Carbonite

Carbonite Chairman, President, and CEO David Friend
David Friend

GoodCompany

I have been working at Carbonite

Pros

I think its a good company

Cons

still need some work but overall still great company

A Micromanaged Pawn in a Sea of Narcissism

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are not unemployed, brah!

Cons

Be prepared to be micromanaged. Narcissism is the core of the management. Management will take credit for positive results, and then shift the blame to the agents for negative results. Training is a whirlwind of 98% customer service and 2% technical troubleshooting. It's 90% about how well-liked you are here, and 10% about experience and knowledge. Don't be labeled as someone who is not progressing in this conformation, or your job will be unbearable. Other co-workers can like you, but watch out if management does not. Customers can praise you, and you can get 100% satisfaction rate from customers, but still fail horribly in the eyes of management and quality assurance. If management is on your good side, you will do just fine here. You should be eager to conform to this fact. Your schedule will continually change as business needs dictate. You are not given a choice of schedule until shift bids come around. Many of these shift bids are required, even if you want to keep your current schedule. Even then, there is no guarantee you will get the shift you desire. If you do get the shift you wanted during the shift bid process, it will change within six months or less. If you work a closing shift, you are 98% guaranteed to never get out of work on time due to either long queues, or last minute callers.

Reboot the entire management, and promote based on experience. Don't be hypocritical by telling agents not to do something when you do the exact same things.

Always striving to improve

Current Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership is very interested in growing the company and the people. If you are someone with drive and good ideas, you will get support in your endeavors. Very concerned with customer feedback and always looking to improve based on customer input. Flexible time off. Flex schedule.

Cons

The turnover rate seems high which can be a challenge. Need a better chat/video conference system for working with people in other offices. T-Pass/Parking not covered.

I would like to attract a new CTO with focuses on operations, architecture, and security.

Overall great company that really cares about their employees and wants to develop and retain talent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart people all throughout the company. Lots of chances to meet others and socialize with coworkers. Work-life balance is great, with a take-it-as-you-need-it vacation policy and no strict 9-5 policy either. Above all, the company has a positive outlook, and this helps translates into the work for the present.

Cons

Projects aren't very groundbreaking and can get a bit boring.

Great tech company

I worked at Carbonite

Pros

Great vision for the future, excited to have joined the team.

Cons

Upgrading office space soon, will help with growth spurt.

Good until you get QA'd. Strict QA.

Former Employee - Technical Support - Tier I in Lewiston, ME
    Former Employee - Technical Support - Tier I in Lewiston, ME

I worked at Carbonite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool people to work with
    Experience under your belt
    Beer cart
    Pool table and video games in the break room
    An entire knowledge base internal and external to help you succeed
    Good scheduling (for my position and flexibility)
    Casual wear

Cons

After the 3 week training and less than a week listening to Calls, I tHought this would be the best job to work At... until I was fired after being cleared on calls 3 weeks later and Panned on My calls. QuAlity AssuraNce or QA scores are what will sink you. They will judge you based on the calls they hear. Even if you thought you did everything right, think again. I was QA'd then given a 15+ page document regarding how bad I am at my job. You onLy gEt bEtter at this job from experience, not training and a week of listening to calls. 2 weeks of listening to calls would have been better. WHen I wAs let go, they put my stuff in a box, my manageR with no personality (which begs the question how he eVen got the job to bEgin with) tells me that "there's plentY of places out there to work" to which I reply "like where?" And he answered "I dunno. I'm not from here." Can't please anyone in that place. You'll be the customer's hero 9/10 times, but you fail on every level according to QA. I bet the 20 (I believe) people in my class have disappeared once hitting the floor: 2 from training and 3 on the floor and counting. Those who can do the work, good luck dealing with the old QA guy.

But I'm ok now...

David Friend, you are a good CEO with an astounding company. Can't say the same for your team managers or QA people.

Seasoned veteran of the call center world in Maine. Bay far, Carbonite provides the best overall package.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imagine a company closing an India based call center to bring their support back to the US, knowing it will cost more to do so! Color me impressed. This is what drew me to the company initially, at a time when I was already gainfully employed. What has kept me here is the fantastic environment, awesome co-workers, exceptional benefits, and competitive pay. I've worked for several large call centers in various capacities, and this one by far is the best I have seen. Expectations are laid out for you, so you are in control of your own success. Those who learn this quickly do very well here. Those who call in sick often or are tardy do not last long here. Ultimately absenteeism hurts our customers and fellow co-workers. They deserve better than that. Besides, if you do not call in sick, you can use this time to take PLANNED time off.

Senior Leaders who have taken the reigns began their careers working in call centers. This means they understand what our Reps do every day, and the challenges they face. I can't stress how important that is, and how much of a positive impact it has had on morale. Senior Leaders are always willing to look at issues that arise. However, if you are complaining just for the sake of complaining, don't waste everyone's time. Along with your complaint, bring a possible solution to the table and watch how quickly the problem will go away.

Our benefits package is simply outstanding. Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, 401k with a company match, and lots more. Benefits also take effect on your first day of employment with Carbonite! Nowhere else have I experienced this.

By far, our Employee Referral Program is the best I have ever seen. Refer a candidate, and if they work out, you will be given a $1,000 bonus!

EVERY Team Manager in Lewiston started on the phones. Some folks willingly left managerial positions to start a career here and are now in Managerial positions.

Cons

The structured nature of a call center is not for everyone. Even though we have candidates listen to calls for 45 minutes, I am still amazed how many people do not understand what working in a call center means. No, you can not make your own schedule. Negativity and poor performance are not tolerated (which to me is a positive, but judging by some of the other reviews I think it is worth saying).

Continue soliciting feedback from the Reps who take care of our customers. They know what the common issues are and can help address issues before they become detrimental to the business.

Fabulous company to work for, if you like call center work.

I have been working at Carbonite

Pros

Good pay, great benefits. A relaxed atmosphere devoted to enhancing not only the customer experience but also the employee, in this way they are fairly progressive. Positive environment overall.

Cons

While the intentions are good, it's still a corporation which means change can be slow in coming, but they are honestly trying. They take employee suggestions and implement them eventually. Scheduling just plain sucks. People there for 6 months have more schedule options that those there for years. They say it's difficult to implement, but this simply isn't true with all the systems they have in place for tracking and stats. I do believe change is on the way.

There is an air of general superiority about the managers (a small minority) that isn't doing the company any favors. Get over yourselves! 95% of you are cool.

So great I came back for another round

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Carbonite is hands down the best place I've worked. In addition to being able to work with some of the smartest and more driven people it's ever been my pleasure to know Carbonite, more than any other company has shown a genuine interest in promoting and developing employees. If you're dedicated and passionate about developing your career Carbonite is the place to do it.

Cons

The coffee machine breaks a lot, they don't order enough pop tarts and you have to take the green line other than that it's the best job I ever had.

Keep finding smart people and keep moving them up and Carbonite will be a great place to work for a long time.

Also get coconut seltzer, it's really the only flavor we're lacking.

amazing opportunity to learn

Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn and excel.
    You are free to take your chances
    Great people to work with.
    Good work culture and team
    Always keeps you motivated
    great monday breakfast

Cons

Boston wheather can be somewhat a problem in winters
    Office Space