Cardinal Health

Cardinal Health Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Cardinal Health Chairman & CEO George S. Barrett

George S. Barrett

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance and supportive of community causes"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Good benefits, clean work environment, strong Management Team"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "While encouraged, there will be times when work-life balance is not very balanced"
    in 20 reviews
  • "poor work-life balance, long hours, management is ever-changing, lots of turnover"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Middle Management Is Oblivious

IT Lead (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

Pros+ Nice campus and amenities.
    + Paid paternal leave

Cons- Middle management and some executives have little to no interest in their employees.
    - Managers make fun of employees behind closed doors, nice to your face. Won't realize potential in people or give them opportunities and instead write them off (I've sat in these meetings).
    - No training or continuing education because they spent its budget elsewhere (shhh).
    - The benefits used to be great, but went downhill fast. Every year they cut them.
    - There's a "re-org" every year.
    - It's frowned upon if you don't take your laptop home with you. Do more with less!
    - Cubicled, silo structured teams ensure you have a meeting every minute of the day (see "take laptop home" comment above).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best ideas come from below. Stop treating employees like they're children - picking favorites and ignoring ideas like they're moot. Invest in them and allow them to grow.

Good company

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsGreat benefits - tuition reimbursement, health care, 401k match, on site gym.
    People generally driven and personable.
    Company outings.
    Basically you get out what you put in. In order to move up you have to go above and beyond your job duties.

ConsWork can be a bit monotonous and boring.
    Not a lot of community outreach that a lot of other central Ohio companies are involved with.
    Expectation to stay in role at least 2 years.

Excellent large company to work for

Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsHealthcare jobsare always in demand

ConsToo disjoined and lack of central control

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving the culture

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Nuclear Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee)

ProsI had a great experience. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I was given a lot of opportunities to learn and to be a part of the team. It was tough at first getting used to working the early shift, but everyone was supportive.

ConsIt would be nice if upper management replaced some of the furniture and equipment. Some of it is looking a little worn.

Great workplace

Intern (Current Employee)
    Guaynabo, PR

ProsGret compensation
    Great benefits package
    Great environment
    Great culture

ConsI did not find anythymg back while working with them

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Great company

Operations (Current Employee)

Prosgood benefits, opportunities to learn

ConsLack of advancement at certain facilities

Operation supervisor

ProsGreat company with good benefits and PTO, from day one. Depending on what leadership you find in each division you could find a very rewarding career.

ConsDo not work for the manufacturing facility, senior management still has very old school mentality that does not match with Cardinal Health values

excellent company

Senior Technician Nuclear Manufacturing (Current Employee)
    Augusta, GA

Prosability to move within the company for advancement if you are able to relocate. great benefits and paid time off.

Consmy job is only available for night shift which has been difficult to maintain a home life while working nights.

Advice to Senior Managementmiddle management needs to take a more hands on approach, I have had a new regional/district manager for over six months and she has not step foot in our location yet.

Good entry-level Tech job, though the pay could be better.

PET Technician II (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

ProsEntry level, good experience for learning cGMP and general FDA regulatory standards, ability to move into better positions relatively quickly, quality training (at my site at least).

Career opportunities are a big plus. Not only are there plenty of places to go within the company but the experience provided is applicable to many other companies and industries.

Paid time off is a big plus. You start with 19 days a year, which is more than I can say for any other company that I interviewed for before this job.

As far as work conditions go, there are no complaints. My job is not physically demanding and while there is a lot to learn, once it is learned a routine is easy to manage.

ConsThis is a nights job. It's not a con that can be helped, of course, but if you're considering this job don't blow this fact off. The schedule is not for everyone.

Also, the pay could be much better. Quality Control Specialists have similar experience and education requirements but starting pay for them is significantly higher. If both jobs are available, apply for Quality before Tech. Yearly merit raises barely track inflation rates. On the other hand, management is open to performance raises if you do your job well, and that makes up for part of it, but it will take a while to get to that point (2 years or so).

Benefits are very standard (should be better for a company this size) and health insurance plans are not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a bachelor's degree be a requirement for the position and put base starting pay at $20-$21/hr for the Tech I position. This will help mitigate some of the pay discrepancy between similarly qualified workers in different positions, and if the entire staff has a degree then there is an equal playing field. You would also be more likely to attract better applicants across the board this way, meaning fewer screw-ups over the long term. Money saved from that would more than make up for the difference in pay.

I don't have any large complaints besides the above. Management does a pretty good job as far as I can tell.

Overall an excellent company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent retirement plans with matching 401K

ConsPoor management at the Houston Pharmacy Operations Center.

Worked for Cardinal Health? Contribute to the Community!

Cardinal Health Videos

Cardinal Health – Why Work for Us?

Cardinal Health, Inc. is a Fortune 19 company that improves the cost-effectiveness of healthcare. As the business behind healthcare, Cardinal Health helps pharmacies, hospitals and ambulatory care sites focus on patient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cardinal Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cardinal Health CEO George S. Barrett. All 424 reviews posted anonymously by Cardinal Health employees.