Cardinal Fitness Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
CEO

1. Great job for younger kids b/c no room for growth.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cardinal is definitely a great place for high school and college age kids to work; flexible hours, a free gym membership, and a great place to learn customer service skills since you are constantly interacting with the members.

Cons

Club locations that are not consistly very busy do not get the attention that the busier clubs get: newer equipment, newer tv's, and washroom upgrades every few years. Also, there is really no room for growth at this company. The highest position I have ever seen anyone reach (that was not a family member of the owners of the cardinal fitness chain) was a full-time sales manager at only one club location and they make squat.

Advice to Management

You should keep positions within the company open to newer employees, not just family and good friends.

2. revolving door of management, big ego dictator managers, upper management a complete joke no pay raise in 5 years,

Pros

decent pay to start, make youre own hours to start, other locations alot more laid back

Cons

i worked at the suckhole location that cannot hold on to a manager if its life depended on it, no raise after 5 years at all, no room for growth, management is a complete and utter joke who steal from your commisions, no paid time off, and management doesnt even respect your set schedule

Advice to Management

regionals are a joke, you praise us one week for decent sales then write us up for low sales the next week, you are simply un-respectable.

3. Micormanged

Current Employee - Front Desk Weekend Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Weekend Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours, had a decent pay. Was able to request days off. At the beginning their values seemed to align with what I had in mind.

Cons

Personal growth is a but limited, upper management have favorites and give them promotions. Company slowly changed values because competition was attracting all the costumers.

5. Good Starter Job

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time

Pros

Great place to start working in high school or college. If you are a hard worker, there are opportunities for promotions. All employees are very close.

Cons

The highest you can go without being a family member of those who started the business is General Manager of one club. There is a lot of inappropriate (sexual) behavior among employees with employees as well as among employees with club members.

6. Cardinal Fitness was a great place to work, very friendly and energetic staff

Current Employee - Child Care Provider in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Child Care Provider in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Cardinal was great for a high school job. The coworkers were my age or in college. Management was easy going and flexible with scheduling.

Cons

There was really no room for promotion or pay increase.

7. Working here gave me the customer service skills that I have taken with me to further my career.

Former Employee - Back-Up Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Back-Up Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Face to face with members Opportunity to lead a team Small gym setting

Cons

Staff may be hard to manage at times ( calling off short notice, being late, sluggish)

Advice to Management

Management must manage instead of befriending employees. The franchise as a whole is great but individual clubs need the guidance of upper management from time to time.

Great if you want to go no where

Former Employee - Day Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Day Manager in Fishers, IN

Pros

You were given a free membership to work out at any Cardinal Fitness facility and that is essentially the only reason to come here for a part time job.

Cons

At my club where I was day manager there was no reason to hire anyone for full time work. Horrible pay in general No benefits what-so-ever No reason to work hard because you will not get promoted If you somehow manage to become a club manager you have a four to five year wait before you can obtain your own "club". And chances are those clubs have already been promised to others nation wide. No reimbursement for purchasing. At my club the personal trainers dictated who could work and they fought amongst themselves constantly.

Advice to Management

I have no positive advice to offer, certainly you offer cheap work out facility but there is no real love for the clubs. Simply a love of cheap access. I would encourage you to seek ways to make members feel they have vested interest in the staff and the well being of the club.

9. Aka Charter Fitness...One of the most shady insensitive companies ever!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For front desk people it was an overall easy job. You had a set list of things to complete and you could sit around for the remainder of your time. I loved the members and most of the people I worked with. Free membership.

Cons

This company has no corporate numbers and they screw stuff up all the time so people flip out on us. The pay is horrible, there is no benefits, you have to buy your own $30 shirts, pay for your cpr class, and the turnover rate is high. Here's the "best" for last. They can move a town over with hardly any notice and transfer everyones memberships and keep them on contract forcing them to pay a $60 early termination fee and their last months dues. Oh and did I say there is no corporate number? Oh and that everyone working at that location lost their jobs? Yeah on a 5 day notice. Horrible company!

Advice to Management

I was a manager my advice to corporate is that they need to stop being so shady and just be up front. Give members a chance to cancel, give your employees some compensation or a chance to find another job. Your giving your name a bad rep!

10. Not a bad job to get you by, but don't expect any kind of professional growth or advancement

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer

Pros

-fun work environment -trainers set their own hours -management was flexible towards taking time off -management was eager to book as many training clients as possible

Cons

-low pay compared to other gyms -no benefits of any kind -no opportunity for raises -trainers cannot be paid for more than 40 clock hours/week (management doesn't want to pay overtime)

Advice to Management

Don't be all about the bottom line, pay attention (and some recognition) to your employees. Instead of hiring 8 or 9 trainers for one location, make sure your current people are fully booked first.

11. Decent Place to work but No Growth!

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

Pros

Great Co-workers You can miss as many days as you want as long as you have someone to cover your shift. Easy place to work at

Cons

Bad pay(8.25/hr) No Full time positions Never give you a raise! only when the law says it. You get blamed if a member has something to complain about Managers dont do ANYTHING! They sit in the office while front desk crew has to do everything! NO BENEFITS!! (you will think that a health club will at least offer health benefits) No paid vacation For Part Time Managers: They get paid 10/hr and upper management is up there butts about everything! Full-Time managers: Get paid 1000/ every 2 weeks. GM is constantly breathing down their necks about why a member cancelled, why aren't they any new members signing up?? And if you don't meet a requirement on how much you sell personal training...They FIRE YOU!

RSS Feed </> Embed