Carbonite

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Carbonite Chairman, President, and CEO David Friend

David Friend

Great tech company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat vision for the future, excited to have joined the team.

ConsUpgrading office space soon, will help with growth spurt.

Seasoned veteran of the call center world in Maine. Bay far, Carbonite provides the best overall package.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lewiston, ME

ProsImagine a company closing an India based call center to bring their support back to the US, knowing it will cost more to do so! Color me impressed. This is what drew me to the company initially, at a time when I was already gainfully employed. What has kept me here is the fantastic environment, awesome co-workers, exceptional benefits, and competitive pay. I've worked for several large call centers in various capacities, and this one by far is the best I have seen. Expectations are laid out for you, so you are in control of your own success. Those who learn this quickly do very well here. Those who call in sick often or are tardy do not last long here. Ultimately absenteeism hurts our customers and fellow co-workers. They deserve better than that. Besides, if you do not call in sick, you can use this time to take PLANNED time off.

Senior Leaders who have taken the reigns began their careers working in call centers. This means they understand what our Reps do every day, and the challenges they face. I can't stress how important that is, and how much of a positive impact it has had on morale. Senior Leaders are always willing to look at issues that arise. However, if you are complaining just for the sake of complaining, don't waste everyone's time. Along with your complaint, bring a possible solution to the table and watch how quickly the problem will go away.

Our benefits package is simply outstanding. Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, 401k with a company match, and lots more. Benefits also take effect on your first day of employment with Carbonite! Nowhere else have I experienced this.

By far, our Employee Referral Program is the best I have ever seen. Refer a candidate, and if they work out, you will be given a $1,000 bonus!

EVERY Team Manager in Lewiston started on the phones. Some folks willingly left managerial positions to start a career here and are now in Managerial positions.

ConsThe structured nature of a call center is not for everyone. Even though we have candidates listen to calls for 45 minutes, I am still amazed how many people do not understand what working in a call center means. No, you can not make your own schedule. Negativity and poor performance are not tolerated (which to me is a positive, but judging by some of the other reviews I think it is worth saying).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue soliciting feedback from the Reps who take care of our customers. They know what the common issues are and can help address issues before they become detrimental to the business.

Worst company I have ever worked for (Lewiston)

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lewiston, ME

ProsYou get to put Tech Support on your Resume.

Cons-Supervisors don't care about you. They care about your numbers. If you ever get sick or snowed in, you will get written up. If it happens enough (which in Maine, getting snowed in is a given), you're fired.

-There's a reason they're always hiring. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone on the call floor that's been there more than a year. If they don't fire you, you'll get tired of being mistreated and quit. In a span of two weeks, 5 people from my row alone disappeared. One of which was a rare employee that had been here for over a year and had medical problems.

-Underhanded business practices. (Throttling upload speeds without notifying the customer, enabling auto-renew by default)

-The program is marketed to be able to step aside and not take up any resources. Watch your resource manager, especially on a Mac. Carbonite hogs a lot of power and can slow some computers to a crawl.

-You can get a perfect score from a customer and make them happy, but still get a fatal score from QA or your manager for any reason.

-They advertise Tier 1, 2 and 3 tech support. Tier 1 is being phased out and called Customer Service. It's the same job, but with more work since they got rid of the actual Customer Service role. Nipick: CS doesn't look as good as Tier 1 on a resume.

-Most Tier 2s are unqualified. They should have certifications and basic computer knowledge, but most of them got promoted for time dedicated to the company, not how skilled they are with computers. If you call in for tech support, be wary, they may do more harm than good. I fielded many a call from angry customers calling back. Luckily, there are a few Tier 2s that are good, and DID get promoted for having certifications and computer knowledge, but not nearly enough.

-The same can apply to Tier 1. The hiring managers have hired people that do not own computers to take on the role of tech support!

-We used to be able to help customers get their computer sorted out after they restore their files. Not anymore. As soon as your files are back, we're supposed to forward you to support.com, a terrible remote support company that has hurt more than they've helped.

-Training. You're promised over a month of training. Many classes were given 2 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementDavid Friend: Not sure if you're aware of all the above or not, but considering you're stepping down when most of this is coming to light is sending the wrong message.

