Cardinal Fitness Reviews

1. Good Starter Job

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time

Pros

Great place to start working in high school or college. If you are a hard worker, there are opportunities for promotions. All employees are very close.

Cons

The highest you can go without being a family member of those who started the business is General Manager of one club. There is a lot of inappropriate (sexual) behavior among employees with employees as well as among employees with club members.

2. revolving door of management, big ego dictator managers, upper management a complete joke no pay raise in 5 years,

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

decent pay to start, make youre own hours to start, other locations alot more laid back

Cons

i worked at the suckhole location that cannot hold on to a manager if its life depended on it, no raise after 5 years at all, no room for growth, management is a complete and utter joke who steal from your commisions, no paid time off, and management doesnt even respect your set schedule

Advice to Management

regionals are a joke, you praise us one week for decent sales then write us up for low sales the next week, you are simply un-respectable.

3. Micormanged

Current Employee - Front Desk Weekend Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Weekend Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL

I have been working at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours, had a decent pay. Was able to request days off. At the beginning their values seemed to align with what I had in mind.

Cons

Personal growth is a but limited, upper management have favorites and give them promotions. Company slowly changed values because competition was attracting all the costumers.

5. Cardinal Fitness was a great place to work, very friendly and energetic staff

Current Employee - Child Care Provider in Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Child Care Provider in Fishers, IN

I have been working at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Cardinal was great for a high school job. The coworkers were my age or in college. Management was easy going and flexible with scheduling.

Cons

There was really no room for promotion or pay increase.

6. Working here gave me the customer service skills that I have taken with me to further my career.

Former Employee - Back-Up Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Back-Up Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Face to face with members
    Opportunity to lead a team
    Small gym setting

Cons

Staff may be hard to manage at times ( calling off short notice, being late, sluggish)

Advice to Management

Management must manage instead of befriending employees. The franchise as a whole is great but individual clubs need the guidance of upper management from time to time.

7. Independent Personal Trainer

Former Contractor - Personal Trainer Since They Opened in Bloomington, IN
    Former Contractor - Personal Trainer Since They Opened in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Cardinal Fitness as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was good I brought in clients and the staff was trained to set up consultations .There were four personal trainers for the most part of us were booked solid but all members had a chance to meet all of us and make a choice based on there needs not just who was in the gym that day. The original owner was proffessional.

Cons

management changed several times an still continues to change no one since has had a strong managment or fitness background they seem to all B S there way into the job. Being very successful as an indepent and having very well known clients they decided to go with in house training staff with no hands on experience but because they were younger they thought it would be more appealing after several talks with them about the demographics it went on deaf ears they selected who would get clients weather it was a good fit for the client or not. After training celeberties I was shoved out to find out they have gone back to independents when you have a letter of reccomendation from John Mellencamp because you worked with his family and him along with the Fergusons why would you not be a asset to them? Obviously no sense of business and whats best for the company but Cardinal allowed them to make that decission considering how many people I signed and sought me out due to my credintials very foolish on there part and shame on Cardinal for allowing this behaviour.

Advice to Management

Look deeper into who you are allowing to make these choices for you.

Great if you want to go no where

Former Employee - Day Manager in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Day Manager in Fishers, IN

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

You were given a free membership to work out at any Cardinal Fitness facility and that is essentially the only reason to come here for a part time job.

Cons

At my club where I was day manager there was no reason to hire anyone for full time work.
    Horrible pay in general
    No benefits what-so-ever
    No reason to work hard because you will not get promoted
    If you somehow manage to become a club manager you have a four to five year wait before you can obtain your own "club". And chances are those clubs have already been promised to others nation wide.
    No reimbursement for purchasing.
    At my club the personal trainers dictated who could work and they fought amongst themselves constantly.

Advice to Management

I have no positive advice to offer, certainly you offer cheap work out facility but there is no real love for the clubs. Simply a love of cheap access. I would encourage you to seek ways to make members feel they have vested interest in the staff and the well being of the club.

9. Aka Charter Fitness...One of the most shady insensitive companies ever!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Cardinal Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For front desk people it was an overall easy job. You had a set list of things to complete and you could sit around for the remainder of your time. I loved the members and most of the people I worked with. Free membership.

Cons

This company has no corporate numbers and they screw stuff up all the time so people flip out on us. The pay is horrible, there is no benefits, you have to buy your own $30 shirts, pay for your cpr class, and the turnover rate is high. Here's the "best" for last. They can move a town over with hardly any notice and transfer everyones memberships and keep them on contract forcing them to pay a $60 early termination fee and their last months dues. Oh and did I say there is no corporate number? Oh and that everyone working at that location lost their jobs? Yeah on a 5 day notice. Horrible company!

Advice to Management

I was a manager my advice to corporate is that they need to stop being so shady and just be up front. Give members a chance to cancel, give your employees some compensation or a chance to find another job. Your giving your name a bad rep!

10. Not a bad job to get you by, but don't expect any kind of professional growth or advancement

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer

I worked at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

-fun work environment
    -trainers set their own hours
    -management was flexible towards taking time off
    -management was eager to book as many training clients as possible

Cons

-low pay compared to other gyms
    -no benefits of any kind
    -no opportunity for raises
    -trainers cannot be paid for more than 40 clock hours/week (management doesn't want to pay overtime)

Advice to Management

Don't be all about the bottom line, pay attention (and some recognition) to your employees. Instead of hiring 8 or 9 trainers for one location, make sure your current people are fully booked first.

11. Decent Place to work but No Growth!

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

I have been working at Cardinal Fitness

Pros

Great Co-workers
    You can miss as many days as you want as long as you have someone to cover your shift.
    Easy place to work at

Cons

Bad pay(8.25/hr)
    No Full time positions
    Never give you a raise! only when the law says it.
    You get blamed if a member has something to complain about
    Managers dont do ANYTHING! They sit in the office while front desk crew has to do everything!
    NO BENEFITS!! (you will think that a health club will at least offer health benefits)
    No paid vacation

For Part Time Managers: They get paid 10/hr and upper management is up there butts about everything!

Full-Time managers: Get paid 1000/ every 2 weeks. GM is constantly breathing down their necks about why a member cancelled, why aren't they any new members signing up?? And if you don't meet a requirement on how much you sell personal training...They FIRE YOU!