Carbonite Reviews

Reset
3.4
Carbonite President & CEO Mohamad Ali
Mohamad Ali

Pros
  • The company pays a portion of the vending maching price to keep the costs for employees down, thess are GREAT benefits in my opinion (in 3 reviews)

• Goal of support group is world-class customer service (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Tier 1 is being phased out and called Customer Service (in 3 reviews)

• Upgrading office space soon, will help with growth spurt (in 3 reviews)

1. Good Company, Great Pay

Pros

Was a great company to work for. Everyone is the office is very friendly, but knows what they need to do. Managers are flexible but expect you to get your work done and meet quotas. Compensation is above average.

Cons

Over time is often expected. Taking days off is looked down upon when you have numbers to meet.

2. Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Carbonite has a lot of nice benefits like: - unlimited vacation - flexible schedules - free lunch on Fridays and breakfast on Mondays, unlimited snacks (with healthy choices) - competitive salaries - nice 401k match, excellent heath care plan, commuter benefits, etc. People are really smart and the business environment is very casual. I would say the organizational structure is pretty flat and employees of all levels can talk to C-level executives freely. The Star Wars themes are really awesome too.

Cons

As any other company, they have a few areas of improvement: - The company is slow to react to market changes - Products haven't been overhauled in a while so they tend to look outdated - Mid-senior and a few executives don't have passion for the products (at least the CEO seems to have it). This represents a challenge for innovation and speed to market.

Advice to Management

Give more career opportunities to people, give them a path to gain experience and learn other areas. Embrace change rather than embracing the status quo.

3. If you need a job..

Former Employee - IT Support in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT Support in Rochester, NY

I worked at Carbonite (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for the area, and good benefits.

Cons

Its a call center job, simple as that. Very poor pass-down of information Not a lot of "listening" to the workers They are generally always hiring, the attrition rate is extremely high

Advice to Management

Need to work WITH your workers, not around them.

5. Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation; quarterly bonuses; free snacks, b'fast, lunch; some very smart people in leadership roles;

Cons

Some very inexperienced, non-visionary people in leadership roles.

Advice to Management

Be riskier, act more startup-like. Hire better qualified leadership positions.

6. Dynamic work place!

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very cool space, wide open, and collaborative. Close to South Station for easy commute. Smart people working on projects that help people and businesses survive data catastrophes. Great pay for engineering positions, and lots of room to grow. Free breakfast on Mondays and lunch on Fridays, and all the drinks and snacks you can handle.

Cons

Commute was not easy during major snowstorms last winter, and parking is expensive in this neighborhood. Easy to gain 10 pounds in a hurry with all the free food around here.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the fresh fruit, breakfasts, and lunches, but some healthier snacks in the snack drawers would be good, perhaps some nuts.

7. Stock price is more important than tech investments

Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small technical teams, regular problem solving. Office and Datacenter locations are easy to reach. New office space is very nice and has good amenities. Regular quarterly company outings and in-house events.

Cons

Generally very mundane work; little project work that involves new technology. Constantly putting band-aids on the storage and network backend instead of making an investment to fix and provide a solid growth platform. Little to no growth in the technical track other than changing levels (but not titles). Very easy to stop growing professionally as there is little career guidance from mid-level managers. Only expect a decent raise if you put in 80+ hrs a week constantly.

Advice to Management

Look forward instead of down with technology purchases/decisions. Stop being cheap and invest in your data storage and network platforms. Hire mid-level management that has people management skills.

8. One of Maine's Best Places to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee focused. Carbonite (Lewiston) fills over 92% of non Support positions internally so lots of room for growth. Benefits are superior to any company I have worked for (including large corporations). People here are welcomed despite being different, or a little geeky. First place I have seen where being a "techno geek" is welcomed and even encouraged! Voted one of Maine's Best Places to work in 2014.

Cons

Every con i have seen in the past 4 years has been addressed and in ways I never expected. What is a con today will not be tomorrow. You can bank on that. We made the Best Places to Work in Maine list last year after failing horribly 2 years ago. Changes in leadership staff and a commitment to making the company more employee focused are the reason in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep remembering the folks who are the front line with our customers. Our current leaders do this daily and it has paid off in a big way. Touring candidates through the center is a pleasure. Every single candidate sees for themselves that everyone is happy, and wants to be here.

9. Huge Growth Opportunities!

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been fortunate enough to be a part of Carbonite from pre-IPO status to a flourishing business. Every day is different; nothing gets stale or boring. I look forward to coming into work each day and facing new challenges. You are not just a name or a number here - and Carbonite takes care to show that through wellness (blood drives, financial planning, chair massages, blood pressure checks, manicures at your desk, and much, much more) and work-life balance. There is a generous PTO policy, allowing employees to both work hard and play hard. Managers trust their employees to get the job done and care about job enrichment and promotional opportunities. I have been promoted twice in my four years here and continue to learn and grow each day!

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but change is constant as we continue to develop and grow the business. While this is something I thrive on, people that are resistant or uncomfortable with change may have challenges to overcome.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. Great company with great benefits

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a couple years here, I still enjoy work every day. The people are very friendly, there's a good team spirit and the benefits are very generous. These include good salary, bonus, stock grants, food and flexible work environment (read: working from home) As a technical employee, I can say that Carbonite values their engineers!

Cons

The business wants to recapture some of the company's early growth rate, but they can't seem to settle on one way to get there, so the goals sometime feel a bit schizophrenic.

Advice to Management

Pick a plan and execute well and we'll hit those goals!

11. You could do much worse than to work for Carbonite.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

Pros

It's the Google of the East Coast. We're a bit tigher with our money out here so they don't pay as well as those silicon valley crazies nor do we have the outrageous, Caligula-worthy benefits like electric scooters or slides instead of stairs. But we are paid a decent wage (far superior to most opportunities in the area) and we have decent benefits and even some perks like free coffee, a games room, etc. Lots of good people - that's the best perk of all.

Cons

I guess... it's not Google.

Advice to Management

Increase budget for support - explain to the board that support as a department should not need to bring in additional money - it is already doing this hand over fist by retaining customers. Increase budgeting for training and pay everyone a little more as this is invaluable to our business model's success.

RSS Feed </> Embed