Card Factory

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Card Factory CEO Richard Hayes

Richard Hayes

Sales Assistant (cashieer)

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Sheffield, England (UK)

Prosits good pay and you get to meet and make friends and the people you work with are all friendly and you get to know your customers. its very proffesional, its such a great environment to work in. its cheap but quality goods. quick but friendly and proffesional approach and service for people who are shopping there.

Consit does get quite busy and its harder to finish one job before being asked to do something else.

challenging and fast paced

Middlesbrough, England (UK)

Proslovely co-workers and nice management.

Conscompany should reward long standing staff with a small pay rise,also far too much paperwork when not necessary,apart from that is a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior Managementinstall air conditioning in some of the shops that don't have it as get a lot of customers complaining about the heat,customers would browse longer.

its very busy but enjoyable

Connahs Quay, Wales (UK)

Prosthe staff all get on i enjoy the busy times but also enjoy the days i get of the hours suit me round my familyj

Consit can be very challaging at christmas and all sesons but it can also be a relaxing place as in you can get a drink when needed ect

Advice to Senior Managementshould reward staff more for there hard work and not just management as we are the ones that strive to make higher sales

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not the best

Sales Assistant (O Hour) (Current Employee)

Prosif your lucky enough to get a great team of staff you can gain friends for life

ConsHEAT HEAT HEAT! in this day and age where most if not all high street chains have air conditioning, card factory stores usually don't, and in a store where the average browsing time can be 15 minimum for customers it is a huge problem,. all day complaints from customers can be heard " this shop is so hot. how can you work in this heat",. and that's on top of the several people that "faint" after being overcome by heat while browsing for cards,. for an employee it can be torture having to work while sweating buckets all day with little ventilation, and employees have been know to become unwell while working in the store because of the heat during the summer months. other cons include a relatively low rate of pay (national minimum) and a salary for management staff that can easily be earned as a sales assistant in other companies, also far to much paperwork and outdated administration systems, company is very slow to repond to requests from stores , uniform for example

Advice to Senior Managementplease embark on a program of repairing or installing air conditioning into stores,. it really is the minimum that can be expected in this day and age

Staffing and atmosphere

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're lucky enough to find a mixed bag of happy-go-lucky colleagues, then you'll have a great time. It'll be simple work, but at least you can have a laugh. Just don't take it seriously. See Cons:

ConsThe heat, the broad biggotry, the inadequate payroll office, the poor pay tracking, the two-facedness, the extremely bad communication between senior and junior staff, the mildly insulting nature of staff to customers, the isolated failure to treat customers in a valued way, the complete lack of charisma and enthusiasm, the near total ignorance of proper sales techniques, the indignate complaining, the non-existent Health and Safety training for Taskmasters, the equally inapparent First Aid training or service to long standing staff, the dangerous over stocking of multiple stock rooms and inappropriate tools for jobs at some sites, the disproportionate pressure against individuals to retrieve over-sized order deliveries, the sexism, the sexual harassment, the questionable security protocols, the insistence to arrive 15-30 minutes before the start of one's shift unpaid, the miserable rate of pay and contract hours, the necessity to keep staff numbers as low as possible - this list can continue.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressure your superiors to do something about the unbearable heat in the stores, and stop over stocking. Far too many customers are complaining about it, and some of our customers are pregnant. Just this week I've seen a handful of customers approach the doors, state it's too hot in the shops, and leave. Furthermore, more deliveries per month is better than 3 in one day. No matter how good your lifting technique is, you'll still struggle lifting 18-32Kg up several flights of stairs. You need more staff, more hours, and transparent training opportunities instead of this closed-door-operation you have running.

I loved working at the card factory in coventry

Coventry, England (UK)

Prosmy boss Amy was brill!
    met lots of new people
    friendly colleagues
    friendly customers

Consvery very busy around December (understandably)
    gets very hot as quite a small shop

Advice to Senior ManagementKEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!! although the tills can be a pain sometimes :)

Great company to work for.

Shop Assistant (Former Employee)
    Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales (UK)

ProsI love working at the shop in Gwynedd, great bunch of girls. The hours worked around the children. I was put on sick for a few week, and when i was ready to start back, we had a meeting on what the company could do to make it all easier for me.. I was really sorry I finished at Card Factory.

ConsHeavy lifting of boxes and taking them up stairs..

Advice to Senior ManagementCarry on as you are, you all do a fantastic job.
    Get a bigger shop in Bangor, Gwynedd..

seasonal work is fun work

Customer Assistant (Former Employee)
    Romford, England (UK)

ProsQuality merchandise at low value prices, which I loved selling and being the face of. Great people to work with more like friends than colleagues. My manager was lovely and has employed me for two Christmases running now and no doubt if I need it Il be back this year too. 10% discount for employees and holiday pay every month instead of taking holidays, its not allowed for seasonal workers. I love working there when I get hours and find it quite enjoyable.

Cons0 Hour contract is terrible because when there is no special occasions you don't get no work because they don't get given any extra hours for you, even though the shop is still quite busy most of the time. All temp seasonal contracts end in June unless your manager has no more work for you they can end even earlier. Permanent shop assistants on average only get a minimum of 4 hours per week contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore full time (30 hours +) positions for permanent shop assistant staff.

It's an easy job with some challenging customers, more mundane tasks are required from you but it's enjoyable working t

Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsIt's a great team of staff, all friendly and the store managers are nice people.

ConsYou'll be put on a 0 hour contract and get on average 3 hours a month and the most basic of wages. so if you're 18 it will be £5.05 which means you can not pay for university fees or car insurance which is extortionate

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap 0 hour contracts and give a more competitive rate of pay.

Meh had its moments

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly staff to work with, hours suited to a point Decent shifts when available

ConsManager said that there was not enough time to train me up on tills yet employed other people after me and they got trained and was old enough to be taught so couldn't use that excuse, was told of when I was a bit slow starting a task even though I'd only just started the job

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new starters a chance they need time to build there knowledge up on the stock and take time out of the day to give extra training

Worked for Card Factory? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Card Factory reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Card Factory CEO Richard Hayes. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Card Factory employees.