Cardinal Fitness

CEO

Good Starter Job

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Glen Ellyn, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glen Ellyn, IL

Pros

Great place to start working in high school or college. If you are a hard worker, there are opportunities for promotions. All employees are very close.

Cons

The highest you can go without being a family member of those who started the business is General Manager of one club. There is a lot of inappropriate (sexual) behavior among employees with employees as well as among employees with club members.

Cardinal Fitness was a great place to work, very friendly and energetic staff

Current Employee - Child Care Provider  in  Fishers, IN
    Current Employee - Child Care Provider in Fishers, IN

Pros

Working at Cardinal was great for a high school job. The coworkers were my age or in college. Management was easy going and flexible with scheduling.

Cons

There was really no room for promotion or pay increase.

Working here gave me the customer service skills that I have taken with me to further my career.

Former Employee - Back-Up Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Back-Up Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Face to face with members
    Opportunity to lead a team
    Small gym setting

Cons

Staff may be hard to manage at times ( calling off short notice, being late, sluggish)

Management must manage instead of befriending employees. The franchise as a whole is great but individual clubs need the guidance of upper management from time to time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Independent Personal Trainer

Former Employee - Personal Trainer Since They Opened  in  Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer Since They Opened in Bloomington, IN

Pros

In the beginning it was good I brought in clients and the staff was trained to set up consultations .There were four personal trainers for the most part of us were booked solid but all members had a chance to meet all of us and make a choice based on there needs not just who was in the gym that day. The original owner was proffessional.

Cons

management changed several times an still continues to change no one since has had a strong managment or fitness background they seem to all B S there way into the job. Being very successful as an indepent and having very well known clients they decided to go with in house training staff with no hands on experience but because they were younger they thought it would be more appealing after several talks with them about the demographics it went on deaf ears they selected who would get clients weather it was a good fit for the client or not. After training celeberties I was shoved out to find out they have gone back to independents when you have a letter of reccomendation from John Mellencamp because you worked with his family and him along with the Fergusons why would you not be a asset to them? Obviously no sense of business and whats best for the company but Cardinal allowed them to make that decission considering how many people I signed and sought me out due to my credintials very foolish on there part and shame on Cardinal for allowing this behaviour.

Look deeper into who you are allowing to make these choices for you.

Great if you want to go no where

Former Employee - Day Manager  in  Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Day Manager in Fishers, IN

Pros

You were given a free membership to work out at any Cardinal Fitness facility and that is essentially the only reason to come here for a part time job.

Cons

At my club where I was day manager there was no reason to hire anyone for full time work.
    Horrible pay in general
    No benefits what-so-ever
    No reason to work hard because you will not get promoted
    If you somehow manage to become a club manager you have a four to five year wait before you can obtain your own "club". And chances are those clubs have already been promised to others nation wide.
    No reimbursement for purchasing.
    At my club the personal trainers dictated who could work and they fought amongst themselves constantly.

I have no positive advice to offer, certainly you offer cheap work out facility but there is no real love for the clubs. Simply a love of cheap access. I would encourage you to seek ways to make members feel they have vested interest in the staff and the well being of the club.

Aka Charter Fitness...One of the most shady insensitive companies ever!

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

For front desk people it was an overall easy job. You had a set list of things to complete and you could sit around for the remainder of your time. I loved the members and most of the people I worked with. Free membership.

Cons

This company has no corporate numbers and they screw stuff up all the time so people flip out on us. The pay is horrible, there is no benefits, you have to buy your own $30 shirts, pay for your cpr class, and the turnover rate is high. Here's the "best" for last. They can move a town over with hardly any notice and transfer everyones memberships and keep them on contract forcing them to pay a $60 early termination fee and their last months dues. Oh and did I say there is no corporate number? Oh and that everyone working at that location lost their jobs? Yeah on a 5 day notice. Horrible company!

I was a manager my advice to corporate is that they need to stop being so shady and just be up front. Give members a chance to cancel, give your employees some compensation or a chance to find another job. Your giving your name a bad rep!

Not a bad job to get you by, but don't expect any kind of professional growth or advancement

Former Employee - Personal Trainer

Pros

-fun work environment
    -trainers set their own hours
    -management was flexible towards taking time off
    -management was eager to book as many training clients as possible

Cons

-low pay compared to other gyms
    -no benefits of any kind
    -no opportunity for raises
    -trainers cannot be paid for more than 40 clock hours/week (management doesn't want to pay overtime)

Don't be all about the bottom line, pay attention (and some recognition) to your employees. Instead of hiring 8 or 9 trainers for one location, make sure your current people are fully booked first.

Decent Place to work but No Growth!