To the supervisors of the call center floor and management: Start treating your employees and customers like people instead of trying to get low numbers and people would want to work there longer. Look at literally every call center in the US and India; you already have the best wait times. Why are you so mean to your teams?

Carbonite Response

Jun 2, 2014Senior People Strategy Manager

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. We work diligently with each employee that is having difficulties with their employment and encourage you to reach out directly to our Director or VP of ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fabulous company to work for, if you like call center work.

ProsGood pay, great benefits. A relaxed atmosphere devoted to enhancing not only the customer experience but also the employee, in this way they are fairly progressive. Positive environment overall.

ConsWhile the intentions are good, it's still a corporation which means change can be slow in coming, but they are honestly trying. They take employee suggestions and implement them eventually. Scheduling just plain sucks. People there for 6 months have more schedule options that those there for years. They say it's difficult to implement, but this simply isn't true with all the systems they have in place for tracking and stats. I do believe change is on the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an air of general superiority about the managers (a small minority) that isn't doing the company any favors. Get over yourselves! 95% of you are cool.

So great I came back for another round

Inside Sales Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCarbonite is hands down the best place I've worked. In addition to being able to work with some of the smartest and more driven people it's ever been my pleasure to know Carbonite, more than any other company has shown a genuine interest in promoting and developing employees. If you're dedicated and passionate about developing your career Carbonite is the place to do it.

ConsThe coffee machine breaks a lot, they don't order enough pop tarts and you have to take the green line other than that it's the best job I ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep finding smart people and keep moving them up and Carbonite will be a great place to work for a long time.

Also get coconut seltzer, it's really the only flavor we're lacking.

amazing opportunity to learn

Software Development Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to learn and excel.
    You are free to take your chances
    Great people to work with.
    Good work culture and team
    Always keeps you motivated
    great monday breakfast

ConsBoston wheather can be somewhat a problem in winters
    Office Space

Intern Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery active work environment. Lots of freedom to pursue your own ideas with appropriate guidance from your superiors if you need you ask for it.

ConsSometimes i felt like there was a certain amount of lag time between projects. To be honest, this is to be expected of most summer internships though.

A broken company searching for a long term solution

ProsDress code is casual. Lots of good people but its impossible to really get to know anyone as to be seen socializing usually draws reprimand.

ConsCompany is broken on every level. The internal systems are so cumbersome that you'd swear it was designed by an 8th grader. The training is terrible. Essentially if you are looking for technical experience move on. This company depends solely on what you already know and teaches you nothing in a technical sense. Managers only care about their numbers and payouts, and are inaccessible. To get any help you must chat to a help desk that is inadequate and worthless.

The company promotes alcohol abuse, it is common for alcohol to be used openly by employees during business hours. If you are in recovery stay away.

They dont train employees and all ongoing changes to systems policies and procedures are distributed via memo and never in a practical situation. It is a grind house and unless you drink and drug with the managers you have no chance at advancement. Managers date employees and give favors and advancement opportunities right out in the open.

The job primarily consists of helping Octogenarians to reset their passwords and update credit card information, but you supposed to be a technical support agent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage your employees. Have daily team meetings. Stop training via memo. When all the old people die off your company will fai.

Agree with "overall dissatisfied"

Tech Support (Current Employee) Lewiston, ME

ProsGood coworkers, always hiring.

ConsManagement, micromanaging, focusing solely on numbers and not their employees. They promote customer service but that needs to start on an employee basis and work it's way outward. When approached with a problem, managers took a "too bad" attitude instead of working to resolve the issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease read the review on Jan 29, 2014 entitled "a normal unsatisfied experience". They relay the information perfectly.

In addition, be educated about the company, if you are a manager you should know policies and how the company works.

Interesting overall and a good place to be.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of intelligent and interesting coworkers. Fairly good opportunities for growth. Supportive structure for learning and experimenting. Genuinely exciting market opportunity in near future.

ConsInfrastructure could use some serious love and investment. Extremely tight schedules for chasing quarterly numbers. A technical leadership vacuum for a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore strategic investments with longer time horizons than 3-6 months. Focus more on a few select projects rather than trying to tackle everything at once.

Worked for Carbonite? Contribute to the Community!