Card Factory

3.1

Card Factory CEO Richard Hayes
Richard Hayes

Good company

Current Employee - Temporary Sales Assistant in Burton, East Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Card Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great laughs with other staff, lovely atmosphere, learn valuable experience

Cons

Unsure when will get paid, weekly or not? Customers can be nasty and rude, main staff expect you to do all the work

Make it clear when people will get paid

It's ok

Current Employee - Customer Service/Tills in Andover, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Tills in Andover, England (UK)

I have been working at Card Factory part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm happy there for a short time. Couldn't do full time.

Cons

I have no idea of Sunday pay? I'm a Christmas temp but am I entitled to it? If not its a Sunday, EVERYONE should get sunday pay no matter the job.

Pick your staff more carefully. The amount of staff I have seen come and go over my short time there is appalling.

Don't look after their staff, excessive shifts and expectations, all on minimum wage

Former Employee - General Checkout/Stock/Cleaning in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Checkout/Stock/Cleaning in London, England (UK)

I worked at Card Factory (less than an year)

Pros

Hmm... I'm sure there are some pros somewhere. Possibly for someone at college (or having just left) this is a reasonable "carry me over" job to get a bit of money (although that itself is floored as they seem to expect anyone who is available any day, any time at drop of a hat), or to maybe brush up some retail skills and fill a CV gap whilst looking for "better" work, but beyond that, this is a job on minimum wage with no real future and not a particularly nice company to work for.

Cons

Where to start... they basically don't look after their staff.
    For people working in minimum wage, they milk a LOT from you. I enjoy hard work and don't mind putting in hours, but they are very tight on employing enough people for the working day, especially during busy periods such as Christmas. Shifts are lengthy and brakes (unless you smoke!) just to catch your breath are non-existent! Lengthy shifts are fine if you at least know what you're tackling, if it's reasonable, and if you have adequate staff to accomplish it!
    They have workers under the thumb as they know there are people who need work, they pay minimum wage and have you firmly under the thumb - and if you walk, you are easily replaceable.
    Staff can be a mixed bunch due to the often high turnover (not a good sign!) and basically employing anyone legal they can get. Some are really good people and there can be a bonding of a "us against them (the company)" type if nothing else, but this also means that there are a lot of slackers and 'dead wood' that are also employed that contribute very little but which are very seldom disciplined on it.
    Worst part of the day is preparing the shop for the following day, which can often take 3 or 4 hours on a typical busy season night. After working a 6-odd hour shift anyway, this should really be given to another shift of workers and is excessive. Despite any extra time or effort you put in, you'll never get paid more than your basic minimum wage.
    General running of the company is shoddy and pretty depressing. No real future, no incentive to enjoy what you do (beyond the basics of if you enjoy engaging with customers - which many of their employees don't!), very little in terms of staff discipline (often talking over customers or even about customers, lacking basic courtesy), never any team meetings to address any issues or concerns. Staff support on the shop for (manager of supervisor in case of issue on the shop floor - they're often nowhere to be found as they too are given too much at once) is almost non-existent and can sometimes make for heated scenes from customers if there is a problem.
    I've done various jobs over the years, particularly around Christmas, just to get some extra money, and whilst most of them aren't that great simply because of what they are, Card Factory is probably one of the worst employers I've worked for. If you desperately need the money they'll likely employ you, but otherwise not recommended.

Look after your staff. Review what you are asking them to do (especially considering the lengthy shifts and hard work compared to very low pay), and most importantly make sure you have adequate staff (both numbers and ability) to reasonably function.
    Shop prep at end of day needs extra staff or preferably different shift staff, particularly in peak seasons such as Christmas, as these demands can be excessive.

Worst job ever

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Card Factory (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes flexible with shifts, made some lifelong friends.

Cons

Where to start...! No air conditioning so it's unbearably hot in the summer. It was 34°c behind the till and we weren't even allowed to have bottles of water on the shop floor.

Management treat you like dirt, nothing is ever good enough. So much unpaid overtime it's disgusting. You are made to arrive 15 mins before your shift to count your till etc and your till doesn't get taken off until your shift ends so you end up leaving 15 mins late.

As the assistant manager, if I did something wrong I was made to come in the next day UNPAID to fix it. Pay only starts when the shop opens and not before so you end up doing half an hour's worth of paperwork/counting the safe unpaid.

You are not allowed to have a life. They will phone you to come in with less than an hour's notice and get really shirty if you can't do it.

No proper training given to staff, you're expected to just get on with it. You're never allowed to have breaks. The manahet will fudge the rota so you can end up doing 10-5 without a break on a sunday.

I have never worked anywhere so horrible. Area managers constantly breathing down your neck. You're expected to pull off a massive shop change round with 2 staff in.

