

Carbonite Response

Jun 2, 2014Senior People Strategy Manager

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. We work diligently with each employee that is having difficulties with their employment and encourage you to reach out directly to our Director or VP of ... More

A broken company searching for a long term solution

I have been working at Carbonite

Pros

Dress code is casual. Lots of good people but its impossible to really get to know anyone as to be seen socializing usually draws reprimand.

Cons

Company is broken on every level. The internal systems are so cumbersome that you'd swear it was designed by an 8th grader. The training is terrible. Essentially if you are looking for technical experience move on. This company depends solely on what you already know and teaches you nothing in a technical sense. Managers only care about their numbers and payouts, and are inaccessible. To get any help you must chat to a help desk that is inadequate and worthless.

The company promotes alcohol abuse, it is common for alcohol to be used openly by employees during business hours. If you are in recovery stay away.

They dont train employees and all ongoing changes to systems policies and procedures are distributed via memo and never in a practical situation. It is a grind house and unless you drink and drug with the managers you have no chance at advancement. Managers date employees and give favors and advancement opportunities right out in the open.

The job primarily consists of helping Octogenarians to reset their passwords and update credit card information, but you supposed to be a technical support agent.

Engage your employees. Have daily team meetings. Stop training via memo. When all the old people die off your company will fai.

Worked for Carbonite? Contribute to the Community!