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist

Pros

Great Co-workers
    You can miss as many days as you want as long as you have someone to cover your shift.
    Easy place to work at

Cons

Bad pay(8.25/hr)
    No Full time positions
    Never give you a raise! only when the law says it.
    You get blamed if a member has something to complain about
    Managers dont do ANYTHING! They sit in the office while front desk crew has to do everything!
    NO BENEFITS!! (you will think that a health club will at least offer health benefits)
    No paid vacation

For Part Time Managers: They get paid 10/hr and upper management is up there butts about everything!

Full-Time managers: Get paid 1000/ every 2 weeks. GM is constantly breathing down their necks about why a member cancelled, why aren't they any new members signing up?? And if you don't meet a requirement on how much you sell personal training...They FIRE YOU!

It ended up being a very disappointing experience.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer

Pros

Pay per session is slightly higher than in most clubs (not counting higher end places like Lifetime Fitness). Encourage NASM which is what I personally prefer. Ok if you're just trying to break into the business but keep looking for other opportunities elsewhere because chances are you'll dislike the place within 3 months.

Cons

I wasn't there for long but when I talked to the "GM" of the club when I first started they said that the whole company had just introduced a personal training feature. I was getting to know her and asked her about her industry background she said she hadn't been in fitness long and that she was afraid of selling personal training because she never did it before and didn't even know how to do it. When I asked her what type of sales and product training she was given before they introduced it she literally said "NONE." She then said that upper management was putting a lot of pressure on the GMs to meet sales goals and she was worried because other GMs were losing their jobs for not selling enough personal training packages.

After being told to attend "a mandatory personal training meeting" it wasn't long before I realized that the upper managers had NO IDEA about how to sell personal training either! And here they were trying to tell us how to effectively sell a product that they almost literally had no firsthand experience selling! (I've been a full time personal trainer with a solid sales track record for 5 years before going there). Using silly anecdotes like "Personal Training is like a GPS" and "Tell them their Cable TV won't help them get in shape so cancel it and invest in training." And during mock sales scenarios these upper managers could not even explain to me something as simple as body composition. It was literally the blind leading the blind, and the cockiness of the upper managers was outrageous.

When you're actually training clients it is unbearable. Most of my clients wanted to train at night and you can forget about getting at either the one smith machine or the one squat rack. Impossible to keep a session flowing when you have to quickly change up routines because the tools you need are already in use. Frustrating when thoughts like "I wanted to show you the basics of form but I can't because there are five 18 year old kids hogging the smith machine" pop into your mind. Another thing the upper managers told us was that at their prices there was no reason why a club couldn't sell $30,000 a month because it's so much cheaper than the competition. What they DON'T recognize is it's like training in a sardine can so when you look at it like that the value isn't really that good for the customer.

It gives me no pleasure to put it in these terms but honestly you should be ashamed for beginning a "Personal Training" program in some of the ways that you did. It was to the point of unprofessional. You forced it into the club without even insuring that your sales staff had the product knowledge to sell it properly. You don't even know how to sell it yourselves!!! (A Senior manager even admitted to me he had no experience selling training packages.) Way to send the workers that try to run a good club for you down the road of failure. This experience really left a bitter taste. Good luck.

Having NO job is better than working here. That is not a joke.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

Pros

You get to know a lot of good people like the members and your fellow co-workers. You learn a little bit of a lot of areas that can come in handy later on when going for another job. You get an idea about what it is like to run a business.

Cons

This is not an exaggeration, this is telling the honest truth. If you are not connected or in their click, you will go nowhere, period. It seemed that everyone in their positions was because they were dating their boss, related to someone in a high position, or they went to college with the owners. So it's already understood that you will never go very far, unless you become General manager in which case you still dont get offered any health insurance and only hear from your bosses if you do something wrong. I don't think I ever got positive feedback when I went above and beyond, you only heard from your manager when you did something wrong. This company is micromanaged to the extreme. They FORCE you to work a minimum of 45 hours a week and expect you to put in hours of your own time off the clock to promote THEIR business! (is that even legal?!?!?) I regularly found myself working 50 or more hours a week then actually came in 2 hours under 45 hours one week and was threatened with a writeup the next time I did it again. They make the buck stop with you for anything that goes wrong in the club where youre working and it doesnt matter if its your fault or not. Ridiculous deadlines all the time like taking pictures of signs and e-mailing them to your "reps" so they can verify you hung up the sign in the right places in the club. You miss a deadline, automatic writeup. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I left there. I HATED getting up for work every morning knowing I was going to a place where I had no chance for advancment and would be unappreciated.

The saddest thing is, almost everyone in the company feels like this and either the owners are ignorant to that fact or they pretend they dont see it. A lot of them talked about quitting if only they really need the money. But almost all of them said they were on the lookout for other jobs. The owners are lucky that they still have people there to run their gyms. One day they will realize that they wished they had appreciated some really good hardworking people while they were there. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I left there.

Worked for Cardinal Fitness? Contribute to the Community!