Assistant manager's wage is 8p more than minimum wage so it's hardly worth doing. Supervisor gets a total of 48p extra for running the shop on a sunday.

Disgraceful.

Sort out your payscale, it's insulting! Get some proper air conditioning and start giving your staff breaks! Stop changing the shop round every week and stop expecting miracles when there's hardly any staff in.

Okay

I have been working at Card Factory

Pros

Very good and sympathetic manager
    Love dealing with customers
    Till work is easy

Cons

Dislike negative co workers
    Bad pay
    Heavy lifting
    Over worked
    Lazy staff

Fix your rotas
    Employ more people

Only care about the money not the staff

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Card Factory part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made some friends for life

Cons

Was locked inside doing stock take when smoke started pouring into the shop, asked for a fire engine and to be let out numerous times before it happened, when it did happen I arranged my lift home and then the manager came and told us all to finish stock take even tho it was a clear danger to my health, i went home. the 3 months I worked there afterwards were awkward with the manager because of this. The shop was all girl staff so we were stolen from a lot too. I was also told that my contract ran out in June and it would be renewed in July so I never made any savings as I assumed I was still employed. I was ignored by my manager until I went into the store to see what was going on; he panicked as he knew he had been ignoring me and told me he never had the hours, this would have been fine if I would have been told, I have now been struggling with money for months. In addition £10 was taken from my last pay check for not brining my uniform back in even though I didn't know I had to as I assumed I was still employed. Christmas temp uniform is second hand which is vile. In my opinion the main concern is the money made not the general well being of the staff. I have also never actually been trained properly, I only know how to use the till and fill out cards so even after 3 years of working for card factory when I go to do shifts in other stores I'm a laughing stock.

Care more about your staff as they're the people who are actually making you money and don't use second hand uniforms as it's disgusting

not the worst company out there!

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Card Factory part-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you have a good team, time flies.

Cons

min wage, long hours, expect too much.

need to realise that people have a life outside work.

Appalling. Management in-store are rude. Pay is not good enough.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Card Factory full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Busy throughout seasons so keeps you on your toes.
    Company Pension(although could be a better input from the company itself, other companies double the contribution that the staff puts in.)

Cons

Company Values
    Staff Treatment
    Pay
    Time off(Most companies give an allowance for general sick days)

I think that your store management need some training in staff communication, the way that certain managers speak to their staff is disgusting.
    Teach managers compassion.
    Management do not get paid enough for what they are asked to do.

Fab, fast paced which is what I love, love going that extra mile.

I have been working at Card Factory

Pros

Only worked for 7 weeks but feel that I have been there for ages. Settled in well its a new store and it's doing great. When your main aim is to try your best and make every customer feel they get your undivided attention ( if needed ) then that's what I call a good days work. Go walkden !

Cons

Sometimes hard always getting your jobs done when your number one priority is your customers.

Maximise staff when new store opening, more staff makes for happy customers, less waiting time for customers, first impressions count.

Great for students, but that's about it.

Former Employee - Supervisor/Sales Assistant in Bangor, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Sales Assistant in Bangor, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Card Factory part-time (more than an year)

Pros

late nights opening great for students - can work after class etc.. not a lot of training required, good product ranges and well priced.. fundraising for macmillan brill (should be done more often)

Cons

double pay never exists - bank holidays/Christmas/new years
    very little training - no opportunities to have proper training with certificates in health and safety etc
    very high staff turnover rate. perhaps this was just in the store I worked in, but had more than a handful of managers during my 2 years working with the company - makes it difficult to ever work well as a team, staff always coming and going.
    staff discount - good that its there but should be higher than 10% for the hard slog that is put in by the staff and supervisors. 9am-2am wasn't unknown during xmas prep periods.
    area managers - on a serious power trip, put ridiculous pressure on managers (no wonder the staff turnover rate is so high) need trained better on how to manage themselves and staff
    career opportunities - supervisor pay around 20p extra an hour than minimum wage .. why bother taking on those responsibilities and the pressure for so little pay.. yes it looks good on CV but is it really worth it?! also was told what my manager at the time earned per year and almost keeled over - no where near enough to compensate the amount of stress she was put under by senior management .. so much so she barely ate during the day, did double shifts, barely slept at night, lost a lot of weight due to stress and even encountered her in tears.

better training opportunitie.. diploma/H&S certificates
    better compensation pay - double pay on bank holidays and around xmas & new year.. also should be time and a half for any hours worked after core opening hours
    higher supervisor & manager pay

Card Factory Photos

Andover - Card Factory (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Talbot, Some Rights Reserved)
Card Factory - Main Street (Photo thanks to Geograph user Betty Longbottom, Some Rights Reserved)
Card Factory - Salter Row (Photo thanks to Geograph user Betty Longbottom, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo